Rich: Ekmark High on UConn | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Rich: Ekmark High on UConn

Status
Not open for further replies.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
On timing of an offer, I think Geno having been burned on a certain PG a few years ago, tends not to offer prior to the start of Junior year, or to discourage an actual commitment prior to that time. Not sure it is a hard and fast rule and I am sure there are levels of offer as in 'we are definitely interested', 'we will offer', and 'here is your offer'.
And yup - generally coaches kids are a blessing as they have learned more about the game than just their own skill set.

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
Maria Conlon: two NC game starts, 77 minutes, one turnover.
Bingo.

It's not difficult to appreciate Maria having seen her play at UConn alongside DT, or maybe even not having seen her play, just looking at stats like that and knowing she was the point guard on two national championship teams.

But to truly appreciate her as a player, you had to know how TOUGH she was. And watching her play in high school, that toughness was apparent, because she was always double and triple teamed, fouled hard, and I won't say she was beaten up, but she took a physical beating every game. And she still led her team to championships, making big play after big play, including many big shots.

Maria's physical and mental toughness was her greatest asset, and was probably what earned her scholarship offer from UConn.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Bingo.

It's not difficult to appreciate Maria having seen her play at UConn alongside DT, or maybe even not having seen her play, just looking at stats like that and knowing she was the point guard on two national championship teams.

But to truly appreciate her as a player, you had to know how TOUGH she was. And watching her play in high school, that toughness was apparent, because she was always double and triple teamed, fouled hard, and I won't say she was beaten up, but she took a physical beating every game. And she still led her team to championships, making big play after big play, including many big shots.

Maria's physical and mental toughness was her greatest asset, and was probably what earned her scholarship offer from UConn.
Nice summary - I think the mental aspect of the game cannot be overstated and Maria had a warrior mentality. Maybe not as 'dramatic' as current asst. Shea, but just as fierce.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
And 2 rings!

She played a lot of minutes!
Indeed! She had a tough act to follow at the starting pg spot, but she represented and defended the tradition of her home state admirably.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
On timing of an offer, I think Geno having been burned on a certain PG a few years ago, tends not to offer prior to the start of Junior year, or to discourage an actual commitment prior to that time. Not sure it is a hard and fast rule and I am sure there are levels of offer as in 'we are definitely interested', 'we will offer', and 'here is your offer'.
And yup - generally coaches kids are a blessing as they have learned more about the game than just their own skill set.
On the flip side, players like Reimer wanted to commit but Geno said no. sometimes it works out, like in Bree Stewart's case, and Geno is certainly not going to change the way he operates based on any angst fans feel...

But personally if a kid has made visits to several schools, and loves UCONN and wants to commit, I'd rather see her do so. Gemelos committed without ever visiting another school, nor visiting UCONN. that of course was a bad idea. But Taya had been to campus and i bet she'd gone to other schools too. Maybe it ended up for the best and Geno wasn't as high on her as time went on, but i can't help but wonder if it doesn't work against us sometimes ("i won't take a verbal from you until ___"). was Diamond ready to verbal earlier?

can't argue with Geno's success rate at all. and kids do change and maybe it's good that he makes them wait.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Actually three rings in total. No UConn player has more.. In fact, no player from any school has more.
Diana, Ashley Battle, Morgan Valley, Jess Moore and Maria Conlon all have 3, right? that was Diana's recruiting class...

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Indeed! She had a tough act to follow at the starting pg spot, but she represented and defended the tradition of her home state admirably.
You mean the winner of the first THREE Lieberman Awards? (Some kid named Taurasi won 2; no one else has more than 1.)

images

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
What glory to be a Uconn WCBB supporter - Only 3 time Lieberman, only 2 time Lieberman, and only 3 time Wade winners all played for our team!

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
What glory to be a Uconn WCBB supporter - Only 3 time Lieberman, only 2 time Lieberman, and only 3 time Wade winners all played for our team!
Very succinctly put. Three different players.

bruinbball

@biglurp
Reaction Score
On the flip side, players like Reimer wanted to commit but Geno said no. sometimes it works out, like in Bree Stewart's case, and Geno is certainly not going to change the way he operates based on any angst fans feel...

But personally if a kid has made visits to several schools, and loves UCONN and wants to commit, I'd rather see her do so. Gemelos committed without ever visiting another school, nor visiting UCONN. that of course was a bad idea. But Taya had been to campus and i bet she'd gone to other schools too. Maybe it ended up for the best and Geno wasn't as high on her as time went on, but i can't help but wonder if it doesn't work against us sometimes ("i won't take a verbal from you until ___"). was Diamond ready to verbal earlier?

can't argue with Geno's success rate at all. and kids do change and maybe it's good that he makes them wait.

Hello Eric! Maybe I missed something, have we be told or had it confirmed that Geno decided against Reimer and not her just deciding to attend Notre Dame with UConn still on the board?

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Hello Eric! Maybe I missed something, have we be told or had it confirmed that Geno decided against Reimer and not her just deciding to attend Notre Dame with UConn still on the board?
Hey Bruin... you didn't miss anything. back when she was a junior at one point, it was reported that Taya wanted to give UCONN a verbal. but Geno said no. and then either she lost interest, or Geno soured on her. either way i'm sure she's happy at ND, but the selfish part of me wishes every really good player who wanted to come to UCONN was a proper match. i just think Geno shouldn't have made her a scholly offer if he wasn't prepared to have her say "yes"...

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Hey Bruin... you didn't miss anything. back when she was a junior at one point, it was reported that Taya wanted to give UCONN a verbal. but Geno said no. and then either she lost interest, or Geno soured on her. either way i'm sure she's happy at ND, but the selfish part of me wishes every really good player who wanted to come to UCONN was a proper match. i just think Geno shouldn't have made her a scholly offer if he wasn't prepared to have her say "yes"...
Eric - you sure? I never saw anything like that reported this past year and find it surprising that Geno would have done that.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Within the past week or so, one of the blogs reported that Geno would not accept a verbal from Taya Reimer during her sophomore season. (I think it was after her offer that we learned who Taya was and that she had an offer.) Presumably, Geno does not like kids to decide that early following Jacki Gemelos's change of heart about 8 years ago.

We heard Geno complain about bigs who "just stand around" after coming back from scouting Taya. We also know that Taya's team lost fairly early in her state tourney in a game in which she scored about 8 points.

Was Geno talking about Taya? Did Geno sour on her based on her play? Was he upset because he sensed she was going to Notre Dame? I think there is a lot of speculation, but it seems clear now that Taya changed her mind sometime after Geno would not accept her verbal. But we do not know why.

Reaction Score
I think there is a lot of speculation, but it seems clear now that Taya changed her mind sometime after Geno would not accept her verbal. But we do not know why.

And even if she had verballed, she may have changed her mind anyway.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Within the past week or so, one of the blogs reported that Geno would not accept a verbal from Taya Reimer during her sophomore season. (I think it was after her offer that we learned who Taya was and that she had an offer.) Presumably, Geno does not like kids to decide that early following Jacki Gemelos's change of heart about 8 years ago.

We heard Geno complain about bigs who "just stand around" after coming back from scouting Taya. We also know that Taya's team lost fairly early in her state tourney in a game in which she scored about 8 points.

Was Geno talking about Taya? Did Geno sour on her based on her play? Was he upset because he sensed she was going to Notre Dame? I think there is a lot of speculation, but it seems clear now that Taya changed her mind sometime after Geno would not accept her verbal. But we do not know why.
Thanks - so sophmore, not junior year as Eric had typed. And so the Uconn offer came after the 'refusal to accept', because she didn't get offered during her sophmore season. (I am also a little leery of these reports as I doubt anything comes from Uconn staff as that is not allowed.)

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Thanks - so sophmore, not junior year as Eric had typed. And so the Uconn offer came after the 'refusal to accept', because she didn't get offered during her sophmore season. (I am also a little leery of these reports as I doubt anything comes from Uconn staff as that is not allowed.)
In March 2011, it was confirmed that Reimer had an offer from UConn. That was her sophomore season.

Last week, it was reported that Taya had wanted to verbal some time ago, but Geno wouldn't accept it. Presumably, Geno thought it was too early. That report last week was news to me.

When did Geno refuse to accept the verbal? I think her sophomore year; Eric thinks her junior year. The blog that reported that has been taken down, so I cannot check it.

The offer came before her interest in verbaling. A player can't commit until she has an offer.

Anonymous reports may come from UConn staff--the reports are attributed to a "source.". The staff cannot speak on the record until a LOI is received.

The main point is that Reimer was willing to commit, but reportedly Geno was not ready to accept. Over time Taya changed her mind. Would she have stuck with UConn if she had verbaled? Maybe or maybe not.

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
A couple of verbal commitments - from Stewart and Tuck - may have come after Reimer received her offer. Having seen plenty of play by Stewart and Tuck, and a bit of Reimer, as well, it seemed months ago to me that Reimer would have been the #3 power forward at UConn for a few years. Maybe in the regular rotation, maybe not.

So TR's decision not to come to UConn did not surprise me at all.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
A couple of verbal commitments - from Stewart and Tuck - may have come after Reimer received her offer. Having seen plenty of play by Stewart and Tuck, and a bit of Reimer, as well, it seemed months ago to me that Reimer would have been the #3 power forward at UConn for a few years. Maybe in the regular rotation, maybe not.

So TR's decision not to come to UConn did not surprise me at all.

I'd have to check the dates, but I think Morgan committed fairly early, while Stewie was much later. I think what you suspect is likely true w.r.t. Breanna.

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
I'd have to check the dates, but I think Morgan committed fairly early, while Stewie was much later. I think what you suspect is likely true w.r.t. Breanna.
I think you're right about Morgan's early commit.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score

Morgan committed in mid-November, 2010. Remember she was at the Nov 16, 2010 game against Baylor (sitting next to Stewart, btw) and committed either during that trip to Storrs or immediately thereafter. Stewart committed while in Storrs for the game against Duke on Jan 31, 2011.

As for Reimer's desire to commit to UConn during her soph year, which blog reported that? I suspect it was removed at the request of the UConn staff.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom