Rich: Defensive matchups will be difficult | The Boneyard

Rich: Defensive matchups will be difficult

Status
Not open for further replies.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
“It’s not an easy decision to make and just say, `OK, we’ll see if Kelly can handle Chiney and then we’ll worry about everything else.’ Because I don’t know that that’s necessarily the best way to go about it all the time. So I think we’re going to have to be smart about it. And I’m not worried about what Kelly will do defensively. I don’t think there’s anybody in the country that she can’t guard. But, at the same time, I think we’ve got to be careful what the other match-ups are because is that helping ourselves in one area and hurting ourselves in another.

LINK

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
I like the match-up Kelly vs. Chiney, big time.

Perhaps Thomas of Maryland had the same thoughts as you. Thomas, like Ogwumike, is an All-American with comparable height and talent, though unmistakably stronger (have you seen her shoulders?), on the best rebounding team in the country. Maybe us Husky fans will get lucky again and Ogwumike will just coincidentally have a bad game like Thomas did when Faris guarded her.

On the other hand, while I sincerely wish that Ogwumike thinks the way you do, my guess is she is far more apprehensive about Faris guarding her and may be extra careful not to have a "coincidentally" bad game. If Faris gets "lucky" and has yet another great defensive effort against yet another All-American in yet another high profile game, I think this will tip the scales for her being considered an All-American.

HGN

Reaction Score
ConnBoy , I think Cardfan is just trying to be funny........We clearly will need someone bigger to guard Chiney....Stephanie perhaps , because Chiney loves to be down in the paint anyway. Dolson territory. Or even perhaps Stewie if Geno starts her. But Chiney is too active , big , and strong for Kelly all game long. I can see Kelly on Kokenis or Tinkle. Someone who likes to roam on the perimeter.

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
ConnBoy , I think Cardfan is just trying to be funny........We clearly will need someone bigger to guard Chiney....Stephanie perhaps , because Chiney loves to be down in the paint anyway. Dolson territory. Or even perhaps Stewie if Geno starts her. But Chiney is too active , big , and strong for Kelly all game long. I can see Kelly on Kokenis or Tinkle. Someone who likes to roam on the perimeter.
People keep underestimating Kelly. How many more times does she have show up the doubters?

bruinbball

@biglurp
Reaction Score
Reaction Score

I don't doubt Faris is a great defender. I like Chiney's O and boarding skills better. Tinkle is too big for Faris to cover.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Chiney will be guarded by a myriad of players, including Faris. Geno will be focusing on shutting her down and keeping a fresh body on her.

He will also have players doubling on her, so Ogwumike will have to be ready to pass out of the double to an open player. Considering that she has only 15 assists to her 23 TO's, it would be a good strategy.

I saw a Stanford fan say they are a good 3 point shooting team at 30th in the country. That didn't include the last two games which clearly put them outside the top 50. If UConn can put moderate pressure on the 3 point shooters, they will struggle.

Reaction Score
Perhaps Thomas of Maryland had the same thoughts as you. Thomas, like Ogwumike, is an All-American with comparable height and talent, though unmistakably stronger (have you seen her shoulders?), on the best rebounding team in the country. Maybe us Husky fans will get lucky again and Ogwumike will just coincidentally have a bad game like Thomas did when Faris guarded her.

On the other hand, while I sincerely wish that Ogwumike thinks the way you do, my guess is she is far more apprehensive about Faris guarding her and may be extra careful not to have a "coincidentally" bad game. If Faris gets "lucky" and has yet another great defensive effort against yet another All-American in yet another high profile game, I think this will tip the scales for her being considered an All-American.

Chiney is the best rebounder in the country.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
With Kelly on Chiney and Stef and Breanna there as backup support I think it will be a long afternoon for Chiney. Yes I know Chiney had a great game againest Baylor. Againest UConn it will be different. I say that because Kelly stifles offenders and to have 6'5 and Bre with an arm reach of 7'1 backing you up its alot different then playing one on one. One on one you can beat your defender Kelly and one you are fronted with a shot blocker. UConns defense will be to much for Stanford Nnekaless.

To defend Uconn Stanford has to be all over the floor. Is Stanford quick enough to guard Stef one on one underneath? Not in my opinion. Will they double down on her? At times yes. So who will be left open? This season it dosnt matter who is left open everybody else has consistently shown they can knock down treys. Who stops Stewart who is just a scorer? Shes gonna get her points. Can Tinkle Ruef Sammuelson Kokenis keep up with her? I dont think theyre quick enough or tall enough. Defense and depth will wear down Stanford.

Phanthon fouls/calls and injuries are the only thing that can slow UConn down. This UConn team is loaded from 1-10 and all can score from anywhere. If UConn is hitting their shots it could be over early. KML and Bria can put up alot of points in a very short time. They did that last season againest Stanford. This year both have an inside game and both are better defenders. Stewart brings a presence on the periminter that will make it very difficult for Stanford to get a shot off without rushing it.

I have UConn winning by 20+ . Alot will depend on when Geno calls off the dogs. Bria and KML are healthly now. They werent againest Penn St and MD and we won those games by 15. Some of you think my enthusiasm has taken me over the top with this win and you may be right. I think right now with Bria and KML healthly, Kelly a scorer and BB emerging as a top player I think UConn is beginning to see their potential. Stanford is a very very good team. I think UConn is developing into a league of their own and I think Saturday when the rust wears off your gonna see exactly what this UConn team is made of.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Let us be accurate, she is the #12 rebounder in the country.
Those numbers don't include the last two games. I think she is now on the top 5.

Reaction Score
Those numbers don't include the last two games. I think she is now on the top 5.

Chiney is #5. The players "better then her" for stats are Sammie Jensen (Utah Valley), Cheyenne Parker (High Point), Jillian Alleyne (Oregon) and Katherine Harry (DePaul).

I would suggest she is the best rebounder of the top 10 programs in the country right now. Of course, that does not ensure that Stanford will win the game, but she will be a handful.

Reaction Score
People keep underestimating Kelly. How many more times does she have show up the doubters?
It isn't about under estimating Kelly it is more about pulling Steph out of the middle and having her have to chase out on the perimeter against Tinkle or Kokanis

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Well, good she is still improving. But she or wasn't even the best in her class. Cheyanne Parker has led her both years along with a couple of other juniors.

Reaction Score
Well, good she is still improving. But she or wasn't even the best in her class. Cheyanne Parker has led her both years along with a couple of other juniors.
Are you actually seriously suggesting that Cheyanne Parker is the better rebounder? Her team is 7th in the Big South. Statistics alone do not accurately determine the "better" anything.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Are you actually seriously suggesting that Cheyanne Parker is the better rebounder? Her team is 7th in the Big South. Statistics alone do not accurately determine the "better" anything.

Well, your fellow Card fan called Ogwumike the best rebounder in the country. Not statistically and not provable. It's an opinion.

And everyone in the Big South is 0-0 in the conference so how are they 7th?

Reaction Score
Based on numbers? Nope.

She is a great player. An all-american.

No need to go to Tony-esque hyperbole.

I didn't say by numbers. She is best rebounder, skill wise and nose for the ball.

Reaction Score
Well, your fellow Card fan called Ogwumike the best rebounder in the country. Not statistically and not provable. It's an opinion.

And everyone in the Big South is 0-0 in the conference so how are they 7th?

based on me seeing her play. I'm not alone in that opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom