Rich: Defensive matchups will be difficult | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Rich: Defensive matchups will be difficult

Status
Not open for further replies.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Well, your fellow Card fan called Ogwumike the best rebounder in the country. Not statistically and not provable. It's an opinion.

And everyone in the Big South is 0-0 in the conference so how are they 7th?
My only point, DD. The original statement was hyperbole and nothing more.

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
it's provable.

Standards for proof are two-sided, involving reliability and validity. Stats are reliable because everyone agrees what the numbers mean, but you bring up a fair point that the numbers may not be a valid reflection of reality. "A nose for the ball" is a valid trait in regards to rebounding, but how do you reliably make comparisons between people?

Here's an example of how murky your "provable" becomes. You could constrain rebounding numbers to apply to major conferences only. OK, but Harry from DePaul better. You could observe, correctly, that overall Stanford is a better rebounding team hence Ogwumike has better competition from her own teammates. OK, but Maryland is an even better rebounding team, and I'm telling you that Hawkins girl seems to have quite the "nose for the ball." Put Ogwumike in with the same "competition" Hawkins plays with every game to get rebounds and her numbers won't be as good. Her recent average jumped because of outliers. Hawkins could not possibly get such outlier numbers because teammates like the All-American Thomas are just too good at also getting rebounds.

But what matters here is that you think the match-up of Faris on Ogwumike works to Stanford's advantage. You actually have company in the UConn camp. Auriemma said that while Faris can guard anybody, if she is on Ogwumike the whole time he is worried about what Stanford might do with our bigs out on the perimeter. Faris will likely guard Ogwumike most of the time, but not all the time because of this concern.

That's different than the one reason you provided for liking the match up, Ogwumike being (allegedly) the best rebounder in the country. Even if we concede Ogwumike is the best rebounder in the country, she gets a lot of offensive rebounds. Put a supremely athletic and strong "box out" person against a supremely athletic and strong "nose for the ball" person and the "box out" person wins most those matches. Depending on how hot she is Ogwumike might still score well on Faris (though it's amazing how many All-Americans seem to have poor shooting games with Faris guarding them) but her offensive rebounding will not be as effective if a strong, athletic defensive master is determined to stay with her and stop that.

The trouble is that a person really focused on "boxing out" seldom gets a rebound as well, the ball has to come to her. If this goes on with our bigs out on the perimeter this could still work to Stanford's advantage if your coach makes the right moves, which she often does. In turn Auriemma said he will have to be smart about matching Faris up with Ogwumike, and he no doubt will be. That's why Stanford/UConn should always be a fun game to watch, though both teams are much more physical than either coach wants the referees to believe about their own team.

Reaction Score
My only point, DD. The original statement was hyperbole and nothing more.

Chiney out rebounded Griner by 2. Against TN, Chiney's 19 boards was a record by an opponent at TBA, like ever. That my friend is not hyperbole.

Reaction Score
Standards for proof are two-sided, involving reliability and validity. Stats are reliable because everyone agrees what the numbers mean, but you bring up a fair point that the numbers may not be a valid reflection of reality. "A nose for the ball" is a valid trait in regards to rebounding, but how do you reliably make comparisons between people?

Here's an example of how murky your "provable" becomes. You could constrain rebounding numbers to apply to major conferences only. OK, but Harry from DePaul better. You could observe, correctly, that overall Stanford is a better rebounding team hence Ogwumike has better competition from her own teammates. OK, but Maryland is an even better rebounding team, and I'm telling you that Hawkins girl seems to have quite the "nose for the ball." Put Ogwumike in with the same "competition" Hawkins plays with every game to get rebounds and her numbers won't be as good. Her recent average jumped because of outliers. Hawkins could not possibly get such outlier numbers because teammates like the All-American Thomas are just too good at also getting rebounds.

But what matters here is that you think the match-up of Faris on Ogwumike works to Stanford's advantage. You actually have company in the UConn camp. Auriemma said that while Faris can guard anybody, if she is on Ogwumike the whole time he is worried about what Stanford might do with our bigs out on the perimeter. Faris will likely guard Ogwumike most of the time, but not all the time because of this concern.

That's different than the one reason you provided for liking the match up, Ogwumike being (allegedly) the best rebounder in the country. Even if we concede Ogwumike is the best rebounder in the country, she gets a lot of offensive rebounds. Put a supremely athletic and strong "box out" person against a supremely athletic and strong "nose for the ball" person and the "box out" person wins most those matches. Depending on how hot she is Ogwumike might still score well on Faris (though it's amazing how many All-Americans seem to have poor shooting games with Faris guarding them) but her offensive rebounding will not be as effective if a strong, athletic defensive master is determined to stay with her and stop that.

The trouble is that a person really focused on "boxing out" seldom gets a rebound as well, the ball has to come to her. If this goes on with our bigs out on the perimeter this could still work to Stanford's advantage if your coach makes the right moves, which she often does. In turn Auriemma said he will have to be smart about matching Faris up with Ogwumike, and he no doubt will be. That's why Stanford/UConn should always be a fun game to watch, though both teams are much more physical than either coach wants the referees to believe about their own team.

good analysis. I like Chiney vs. Faris for many reasons, not just boarding. Chiney is longer, taller, quicker and more agile. Chiney is at home and her big sister will be in the stands watching. The last time that happened, Chiney had 21/19 vs. TN.

Reaction Score
good analysis. I like Chiney vs. Faris for many reasons, not just boarding. Chiney is longer, taller, quicker and more agile. Chiney is at home and her big sister will be in the stands watching. The last time that happened, Chiney had 21/19 vs. TN.

It will be interesting to see if Chiney gets 21/19 today...I think she's capable of the 21 if she hits her mid-range shots and doesn't have Kelly on her for the whole game. If she gets 19 rebounds, I suspect Stewart will have a field day from the outside.

PS I love Chiney's game and Stanford, and think this is a very competitive matchup...particularly at Maples!

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Chiney out rebounded Griner by 2. Against TN, Chiney's 19 boards was a record by an opponent at TBA, like ever. That my friend is not hyperbole.
Griner is not a tremendous rebounder. Often she is pursuing a block with her back to the basket when a shot is taken. Thus she only averages 7.9 rebounds per game and barely edges out Destiny Williams at 7.1 in 3 less minutes a game on the Bears.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Cardfan, using this years Tennessee team as a measure for rebounding this year doesn't help your case. Weakest post team they have had in a long time. And Griner is just not a dominating rebounded.

Try again.

Reaction Score
Cardfan, using this years Tennessee team as a measure for rebounding this year doesn't help your case. Weakest post team they have had in a long time. And Griner is just not a dominating rebounded.

Try again.

I don't have to try again daddy dude.

Reaction Score
No offense to anyone's opinion, but any team would love to have Chiney. Geno included. 'She will show up today and play well. Kelly is UCONN's Superwoman but shutting down Chiney is not necessary. Shut down everyone else and Stanford can't beat UCONN. Let Chiney get her 27 points and 15 rebounds.... that won't beat the Huskies. Letting the rest of the team get 50 points might. I'm looking forward to how Geno will handle the Chiney strategy. Go Huskies!!

Replicant

Nexus 6 Leader
Reaction Score
No offense to anyone's opinion, but any team would love to have Chiney. Geno included. 'She will show up today and play well. Kelly is UCONN's Superwoman but shutting down Chiney is not necessary. Shut down everyone else and Stanford can't beat UCONN. Let Chiney get her 27 points and 15 rebounds.... that won't beat the Huskies. Letting the rest of the team get 50 points might. I'm looking forward to how Geno will handle the Chiney strategy. Go Huskies!!
Bingo. All Kelly needs to do today is make Chiney uncomfortable. If she's able to make her miserable...so much the better.

Chiney is a stud and will get hers', Kelly just needs to make her work for them. I'm guessing that Geno will apply Heather's solid frame on Chiney a fair amount to further wear her down. Chiney's first step is too fast for Stef to guard on a consistent basis and we don't want to risk Breanna's offensive output on questionable officiating.

Some other Card/s will need a huge game, but I don't see the names Pedersen or Pohlen on the Stanford roster anymore. ;)

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
I don't have to try again daddy dude.
Ahhh..I can tell when you lost an arguement. You call me dude...lol.

Enjoy the game. Care to wager if Chiney get's more than her average in rebounds?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom