Rhode Island Post Game Thread | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Rhode Island Post Game Thread

Reaction Score
Not long ago we had to put on a walk-on for a last second shot against Houston.

Those days are behind us.
That moment was up there for those "if you could change the outcome of one play" hypotheticals. Would have been an all-time great moment if he hit it.

Reaction Score
Diarra 25 / Mahaney 10 / Nowell 5
Ball 25 / Mahaney 10 / Nowell 5
Liam 25 / Ross 10 / Stew 5
Alex 25 / Stew 15
Samson 20 / Reed 20

25: Diarra/Ball/Liam/Alex
20: Mahaney/Stew/Samson/Reed
10: Nowell/Ross

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Ross plays with a ton of energy, has athleticism, can shoot it. He's so close but I don't think he's put it together yet. He'll play but probably be the 3rd-4th guy off the bench imo. Solo was awesome. Stewart showed some 1 on 1 skill we didn't see last year. Nowell is going to be ready and will be pressing the hell out of our point guards to keep him from taking their minutes. We are deep and the future is bright.

I think we'll get enough offense from the Center position, but defense and rebounding are concerns.

Reaction Score
I won't be shocked if Ross is starting game 1. His defense was noticeably a level above everyone else, and he can shoot.
He'd have to start over 2 of Ball, Mahaney, and McNeeley. I just don't see it, considering how well the first 2 played (and the reports of McNeeley in general).

Reaction Score
Reed looked a little lost in the first half. Tough to know his timeline to put it together but he was better in the second half. You can see the potential.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
The end of the game was quite impressive, garbage time or not. Singare balled. Seemed he knew exactly where he needed to be. Nowell could be an offensive spark. Looked like a deadeye shooter. Ross reminded me of a frosh AJax - has the ability to come out of nowhere to make a play. The touted frosh looked like they deserved to be touted.

I was one who was not sold on Ball last year as I didn't think he was playing firmly within the system until tourney time. Glad to be wrong. He'll work his way up mocks with play like this.

AK and Diarra did their thing.

Not much to dislike here. Bring on the season.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Ross won’t be the first guy off the bench but if he continues to play with that kind of motor it’s going to be hard to keep him on it.
Ross plays with a ton of energy, has athleticism, can shoot it. He's so close but I don't think he's put it together yet. He'll play but probably be the 3rd-4th guy off the bench imo. Solo was awesome. Stewart showed some 1 on 1 skill we didn't see last year. Nowell is going to be ready and will be pressing the hell out of our point guards to keep him from taking their minutes. We are deep and the future is bright.

I think we'll get enough offense from the Center position, but defense and rebounding are concerns.

Ross is the second wing off the bench after Stewart.
Nowell is second guard off the bench.

We saw ten players tonight who can legitimately play.

Diarra, Ball, Mahaney, Nowell
Karaban, McNeeley, Stewart, Ross
Johnson, Reed

Reaction Score
I had a good time at the game. Quiet crowd until second half. Hurley made some halftime adjustments and team turned up defensive intensity in 2nd half.
First half I felt like we played as if we thought Clingan was back there, guards going right by.
Loved seeing Solo get the nod, I was at MSG when he played so well vs.NC.
Mahaney is gonna be popular, stories of his demise were wrong.
How many schools is this for Javante Brown? He looked good in first half and is still a Redshirt Jr.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I won't be shocked if Ross is starting game 1. His defense was noticeably a level above everyone else, and he can shoot.
My biggest complaint for Ross was his handle. He lost the ball the first two times he dribbled the ball although it was in traffic. I think he caught the ball with his foot on the sideline as well. Might have been opening game nerves. He lead UConn with 4 turnovers.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
He'd have to start over 2 of Ball, Mahaney, and McNeeley. I just don't see it, considering how well the first 2 played (and the reports of McNeeley in general).
I could see him taking it from McNeeley. Dan cares about defense, Liam looked bad on that end, Ross looks like the best defender. Both of their main roles on offense is floor spacing.

If you wanna say don't overreact, that's fine, but I believe in the Ross we saw today.

Reaction Score
First game / scrimmage with a lot of positives. Areas that need development are rebounding and inside defense … or put differently we are going to miss Donavan!

Reaction Score
I could see him taking it from McNeeley. Dan cares about defense, Liam looked bad on that end, Ross looks like the best defender. Both of their main roles on offense is floor spacing.

If you wanna say don't overreact, that's fine, but I believe in the Ross we saw today.
Ross did also lead the team in turnovers.

Reaction Score
No change; still not the defensive force you would like to see in the paint.
I think he did have a few blocks. My issue with him has always been upstairs, awareness and on floor IQ. Something just doesn’t click with the instincts.

I for one hope Tarris really starts figuring it out. He felt a little slow today at times but got comfortable late.

Great game to build off and see how the evolution transpires. Really pleasantly surprised with Aidan’s game.

Reaction Score
Diarra looked fine tonight, but it's hard to ignore Mahaney scoring 17 while running te point effectively.
Ball has to be the primary shooting guard--he is electric. I think all three share roughly equal minutes.
As for the 5 position, Reibe can't get here fast enough. Meanwhile, let's coach Reed up.

Reaction Score
Diarra looked fine tonight, but it's hard to ignore Mahaney scoring 17 while running te point effectively.
Ball has to be the primary shooting guard--he is electric. I think all three share roughly equal minutes.
As for the 5 position, Reibe can't get here fast enough. Meanwhile, let's coach Reed up.
Hard to ignore Diarra's 9 assists either.

I agree that I think Mahaney will split time at the 1 and 2 and so they will all end up with like 28 minutes.

Reaction Score
Second half Tarris Reed takes Samsons starting spot by big East play. Leads team in rebounds and alleviates what was a bit of a concern in the first half. Mahaney could maybe be preseason 6moy because of his performance today. Solo . Alex is Alex, Hass is Hass, offensive breakout of Solo takes a lot of pressure off him offensively and keeps him in a more ideal role. Hyped to see Liam’s development over time, defense will come. Ceiling much higher with Hoss at 25 mpg to Samson 15.

Reaction Score
Ross is the second wing off the bench after Stewart.
Nowell is second guard off the bench.

We saw ten players tonight who can legitimately play.

Diarra, Ball, Mahaney, Nowell
Karaban, McNeeley, Stewart, Ross
Johnson, Reed
Yeah I think all those 10 players will see time this year just depending on matchups and how well the starters are playing. Having a legit 10 men rotation is a nice luxury to have this year.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

McNeeley will get better on defense. And he has playmaking ability on offense besides his shooting. I agree that Ross will find his way into the rotation though

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNS

Top Bottom