Report: Syracuse, Pitt talk to ACC | The Boneyard

Report: Syracuse, Pitt talk to ACC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
If it is really all about the $$ than it would not be a wise move if UConn and RU were not included. Than you would have the entire Eastern seaboard from Miami to Boston locked up.
More fun posturing.

Reaction Score
If it is really all about the $$ than it would not be a wise move if UConn and RU were not included. Than you would have the entire Eastern seaboard from Miami to Boston locked up.
More fun posturing.
What the moves show is that it's all about brand, not geography, or cable tv households, the academic consortium, or having contiguous members - all the crap Delany talked about a year and half ago, when this all started with the Big 10. What did they do? Take Nebraska - the best football brand, that didn't meet ANY of the stated criteria. That's what it's all about, brand name schools.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
More fun posturing.

Give me one thing UConn or Rutgers adds that they don't already have. You can't.

Reaction Score
Herbst asleep at the wheel. UConn, Cincy, USF will be begging for a CUSA invite. At least we'll have UMass to play when they jump from the mac. Unreal.

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
Hearing that UConn may be involved too. Word is that FSU is going to the SEC as team #14, and the ACC is in discussions with Syracuse, Pittsburgh, and UConn to get to 14 themselves.

It still doesn't make sense to me. The Big East is actually in a better situation than the ACC if the Big East schools stick together. Why break now? Hopefully this is just a way for UConn/Syracuse/Pitt to get their point across to the Big East and a way to put pressure on the rest of the conference to make the big moves they need to make to take advantage of the strength we have now.

zls44

Reaction Score
Hearing that UConn may be involved too. Word is that FSU is going to the SEC as team #14, and the ACC is in discussions with Syracuse, Pittsburgh, and UConn to get to 14 themselves.

It still doesn't make sense to me. The Big East is actually in a better situation than the ACC if the Big East schools stick together. Why break now? Hopefully this is just a way for UConn/Syracuse/Pitt to get their point across to the Big East and a way to put pressure on the rest of the conference to make the big moves they need to make to take advantage of the strength we have now.

Source, please.

As in "please, for the love of G-d, have one".

Reaction Score
Both WFAN and 1050 ESPN radio NYC are also reporting both Pitt & Syracuse negotiating with ACC. They said nothing about UConn. If this is true Big East football is dead and we are ROYALLY screwed! Nice way to top off a frustrating night!

Reaction Score
The worst case scenario for UConn is quickly developing.
You said that right Excalibur!!!! You can try to close your eyes and click your heels together 2x...imagine Pitt and Cuse were told by the Big 10 that UConn and Rutgers were their choices for expansion...then reality sinks in and you realize that is about imaginable as us having a first team all-american/first team all-conference qb.

zls44

Reaction Score
You said that right Excalibur!!!! You can try to close your eyes and click your heels together 2x...imagine Pitt and Cuse were told by the Big 10 that UConn and Rutgers were their choices for expansion...then reality sinks in and you realize that is about imaginable as us having a first team all-american/first team all-conference qb.

Ok...but can you do anything about it?

Reaction Score
Both WFAN and 1050 ESPN radio NYC are also reporting both Pitt & Syracuse negotiating with ACC. They said nothing about UConn. If this is true Big East football is dead and we are ROYALLY screwed! Nice way to top off a frustrating night!

My fear that ESPN would try to destroy the BE before we finalize our next TV contract is coming to reality. ESPN knows they will most likely lose the BE to NBC/COMCAST. How do they prevent this? Destroying the BE by using the SEC and ACC. ESPN is now in bed with the ACC and the SEC. By inviting Pitt and CUSE, BE is much weaken and they don't be a threat to ESPN's current properties.

Nice move ESPN. Can CT's Attorney General look into this? What a freaking day after another horrible loss on national TV.

Reaction Score
shuda took the offer. I guess Marinatto was right after all.

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
Nice move ESPN. Can CT's Attorney General look into this? What a freaking day after another horrible loss on national TV.

Unfortunately, what is CT going to do...sue ESPN? Not likely. ESPN would just threaten to move all of thier facilities (and thousands of employees and millions in tax revenue) out of the state.

Reaction Score
whoopadedoo we're fudged. glad we'll still have our hoo ha dinky little football team while all of the other programs go to the shiitter. should've added UCF and ECU!!!!

Reaction Score
shuda took the offer. I guess Marinatto was right after all.

Not sure it would have made that much of a difference. I thought BE should have just invited UCF when they were flirting with NOVA. NOVA would have been a huge mistake. Losing CUSE would be a huge blow to the BE. I just hope UCONN is part of that conversation so we can land somewhere. It looks to be every bit very man for himself at this stage.

Reaction Score
UCF would have been 100% irrelevant to anything going on now and would have done absolutely nothing to solidify the conference. In fairness, neither would Nova. The BE shouldn't waste time on either playing football.

If this move goes through, we can forget about Big East survival, WVU will split, and we'll have to pray for a B1G invite or an ACC invite. Sad, but true.

Reaction Score
Think these ADs and Presidents dont have a clue. Don't see how slicing revenue among 14/16 teams is better than 12 teams. At 12 you already have a championship game and enough inventory. Perhaps ACC is losing some teams.

Reaction Score
Think these ADs and Presidents dont have a clue. Don't see how slicing revenue among 14/16 teams is better than 12 teams. At 12 you already have a championship game and enough inventory. Perhaps ACC is losing some teams.

It is possible ACC might be losing FSU. Once SEC take A&M, the most logical choice would be FSU even though everyone is saying it is Missouri or WVU. Like the B1G expansion, Nebraska was the choice no one talked about. The questions is would SEC move to 16? If so, they would most likely take VTECH and Missouri. In that case, I can see ACC trying to talk to CUSE and PITT to fill it back up to 12.

In that scenerio above, why would Pitt and CUSE go to a weaken ACC? That would not be a smart move. I guess talking can't hurt. Another possibility is Texas and ND would put all sports but football into the ACC. ACC would become a 14/16 hybrid. That makes no sense for the ACC either unless there is huge money involved beyond their poor TV deal.

No one really knows what will happen next. I guess the next domino is OU declaring they are headed for the PAC-12 along with OSU. That would pretty much kill the B12.

If this all goes down, I can see UCONN in a bad position. Our only option would be to merge with B12 leftovers. The only eastern schools left would be WVU, RU and UCONN. That would not be good for UCONN at all.

I really hope our temporary AD along with our president is out discussing with other conferences. We just need to find a stable landing spot.

Reaction Score

I believe ESPN is behind this. ESPN probably knows that BE is not going to sign with the next TV deal with them. The only way to prevent that is to destroy the BE. They got their buddies ACC and SEC planning the raid right now. BE with Marinatto at helm does not stand a chance. That guy is probably somewhere in Providence looking for his next sandwich.

Reaction Score
For all of you who are concerned about UConn's eventual placement in the super conferences, I would not be worried at all. UConn Athletics as a whole, is a top 10 program. Despite all of this hoopla, eventually UConn will find itself in a conference worth discussing. The teams to be worried the most in the BE are USF and Cincinnati. Probably followed by TCU and Rutgers. UConn, Louisville, WVU, Pitt, and Syracuse will find its way to a major conference given their strength in their overall athletics programs.

Reaction Score
Not to state the obvious, but UConn isn't a top 50 program, much less a top 10 program. Ask KU how their basketball history is helping them in conference realignment.

UConn as I've repeatedly have written must sell itself to the ACC, otherwise you'll look forward to playing Cincy, K State, CUSA teams, and whatever scraps are left over.

UConn along with Pitt is the strongest academic school of the FB playing BE and the Big 12 remnants. The ACC with Pitt and SU will have 10 of the top 70 schools in the US News top 65. Some frankenstein amalgamation of the big 12 scraps and BE will have 10 of 12 schools ranked above 100.

As an institution does UConn have more in common with Louisville, Cincy, USF, WVU, KState, Iowa State, KU- essentially open enrollment schools- or MD, UNC, Ga Tech, Pitt, SU, UVa, BC?

Never mind geographic fit.

Reaction Score
Not to state the obvious, but UConn isn't a top 50 program, much less a top 10 program. Ask KU how their basketball history is helping them in conference realignment.

UConn as I've repeatedly have written must sell itself to the ACC, otherwise you'll look forward to playing Cincy, K State, CUSA teams, and whatever scraps are left over.

UConn along with Pitt is the strongest academic school of the FB playing BE and the Big 12 remnants. The ACC with Pitt and SU will have 10 of the top 70 schools in the US News top 65. Some frankenstein amalgamation of the big 12 scraps and BE will have 10 of 12 schools ranked above 100.

As an institution does UConn have more in common with Louisville, Cincy, USF, WVU, KState, Iowa State, KU- essentially open enrollment schools- or MD, UNC, Ga Tech, Pitt, SU, UVa, BC?

Never mind geographic fit.

How can you not be a top 10 program with top programs in men's and women's basketball and constantly ranked men's and women's soccer, field hockey, women's hockey and baseball teams. A school that has the top attendance in soccer in the nation. One of the few schools in the nation that CHARGES students for women's basketball games. And to put it simply, UConn had the football team fastest to make an AP poll since joining FBS in addition to being the fast team ever to make a BCS bowl.

UConn athletics IS a top 10 program.

Reaction Score
How can you not be a top 10 program with top programs in men's and women's basketball and constantly ranked men's and women's soccer, field hockey, women's hockey and baseball teams. A school that has the top attendance in soccer in the nation. One of the few schools in the nation that CHARGES students for women's basketball games. And to put it simply, UConn had the football team fastest to make an AP poll since joining FBS in addition to being the fast team ever to make a BCS bowl.

UConn athletics IS a top 10 program.

Because this is all about Football brand and/or TV markets. I think we'll be ok, but not because we have good attendance at soccer games or highly ranked field hockey, or b/c were ranked higher in academics than someone else. Football and/or TV Markets is all that is being considered regardless of what some chancellor or school prez says.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom