Report: Syracuse, Pitt talk to ACC | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Report: Syracuse, Pitt talk to ACC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Really, if the ACC was looking to improve their conference, they would kick out BCU. They've done nothing but embarrass them. In the end, if this happens, I wouldn't put it past them to kick BCU to the curb.

Reaction Score
Because this is all about Football brand and/or TV markets. I think we'll be ok, but not because we have good attendance at soccer games or highly ranked field hockey, or b/c were ranked higher in academics than someone else. Football and/or TV Markets is all that is being considered regardless of what some chancellor or school prez says.

UConn athletics is a brand that sells nationwide. UConn wouldn't get so much hate if it weren't a program on the prominence of the national stage...let's be honest.

Reaction Score
How can you not be a top 10 program with top programs in men's and women's basketball and constantly ranked men's and women's soccer, field hockey, women's hockey and baseball teams. A school that has the top attendance in soccer in the nation. One of the few schools in the nation that CHARGES students for women's basketball games. And to put it simply, UConn had the football team fastest to make an AP poll since joining FBS in addition to being the fast team ever to make a BCS bowl.

UConn athletics IS a top 10 program.

http://www.nacda.com/directorscup/nacda-directorscup-previous-scoring.html

Reaction Score
UConn athletics is a brand that sells nationwide. UConn wouldn't get so much hate if it weren't a program on the prominence of the national stage...let's be honest.
where did I say it wasn't? I said I think we'll be okay, but not due to our overall athletic dept ranking or academics. We're in a good market.

Reaction Score
You made your point. But when you consider UConn doesn't have half the programs listed in their rankings...
not trying to make a point, just showing how they score it, that's all.

Reaction Score
According to that list, only Louisville and West Virginia were above UConn in athletics.

As far as the people who make the point that football is driving this decision - I'd say, yes, but it's not playing that big of a role. For instance, I don't see Duke losing it's spot in the ACC despite being a disgrace of a football team.

ESPN knows the Big East won't sign their next contract with them. And while that doesn't matter a lot for football, you must realize that losing Big East basketball would create a huge void in ESPN's winter programming. By recovering Pitt and Cuse if they go to the ACC, they hope to keep some of that "Big East" basketball market (even though you can't get much less clutch than Pitt basketball :D) and leave the rest of the Big East with WVU, Louisville, and UConn as the main three programs. Looks much less impressive in the end.

So while all of you are talking about how football is making this decision, I'd argue basketball has an equal or greater role. The money comes from football for the schools, but come winter time, there is no bigger money maker than Big East basketball - and that's a hit ESPN can't afford to take.

Reaction Score
There's no way UConn is going to get left out of a major conference. I am sure the powers-that-be see we have developed a fanbase even in football.

Reaction Score
NHU, it's not about a team already in a stable conference getting booted b/c football is bad, that isn't going to happen. That's not what people mean when they say Football is driving the bus. If it was, Duke, Wake, Indiana, Purdue, WSU would all get kicked out. Football is the driver on teams being brought into conferences. Nebraska to the B10 all about football brand. Utah and Colorado the the P10 more about getting into newer markets.

F

fortebleedsblue

Looks like Edsall left a #44 athletic program for a #18 .. not a bad upgrade.

I think UConn was dumb to sue the ACC ... why would that conference want to take on UConn after that? We keep saying basketball but the ACC already has plenty of good programs, they don't NEED Uconn ... but (should pitt and cuse bolt) UConn will NEED the ACC.

Its equally dumb for UConn to sue the Fiesta Bowl. Sometimes you just need to suck it up.

Reaction Score
NHU, it's not about a team already in a stable conference getting booted b/c football is bad, that isn't going to happen. That's not what people mean when they say Football is driving the bus. If it was, Duke, Wake, Indiana, Purdue, WSU would all get kicked out. Football is the driver on teams being brought into conferences. Nebraska to the B10 all about football brand. Utah and Colorado the the P10 more about getting into newer markets.

Believe it or not, Northwestern had to seek assurances from fellow conference members before it would vote for Nebraska.

Reaction Score
UConn athletic department is by far the stongest in the northeast when it comes to sports that matter with respect to the general public's generic perception: Football, basketball, baseball, soccer...basically the same as pro sports sans hockey. Championships, final fours, college world series, top rankings, the whole nine yards...except UConn's football program is in its infancy. This comes at a bad time, stating the obvious.

The ACC is concerned about academics and athletics. If you don't believe me google "holden thorpe". The ACC is trying to cement its status as an ivy league for FBS football. SU and Pitt fit that mold. As does UConn. Evidently SU and Pitt find that appeal attractive institutionally. That's why WVU and Luck are begging for an SEC invite.

I heard Lew Perkins was at the Iowa State game. If Herbst thinks are fortunes should be aligned with some polyglut leftover conference, UConn will find itself playing "rivals" k state, cincy, usf, ucf..

How can you not be a top 10 program with top programs in men's and women's basketball and constantly ranked men's and women's soccer, field hockey, women's hockey and baseball teams. A school that has the top attendance in soccer in the nation. One of the few schools in the nation that CHARGES students for women's basketball games. And to put it simply, UConn had the football team fastest to make an AP poll since joining FBS in addition to being the fast team ever to make a BCS bowl.

UConn athletics IS a top 10 program.

UconnWitt

Because Fartman69 was taken.
Reaction Score
Think these ADs and Presidents dont have a clue. Don't see how slicing revenue among 14/16 teams is better than 12 teams. At 12 you already have a championship game and enough inventory. Perhaps ACC is losing some teams.
Stability. Everyone all together now...stability. The current situation the Big East is in is, in the words of Barry Obama, a "teachable moment." The lesson? Micro-management doesn't work! Best case scenario (for Uconn)- Free Shoes University/and or V Tech go to the SEC, the ACC is at 11 and decides to go to 16. WVU to the SEC, Uconn, Syracuse, Pitt, Rutgers, and Louisville to the ACC.

Reaction Score
UConn athletic department is by far the stongest in the northeast when it comes to sports that matter with respect to the general public's generic perception: Football, basketball, baseball, soccer...basically the same as pro sports sans hockey. Championships, final fours, college world series, top rankings, the whole nine yards...except UConn's football program is in its infancy. This comes at a bad time, stating the obvious.

The ACC is concerned about academics and athletics. If you don't believe me google "holden thorpe". The ACC is trying to cement its status as an ivy league for FBS football. SU and Pitt fit that mold. As does UConn. Evidently SU and Pitt find that appeal attractive institutionally. That's why WVU and Luck are begging for an SEC invite.

I heard Lew Perkins was at the Iowa State game. If Herbst thinks are fortunes should be aligned with some polyglut leftover conference, UConn will find itself playing "rivals" k state, cincy, usf, ucf..

You are vastly overstating the ACC's interest in academics. Sports doesn't help you become an Ivy league. It just doesn't. Not when you ally yourself with Miami, FSU and Clemson, in case you haven't noticed. In fact, the ACC's sports contribute to the perception that those schools are academic shams. From BC gambling to Maryland payouts to UNC plagiarism to freebies at FSU to Miami doing everything all at the same time, that's the ACC legacy.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
This is really not good. If the Big 12 stays together with A&M out any chance they take UConn?

Absolutely. They'll be scrambling for anyone with street cred.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
I've heard from two people on twitter (nothing remotely credible), that UConn has already been in discussions with the ACC, prior to this Pitt Syracuse news. Let's hope they're right, and that UConn is also aligning with Pitt, Cuse and the ACC.
You can thank Rowland and Blumenthal for leading the charge on the lawsuit if there is no interest. Unless the Big 10 is looking to add the NE markets, we could be screwed.

Reaction Score
Look, the ACC is not going to stay at 14. They are either going to stay at 12 by losing 2 and adding 2 or otherwise they are going to 16. The only question is, when the teams voted to up the exit fee, was that a real show of unity?

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
According to that list, only Louisville and West Virginia were above UConn in athletics.

As far as the people who make the point that football is driving this decision - I'd say, yes, but it's not playing that big of a role. For instance, I don't see Duke losing it's spot in the ACC despite being a disgrace of a football team.

ESPN knows the Big East won't sign their next contract with them. And while that doesn't matter a lot for football, you must realize that losing Big East basketball would create a huge void in ESPN's winter programming. By recovering Pitt and Cuse if they go to the ACC, they hope to keep some of that "Big East" basketball market (even though you can't get much less clutch than Pitt basketball :D) and leave the rest of the Big East with WVU, Louisville, and UConn as the main three programs. Looks much less impressive in the end.

So while all of you are talking about how football is making this decision, I'd argue basketball has an equal or greater role. The money comes from football for the schools, but come winter time, there is no bigger money maker than Big East basketball - and that's a hit ESPN can't afford to take.
Good analysis. ESPN has their fingerprints all over this.

Reaction Score
Absolutely. They'll be scrambling for anyone with street cred.

currently the b12 is hoping the OU and UT talk is just OUs way of trying to force more money out of texas. with 9 teams we had already started talking to BYU (since they would be allowed their own TV network like UT), Louisville and Pitt I believe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom