Report....Narduzzi turns down offer | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Report....Narduzzi turns down offer

Status
Not open for further replies.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
UConnJim said:
Brian Kelly had no BCS experience before going to Cincinnati. Neither did Woody Hayes before he went to Ohio St.

Neither did countless dozens of guys who failed, either. Cuts both ways.

Reaction Score
Not true. Assistant coach salaries are a significant budget item -- at most BCS schools the sum of all assistant coach salaries is equal to the head coach salary, so we're talking $3 million per year at many schools. At UConn there might be a $2 million budget for assistants; but maybe to make more room in the head coach salary they cut it. Regardless, the budget for assistants is probably well below the average BCS school, and this limits Narduzzi's ability to put together his staff.

If Narduzzi knows who he would bring in as assistants, he also knows how much they cost, and what budget he needs. If he couldn't get that budget, couldn't get his staff, he might reasonably turn the job down, even if his own salary was attractive. It's not just about money, but about being able to succeed. If you don't trust your staff, you don't trust your odds of success.

I'm a little upset to read a post that isn't just shouting nonsense into the echo chamber. This isn't representative of the BY that I know and love! You are relying on reasonable premises to support a theory that actually makes sense. While it clearly shows that one person here is logical, I personally disapprove of this sensible form of communication. Back to shouting!

HIRE LEMBO NOW AND DIG UP BEAR BRYANT TO BE DEFENSIVE COORDINATOR.

Reaction Score
I thought we were willing to pay 'whatever it takes' to get a big name coach. As I recall the assistant coaches salaries were a problem last time when we were talking to Whipple.

C

Chief00

I think Lembo would be a mistake. My gut tells me TJ is better. He totaly changed the trajecture of a nose drive season and that's hrad to do. He changed the body language on the sideline and the play on the field.

Reaction Score
Chief00 said:
I think Lembo would be a mistake. My gut tells me TJ is better. He totaly changed the trajecture of a nose drive season and that's hrad to do. He changed the body language on the sideline and the play on the field.

TJ haters in 5, 4, 3, 2, 1....

Reaction Score
Not true. Assistant coach salaries are a significant budget item -- at most BCS schools the sum of all assistant coach salaries is equal to the head coach salary, so we're talking $3 million per year at many schools. At UConn there might be a $2 million budget for assistants; but maybe to make more room in the head coach salary they cut it. Regardless, the budget for assistants is probably well below the average BCS school, and this limits Narduzzi's ability to put together his staff.

If Narduzzi knows who he would bring in as assistants, he also knows how much they cost, and what budget he needs. If he couldn't get that budget, couldn't get his staff, he might reasonably turn the job down, even if his own salary was attractive. It's not just about money, but about being able to succeed. If you don't trust your staff, you don't trust your odds of success.
Yes that makes sense. I believe he knows who is assistance will be and what. They will command. Would love to know the nimbers though to see who was being unreasonable. For examole if he is going to make a position coach coordinator they cant command the same money as an established coordinator.

Reaction Score
Joe Rexrode‏@joerexrode3h
That's the question for a program like UConn -- can you invest not just in the head coach, but in a top-notch staff?

@joerexrode
Michigan State football and men's basketball beat writer for the Detroit Free Press, Wednesday co-host of The Drive with Jack, 3-6 p.m. on The Game 730-AM.
Okemos, Mich. · freep.com

RedSoloCup

2 golf tournaments...
Reaction Score
Joe Rexrode‏@joerexrode3h
That's the question for a program like UConn -- can you invest not just in the head coach, but in a top-notch staff?

@joerexrode
Michigan State football and men's basketball beat writer for the Detroit Free Press, Wednesday co-host of The Drive with Jack, 3-6 p.m. on The Game 730-AM.
Okemos, Mich. · freep.com

This is why I am furious with whomever leaked this info. We look small time.

We need to change the perception. And find the mole.

Reaction Score
This is why I am furious with whomever leaked this info. We look small time.

We need to change the perception. And find the mole.

We don't know if it was leaked by UConn. We don't know if any of it is true.

Reaction Score
Turning down a job due to low pay for assistants is a very credible reason. Hard to keep good talent on your staff when someone else can steal them by offering more cash (see Brown, Don). I wouldn't leave a great Coordinator gig to take a HC job when I know keeping a good staff will be difficult. He can wait for a program that is willing to put their money where his staff is.

Reaction Score
I'm inclined to believe Narduzzi's agent is the leaker. It sounds like he got very, very poor advice in the "something better is coming along" mode.

If this came from the UConn side Warde needs to fire people, and that includes Parker if one of those jabonis ran their mouth. Warde should be able to count on one hand the amount of people on his side who knew Narduzzi turned UConn down.

Reaction Score
Jeff Jacobs‏@jacobscourant2h
Spartan Nation confirmed Narduzzi's decision to turn UConn's offer, citing sources inside the UConn athletic department. Wow.

Ed Daigneault‏@EdDaigneault1h
@jacobscourant more than a little suspicious of this.

justin m mooney‏@YaboyJmooney4h
@EdDaigneault do you think its possible narduzzis people leaked it to gain more leverage?

Ed Daigneault‏@EdDaigneault4h
@YaboyJmooney it's possible. Highly doubt it came from UConn.

Leak looks bad, but, man, any UConn writer would love to have it.

If that news is true - if - the leak looks really, really bad.

Drew Granucci‏@drewsephg5h
@EdDaigneault Do you think we weren't willing to pay???

@drewsephg don't know. Might be more of can't pay. Exit fees dry up after a bit. There is a future to consider in terms of finances.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I'm inclined to believe Narduzzi's agent is the leaker. It sounds like he got very, very poor advice in the "something better is coming along" mode.

If this came from the UConn side Warde needs to fire people, and that includes Parker if one of those jabonis ran their mouth. Warde should be able to count on one hand the amount of people on his side who knew Narduzzi turned UConn down.
While that's true, he can't know how many of those people who knew told someone else.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I'm guessing Spartan nation is their version of the Boneyard.

I really believe that someone there has a legitimate UConn insider on speed dial.

Reaction Score
Spartan Nation confirmed Narduzzi's decision to turn UConn's offer, citing sources inside the UConn athletic department. Wow.

Desmond Conner‏@desmondconner1h
@jacobscourant I don't know about that one in fact, I doubt it very much

Kevin Duffy‏@KevinRDuffy1h
@desmondconner @jacobscourant It makes absolutely no sense. They have no contacts there. They have to be lying about their source of info.

Rabid Husky‏@RabidHusky1h
@KevinRDuffy @desmondconner @jacobscourant If you guys can't get inside info how is someone from Michigan?

Jeff Jacobs‏@jacobscourant1h
@RabidHusky @KevinRDuffy @desmondconner It puzzles me greatly.

@KevinRDuffy @jacobscourant sounds like protecting where they really got it from. Shoot we cover #UConn and can't get that much detail #Bull

Jeff Jacobs‏@jacobscourant3h
W Manuel hasn't blown the UConn coaching search_not yet anyhow. What he did was lose control of narrative. Went silent. Agents took control.

Allowed Narduzzi to be geeked up to be the next Vince Lombardi. Truth is Clawson, Narduzzi, Lembo, Herman all good candidates.

Reaction Score
I get that most of the CFB reporters have been "busy" in NYC @ IMG Forum - but nary a word from Jeremy Fowler regarding this? If I missed it - my bad. But he's been all over the UConn hire.

RedSoloCup

2 golf tournaments...
Reaction Score
I go back to the disgruntled staffer when PP was fired… reading the quotes in the UConn Blog post, there were some undercurrents there, people not liking the change. I would not be surprised if this person quoted was the leaker or knows who that person is.

http://www.theuconnblog.com/2013/9/30/4786408/breaking-paul-pasqualoni-fired

"I think players are always happy when the blame is placed elsewhere. Ultimately, they did not get the job done. If they want to be happy that a good man took the fall for their failures, that's awesome for them. The people that Paul trusted let him down, both coaches and players alike. He takes blame and rightfully so, because ultimately he did put his trust in the wrong people. Paul couldn't play, unfortunately neither could (named offensive player).

"George is a character, and he doesn't really care what anyone thinks. We were terrible up front, but the perception out there that Mike Foley would have done a better job with that group is naive and shows that you probably haven't spent any time with Mike Foley. He's a good guy but he can barely...let alone make below average lineman better, and below average is a compliment for those guys. Edsall missed on lineman late in his tenure, and Foley was lucky enough to not have to deal with the mess George inherited. That's not to say George was perfect, as he struggled mightily to adjust in-game as a play caller and failed to simplify the line play when it was clear we needed to. But rest assured, we did not struggle because Mike Foley was not coaching the O-line."

Reaction Score
This makes no sense. I am sure that they talked numbers but no deal could have been made, as Ward could not have talked to all of the candidates yet. The timing of this does not work. He could not have turned down something not offered.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score

How quickly we forget FHCRE's struggle to increase the salaries of his assistant coaches.

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
I feel like 'assistant coaches salaries' is a go to excuse for coaches when they want to make a change and need a 'good explanation' other than the truth. It is a convenient explanation and it makes them look good with their assistants and other coaches. It just doesn't hold water.

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
How quickly we forget FHCRE's struggle to increase the salaries of his assistant coaches.

You really think FHCRE cared about his assistants? He was having a power struggle with Hathaway and the assistant coaches salaries was just an excuse--in addition to making him look good and Hathaway/UConn look bad. FHCRE cared so much about his assistant that he left Uconn without telling his assistant coaches first and only brought one guy with him....you think that he really cared that much about his assistants at UConn?!

Reaction Score
I'm losing my mind. This is honestly exhausting. I became so high in Narduzzi just to be effed over by our AD yet again. I'm on the verge of another angry tirade directed at the AD's office. God dammit why can't we have nice things?

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score

@jacobscourant I don't know about that one in fact, I doubt it very much

Kevin Duffy‏@KevinRDuffy1h
@desmondconner @jacobscourant It makes absolutely no sense. They have no contacts there. They have to be lying about their source of info.

Rabid Husky‏@RabidHusky1h
@KevinRDuffy @desmondconner @jacobscourant If you guys can't get inside info how is someone from Michigan?

Jeff Jacobs‏@jacobscourant1h
@RabidHusky @KevinRDuffy @desmondconner It puzzles me greatly.

@KevinRDuffy @jacobscourant sounds like protecting where they really got it from. Shoot we cover #UConn and can't get that much detail #Bull

W Manuel hasn't blown the UConn coaching search_not yet anyhow. What he did was lose control of narrative. Went silent. Agents took control.

Allowed Narduzzi to be geeked up to be the next Vince Lombardi. Truth is Clawson, Narduzzi, Lembo, Herman all good candidates.
What's good? #obligatory

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits