Report: ESPN Asks Top Talent to Take Substantial Pay Cut | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Report: ESPN Asks Top Talent to Take Substantial Pay Cut

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
They and the executives can take it as a dry run of higher marginal tax rates, if/where applicable.

Never even heard of Herbsteit, though out of respect, I did scroll up to do a spell check and removed the second "r" I had in originally.

I suppose I could care less, but I'll stop here.

Reaction Score
Hard part about the salary cuts - not for the talent, but for the exec team - is that the bonus pools will likely be 0% this year. Meaning that if you had a contract that was $X in salary with a 50% bonus opportunity - you already gave up 1/3rd of your total comp just by showing up (assuming you typically get paid out). Taking another 20/25/30% on top of that is rough. The EVP level folks are probably at 100% bonus pool. Meaning they are taking a 65% cut if they take a 30% salary cut.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Are they going to have a dividend this quarter? They can cut that first.

Reaction Score
They and the executives can take it as a dry run of higher marginal tax rates, if/where applicable.

Never even heard of Herbsteit, though out of respect, I did scroll up to do a spell check and removed the second "r" I had in originally.

I suppose I could care less, but I'll stop here.
*Herbstreit

Reaction Score
Hard part about the salary cuts - not for the talent, but for the exec team - is that the bonus pools will likely be 0% this year. Meaning that if you had a contract that was $X in salary with a 50% bonus opportunity - you already gave up 1/3rd of your total comp just by showing up (assuming you typically get paid out). Taking another 20/25/30% on top of that is rough. The EVP level folks are probably at 100% bonus pool. Meaning they are taking a 65% cut if they take a 30% salary cut.
Somehow I think they'll still get by. I doubt they'll have to resort to ramen

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
*Herbstreit
That's what I'd first written, so looks like I 'corrected' to align w/someone else and ended up in a 'no good deed goes unpunished' thing. Might as well have called him Herb Street, but then I'd have to have heard of him. He's probably worth every penny.

StllH8L8ner

You’ll get nothing and like it!
Reaction Score
@Stlh8L8ner just read your name phonetically... Well done.

(Me too.)
Ha, the 30 for 30 was on as I was creating my profile...I respect him as a college player...but I still hate him for crushing our hopes and dreams of a Final 4 in 1990.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Ha, the 30 for 30 was on as I was creating my profile...I respect him as a college player...but I still hate him for crushing our hopes and dreams of a Final 4 in 1990.
Meh he was a jackass even his own teammates didn’t like him.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Are they going to have a dividend this quarter? They can cut that first.

continuing buybacks is way more egregious than keeping the dividend.

Reaction Score
Somehow I think they'll still get by. I doubt they'll have to resort to ramen

That isn't my point. I'm saying - if you made $300K with a $300K bonus opportunity - and you knew bonuses would be $0, that's already a 50% decrease in your comp package. That really hits you hard. You probably wouldn't be so keen in giving up any of your base pay. Even if you refused to take a salary reduction, it isn't like you aren't contributing.

Reaction Score

this is correct

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom