Report: ESPN Asks Top Talent to Take Substantial Pay Cut | The Boneyard

Report: ESPN Asks Top Talent to Take Substantial Pay Cut

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
ESPN asks top 100 on air personnel to take a 15% pay cut

They apparently are feeling the heat from the lack of live sports, although one wonders why? I get that they have nothing to broadcast, but why would that impact their bottom line? Are advertisers asking for money back? Are cable companies redoing their deals?

Reaction Score
ESPN asks top 100 on air personnel to take a 15% pay cut

They apparently are feeling the heat from the lack of live sports, although one wonders why? I get that they have nothing to broadcast, but why would that impact their bottom line? Are advertisers asking for money back? Are cable companies redoing their deals?
Bud light surely wont be paying the same price for a commercial during a 24 hour Sportscenter marathon that nobody watches compared to NBA playoff games. No eyeballs = no $$$$

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Bud light surely wont be paying the same price for a commercial during a 24 hour Sportscenter marathon that nobody watches compared to NBA playoff games. No eyeballs = no $$$$
Good point. March Madness and the NBA playoffs almost certainly would command a premium for ads and they didn't happen.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Well, it's not like FOX or anyone else is going to sign most of them to bigger contracts and then put them in the icebox.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
If I have a contract I'm telling them to pound sand.

Reaction Score
For the really top talent, like Herbsteit, you could probably say no. For most of the talent, if they don't take a pay cut, which is their right, there might not be a next contract.

During the financial crisis in 2008/2009, financial employers had "voluntary" pay cuts as many employees had contracts, but it was tough to say no given the situation and the outlook for other employment.

Reaction Score
By the original title I was thinking the best players at LSU, Arizona, Kansas, Kentucky and a few others were going to be asked to get some money back from their parents. Good thing it was actually the ESPN employees.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
For the really top talent, like Herbsteit, you could probably say no. For most of the talent, if they don't take a pay cut, which is their right, there might not be a next contract.

During the financial crisis in 2008/2009, financial employers had "voluntary" pay cuts as many employees had contracts, but it was tough to say no given the situation and the outlook for other employment.

It's a bit of a self-confidence and gamble on your individual market value. Those who feel they are paid near the top of their market value or maybe a bit much are more likely to take the chop in pay. Those who think they can pull their salary from competitors may dig in the sand a bit.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
For most of the talent, if they don't take a pay cut, which is their right, there might not be a next contract.
But that's the case even if they do give money back. I remember when Dan Dierdorf was a hot commodity. But let's be serious, any industry where Kirk Herbstreit is a "top talent" is one where you take your money when you can get it.

Reaction Score
espn is owned by Disney, last i check all of the parks are closed, which has got to be a huge revenue hit. they just furloughed 43,000 employees

Reaction Score
You could tell them to pound sand. However their revenues have shrunk to nothing so ESPN could lay them off and let them collect unemployment which would probably be much less then they earn.
They need top talent first.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
You could tell them to pound sand. However their revenues have shrunk to nothing so ESPN could lay them off and let them collect unemployment which would probably be much less then they earn.
No, they can't.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
15%? I was expecting more.

Reaction Score
If the on-air talent has contracts, and there's no clause that gives them an out for pandemics (highly unlikely) then ESPN has to honor the contract and pay them. Unless they agree to renegotiate.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
I cancelled my $5/month ESPN+ subscription and am asking for a refund for the month of March. I want my $5 you swine!

Reaction Score
The Disney family as a whole is hurting BIG TIME with this. I’m not surprised at all and would not be surprised to see some further cost-cutting measures.

Reaction Score
15%? I was expecting more.
Why? They don't have to agree to it. Seems inline to what they've already done. You're more likely to get buy-in with a lower haircut than what the execs are getting.

"In response to the pandemic, ESPN has already reduced executive VP pay by 30 percent, senior VP pay by 25 percent and VP pay by 20 percent."

Reaction Score
If the on-air talent has contracts, and there's no clause that gives them an out for pandemics (highly unlikely) then ESPN has to honor the contract and pay them. Unless they agree to renegotiate.
If I'm one of those asked to take less, I renegotiate. Certainly "loyalty" is risky, but talent and management should both hope for the continued success of the company. I would agree to take less based upon receipt of a benefit/consideration (which is really needed to change the contract anyway). Extend the contract, increase the amount of compensation on the back-end, receipt of Disney stock options (at a depressed price). To me, that's fair to both sides. If Disney offers benefits like that, you'll look pretty crappy if you don't agree to renegotiate in these times. But just agreeing to walk away from 15% may not be fair either if you have a contract.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom