Replacing a Legend and Recovering | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Replacing a Legend and Recovering

Reaction Score
Dan Hurley is not respected in the NESPAC circles. The last good NE player he got was Jared Terrell in 2014. He does not develop players. This is why the coaches at Brewster are pushing players to the UCONN staff. No one is pushing anyone toward Danny.

Because our staff excels at developing players?

Reaction Score
It is an intriguing idea, and I think he's probably a very good coach. But we made a mistake in 2012 in hiring an unproven guy with NBA playing experience and only a couple of years as an assistant. We have to get a guy who has shown he can run a program.

The two guys at the top of this list would/should probably be at the top of our list.
BasketballRecruiting.Rivals.com - Ranking the 10 best mid-major classes of the 2018 early period
Pat Skerry would get a look and is a Massachusetts native.
I think Becker at UVM is worth talking to as well.

Seriously, LOL at Becker. Solid basketball coach, but you have absolutely no idea that he can recruit at the level we need.

Reaction Score
Seriously, LOL at Becker. Solid basketball coach, but you have absolutely no idea that he can recruit at the level we need.
Amen.

The reason guys like Hurley, Musselman, Skelly, Konkol, Kelsey & Grant are mentioned is because they've recruited at a high-major level even though they're coaching at mid-major or below. You know they can pull talent.

Becker doesn't have that resume hit, and the lack thereof is disqualifying. The end.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

I know. But his team would beat ours anyway. I'm just desperate for a guy who can coach. I do think Amaker should be high on the list.

Reaction Score
Pat Skerry has completely turned around a awful program in Townson.. He was a assistant at Pitt , PC and URI where he had a great recruiting rep..IMO he has a stronger resume than Danny Hurley..
When Skerry was at PC there was talk about having him be head coach after the Ken Davis fiasco. He should get a long look.
Leonard Hamilton has been at FSU for 13 or so years, Miami and pros before that, don't see him leaving the South
Firing Ollie now gives them a leg up before having to compete against other programs when they look for new coaches

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I know. But his team would beat ours anyway. I'm just desperate for a guy who can coach. I do think Amaker should be high on the list.

Why though? What has he shown as a HC over the last 20 years? He's been in charge of 3 D1 basketball programs. He was middle of the pack or less with the 2 Majors.

What he's done at Harvard is certainly commendable. But it seems like he's found his niche, rather than deserving of more. You can certainly argue he's learned and grown, but I do think Ivy's are different beasts. IDK

There's better candidates imo.

Last edited:

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
Ooooo, I like the idea of Amaker. Only drawback is, could he recruit at the level of UConn?

intlzncster

Reaction Score
When Skerry was at PC there was talk about having him be head coach after the Ken Davis fiasco. He should get a long look.
Leonard Hamilton has been at FSU for 13 or so years, Miami and pros before that, don't see him leaving the South
Firing Ollie now gives them a leg up before having to compete against other programs when they look for new coaches

I don't think so. I think it really only accomplishes 2 things: allowing recruits and players to more easily find new spots, and to further damage the brand nationally (mid season basketball firing is unusual). No coach of a mid tier is going to want to be interviewing or taking a job mid season either. They don't want to hurt their current program more than they already have. jmo

A school as prominent as UCONN shouldn't have too much trouble against the competition (also-ran's); it's not like they are going up against the Dukes of the world.

Reaction Score
Ooooo, I like the idea of Amaker. Only drawback is, could he recruit at the level of UConn?
No, the drawbacks are that he failed at Seton Hall, failed at Michigan, and is now trending downward at Harvard after six admittedly very strong years.

If he's our next coach we're in trouble.

Reaction Score
No site list URI's recruiting as a top 25. U making stuff up for Dannyboy again. He got 1 four star and 2 three stars players. Ollie has 4 four stars coming in if u count Sid Wilson as a freshman
2018 Basketball Team Rankings

Look harder next time. With our brand and facilities it'll only be a matter of time before Hurley is regularly hauling top 20 classes to UConn. Plot twist, though. These top 20 classes will develop as players.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Replying to @intlzncster too.

He's recruiting well at Harvard, where he is seriously restricted in who he can take, and where he can't even offer athletic scholarships. He was so-so at Seton Hall and a little better at Michigan, but was younger then. He has done a great job at Harvard, and comes from the Coach K tree.

I don't really know who we can attract. Anybody would be a gamble, including Hurley.
Skerry hasn't done anything to excite me, and it's all been at Towson. No ranked teams or tournament appearances (Amaker has 4 tournament appearances and 2 ranked teams over that period...at an Ivy, and Hurley 1, last year).

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
No, the drawbacks are that he failed at Seton Hall, failed at Michigan, and is now trending downward at Harvard after six admittedly very strong years.

If he's our next coach we're in trouble.
I never understood the criticism of someone's body of work from like 20 years ago when they've grown and had success since. I'm willing to bet about 99% of successful people in any field went through periods of struggles before reaching success.

But if you want to have concerns about how he's had a couple of rough seasons of late, then that's a fair argument.

Reaction Score
Replying to @intlzncster too.

He's recruiting well at Harvard, where he is seriously restricted in who he can take, and where he can't even offer athletic scholarships. He was so-so at Seton Hall and a little better at Michigan, but was younger then. He has done a great job at Harvard, and comes from the Coach K tree.
1. He is recruiting well at Harvard – he's had the No. 1 class in the conference four of the last five seasons, including the 2016 class that was #25 in the nation (huge accomplishment for an Ivy school). The one year he didn't have the No. 1 class in the conference, it was the No. 2 class.

2. Despite that, Harvard have been meh this year. Charitably they're the third-best team in the league. They're just 5-8 with a few losses to genuinely horrible teams. Holy Cross is brutally bad, and Manhattan's not much better.

3. Over the last four years their win total has gone like this: 27-22-14-18.

4. He wasn't "a little better" at Michigan – his team never made the tournament in his six years. He did win over 20 games 3 of his last 4 seasons, though, because he had a knack for making deep NIT runs.

5. Nonetheless, he had a losing year in his 4th season in Ann Arbor, and only one winning conference season out of sixth.

6. How in god's name is coming from the Coach K tree any sort of positive?

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I never understood the criticism of someone's body of work from like 20 years ago when they've grown and had success since. I'm willing to bet about 99% of successful people in any field went through periods of struggles before reaching success.

But if you want to have concerns about how he's had a couple of rough seasons of late, then that's a fair argument.

Fair. His first job, I can accept average results. I might not have had a problem hiring him as a Michigan fan. But he arguably got worse at Michigan, with better facilities, brand, resources etc. And at that point, we are talking about 10 years of work in total. You would expect things to trend up somewhat during that time if a guy is learning and growing.

Now he goes to Harvard and has success. You could make a good case that is because he has found his niche at that level, not because he finally 'got it'. Maybe that type of scholar athlete is who he appeals to, or that level of competition, or what have you. The Ivy's aren't your typical mid major conference.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
1. He is recruiting well at Harvard – he's had the No. 1 class in the conference four of the last five seasons, including the 2016 class that was #25 in the nation (huge accomplishment for an Ivy school). The one year he didn't have the No. 1 class in the conference, it was the No. 2 class.

2. Despite that, Harvard have been meh this year. Charitably they're the third-best team in the league. They're just 5-8 with a few losses to genuinely horrible teams. Holy Cross is brutally bad, and Manhattan's not much better.

3. Over the last four years their win total has gone like this: 27-22-14-18.

4. He wasn't "a little better" at Michigan – his team never made the tournament in his six years. He did win over 20 games 3 of his last 4 seasons, though, because he had a knack for making deep NIT runs.

5. Nonetheless, he had a losing year in his 4th season in Ann Arbor, and only one winning conference season out of sixth.

6. How in god's name is coming from the Coach K tree any sort of positive?

#2-3 (which are the same point) is the one that concerns me most. As for #6, I know we hate Duke, but K is a great coach and Amaker was a smart player.

I think Ollie will be back. I don't think they have the money to buy him out and I don't think there is any obvious upgrade that would come here. For all the glowing about Hurley, his class is not really any better than ours (just an extra 3*...I don't want more 3*s). What concerns me most about Ollie is what concerned me about Diaco...I don't see buy in from the players or competent coaching in games or schemes.

So who do you suggest? I'm really missing the coach out there that is truly impressive and who would come to UConn. Nobody is leaving a good P5 job to come to Storrs with our expectations.

Reaction Score
For all the glowing about Hurley, his class is not really any better than ours (just an extra 3*...I don't want more 3*s).
Getting those quality of players to come to URI is a victory. He took over the worst team in the conference and slowly built it into a perennial 20+ win team, and built them into the best recruiting team in the A-10. He's also had a very good eye for transfers and under-the-radar talents.

You may not want any more 3*s, but the fact is that whether it's Ollie or someone new, the UConn coaching staff for the next few years is going to have to identify, land and develop at least a few 150-250-ranked players. Unless Coach K wants to move to Storrs, there's no avoiding that.

So we need a coach who's shown some facility for digging a program out of a hole.

What concerns me most about Ollie is what concerned me about Diaco...I don't see buy in from the players or competent coaching in games or schemes.
Agree 100%, and that – not recruiting – is why he needs to go.

So who do you suggest? I'm really missing the coach out there that is truly impressive and who would come to UConn. Nobody is leaving a good P5 job to come to Storrs with our expectations.
It depends on how much money we have to offer. If we can throw $2.5 million at somebody, there will be plenty of interested parties (including, perhaps, the other Hurley, as well as a few of the better-regarded Big East coaches).

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Getting those quality of players to come to URI is a victory. He took over the worst team in the conference and slowly built it into a perennial 20+ win team, and built them into the best recruiting team in the A-10. He's also had a very good eye for transfers and under-the-radar talents.

You may not want any more 3*s, but the fact is that whether it's Ollie or someone new, the UConn coaching staff for the next few years is going to have to identify, land and develop at least a few 150-250-ranked players. Unless Coach K wants to move to Storrs, there's no avoiding that.

So we need a coach who's shown some facility for digging a program out of a hole.

Agree 100%, and that – not recruiting – is why he needs to go.

It depends on how much money we have to offer. If we can throw $2.5 million at somebody, there will be plenty of interested parties (including, perhaps, the other Hurley, as well as a few of the better-regarded Big East coaches).

You think Bobby Hurley (one of my most hated players of all time as a UConn fan), would leave ASU for UConn? I think he's headed to Durham in his next stop.

Which Big East coaches would come here? I'd take Chris Mack for sure. I suppose you have a point on the money....it's amazing how overpaid Ollie is.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
it's amazing how overpaid Ollie is.

And the trendlines of both a) the AD's financial success and b) the amount of support the state will give the university both indicate that the new coach's salary will not be very close to Ollie's.

Reaction Score
You think Bobby Hurley (one of my most hated players of all time as a UConn fan), would leave ASU for UConn? I think he's headed to Durham in his next stop.
Honestly I don't think he'd come here, but I also don't think he has a chance in hell of replacing K.

Which Big East coaches would come here? I'd take Chris Mack for sure. I suppose you have a point on the money....it's amazing how overpaid Ollie is.
If the money's right, pretty much any Big East coach is get-able save for Wright.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I think Ollie will be back. I don't think they have the money to buy him out and I don't think there is any obvious upgrade that would come here. For all the glowing about Hurley, his class is not really any better than ours (just an extra 3*...I don't want more 3*s). What concerns me most about Ollie is what concerned me about Diaco...I don't see buy in from the players or competent coaching in games or schemes.

He's recruiting guys to URI, an A-10 school no less, who could play at UCONN. And his team plays hard and is coached well.

I don't know if a guy like that is the long term answer, but that would point to an obvious upgrade no?

According to others, he's struggled in the NE with recruiting, so getting someone on his staff who has that on lock down would be critical.

pj

Reaction Score
2018 Basketball Team Rankings

Look harder next time. With our brand and facilities it'll only be a matter of time before Hurley is regularly hauling top 20 classes to UConn. Plot twist, though. These top 20 classes will develop as players.

Including Sid Wilson in 2018, UConn has a top 20 class. Development is an open question, KO has to prove himself. I think Hurley's ability to step up is almost as speculative as KO's though, and we don't have to pay a buy-out to keep KO. Still rooting for him.

Reaction Score
Including Sid Wilson in 2018, UConn has a top 20 class. Development is an open question, KO has to prove himself. I think Hurley's ability to step up is almost as speculative as KO's though, and we don't have to pay a buy-out to keep KO. Still rooting for him.
Recruiting has never truly been a big issue for KO in my opinion. I was skeptical of the Chillious hire for that reason. I would’ve preferred an Associate HC with head coaching experience or a coach known for his offensive philosophies.

With that said, I disagree that Hurley’s ability to develop players is as speculative as KO. This is Hurley’s best recruiting class in his time at URI. With less talented classes he’s made an irrelevant program into a premier mid-major. Hassan Martin developed in his time, Terrell has developed into A10 POY potential, Kuran Iverson - who was written off by many - salvaged his college career under Hurley. That’s just naming a few. Hurley can coach and I’m excited for the UConn faithful to see it when he’s our next coach.

Reaction Score

Look, the thought of Bobby does make the bile rise up the back of my throat...but, I do think our program would be way more appealing than ASU. He’s a NJ guy, correct? He could dominate this area in recruiting - and his personality would be a much better fit in the NE. There’s no question he’s proved himself - doing more with less at Buffalo and ASU. What would he do with more? I’ve heard nil regarding a pending Coach K retirement or that Bobby would even be in line for the job. I think we deserve to aim high.

pj

Reaction Score
Recruiting has never truly been a big issue for KO in my opinion. I was skeptical of the Chillious hire for that reason. I would’ve preferred an Associate HC with head coaching experience or a coach known for his offensive philosophies.

With that said, I disagree that Hurley’s ability to develop players is as speculative as KO. This is Hurley’s best recruiting class in his time at URI. With less talented classes he’s made an irrelevant program into a premier mid-major. Hassan Martin developed in his time, Terrell has developed into A10 POY potential, Kuran Iverson - who was written off by many - salvaged his college career under Hurley. That’s just naming a few. Hurley can coach and I’m excited for the UConn faithful to see it when he’s our next coach.

I would agree that Hurley is a good coach, but can he step up his recruiting to the level we need? Hurley has strengths KO lacks, but KO also has strengths Hurley lacks.

I do agree that KO should really get a top assistant with head coaching experience. He should really give up $500k from his salary to get a top assistant coach, and replace Moore or Killings with somebody who is strong where he is weak. Coaching a top program is a team game and he needs to know his weaknesses and his strengths, and build a staff that is strong where he is weak. I think Chillious was a good hire, KO needed a head of recruiting, clearly Miller was bringing in the wrong players and KO didn't have the ability (or perhaps the time) to lead the recruiting evaluations and strategizing by himself.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom