Repeat? Worth repeating. | The Boneyard

Repeat? Worth repeating.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
"We shoot the ball really well. We're really good. We're a really good shooting team" From the G man. I could do cartwheels if I could! I know the mantra of defense winning championships, but sometimes it comes down to whoever touches the ball last.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Man, all of this positivity either has me elated or concerned.

Has he lost his edge (Paige accuses him of being "nice")? Is he setting us (the fan base) up for disappointment? Has he lowered his standards?

Or is UConn really that good? When is the last time he's gone into the season talking so positively about the team?

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Man, all of this positivity either has me elated or concerned.

Has he lost his edge (Paige accuses him of being "nice")? Is he setting us (the fan base) up for disappointment? Has he lowered his standards?

Or is UConn really that good? When is the last time he's gone into the season talking so positively about the team?
Im holding back til after the Northeastern game but I have a feeling this is gonna be a terrific season. My concerns are how will be come back from our injuries and will they be lingering. If theyre not we are gonna be really really good. Yeah we have height and shooters. First of all Lou from what were told can get her own shot as can Azzi and Caroline. We have bigs that can score. I think Ice and Patterson will be able to hold their own early on. As the season progresses they will become two forces. You know somethin? We could win a NC if this team lives up to expectations without Paige and next season would be off the charts when she gets back. But I will wait til after the Northeastern game before I get it going. Im excited really excited about this season and with who we have coming back and coming in next season and oh yeah lets not forget the possibility of overseas players.

Reaction Score
"We shoot the ball really well. We're really good. We're a really good shooting team" From the G man. I could do cartwheels if I could! I know the mantra of defense winning championships, but sometimes it comes down to whoever touches the ball last.

I’ve only been following the Huskies for about 5 years, but I must have heard Geno say “ What can I say, we can’t shoot to save our lives!!”, at least 2 dozen times. Or: “If we can’t score ourselves maybe we can keep the other guys from scoring”
Maybe this whole complimentary, Mr. Nice Guy act is just a ploy to set the ladies up for the REAL Geno yet to come.
Like the Marine Corps boot camp in reverse.
Build them up and then tear them down until they are ready to really listen.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
I’ve only been following the Huskies for about 5 years, but I must have heard Geno say “ What can I say, we can’t shoot to save our lives!!”, at least 2 dozen times. Or: “If we can’t score ourselves maybe we can keep the other guys from scoring”
Maybe this whole complimentary, Mr. Nice Guy act is just a ploy to set the ladies up for the REAL Geno yet to come.
Like the Marine Corps boot camp in reverse.
Build them up and then tear them down until they are ready to really listen.
He has said this team listens to him.

Reaction Score
I really like the sound of this revelation of a good shooting team. I admit, that I am a wait and see guy. When they are tested against one of the other competitive teams that will appear in the final four, then we can all have our opinions out in the open with more substance. And, please no more injuries in practice or games.

I still would like to have that 7' 0" center from Eastern Europe, Ivana Stepalloverya.
:):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Not only no mention of Amari, but there were 2 points where he talked about the post players specifically, and crickets when it came to Amari.

First he was asked about the post players and he said that "we have Dorka and Aaliyah who are experienced, and Ice and Ayanna who are new".

Then he was talking about players who were good shooters and he specifically mentioned Dorka, Aaliyah and Ice, and said Ayanna was more around the basket. He even mentioned Aubrey, but nothing about Amari.

Not good news for Amari at all. It's beginning to sound like she will be the very last post player off the bench, and may just see time on the floor in mop up - the last 4 minutes of games. Ball was in her court. Not liking what I'm "not" hearing when the coach speaks.

Reaction Score
Im holding back til after the Northeastern game but I have a feeling this is gonna be a terrific season. My concerns are how will be come back from our injuries and will they be lingering. If theyre not we are gonna be really really good. Yeah we have height and shooters. First of all Lou from what were told can get her own shot as can Azzi and Caroline. We have bigs that can score. I think Ice and Patterson will be able to hold their own early on. As the season progresses they will become two forces. You know somethin? We could win a NC if this team lives up to expectations without Paige and next season would be off the charts when she gets back. But I will wait til after the Northeastern game before I get it going. Im excited really excited about this season and with who we have coming back and coming in next season and oh yeah lets not forget the possibility of overseas players.
Wait until after TEXAS, at least! I'm confident, but I believe the first month will tell
the Boneyard a lot.... and it will be "good"!

Reaction Score
I am not going to try and read anything into what GENO said and take it at face value that he is happy with the way the team is progressing, He commented on the perimeter players are shooting very well and I accept his evaluation. He stated that several of them have gelled together and are working well together. He stated his job is to get the prime players to motivate themselves into being better players, that if he couldn't, then he failed because he couldn't do it for them, they had to do it. He said there were several players that are doing that. Listening to him talk so quietly with just a hint of satisfaction in his voice tells me that at this time he knows he's got a championship team this year. That's what I saw in this video and will wait till the TEXAS game to see if I saw right. GO HUSKIES!!!

Reaction Score
Not only no mention of Amari, but there were 2 points where he talked about the post players specifically, and crickets when it came to Amari.

First he was asked about the post players and he said that "we have Dorka and Aaliyah who are experienced, and Ice and Ayanna who are new".

Then he was talking about players who were good shooters and he specifically mentioned Dorka, Aaliyah and Ice, and said Ayanna was more around the basket. He even mentioned Aubrey, but nothing about Amari.

Not good news for Amari at all. It's beginning to sound like she will be the very last post player off the bench, and may just see time on the floor in mop up - the last 4 minutes of games. Ball was in her court. Not liking what I'm "not" hearing when the coach speaks.
Your dissection of his speech is perfect, but also concerning for us fans. We want all members of the team to do well, and so we always root for them to thrive, flourish, grow, mature, etc.
I’ll continue rooting for Amari’s success!

Reaction Score
Anyone who follows and analyzes sports, specifically U Conn knows this has the makings of a special team. What started as an optimistic thread became a buzz killer at the mention of Amari.

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
A few random observations:

I do not know him but this interviewer is very good. Very poised and good questions. It was well done. It cut off at an odd point which was unfortunate.

Geno likes this team. He respects them. The combination of the pandemic and a very young team made him a bit grumpy a couple of seasons ago. Last season was just a roller coaster of emotions, and notwithstanding the horrific Paige injury maybe the current "calm" is a good place to be for the time being. This team is more of a veteran team and the freshman are pretty special but he can work them in.

Coaching is not easy, but this seems to be a pretty great group to coach. As Geno noted, the best way to motivate players is to recruit highly motivated players. He has done that.

He seems particularly happy with Azzi, Caroline and Lou. That should not be a surprise to anyone.

Lou is 24 years old. I doubt that Geno has coached anyone that old before. She is also very mature and definitely gets it. I have to believe that the level of respect he has for her impacts his overall mindset. Actually, for all that many his players have gone through, especially injury-wise - like Dorka, Aubrey, Caroline, Azzi, Nika - I think there is a heightened feeling of respect. He respects all of his teams, of course, although he doesn`t always show it - but this seems a little different, especially early on.

He would prefer to be wisecracking about what a pain in the butt Paige is, but that will wait until next season.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Tend to agree. The backup C role was probably Amari's to lose this year, but Ice could take that plus provide PF minutes. Although Amari could play PF she needs to earn her playing time at C, because at PF she could conceivably be the 5th best option (Aaliyah, Ayanna, Ice, Aubrey) before even considering going small with Caroline or Lou.

Next year Dorka is gone and at this point the only player with true C height would be Amari. But there was positive hope regarding El Alfy today, and she or a portal transfer could move ahead of Amari even next year if she doesn't show enough this year. When she was recruited I think a reasonable expectation would have been a four year contributor in the rotation. Maybe a starter maybe not, but be significant in all four years or at least 3 out of the 4.

She seems to have enough talent that it might still happen, but time is running out.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
He has said this team listens to him.
That's one (there are others) of the reasons he's relaxed this going into the season. They listen to him, do what they're asked (coached) to do, and hustle their tails off in practice everyday. I'm taking my cue from Geno...............if he's relaxed, then we can be also. He knows something. ;) He's had "juggernaughts" before. He knows one when he sees it. :D

Carnac

Reaction Score
Tend to agree. The backup C role was probably Amari's to lose this year, but Ice could take that plus provide PF minutes. Although Amari could play PF she needs to earn her playing time at C, because at PF she could conceivably be the 5th best option (Aaliyah, Ayanna, Ice, Aubrey) before even considering going small with Caroline or Lou.

Next year Dorka is gone and at this point the only player with true C height would be Amari. But there was positive hope regarding El Alfy today, and she or a portal transfer could move ahead of Amari even next year if she doesn't show enough this year. When she was recruited I think a reasonable expectation would have been a four year contributor in the rotation. Maybe a starter maybe not, but be significant in all four years or at least 3 out of the 4.

She seems to have enough talent that it might still happen, but time is running out.
The only person that can keep Amari off the court this year is..............AMARI.

Carnac

Reaction Score
A few random observations:

I do not know him but this interviewer is very good. Very poised and good questions. It was well done. It cut off at an odd point which was unfortunate.

Geno likes this team. He respects them. The combination of the pandemic and a very young team made him a bit grumpy a couple of seasons ago. Last season was just a roller coaster of emotions, and notwithstanding the horrific Paige injury maybe the current "calm" is a good place to be for the time being. This team is more of a veteran team and the freshman are pretty special but he can work them in.

Coaching is not easy, but this seems to be a pretty great group to coach. As Geno noted, the best way to motivate players is to recruit highly motivated players. He has done that.

He seems particularly happy with Azzi, Caroline and Lou. That should not be a surprise to anyone.

Lou is 24 years old. I doubt that Geno has coached anyone that old before. She is also very mature and definitely gets it. I have to believe that the level of respect he has for her impacts his overall mindset. Actually, for all that many his players have gone through, especially injury-wise - like Dorka, Aubrey, Caroline, Azzi, Nika - I think there is a heightened feeling of respect. He respects all of his teams, of course, although he doesn`t always show it - but this seems a little different, especially early on.

He would prefer to be wisecracking about what a pain in the butt Paige is, but that will wait until next season.
Three of his 5 starters with Aaliyah and Dorka being the other two. Every year we try to figure out who the starters will be. It's a no-brainer this year. :)

Reaction Score
Who starts is insignificant on this team. The minutes played vs. top competition will be the picture being developed coming into focus,and apparent to everyone.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
even someone locked in a vault at the bottom of the ocean can feel the good vibes coming from this squad.
top sound on this classic for the top coach.
im pickin up good vibrations.

Reaction Score
just see many games in the tournament comedown to rebounding and defense, every team is gonna have a bad shooting night, it's the ones who steal second posessions and turnovers that usually decide who moves on.

Reaction Score
Defense works well in close games but the plain truth is: If you don't score, you don't win. Which is most important---easy--BOTH, at times, with different teams, different needs. Geno, often in the past had great shooting teams and (if not all) most were NC winners.
As in the Arizona team a couple of years ago, a lock down defender was needed, but mostly Paige needed help in scoring, as Maya did a decade or more ago, needed scoring help against Stanford .
Geno is a happy man, well, as happy as Geno can be this time of year.

Reaction Score
I really like the sound of this revelation of a good shooting team. I admit, that I am a wait and see guy. When they are tested against one of the other competitive teams that will appear in the final four, then we can all have our opinions out in the open with more substance. And, please no more injuries in practice or games.

I still would like to have that 7' 0" center from Eastern Europe, Ivana Stepalloverya.
:):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)
Three of his 5 starters with Aaliyah and Dorka being the other two. Every year we try to figure out who the starters will be. It's a no-brainer this year. :)
Very old, I agree---7 ft 7 would be OK, ---I'm still a wait and see---er, Texas, NC, if Geno's kids can rack up good numbers on these two , I may take another breath.

CARNAC---I admit, my brain isn''t what it was --or even if it's there some times---I agree with probably one of your 2 here shall start Tx or NC, if we are all surprised with AYANNA or Deberry, I'd be delighted. For much of the past decade I lamented the few in numbers of superior shooters or driving shooters (or our inability to stop those of opponents).It will be welcome relief.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Very old, I agree---7 ft 7 would be OK, ---I'm still a wait and see---er, Texas, NC, if Geno's kids can rack up good numbers on these two , I may take another breath.

CARNAC---I admit, my brain isn''t what it was --or even if it's there some times---I agree with probably one of your 2 here shall start Tx or NC, if we are all surprised with AYANNA or Deberry, I'd be delighted. For much of the past decade I lamented the few in numbers of superior shooters or driving shooters (or our inability to stop those of opponents).It will be welcome relief.
Qualifier - My prediction for Geno's starting 5 of Azzi, Nika, Caroline, Aaliyah and Dorka is for the Northeastern game only. Things happen. Players impress, players disappoint, perceptions change. No one can predict WITH ANY DEGREE OF CERTANTY who the starting 5 will be for the Texas game 4 days later. Geno's starting unit may look completely different come mid-January. :cool:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom