Remember the Clingan Take... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Remember the Clingan Take...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I'm not going to say anything specific to the DC talk because I wasn't involved & didn't see people going hard at him but in general it irritates me when someone dunks on a person only to come back and say "whoops, looks like I was wrong".

All of those people who trashed Hurley, Jackson, Newton and 3 months later they're partying just as hard as the people who supported the team throughout. Rubs me the wrong way.

Reaction Score
Offseason is pretty boring right now, eh?

Went through some of my own pre-season Clingan takes, these ones made me laugh:
  • I listed this as an unknown - "Will Karaban and/or Clingan produce year 1 or will they need a year to get accustomed to college?"
  • When predicting PPG numbers - "Clingan: 2"
  • When predicting the bench order - "6th Alleyne, 7th Diarra, 8th Karaban, 9th Clingan/Calcaterra, 10th Calcaterra/Clingan"
  • Later in October - "That pushes Calcaterra and Clingan to 10th and 11th where they probably won’t see many minutes at all"
imo it's okay to be wrong as long as you're not being disrespectful about it and you own it later!

Reaction Score
I got one right. I saw him play around 10 minutes and said he was already NBA ready. I was mainly referring to his footwork, timing and rebounding. Having said that, I do not see him as a star, although he seems to have a good work ethic.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Feels kinda lame to dunk on people for predictions made with limited information. Especially when the process for being skeptical was correct. It’s not like anyone predicted Clingan would be the best backup center in modern CBB history either.

pj

Reaction Score
All this reminiscing is fun, but nothing is going to top the Fire Hurley! thread at halftime of the Iona NCAA tourney game.

Dove

Part of the 2%, but 100% wood.
Reaction Score
Anyone remember in preseason when someone said that Clingan was basically no better than a warm body, super raw, and that we were only recruiting him as a favor and because it would look bad if we ignored a Top 50 in-state kid?

What happened to that guy?
I would have guessed it was you.

Reaction Score
My fave eat crow thread was the one years ago about 'Bazz being the "Worst Starting PG in Calhoun's Tenure" thread. That one was awesome.

Reaction Score
All this reminiscing is fun, but nothing is going to top the Fire Hurley! thread at halftime of the Iona NCAA tourney game.

Nothing will top "No D, Heartless, Gutless" in 2011, but this comes close.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I promise this isn’t gonna happen two years in a row. I’ll delete my account if Singare is a first round prospect after his freshman year.
You said his role will be just a "warm body." Lotta space between the 1st round prospect and warm body. Looks like you are using the Muntz playbook.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
This is an everyday occurrence for @UConnSwag11
I never left. You were pretty quiet during the losing streak, and after the BET though. Weird.

No complaints. Hurley lived up to the December expectations I had and shattered my preseason expectations. I probably was the most positive when we drew Iona and when Kansas was eliminated.

Enjoy the summer and stop thinking about me! :D

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I promise this isn’t gonna happen two years in a row. I’ll delete my account if Singare is a first round prospect after his freshman year.
Bookmarked.

Reaction Score
Thankfully we don't keep receipts from the chat. It's absolute anarchy.
"Hurley ain't the guy" was the greatest hit but:
"put AJax at the end of the bench" also climbed the charts and:
"Newton is a liability" had a real catchy chorus.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I for one applaud anyone on this message board who has the energy and brain capacity to remember bad takes, who said them and then call them out for it.

I just assume every thread has comments from one extreme to the other extreme and everywhere in between. Sometimes you're right, other times you're wrong.

Reaction Score
I never left. You were pretty quiet during the losing streak, and after the BET though. Weird.

No complaints. Hurley lived up to the December expectations I had and shattered my preseason expectations. I probably was the most positive when we drew Iona and when Kansas was eliminated.

Enjoy the summer and stop thinking about me! :D
Nah, I was not. I continued to let you know your takes were bottom of the barrel level basketball IQ. Especially after the SH game where you blamed the loss on the guy who was home with Covid. Check the receipts. Clowns talking about how the Nova game was a litmus test for the season and I laughed at them for not understanding this team could win a title.

But yea, I was at the BET and every NCAAT game, so I don't live online.

Pumped to hear how DH cannot coach when he losses one game next year.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
I for one applaud anyone on this message board who has the energy and brain capacity to remember bad takes, who said them and then call them out for it.

I just assume every thread has comments from one extreme to the other extreme and everywhere in between. Sometimes you're right, other times you're wrong.

But some REALLY stand out.

Reaction Score
No idea how to quote the post in this thread since they took that feature away, but definitely got the Karaban part of the quote right. The rest...

UConn Outside AP Top 25
I just want to point out how right I was about this team from the beginning and everyone was coming for my throat in that thread for saying we should have been ranked.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
No idea how to quote the post in this thread since they took that feature away, but definitely got the Karaban part of the quote right. The rest...

UConn Outside AP Top 25

I'm comfortable with my takes in that thread. I could see why UConn wasn't given benefit of the doubt but expected them to end up better than the preseason. Not a sizzzling hot take, but it worked.

Screenshot 2023-05-12 095914.jpg

Reaction Score
I didn't intend for this to devolve into "remember all the s____y takes from the preseason", though I suppose I could have predicted that outcome.

Now that we're here, I think we can clearly put to bed the idea that the outbound transfers were a big loss or that the inbound transfers weren't up to the task. Newton, Alleyne, Calcaterra, and even Diarra were more than adequate replacements and played a huge role in our run.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I didn't intend for this to devolve into "remember all the s____y takes from the preseason", though I suppose I could have predicted that outcome.

Now that we're here, I think we can clearly put to bed the idea that the outbound transfers were a big loss or that the inbound transfers weren't up to the task. Newton, Alleyne, Calcaterra, and even Diarra were more than adequate replacements and played a huge role in our run.

Going forward there will always be threads in September and October trying to compare the inbounds and outbounds and it will almost always take until end of season to see the real answer. A few years will be outliers where clearly there was a step up in talent or a big gap, but for the most part, we're stucking hemming and hawing to see if the news pieces work better than the old pieces. And, as you probably know, it's not a pure comparison, since the returning talent will vary.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score

I hated the exodus last season. I thought both.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom