Remember the Clingan Take... | The Boneyard

Remember the Clingan Take...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Anyone remember in preseason when someone said that Clingan was basically no better than a warm body, super raw, and that we were only recruiting him as a favor and because it would look bad if we ignored a Top 50 in-state kid?

What happened to that guy?

Reaction Score
I'm happy to eat crow in my Clingan takes early on. Anyone calling him a scrub was delusional, but I had no idea he'd be a potential Conference POY his sophomore year. He's outperformed expectations at every turn.

Credit where it's due. The kid has put in the work--that ain't easy.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Anyone remember in preseason when someone said that Clingan was basically no better than a warm body, super raw, and that we were only recruiting him as a favor and because it would look bad if we ignored a Top 50 in-state kid?

What happened to that guy?
Whaler and @polycom .

Reaction Score
I don't remember the preseason post specifically, but I do remember a certain poster all over his commitment thread trashing Donovan before moving on to dips on shots and transfers
On second thought since you asked to be tagged in a thread like this. @HuskyWarrior611

IMG_1037.jpeg

Reaction Score
On second thought since you asked to be tagged in a thread like this. @HuskyWarrior611

View attachment 88153

Amazingly, this couldn't be more wrong. It's not even a little wrong. Every single thing he said is dead-to-rights completely wrong.

SJ has yet to show a semblance of D1 basketball skill. Clingan took Drew Timme's lunch and ate it in front of him.

Reaction Score
Oooooh. I like this.
another example of how Hurley and Staff took a player with room for improvement and filled up that room in short order:
They turned Sanogo into MOP, they turned his "backup" into the best big man in the country, they turned a non-scorer into a potential first round pick, they made Whaley a Monster and they turned a no-d Joey C into a little pest.

There's more...

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
Floyd will hopefully provide more at the backup SG position than Hawkins did this year. And we need Hawkins to step up big time as the starting SG.

Karaban I hope will be a more well-rounded version of Polley.

Clingan will get a few minutes here and there, he's badly limited by the quality of competition he faced in HS and isn't remotely ready from what I can tell. Hopefully more Travis Knight than Justin Brown later in his career.

But I really have no idea.
All of you folks who think DC won't contribute because he stayed at Bristol Central are going to be proven wrong. And how can you mention the poor high school competition and then finish your post with "but I really have no idea".

I remember this. March 18, 2022

Reaction Score
Over the summer, I didn't think he'd get very many minutes as I was worried about his conditioning and figured Sanogo would get 30+ min a night.

But as we got to the early fall, it was clear reading Hurley's comments and tea leaves that he'd have a big impact:
My main takeaway from this is that I've been too low on Clingan's impact. I've been expecting 5-10 min due to Sanogo hogging minutes, but sounds like Hurley thinks he can contribute right away. 1-2 punch is not saying "potential", it's talking this year impact.
Hurley talking to Field of 68 says...
  • Raving about Clingan also. Lost 40 lbs down to 250s. Hands, passing, feel, facilitating, big benefit as a PnR roller. Main worry is ball screen defense. Seems like he will make a big impact on a per minute basis backing up Sanogo.
  • Smiling about Karaban. Seems to have the edge to start at the 4 (Hurley's words: "Real chance to start at the 4"). Lights out shooter and can really pass.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Over the summer, I didn't think he'd get very many minutes as I was worried about his conditioning and figured Sanogo would get 30+ min a night.

But as we got to the early fall, it was clear reading Hurley's comments and tea leaves that he'd have a big impact:

Can you pull up my take on Karaban from October private practice?

Reaction Score
A neighbor of my brother from Torrington, gave him the inside scoop. Clingan wasn't that good but it didn't because Hurley screwed up every big man he coached.

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score
All of you folks who think DC won't contribute because he stayed at Bristol Central are going to be proven wrong. And how can you mention the poor high school competition and then finish your post with "but I really have no idea".

I remember this. March 18, 2022
So, guy starts a thread wanting to remember a bad Clingan take, which prompts this memory of his own bad Clingan take. What are we doing here again?

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
I've had so many bad takes on the Yard I can't count them. I was almost hung for starting the Limerick thread. I thought Clingan would be more productive than others thought. I had no idea he'd be that good. I was more bummed that people were knocking him for staying at BCHS. Obviously the private schools are a big step up in competition but if kid wants to stay and play with his high school team it shouldn't be frowned upon.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score

View attachment 88153
When your gotcha moment isn’t much of a gotcha moment cause I literally started the thread myself, like I said in that post, about 2 games into the season.

The hate is crazy for someone who has pretty good takes (and the receipts have been shown) and can actually admit when they’re wrong fully unlike a lot of “smart” posters on this board who just go around calling people dumb every chance they get. Better luck next time on your gotcha moment though.

Thread 'I was dead wrong'
I was dead wrong

Reaction Score
When your gotcha moment isn’t much of a gotcha moment cause I literally started the thread myself, like I said in that post, about 2 games into the season.

The hate is crazy for someone who has pretty good takes (and the receipts have been shown) and can actually admit when they’re wrong fully unlike a lot of “smart” posters on this board who just go around calling people dumb every chance they get. Better luck next time on your gotcha moment though.

Thread 'I was dead wrong'
I was dead wrong
Tons of respect for posting when you know people are gonna jump ugly on you en masse. You take a beating on here at times, that's for damn sure

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score
Maybe we'll get an "I was dead wrong" post from the "We need a point guard" guy. Later followed up with, hey, let's recruit one of Alabama's murder crew as a transfer.
Not holding my breath

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Tons of respect for posting when you know people are gonna jump ugly on you en masse. You take a beating on here at times, that's for damn sure
Thanks bruh, I love UConn hoops (come from a family full of men’s and women’s fans) and this is literally the only great place to talk about it with others who care.

I don’t even care about differing opinions or if someone may not like a post. That’s fine it’s a message board. But what’s crazy is the “gotcha” moments or ignoring when something is clearly right. Like I don’t mind if something is wrong, that happens. But don’t aggressively say I’m wrong about something and then when it’s right go silent and then when I’m wrong shout it to the heavens or jump on it. That’s a punk thing to do. And I’m not even specifically talking about navery, just in general.

I’ve even noticed it with Tyler Betsey who I hinted at for awhile what his deal was and it’s ignored until someone else agrees. Not even mad for real cause again, it’s a message board it’s not that deep, it’s more so funny to see how some act. Lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom