Reggie Miller is better than Steph Curry | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Reggie Miller is better than Steph Curry

Reaction Score
I said it in my first post I think Steph is better, but it's not dumb to think about like many of the pro-Steph people think. It's hard to compare even though they are both guards, the game has changed so much and their roles were so different.
Again, Steph would lose some if he played in Reggie's era I believe. Green is a pretty good modern center and he's never had 1000 fg attempts in a season. Rik Smiths averaged about a thousand attempts for the most part of his career (a little under). A large of the game when Reggie played was dump the ball to the center and watch what he can do. Also, the lane was a different place. Centers did not have to go out and guard an opposing center at the 3 point line too often.

That said, I don't think what Steph would lose is more than Reggie would gain today.
Not trying to knock Klay, but until he's the man on a team and has them a perennial playoff contender, than I wouldn't compare him with Reggie. No Steph, and he's the best on the team. How are they? I want to see that first.

Reaction Score
I said it in my first post I think Steph is better, but it's not dumb to think about like many of the pro-Steph people think. It's hard to compare even though they are both guards, the game has changed so much and their roles were so different.
Again, Steph would lose some if he played in Reggie's era I believe. Green is a pretty good modern center and he's never had 1000 fg attempts in a season. Rik Smiths averaged about a thousand attempts for the most part of his career (a little under). A large of the game when Reggie played was dump the ball to the center and watch what he can do. Also, the lane was a different place. Centers did not have to go out and guard an opposing center at the 3 point line too often.

That said, I don't think what Steph would lose is more than Reggie would gain today.
Not trying to knock Klay, but until he's the man on a team and has them a perennial playoff contender, than I wouldn't compare him with Reggie. No Steph, and he's the best on the team. How are they? I want to see that first.

Love this post. Feel like it got what I was trying to poke at.

For the record, in an all-time draft I'm taking Curry. But there are guys who get lost in time. McHale. Dr J. Worthy. George Gervin. It's worth trying to mash the eras together.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I like Reggie Miller a lot, but I think Curry is better than Reggie Miller. I will say that Reggie's Pacers team would probably have won a title somewhere in the 90's through 2001 if they could have played a zone and there was no hand-checking.

Reaction Score
I like Reggie Miller a lot, but I think Curry is better than Reggie Miller. I will say that Reggie's Pacers team would probably have won a title somewhere in the 90's through 2001 if they could have played a zone and there was no hand-checking.

Bingo

Reaction Score
Love this post. Feel like it got what I was trying to poke at.

For the record, in an all-time draft I'm taking Curry. But there are guys who get lost in time. McHale. Dr J. Worthy. George Gervin. It's worth trying to mash the eras together.
Reggie and Steph was just the wrong comparison. Because it really isn’t close. Reggie and Klay is a better debate. The argument you wanna make is impossible to make, because all metrics and numbers point to Steph clearly being better

Reaction Score
Reggie and Steph was just the wrong comparison. Because it really isn’t close. Reggie and Klay is a better debate. The argument you wanna make is impossible to make, because all metrics and numbers point to Steph clearly being better

Klay isn't an alpha. Reggie was.

Reaction Score
Reggie was better than Ray Allen, Paul Pierce, and T-Mac.
Reggie had a better career than T-Mac, but in his (brief) prime, T-Mac was on another level.

Pierce was much better than Reggie in his prime and had an objectively better career.

Ray and Reggie is a fun debate. I’d give the slight edge to Ray because he was more well-rounded as a player, but it’s close.

Feels like there are lots of Pacers fans in this thread who are overrating how good Reggie was in the grand scheme of things.

Reaction Score
Reggie had a better career than T-Mac, but in his (brief) prime, T-Mac was on another level.

Pierce was much better than Reggie in his prime and had an objectively better career.

Ray and Reggie is a fun debate. I’d give the slight edge to Ray because he was more well-rounded as a player, but it’s close.

Feels like there are lots of Pacers fans in this thread who are overrating how good Reggie was in the grand scheme of things.
TMac's career was over at 29. From his Age 20 season to his Age 28 season (9 seasons) he:

- Averaged 25-6.5-5
- Won 2 scoring titles
- Made 7 All Stars (more than Reggie made his whole career)
- Made 7 All NBA teams: 2 First Team, 3 Second Team, 3 Third Team (Reggie made 3 Thirds total)
- Was a Top 10 MVP vote getter 6 years (Reggie never was)

Basically, for essentially a decade, Tracy McGrady was one of the best 10 players in the league. That's a long enough peak for me to be pretty comfortable putting him over guys who spent their whole career outside the Top 15-20 players.

Reaction Score
Guards now rebound more than they have in the past because the prevalence of the 3 kicks out longer rebound opportunities. On a team that wasn't even 3 reliant, Vital led the Huskies this year at SG.

No more Moses Malone plodding and camping in the paint for 16 RPG.
Centers and Forwards now play farther from the hoop. Because they aren't camping in the paint for 16RPG they are away from the basket, and they still grab more rebounds than guards by a wide margin.

in 1995 the top 40 rebounders were F/C,
in 2018 all but 3 of the top rebounders were F/C, those three:

Russell Westbrook (rebounds better than just about any guard in the league)
Ben Simmons (6'10")
and Luka Doncic (6'7")

So no, that doesn't explain the difference.

You also continue to ignore the steals, and give zero credit for the assists.

He is a more well-rounded player. Reggie was a catch and shoot player, Curry does much more.

Reaction Score
TMac's career was over at 29. From his Age 20 season to his Age 28 season (9 seasons) he:

- Averaged 25-6.5-5
- Won 2 scoring titles
- Made 7 All NBA teams: 2 First Team, 3 Second Team, 3 Third Team (Reggie made 3 Thirds total)

Basically, for essentially a decade, Tracy McGrady was one of the best 10 players in the league. That's a long enough peak for me to be pretty comfortable putting him over guys who spent their whole career outside the Top 15-20 players.

T-Mac also never got out of the first round. The Rockets improved when T-Mac got injured. But yeah he scored a lot of points, sweet.

Reaction Score
T-Mac also never got out of the first round. The Rockets improved when T-Mac got injured. But yeah he scored a lot of points, sweet.
Are you saying the Rockets got better after T-Mac left? Or they played better when he was on the team, but injured and not playing?

Because T-Mac left in 2010. Within 2 years they dismantled the team and started all over.

After the roster moves made by Morey during the 2012 NBA off-season,[127] only four players were left from the 2011–12 Rockets roster: Chandler Parsons, Greg Smith, Marcus Morris, and Patrick Patterson,[128]

Reaction Score

- Averaged 25-6.5-5
- Won 2 scoring titles

Tracy McGrady is Anthony Davis. Everyone raves about their talent....yet they never go anywhere and can't lead a team to anything. All these bullets in the post above? Meh. Great. He made 7 All Star teams. Oh, and he was 3rd team All NBA three times.

Reaction Score
Are you saying the Rockets got better after T-Mac left? Or they played better when he was on the team, but injured and not playing?

Because T-Mac left in 2010. Within 2 years they dismantled the team and started all over.

After the roster moves made by Morey during the 2012 NBA off-season,[127] only four players were left from the 2011–12 Rockets roster: Chandler Parsons, Greg Smith, Marcus Morris, and Patrick Patterson,[128]

2008-2009. T-Mac gets hurt, Rockets go on a run

Reaction Score
Tracy McGrady is Anthony Davis. Everyone raves about their talent....yet they never go anywhere and can't lead a team to anything. All these bullets in the post above? Meh. Great. He made 7 All Star teams. Oh, and he was 3rd team All NBA three times.
How many championships did Reggie win?

Reaction Score
go back to sleep boomer he’s a 2 time MVP. let me take the words from steven A and say “STAWP IT”

Reaction Score
Maybe the original thought morphed into too much.
Reggie Miller (like almost any shooter pre-3craziness) would be a better player in today's NBA then he was in his era. This is almost undisputable.
Steph Curry could have been worse if he played before the widespread 3 era AND might have have been more of the player initially expected (battling ankle injuries, not physical enough, hence that medium level 2nd contract) had he played in earlier eras.
This is debatable, but pretty likely.
Conclusion should not be that Reggie is better than Steph, it is that Reggie's game is more adaptable.
Reggie might have been better had both played in the earlier era and Reggie's career would be better in the current era. That and saying sibling Cheryl was better than sibling Seth, is as far as I'm willing to go in favor of the Millers.

Reaction Score
That's a pretty silly argument to make. You're better than that.
Well, you refuse to acknowledge that Curry (as PG) has to do more than Reggie, that he is a better rebounder and better defender (more steals). You don't care that Curry averages more points per game, and assists per game. You don't care about Curry's MVPs.

So.... what's left, other than you repeating that Miller is better?
;) :D

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom