Red Sox prospects | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Red Sox prospects

Reaction Score
He thinks just as many Yanks were using as Red Sox so I don't know how you can say he hates Sox cause of just this.

Just don't question Derek Jeter even though Mookie Betts hit virtually the same number of home runs in one minor league season (15) as Jeter hit in 4 (16). In fact, Jeter went from hitting 2 home runs in an entire AAA season to hitting 10 in NY the next year during the heart of the steroid era and eventually hit as many as 24 HR in a season. Both players were very young as they progressed through the minors so Mookie's surprising power was commented on extensively.

Everyone points at the 40+ HR guys as indicative of the steroid era, but what about the guys that would have hit 5 and instead hit 20?

Reaction Score
Just don't question Derek Jeter even though Mookie Betts hit virtually the same number of home runs in one minor league season (15) as Jeter hit in 4 (16). In fact, Jeter went from hitting 2 home runs in an entire AAA season to hitting 10 in NY the next year during the heart of the steroid era and eventually hit as many as 24 HR in a season. Both players were very young as they progressed through the minors so Mookie's surprising power was commented on extensively.

Everyone points at the 40+ HR guys as indicative of the steroid era, but what about the guys that would have hit 5 and instead hit 20?

I agree there's a ton of guys in the steroid era (which we are still in) who shouldn't even be in the majors but were able to maintain jobs because of the stuff. I'm never going to say no to DJ either, can't. I would love to see someone do some homework on guys who we think were obvious, then got contracts but suddenly weren't performing as they should have which would believe us to think they tried to stay off the radar and/or prove to themselves they could without?

Funny thing on FAN last week was Lenny Dykstra saying Greg Jeffires wasn't even a decent major leaguer without the stuff. I'm sure there's many Jeffries, Chad Curtis's, Kapler's etc etc etc....

Reaction Score
Check his minor league stats and then let me know. They said he was the next coming of Mantle and labeled him that immediately so I'm guessing they know that huh? Not sure I hear about Mooks power did you? Answer the question Vike....
When Murcer was 20, he had 15 HR's and a .433 slugging pct in AAA in over 500 PA
When Betts was 21, he split time between AA and AAA and had 11 HR and a .529 slugging pct between the two leagues

Neither player is big in size.

Do you see why I'm making the comp?

It's sad that you constantly have to question everyone because of what the steroid era did to you. Last year 9 guys finished with 40 HR's or more. This year, with 5-6 weeks to go in the regular season, there are only 7 guys in the majors who have 30 HR's or more. The high is 36. I'm guessing the major league leader will have 40-45 HR's. It's a far cry from the McGwire/Sosa/Bonds/Clemens days.

I'm sorry the Red Sox have a lot of good young hitters and it's forcing you to make passive-aggressive shots at them. Just enjoy your own team. Sanchez is having a nice start to his career.

Reaction Score
When Murcer was 20, he had 15 HR's and a .433 slugging pct in AAA in over 500 PA
When Betts was 21, he split time between AA and AAA and had 11 HR and a .529 slugging pct between the two leagues

Neither player is big in size.

Do you see why I'm making the comp?

It's sad that you constantly have to question everyone because of what the steroid era did to you. Last year 9 guys finished with 40 HR's or more. This year, with 5-6 weeks to go in the regular season, there are only 7 guys in the majors who have 30 HR's or more. The high is 36. I'm guessing the major league leader will have 40-45 HR's. It's a far cry from the McGwire/Sosa/Bonds/Clemens days.

I'm sorry the Red Sox have a lot of good young hitters and it's forcing you to make passive-aggressive shots at them. Just enjoy your own team. Sanchez is having a nice start to his career.

This isn't about the Sox, and it's sad you think that. It's also sad that you honestly believe I am the only one questioning what baseball has left us with. And it's also sad you watch with blinders on.

Do you think I question Brett Gardner a couple years ago suddenly finding some pop with that punching Judy swing? Yes I do. It's what baseball allowed and has proven they don't control very well. You stay naive Vike I will continue to question that game I once loved, it's my prerogative. You don't like it don't read it, that's all I can say. The games not the same, live with it!

Reaction Score
Hey guys, this is the USA. Your supposed to be innocent until proven guilty. Why can't we just enjoy the game?

Reaction Score
Moncado on the way. Not sure I agree with bringing up now. He is struggling a bit with AA Portland. He's hitting .277 but only .250 over the last 10 games. His strike-out to walk ratio is not good and he has very limited experience at third base. He has blazing speed but to throw him in at third in the midst of a pennant race could hurt his confidence. Between Holt, Shaw and Hill they should be able to cover third down the stretch.

They definitely should bring up Kelly and Hembree for the pen. A name to remember down the road is 22 year-old Jake Cosart who has some pretty amazing stats at A and advanced A pitching exclusively in relief.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Moncado on the way. Not sure I agree with bringing up now. He is struggling a bit with AA Portland. He's hitting .277 but only .250 over the last 10 games. His strike-out to walk ratio is not good and he has very limited experience at third base. He has blazing speed but to throw him in at third in the midst of a pennant race could hurt his confidence. Between Holt, Shaw and Hill they should be able to cover third down the stretch.

They definitely should bring up Kelly and Hembree for the pen. A name to remember down the road is 22 year-old Jake Cosart who has some pretty amazing stats at A and advanced A pitching exclusively in relief.

Moncada is literally only being brought up as a pinch-runner. He shouldn't have to play an inning of 3rd or have one full at-bat unless the rest of the roster is struck by the bubonic plague.

Reaction Score
Moncada is literally only being brought up as a pinch-runner. He shouldn't have to play an inning of 3rd or have one full at-bat unless the rest of the roster is struck by the bubonic plague.

Farrell said Moncada, a switch-hitter who has had more success from the left side, will get the bulk of the starts against right-handed pitching. Aaron Hill will start against left-handers, and Farrell suggested Hill could replace Moncada for defense in the late innings of close games.

Reaction Score
Farrell said Moncada, a switch-hitter who has had more success from the left side, will get the bulk of the starts against right-handed pitching. Aaron Hill will start against left-handers, and Farrell suggested Hill could replace Moncada for defense in the late innings of close games.
Looks like Moncada is going to do some bench sitting. I'm not surprised. Seven strikeouts in a row. He was striking out a lot in AA Portland. I had hoped that they could use him as a pinch runner because he is very fast. But then he got picked off a couple of games ago. They should never have brought him up. This can't be doing anything for his confidence. I think he is at least a year away.

Reaction Score
Out of all the prospects the Sox have brought up 2 (Bogaerts, Betts) are borderline all-stars and E-Rod has shown he has great stuff when he hits his spots (and doesn't tip his pitches). Look around the league and you will be hard pressed to find a team that has had multiple prize prospects unless they were consistanly picking in the top 5 for multiple years like the Cubs, Astros, Nats, etc.

This season is a heaping pile of goo but place the blame on the rotation headed by a group of #5 starters and and unbelievably inconsistent offense.
Gotta admit when you're wrong. Mookie was in fact not even close to being a borderline All Star

Reaction Score
Just curious how Betts is a "borderline all star"? Pretty sure every major league roster has a "Betts" on it.
tenor.gif

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom