Recruiting | The Boneyard

Recruiting

Status
Not open for further replies.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Here is the updated scholarship grid. Hopefully 2014 is a major class and we get some big time players. As always, let me know if there is a mistake. Haven't heard much on Austin Pope, but apparently we're a little interested, I'm sure 3uconn has more info.

Untitled-2_zpsfa211d5f.png

Reaction Score
How about we add Tommy Meyers in those walk on spots for 2014-17? I mean the kid averages over 20 rebounds a game and is tough. I know it's a HS team in CT but the kid obviously knows how to go get the ball.......him and Jordan Fuchs would be nice additions!!:)

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
How about we add Tommy Meyers in those walk on spots for 2014-17? I mean the kid averages over 20 rebounds a game and is tough. I know it's a HS team in CT but the kid obviously knows how to go get the ball.......him and Jordan Fuchs would be nice additions!!:)

I'll make a note of it for the next update. The site won't let me edit my original post.

Reaction Score
Bennie Boatwright '15. Few years down the road and will be challenge to bring him to East Coast but very talented.

Reaction Score
I think Ollie was watching him the last time out west

D

Deleted member 3149

I think it's safe to say Enosch will be off the scholly list . Unfortunately

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
Here is the updated scholarship grid. Hopefully 2014 is a major class and we get some big time players. As always, let me know if there is a mistake. Haven't heard much on Austin Pope, but apparently we're a little interested, I'm sure 3uconn has more info.

Untitled-2_zpsfa211d5f.png

nice job!

on a side note, this chart shows what i was talking about in another thread and got ripped for it. look at it and try to follow my dumb ass :D

-for 2013 the orginal plan was to recruit 4 kids with 3 of them being recruits that would play right away. we could have had 4 in the fall but some issues prevented it. so now we have 3 with 1 big who will play right away(facey) and another big who will get chuck minutes right away(briham) becuase of our depth issues.
-we still need 1 more recruit which we have shown will be a guard, we have a few in mind that were following but not many. besides that we have basically gone all in for 2014 recruiting. we are on a ton of kids lists and after a lot of kids.
-allen is on ship and his could be opened for another recruit or the staff can keep in on ship in a slot. its tbd. but if nothing else happened keeping him on ship and then using his for the 2014 class would have prob been the strategy it seems from how the staff was recruiting.
-but now with the wolf news and possible bazz leaving early that could open up 2 more ships. we can't leave those empty becuase our depth would be bad and considering thats the 2st year post ncaa issues we really need to rebuild quick. but where and how are we going to fill those? the staff now needs to regear to find more 2013 kids to recruit and fill slots.
-the 2013 class is pretty well picked over and its going to be tuff to find 1 more kid let alone 3 more. were in a tuff spot. no one wanta to send out flyers on garrison types, but we need players to fill a roster. very tuff spot all things considered.
-if we do fill those slots which i think we have to considering what our program looks like right now this then really hurts 2014. we would only then have 2 ships to fill in the 2014 class. maybe 3 with allen. thats a far cry form the 5 or 6 we thought we were going to load up with great prospects and make a ncaa run.

if wolf and bazz both dont come back, we will be in a very tuff spot. will be interesting to see how the staff decided to play it out and what happens.

Reaction Score

He's playing football....

Reaction Score
My wish list if we were to have 5 for 14': Dwayne Morgan, Okafor, Chukwu, Ahemed Hill, Jordan Mcglauglin.

If 4 because we get another guard: DM, Okafor, Chukwu, Ahmed Hill.

IDK though, I am honestly pumped I really do think Ollie is going to pull in a lot of good players.

Anyone else??

Reaction Score
He's playing football....
I've seen Tommy Meyers play he's not a D1 basketball player

#1 I know he's playing football so is Jordan Fuchs.....#2 I know he's not a division 1 basketball player but explain to me how many of the walk ons are? The kid got 33 & 30 the other night, you don't think he's tough enough to make practice tough on the 13 scholly guys? Not asking for minutes unless he deserves them, just asking for kids to compete in practice, hell Fuchs may be more........I don't care if he got 33 & 30 against the girls team, he can rebound......

Reaction Score
nice job!

on a side note, this chart shows what i was talking about in another thread and got ripped for it. look at it and try to follow my dumb ass :D

-for 2013 the orginal plan was to recruit 4 kids with 3 of them being recruits that would play right away. we could have had 4 in the fall but some issues prevented it. so now we have 3 with 1 big who will play right away(facey) and another big who will get chuck minutes right away(briham) becuase of our depth issues.
-we still need 1 more recruit which we have shown will be a guard, we have a few in mind that were following but not many. besides that we have basically gone all in for 2014 recruiting. we are on a ton of kids lists and after a lot of kids.
-allen is on ship and his could be opened for another recruit or the staff can keep in on ship in a slot. its tbd. but if nothing else happened keeping him on ship and then using his for the 2014 class would have prob been the strategy it seems from how the staff was recruiting.
-but now with the wolf news and possible bazz leaving early that could open up 2 more ships. we can't leave those empty becuase our depth would be bad and considering thats the 2st year post ncaa issues we really need to rebuild quick. but where and how are we going to fill those? the staff now needs to regear to find more 2013 kids to recruit and fill slots.
-the 2013 class is pretty well picked over and its going to be tuff to find 1 more kid let alone 3 more. were in a tuff spot. no one wanta to send out flyers on garrison types, but we need players to fill a roster. very tuff spot all things considered.
-if we do fill those slots which i think we have to considering what our program looks like right now this then really hurts 2014. we would only then have 2 ships to fill in the 2014 class. maybe 3 with allen. thats a far cry form the 5 or 6 we thought we were going to load up with great prospects and make a ncaa run.

if wolf and bazz both dont come back, we will be in a very tuff spot. will be interesting to see how the staff decided to play it out and what happens.

Giving away more 2013 scholarships to players who aren't that good doesn't help our depth. The coaching staff knows this.

C

Chief00

Unless our conference situation changes, this will be the last time we will be able to recruit before this reality really settles in for everyone. Warde threw away 2013 with the coaching uncertainty.
Jim Boeheim's cutting comment that Cuse's biggest rival used to be St. Bonnies and that your biggest rival is a team in your conference was unfortunately dead on. There should be much more urgency and less monitoring by Herbst and Manual.

Reaction Score
Unless our conference situation changes, this will be the last time we will be able to recruit before this reality really settles in for everyone. Warde threw away 2013 with the coaching uncertainty.
Jim Boeheim's cutting comment that Cuse's biggest rival used to be St. Bonnies and that your biggest rival is a team in your conference was unfortunately dead on. There should be much more urgency and less monitoring by Herbst and Manual.

in basketball, conference alignment doesn't matter if you are a big program. No one says "I'm going to UCLA to play in the pac 10/12" they go there because of tradition and/ or the really good education. If a program has tradition and a big fan base it doesn't matter what conference. Look at Memphis. The key is that almost all of the programs with tradition and a big fan base are in a major conference. We need to keep going to the games. Tradition + Ollie + practice facility = good recruiting

Reaction Score
What's the magic though? Why do Gonzaga, UNLV and Memphis continue to recruit?

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
Giving away more 2013 scholarships to players who aren't that good doesn't help our depth. The coaching staff knows this.

neither does leaving the slots open for a year coming off 3 years in a row where those slots were taken by the ncaa. you have to take risks and develope players. all 3 german players were risks for example that we are developing. there aren't good 2013 kids left that we have good groundwork on the trail with. its going to be hard to fill slots but 1-3 need to be filled depending on what happens.

if wolf leaves your bigs next year are olander as a sr, nolan and leon as soph and facey and brimah as frosh. thats walking a extremely tight line. if u start facey and olander at the 4/5 which would be best, u have a ruff bench to pick from. or u can play the we have no depth game like this year and start olander and back up with facey and then the others when needed. but then again your putting your best players at the wrong positions in the 1-2-3-4 and not helping them develope as much i a trade off of points/wins/best for the team strategy depth wise.

do we really want to leave 2 ships open going into next season? that would be like giving ourselves a ncaa 2 ship ban for good bahavior....we saw the effects of the 2 ships for 3 years. did we win it in 2010? sure. but that was kemba and a great cast. that team was short depth wise which was part of the overall unreal story. we could barely get kids to come here even with ko working so hard. it was a struggle to get ad to come here. we took germans out of nowhere. boat was a interesting add and dd was a late add becuase everyone else saw what we moan about now(he was in a img gym and couldnt add weight...).

after 3 years of ncaa stuff, we finally get to go back to full strenght and compete every night with a equal roster with other big boys and now
1) warde screwed that up recruiting wise between ko's contract and the admissions fall epsidode
2) some fans want us to hurt ourselves for another year

just amazing how crazy some of u are. please give me 1 real example of a team leaving a slot "open" ship wise for the enxt year becuase they couldn't land a stud prospect. thats not how you control your roster and its a pipe dream to think uconn is so dam good that we only need 10 ships while everyone else needs 13. just foolish.

the recent wolf events plus the threat of bazz leaving have made this staff hit the breaks on 2014 kids and now have to go back to 2013 kids. its a tuff development for them, its going to hurt us more than u think.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
My wish list if we were to have 5 for 14': Dwayne Morgan, Okafor, Chukwu, Ahemed Hill, Jordan Mcglauglin.

If 4 because we get another guard: DM, Okafor, Chukwu, Ahmed Hill.

IDK though, I am honestly pumped I really do think Ollie is going to pull in a lot of good players.

Anyone else??

i want all the best players also. but where are those slots???

i think people are happy with KO and so they are thinking big with winning and recruiting but they ar enot paying attention to whats going on...hopefully one this off season happens and ppl here see whats going on they will wake up to the crime that was committed this fall in storrs.

Reaction Score
i want all the best players also. but where are those slots???

i think people are happy with KO and so they are thinking big with winning and recruiting but they ar enot paying attention to whats going on...hopefully one this off season happens and ppl here see whats going on they will wake up to the crime that was committed this fall in storrs.

Dan, we will have 4 seniors next season and there's always the likelihood a player transfers or a guy like Boat goes pro. If we don't fill the remaining scholarship in the 13" class there is another one. We will have 4 scholarships at a minimum, but most likely 5 or 6 for 2014.

C

Chief00

in basketball, conference alignment doesn't matter if you are a big program. No one says "I'm going to UCLA to play in the pac 10/12" they go there because of tradition and/ or the really good education. If a program has tradition and a big fan base it doesn't matter what conference. Look at Memphis. The key is that almost all of the programs with tradition and a big fan base are in a major conference. We need to keep going to the games. Tradition + Ollie + practice facility = good recruiting
Playing in the Big East, the best MBB Conference in the country, has been a big part of UConn's recruiting pitch. Add the BE Championship at MSG and rivalries with CUSE, GT and more recently Ville.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
Dan, we will have 4 seniors next season and there's always the likelihood a player transfers or a guy like Boat goes pro. If we don't fill the remaining scholarship in the 13" class there is another one. We will have 4 scholarships at a minimum, but most likely 5 or 6 for 2014.

is this how u plan ahead in your daily life? look ahead a bit man. there is more than a random possibility that wolf doesn't come back and bazz goes pro leaving us with only 2 sr's on the roster next year.

Reaction Score
What's the magic though? Why do Gonzaga, UNLV and Memphis continue to recruit?

The nattering negative nabogs of this site are amazing.

We are NOT going to fall that far that preciptiously. The sad part is that ... what we knew (outstanding hoop through the winter) ... is gone. We will play a solid OOC and continue to challenge. We are NOT going to become Saint Bonaventure; we are a Flagship State U ... not is bumf2ck Ilion, NY.

Reaction Score
I understand what HFD is trying to say but all indication pointed to UConn trying to add ONE more guard just in case Napier opted for the NBA Draft. Now we are Facing uncertainty with Wolf, in which we don't know how the Staff will respond. Im under the belief that we will have about 4 avail but it's too soon to tell at this point.

Reaction Score
There are plenty of teams that don't use all 13 scholarships. If you have 13 guys and only 8 are good enough to play, you know what that leads too? Transfers and APR problems.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
There are plenty of teams that don't use all 13 scholarships. If you have 13 guys and only 8 are good enough to play, you know what that leads too? Transfers and APR problems.

who?

you deveope the other 5 becuase u brought them in to develope them, not waste space. we didn't bring the germans in for ice cream and cake. we brought them in becuase we had trouble filling spots and we thought we could deveople them. that hows things go in college bball. no one else is living the UK lifestyle and uconn surely doesn't need to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom