Recruiting | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Recruiting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
who?

you deveope the other 5 becuase u brought them in to develope them, not waste space. we didn't bring the germans in for ice cream and cake. we brought them in becuase we had trouble filling spots and we thought we could deveople them. that hows things go in college bball. no one else is living the UK lifestyle and uconn surely doesn't need to.

From a quick look at the rosters on espn.com, it looks like Syracuse has 9 scholarship players, Villanova has 10, Duke has 10, Providence has 11 including transfers sitting out this year, Louisville has 11....Want me to keep going?

Reaction Score
The nattering negative nabogs of this site are amazing.

We are NOT going to fall that far that preciptiously. The sad part is that ... what we knew (outstanding hoop through the winter) ... is gone. We will play a solid OOC and continue to challenge. We are NOT going to become Saint Bonaventure; we are a Flagship State U ... not is bumf2ck Ilion, NY.

Are you talking about me?

I didn't compare UConn to them. I asked, how do they do it. In case you didn't notice, Memphis added a lot of top talent a couple years ago. Roscoe left for UNLV, not to mention Anthony Bennett is the top player in the class and UConn lost him to UNLV. This doesn't mean UConn is going to fall very far. But it does mean no name schools like UNLV are attracting huge amounts of talent. That's what I was asking.

I guess I'll keep on doing what I'm doing, because I must be doing something right. Called a homer in one thread I started, now a nabo(B).

Reaction Score
#1 I know he's playing football so is Jordan Fuchs.....#2 I know he's not a division 1 basketball player but explain to me how many of the walk ons are? The kid got 33 & 30 the other night, you don't think he's tough enough to make practice tough on the 13 scholly guys? Not asking for minutes unless he deserves them, just asking for kids to compete in practice, hell Fuchs may be more........I don't care if he got 33 & 30 against the girls team, he can rebound......

You're acting like walking on is some sort of activity. This is D-1 athletics. A full time commitment. There aren't enough hours in the day to play football and basketball at this level. He also wouldn't get those numbers playing prep against D1 prospects so take these stats with a grain of salt. Great kid, but football is his sport. He could be on a pretty solid D2 team probably for hoops

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
From a quick look at the rosters on espn.com, it looks like Syracuse has 9 scholarship players, Villanova has 10, Duke has 10, Providence has 11 including transfers sitting out this year, Louisville has 11....Want me to keep going?

cuse has 9 ship players?????
southerland, coleman, christmas, triche, mcw, fair and grant. i can name off the top of my head. thats 7. keita and cooney is 9 i'm forgetting. then a quick search tells me gbinje is the duke tansfer kid, thats a 10th ship so i already know u are making things up.

nova has 10? arch, ochefu, brzoja, yacu, hillard, bell, pinkston, yaru, sutton. thats 9. johnson and kennedy i dont know what happened to. anyway, ennis transfering in from rice is #10. chenn is a transfer from wake thats 11. i'll stop again as your #'s are off again....

also your missing the point. we have played with 10 or 11 hips right now for 3 years in a row. those slots could have been kids developing which long run adds depth. becuase of that missing for a while, we need depoth asap and to develope it.

these schools amy only play 9 or 10 ships, but they are using the other ships for things. gets kids active thru rs or transfers or developement of some type. we can't aford that becuase we have no depth post ncaa ship reduction. chesus. those teams have 8 or 9 or 10 guys that play but all 10 are court worthy. they dont have leon, nolan, evans and allen types in 8-10 slots. those are the bottom kids or those slots are for transfer types etc.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
fwiw

fuchs- is 100% capable of walking on to uconn 2moro and starting at the 4. he was a big time bball recruit who chose fball dreams. if he does w/o to bball soph year like he wants to, he will be great deoth and get allen minutes in a snap when needed. may even crack the roatation. hes omar type play asap.

myers-kid gets a ton of boards. hes a huge d1 fball TE recruit lol. he plays for some smalls chool in upstate ct and his whole league is full of small schools i asume with a bunch of 6 foot 170 lb white kids. relax. hes would have trouble starting at a bunch of ll schools in the state let alone leading the league in boards. hes a great ath and hell of a fball player. thats it.

Reaction Score
How about we add Tommy Meyers in those walk on spots for 2014-17? I mean the kid averages over 20 rebounds a game and is tough. I know it's a HS team in CT but the kid obviously knows how to go get the ball.......him and Jordan Fuchs would be nice additions!!:)
Is he any relation to Tommy Meyers from New Britain who played football for Cuse and the Saints?

Reaction Score
fuchs- is 100% capable of walking on to uconn 2moro and starting at the 4. he was a big time bball recruit who chose fball dreams.

Slow down, he's a 6'6" PF with a 2/5 star rank with offers from Hofstra, Fordham, Dayton, BU, and a few others. He would not start over Deandre Daniels...

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Slow down, he's a 6'6" PF with a 2/5 star rank with offers from Hofstra, Fordham, Dayton, BU, and a few others. He would not start over Deandre Daniels...
You're not looking at the big picture. Jordan starts, sets a pick which hobbles the other teams starting 4. Then DD enters the game. No different then hockey! UConn needs an enforcer.

Reaction Score
The main reason why Im skeptical about adding depth/developing players is because of the recruits we are involved with in the 2014 class. Sure, you would want to fill all scholarships but would you rather take 2-3 more players in 2013 who prob would only see the floor at garbage time over the span of 2-3 years over some1 in 2014 who could make an immediate impact? I think we'll have enough depth in 2013 with 10 or 11 players ...

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score

he had major bball offers. florida, xavier, prov and dayton types off the top of my head. ist and ruty gave him the same bball option that uconn did btw. hes clearly a d1 bball player, jeff adrien type somewhat.

Reaction Score
cuse has 9 ship players?????
southerland, coleman, christmas, triche, mcw, fair and grant. i can name off the top of my head. thats 7. keita and cooney is 9 i'm forgetting. then a quick search tells me gbinje is the duke tansfer kid, thats a 10th ship so i already know u are making things up.

nova has 10? arch, ochefu, brzoja, yacu, hillard, bell, pinkston, yaru, sutton. thats 9. johnson and kennedy i dont know what happened to. anyway, ennis transfering in from rice is #10. chenn is a transfer from wake thats 11. i'll stop again as your #'s are off again....

also your missing the point. we have played with 10 or 11 hips right now for 3 years in a row. those slots could have been kids developing which long run adds depth. becuase of that missing for a while, we need depoth asap and to develope it.

these schools amy only play 9 or 10 ships, but they are using the other ships for things. gets kids active thru rs or transfers or developement of some type. we can't aford that becuase we have no depth post ncaa ship reduction. chesus. those teams have 8 or 9 or 10 guys that play but all 10 are court worthy. they dont have leon, nolan, evans and allen types in 8-10 slots. those are the bottom kids or those slots are for transfer types etc.

Sorry, Syracuse had 10 instead of 9, Nova may have 11 instead of 10, etc. Point still stands...they don't use all 13. And they're not alone.

Reaction Score
Playing in the Big East, the best MBB Conference in the country, has been a big part of UConn's recruiting pitch. Add the BE Championship at MSG and rivalries with CUSE, GT and more recently Ville.

My opinion is that conference affiliation for a big time program is very minor. You think Kentucky, UCLA, Florida, Kansas, Duke, North Carolina etc. are selling on their conference affiliation before tradition/ championships, practice facilities, NBA players, crazy fan bases/ atmosphere at games, academics, proximity to family/friends to see games etc.? Each team will play 1-2 big rivalry games each year that are televised and most of the others that get televised are early season tournaments, big time out of conference matchups, conference championship games, and the NCAA tournament. That is the vast majority of games that get prime time national exposure. So we get 1 game on national TV when we play Cincinnati, one when we play memphis, 1 in an early season tournament, 1 against a good random OOC matchup like michigan state this year, 1 against a previous rival like syracuse/pitt/louisville, 1 if we make the conference championship, and however many NCAA tournament games we play. I just don't see how conference affiliation has much to do with why a recruit would pick a school. I don't think it's a top 5 reason and probably not even a top 10 reason for most players. A team like Depaul or Providence has been selling conference affiliation with the big east. they should see a drop in recruiting now that they aren't with the UConn/ louisville/ syracuse type programs. It doesn't matter for big time programs. Just my opinion though

Reaction Score
Only 6 basketball programs have 3 or more National Championships and UConn is one of them. We have great tradition, a young superstar coach, and a 40 million dollar practice facility on the way. We will be right back in the conversation to win it all next year. You think Rutgers has an advantage over us being in the B1G? No it won't help them just ask BC. Programs with no results will never compete with us.

Horatio

I’m Heat Miser and your Rudolph…
Reaction Score
The main reason why Im skeptical about adding depth/developing players is because of the recruits we are involved with in the 2014 class. Sure, you would want to fill all scholarships but would you rather take 2-3 more players in 2013 who prob would only see the floor at garbage time over the span of 2-3 years over some1 in 2014 who could make an immediate impact? I think we'll have enough depth in 2013 with 10 or 11 players ...

we will start next season ranked in the top ten ,with our whole team back , the best guard trio in the nation + 3-4 additions. It's hard for me to believe that Jordan Fuchs is willing to sit out next season and miss that kind of run.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
It's hard for me to believe that Jordan Fuchs is willing to sit out next season and miss that kind of run.

He likely will redshirt in football so wouldn't be available to play hoops

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
There are plenty of teams that don't use all 13 scholarships. If you have 13 guys and only 8 are good enough to play, you know what that leads too? Transfers and APR problems.
True...Dook seems to do that most years.
Filling all the slots with players like Darius Smith were a major part of the APR problem.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
My opinion is that conference affiliation for a big time program is very minor. You think Kentucky, UCLA, Florida, Kansas, Duke, North Carolina etc. are selling on their conference affiliation before tradition/ championships, practice facilities, NBA players, crazy fan bases/ atmosphere at games, academics, proximity to family/friends to see games etc.? Each team will play 1-2 big rivalry games each year that are televised and most of the others that get televised are early season tournaments, big time out of conference matchups, conference championship games, and the NCAA tournament. That is the vast majority of games that get prime time national exposure. So we get 1 game on national TV when we play Cincinnati, one when we play memphis, 1 in an early season tournament, 1 against a good random OOC matchup like michigan state this year, 1 against a previous rival like syracuse/pitt/louisville, 1 if we make the conference championship, and however many NCAA tournament games we play. I just don't see how conference affiliation has much to do with why a recruit would pick a school. I don't think it's a top 5 reason and probably not even a top 10 reason for most players. A team like Depaul or Providence has been selling conference affiliation with the big east. they should see a drop in recruiting now that they aren't with the UConn/ louisville/ syracuse type programs. It doesn't matter for big time programs. Just my opinion though
ANY team that has won 3 NCs in past 15 years is going to attract attention. A bigger plus is KO with his NBA background/connections and he ca relate to the kids. Add in the fact that JC is still around, ther practice facility and UCONN's success in producing NBA guys.......... Shaka Smart is getting high calibre players and what the hell does VCU offer? Nothing more than George Mason. Butler is getting highly ranked players for being a bridemaid. URI has scored some hits the last 2 years and has 0 to offer - KO is three times the coach than Hurley, Temple always gets 1or2 great prospects yearly. Recruitment will be fine we just cannot fill scholorships just to fill them

Reaction Score
I said it before. Jimmy Bennett - 6'9" 310lbs.....and not the Oliver Miller variety....

Reaction Score
he had major bball offers. florida, xavier, prov and dayton types off the top of my head. ist and ruty gave him the same bball option that uconn did btw. hes clearly a d1 bball player, jeff adrien type somewhat.

He didn't get offers from Florida, Xavier, or Providence. He did from dayton and rutgers.

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/104890/jordan-fuchs

I didn't say he wasn't a d'1 player, I said that he wouldn't start for UConn....because he wouldn't lol

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
I forgot that you're his agent , my bad dude. Thanks for the insider

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics