Recruiting | The Boneyard

Recruiting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Per Rich Elliot's and Jim Fuller's blogs, GA will be attending A'ja Wilson's game on Tuesday and Shea Ralph attended Gabby Williams game this past Friday. Williams seems to be a new name on the Uconn recruiting list with plenty of competition from many major women's basketball programs.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Can Gabby Williams get Olympic medals in 2 sports?

I hope her injury is not severe. I am not sure how it might affect her high jumping, but I'm concerned. On the other hand, Sue Bird and Adrian Peterson have shown that world-class performance is possible on a surgically repaired knee.

Reaction Score
Can Gabby Williams get Olympic medals in 2 sports?

I hope her injury is not severe. I am not sure how it might affect her high jumping, but I'm concerned. On the other hand, Sue Bird and Adrian Peterson have shown that world-class performance is possible on a surgically repaired knee.

What injury?

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I recall reading about this a week or two back. Williams sort of came out of nowhere, at least as far as UCONN fans are concerned. She's #8 per HG and is a 5'11" guard from Nevada. I wonder if she's a contingency plan to Jordin Canada...

As was pointed out in another thread, UCONN went after 8 out of the top 10 kids in 2014. Caldwell chose UCLA and Ekmark chose UCONN. we are also after Wilson, Canada, Turner, Drummer, Williams and Calhoun. Pretty lofty list...

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
If healthy, Gabby wants to redshirt her sophomore year to focus on the Olympic high jump, so she's a combo 2014/2015: Into college in 2014, out in 2019.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
What injury?
Knee injury reported by Jim Fuller. I think it was early in the game that Shea was scouting. If anyone can comfort Gabby about the injury, it is SheaDog.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Knee injury reported by Jim Fuller. I think it was early in the game that Shea was scouting. If anyone can comfort Gabby about the injury, it is SheaDog.

I made comment in another thread that if I had Olympic aspirations in the high jump I would not be risking my knees with basketball. I would finish my track career and then focus on basketball.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
If healthy, Gabby wants to redshirt her sophomore year to focus on the Olympic high jump, so she's a combo 2014/2015: Into college in 2014, out in 2019.
If she wants to train for Olympics in T&F I don't think Uconn is a likely choice for college. Nothing wrong with Uconn T&F but there are some much better choices that have decent basketball as well.

Reaction Score
I saw a reference to Gabby Williams having suffered a complete acl tear and a meniscus tear along with it :-(

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I saw a reference to Gabby Williams having suffered a complete acl tear and a meniscus tear along with it :-(
Yep. The meniscus tear may be "only" partial, but that sounds nasty. Does that kill her Olympic dream?

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
She likes Skylar Diggins, Ivory Latta, and Recee Caldwell. She should watch Sue Bird, Renee Montgomery, and Moriah Jefferson.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Yep. The meniscus tear may be "only" partial, but that sounds nasty. Does that kill her Olympic dream?

I saw that article, too, very disappointed for her.

If on the high jump she approaches from the right, her plant leg would be her left leg. The injury is to the right knee. Maybe this will make it somewhat easier for her..? I sure hope so. Having the right leg's power at less than 100% certainly won't help matters but at least it seems the left leg would be more critical with a right-side approach.

And in any event, the Olympics are a few years off, as well as trials, qualifying for the trials, etc. With luck she will still get back in the swing of things in time to accomplish her dream.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score

RoyDodger

Retired in the Southwest
Reaction Score
Westbeld

Thanks. I see that HoopGurlz has Westbeld ranked #31 for the class of 2014 and a teammate at Fairmont HS, Makayla Waterman, is ranked right above her. Interesting.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Thanks for posting. Point taken.
I was careful to say that there were better options and not that Uconn wasn't a valid option. If Olympic T&F is the driving force in her decision, I think even given the above links, Uconn is at a disadvantage. (If Olympic BB is the driving force then Uconn goes to the top of the class!)

Reaction Score
JimFullers blog of Sat. 1/26/12 has a lot of information about recruiting. He says that in addition to Ekmark, Uconn would want two more perimeter players and two "big kids" in the class of 2014.A'Ja Wilson is the top recruit. She will make her decision after the AAU summer season. Fuller questions whether Wilson will opt out of playing in South Carolina. GA likes Sierra Calhoun's game and indicates she will be offered a scholarship and Fuller thinks she will verbal to Uconn based on her father's statements. Fuller wonders whether Gabby Williams would be willing to come to Uconn given her focus on participating in the Olympic high jump. He does mention a precedent for a highly skilled track and field athelete attending Uconn. He also thinks it is unlikely that Canada and Turner will choose Uconn given their list of schools.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom