Recruiting Transfers - March | Page 24 | The Boneyard

Recruiting Transfers - March

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Tre Mann was great though. White just seems to be falling out of favor there with the fans and I think the vibe of the program isn’t great right now. But it’s weird because I do think he’s a good coach. If Johnson didn’t have his health issue this year things would have been much prettier. I think we’ve seen first hand how things go south quickly once a few bounces go the wrong way.
I follow them a bit because of friends from Florida who believe every coach and player they have is the best. It killed them when we beat them in the FF and I know that because I'm still waiting for the congratulatory call.
Their coach has shown the ability to recruit multiple five and four star guys (Lewis and Nembhard, Payne and Mann, plus Lane and others) but they don't seem to perform for him as well as the unheralded transfers he brings in. Castleton this year for example.
Lewis was supposed to pair with Nembhard and win it all for them but he's playing limited minutes. Hope he enters the portal and DH makes a star out of him.

Reaction Score
Tripp just followed on Twitter
Gurley fits the big shooter mold. Bonus he defends the rim a little bit. He's firmly in the 2nd tier of guys on my list (behind the Grady/Jones/Groves high demand tier). Statistically, his game reminds me of Horchler from Providence. I'm in as a depth piece.

Reaction Score
Gurley fits the big shooter mold. Bonus he defends the rim a little bit. He's firmly in the 2nd tier of guys on my list (behind the Grady/Jones/Groves high demand tier). Statistically, his game reminds me of Horchler from Providence. I'm in as a depth piece.
Like Horchler's BB IQ.. Always seems to be in the right place making smart plays-Valuable guy to have on the floor.

Reaction Score
Nysier Brooks just hit the portal.

IMO, he's a perfect target as a guy to play the Josh Carlton role next season.

7'0 240, still played consistent ball last year despite moving from the AAC to the ACC: 7.4p, 5.8r, 1b, 51.7 fg% in 27.4 mpg. From what I remember from him, he works his butt off and has great body language on the floor and on the bench, my guess he's a good teammate. @kobe, a scouting report please?

He's probably going to go somewhere with the bigger need for the 5 spot, but I'd definitely take him on our squad.

For the Josh Carlton spot, we're probably more likely to get a mid-major big looking for an opportunity to play at a higher level program, kinda like when Kelvin Jones signed with Creighton. PT wasn't assumed, but when needed, Jones stepped up and played some important minutes at the 5 once injuries occurred.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Also just saw John Bol Ajak from Syracuse just entered the portal. He barely played this season at Cuse. Don’t think there’s any need for him with Samson Johnson coming in and Akok hopefully healthy by then. I do think the length could help if Polley/Whaley leave, but judging by the minutes he played at Cuse I don’t think he would play much of a role.

Reaction Score
for whom? this is the best thing for the players.

I'm going to side with the players at the expense of the NCAA on almost any issue but this is out of control. If you're a low-major and you go on a tournament run your better players are basically auditioning for a better gig at another school the following year. If you're at a major you're dealing with other programs looking to poach guys on one year loaners to fill specific needs? How do teams operate in this context?

Coaching change or some sort of legitimate extenuating circumstance should be the exceptions to the sit a year rule, in my opinion.

Reaction Score
Also just saw John Bol Ajak from Syracuse just entered the portal. He barely played this season at Cuse. Don’t think there’s any need for him with Samson Johnson coming in and Akok hopefully healthy by then. I do think the length could help if Polley/Whaley leave, but judging by the minutes he played at Cuse I don’t think he would play much of a role.
Also Syracuse forward Robert Braswell has entered. Don’t know much about either player.

krinklecut

Class of '11
Reaction Score
I'm going to side with the players at the expense of the NCAA on almost any issue but this is out of control. If you're a low-major and you go on a tournament run your better players are basically auditioning for a better gig at another school the following year. If you're at a major you're dealing with other programs looking to poach guys on one year loaners to fill specific needs? How do teams operate in this context?

Coaching change or some sort of legitimate extenuating circumstance should be the exceptions to the sit a year rule, in my opinion.
everything you described is best for the players at the expense of the NCAA.

if I'm a player on a low-major that makes a run and it gives me to opportunity to transfer to a mid- or high-major how is that not best for me? yeah, maybe it makes it harder for teams to operate - oh well?

krinklecut

Class of '11
Reaction Score

if I'm a player on a low-major that makes a run and it gives me to opportunity to transfer to a mid- or high-major how is that not best for me? yeah, maybe it makes it harder for teams to operate - oh well?
just continuing my thought to go a step further and say, unless they're getting paid and have actual contracts, I think the players should be able to do whatever the hell they want when it comes to transferring. Limit what people making paychecks (e.g. coaches) can do (e.g. when they can reach out to players). Unpaid athletes should be able to do whatever is in their best interest. Let them transfer 3 times in 4 years if it's best for them.

Reaction Score

Yeah that's why I said "almost" any issue. This is an unsustainable system. We're just not going to agree on this, and I suspect the proponents will stop being proponents when it affects the team you root for.

Reaction Score

6'7". 40% 3pt shooter on 4 attempts per game. Seems like a role player from his usage stats, but scored in double figures in both of Colorado's tournament games (5-7 from 3 against GTown). TO rate and 2pt finishing not incredible, but he's a big shooter.

krinklecut

Class of '11
Reaction Score
Yeah that's why I said "almost" any issue. This is an unsustainable system. We're just not going to agree on this, and I suspect the proponents will stop be proponents when it affects the team you root for.
yeah you're probably right. if everyone on uconn took advantage of this and it tanked the program, but it was in the best interest of all the players, i don't see any world where I'm against it, though. Disappointed as a fan, sure, but I'm not so self important to think that my fandom is more important than these kids' lives.

In terms of sustainability, I'd wanna see a few more years. Especially after a few normal seasons.

Reaction Score
If it's not possible to have college basketball without being unfair to the players, then maybe that's wrong and it's okay for it to change.

Reaction Score
FWIW, a text just in from my friend who is a Davidson alum:

Schools on Kellan early are Kentucky, Gonzaga, Villanova and Virginia. (post from a friend with Davidson insider info on Grady's transfer plans).
I guess I trust this "Davidson insider"

Reaction Score

6'7". 40% 3pt shooter on 4 attempts per game. Seems like a role player from his usage stats, but scored in double figures in both of Colorado's tournament games (5-7 from 3 against GTown). TO rate and 2pt finishing not incredible, but he's a big shooter.

I went to Colorado and have seen most of Schwartz’s games. He’s a 3 year starter and a better version of JA on a very good team. Not an elite defender but puts in the effort and is an effective 3 pt shooter. He was recruited by KO’s staff previously but is likely heading to George Mason to play for former CU assistant Kim English. Btw... their center Dallas Walton is a great fit as well to backup Sanogo but is likely also heading to Mason.

Reaction Score
what does that mean? what is "college basketball"? is it the people who collect paychecks or the people that don't?
What is college basketball? What kind of question is that?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom