Recruiting Transfers - April | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Recruiting Transfers - April

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
True, but there are so many spots available with Martin/Verge/Woods graduating and Christopher likely hitting the NBA and others tranferring.

Jackson gets immediate PT with OSU's Luther Muhammad and BC's Jay Heath as his backcourt mates.
Absolutely. They really needed all the help they could get after the underperformance this year and a few contributors leaving/likely leaving. I’m sure Bobby Hurley was preaching the fact that they would get a ton of PT right away to these guys. Either way, a few good pick ups so far.

Reaction Score
We have a really solid nucleus returning. Super strong at the 4/5 with Sanogo, Whaley, Akok, Springs and Johnson.

I think Martin/Cole are best served as 4th/5th options or super subs. Cole struggles against top competition. He would be an amazing John Gwynn off the bench.

I worry that Hurley is really loyal to some under-talented but "his guys" and we just go in with what we had. Or even if we add pieces, they aren't the Richmond/Locke upgrade types.

I think loyalty is a great trait but in college basketball, you need to have a little mercenary too. Calhoun recruited over guys all the time, may the best man win. I remember being so excited when we got Marcus White out of Chicago. A year later, we had Boone and CV.

We're gonna score 50-60 ppg with this roster next year against good teams. No one can create a shot at guard. Our freshman will have to save us, and maybe they can - as it's a great class on paper. But that's rarely a great strategy heading into a season.

The poop that some BY'ers try to fabricate to support their narratives & beliefs are amazing.

Hurley was (and still is) intensely loyal to Brendan Adams as his first "real" UConn recruit.

Here's his minutes in the last games from February onwards as Dre & then Bouk came back from injuries and shook the rust off:

2/6 - SH - started - 16 min
2/10 - Providence - didn't start - 13 min
2/13 - Xavier - DNP
2/16 - Providence (Bouk returns) - DNP
2/20 - Nova - DNP
2/23 - GTown - DNP
2/27 - Marquette - (a blowout) - DNP
3/3 - SH - DNP
3/6 - GTown - Senior Day & an annihilation - 4min in garbage time
3/11 - Depaul - BE Tourney - annihilation - 10 min in garbage time
3/12 - Creighton - DNP
3/20 - Maryland - DNP

Looks like loyalty getting in the way of fielding the best lineup to me...

I Bet GIF by chuber channel

Reaction Score
I've been preaching this need all off season and told to just be patient. I fear Hurley just isnt a transfer guy and we won't add anyone of significance. If that happens i'll be disappointed. We need to be going for it imo
He's been trying. We've reached out to most of the names we wanted to reach out to.

The fact is we're returning 4 starters and the 5th starting spot has a direct replacement with a top 50 freshman 2-guard. The right veteran 2-guard won't be scared off, but we're returning a rising senior PG, a senior wing, a 5th year PF, and an all-rookie big east team center. Not to mention in addition to the top 50 2-guard, off the bench we've got a top 50 freshman pg, a junior CG with 15 career starts in 2 years, a top 50 sophomore wing, a top 100 freshman big, and a top 100 "junior" big. That's a really freakin solid 10 with not a ton of paths to immediate playing time. Plus maybe Polley.

Reaction Score
we had 3 transfers on the team this year how many more did you want? he's added 1 each year he's been here so far in BA, cole, and martin.
Martin, Cole and...?

Brown doesn't count.

Edit: It looks like you edited your original post before I submitted my reply. I didn't know BAdams was a transfer. I thought he was a decommit, but his freshman year was at UConn.

Reaction Score
we had 3 transfers on the team this year how many more did you want? he's added a transfer each year he's been here so far in adams, cole, and martin.

We haven't ever gotten a transfer that Hurley hadn't recruited himself or had a relationship with his family.

Our next step to elevate recruiting will be reeling in some of these high level transfers. It is a necessity in the current landscape to maximize our competitiveness

Reaction Score
We haven't ever gotten a transfer that Hurley hadn't recruited himself or had a relationship with his family.

Our next step to elevate recruiting will be reeling in some of these high level transfers. It is a necessity in the current landscape to maximize our competitiveness
yes true. i think/hope there will usually be options among transfers he initially recruited. if he had gotten kadary or jabari* on the second go around all would be right with the world.

recruiting transfers just seems like a totally different game compared to recruiting high schoolers, requiring the opposite approach that he normally takes i.e. zeroing in on a couple guys, going to their games, gradually building relationships with them and their families and coaches yada yada yada. making each of them feel like priority #1.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Martin, Cole and...?

Brown doesn't count.

Edit: It looks like you edited your original post before I submitted my reply. I didn't know BAdams was a transfer. I thought he was a decommit, but his freshman year was at UConn.
You're correct, Adams was not a transfer. De-committed from URI and committed to UConn once Hurley was hired.

Reaction Score
Hurley himself has said he isn’t a transfer guy. Stop

Reaction Score
I don't believe that's a thing. If you really want to see everyone's posts, just log out of the board and check it that way.
It is a thing, I know because there's a bunch of people's posts I can't see because they have me on ignore for some reason

61D6D21B-20EA-4EF8-8465-92931ADDD6FA.jpeg

Reaction Score
yes true. i think/hope there will usually be options among transfers he initially recruited. if he had gotten kadary or jabari* on the second go around all would be right with the world.

recruiting transfers just seems like a totally different game compared to recruiting high schoolers, requiring the opposite approach that he normally takes i.e. zeroing in on a couple guys, going to their games, gradually building relationships with them and their families and coaches yada yada yada. making each of them feel like priority #1.

Different skillset in transfer recruiting for sure. I'm sure the staff will adapt... hopefully sooner rather than later.

Reaction Score
And then immediately said we'd take 1-2 transfers this year, it's way too early to worry about him not improving the roster

Reaction Score
And then immediately said we'd take 1-2 transfers this year, it's way too early to worry about him not improving the roster
It’s not way too early. Sure we’ll get “a transfer”. But at this point I have no faith it’ll be an impact one. And that’s exactly what we need. An impact transfer

Reaction Score
Transfers have had major contributions on Hurley’s most successful teams. Also, it’s just internet tough talk to act like no one gets to complain about their role and beat it if you don’t want competition. You think Samson hasn’t gotten a lot of their time since Whaley said he’s coming back? (you would be wrong if you think that) If you think you have a really special player in someone lIke Hawkins, you work really hard to maintain that relationship. The guys that have been here know the deal. Hurley watched Rhode Island have to bring in over half their roster because of transfers and unsuccessful recruiting. THAT’s the level of transfer action he doesn’t want.

Reaction Score
He said that he doesn't see us as a school who relies on transfers/builds their roster focused on transfers. Doesn't mean we shouldn't expect 1-2 a year based on the current climate. The vast majority of our roster will still be guys we recruit out of high school, but I think we'll more than likely bring in at least 1 transfer each spring to fill a hole.

Reaction Score
Idk what the balance is, so I won’t pretend to have the answer. But we need an influx of perimeter offensive talent. And I just don’t know where that’s coming from. Guys are falling off the board. We need to get our next target, or I fear next season will be good but not the step we all want

Reaction Score
Transfers have had major contributions on Hurley’s most successful teams. Also, it’s just internet tough talk to act like no one gets to complain about their role and beat it if you don’t want competition. You think Samson hasn’t gotten a lot of their time since Whaley said he’s coming back? (you would be wrong if you think that) If you think you have a really special player in someone lIke Hawkins, you work really hard to maintain that relationship. The guys that have been here know the deal. Hurley watched Rhode Island have to bring in over half their roster because of transfers and unsuccessful recruiting. THAT’s the level of transfer action he doesn’t want.

Do you know id staff thinks Hawkins is immediate impact, 2 and done potentially?

I think he's the one freshman that could start. The kid is a brilliant player

Reaction Score
It’s not way too early. Sure we’ll get “a transfer”. But at this point I have no faith it’ll be an impact one. And that’s exactly what we need. An impact transfer
We'll just have to agree to disagree on way too early. There's like 900 kids still in the portal and more coming every day, and if so many are falling off the board as you say that means less competition for the guys who are entering

Reaction Score
Idk what the balance is, so I won’t pretend to have the answer. But we need an influx of perimeter offensive talent. And I just don’t know where that’s coming from. Guys are falling off the board. We need to get our next target, or I fear next season will be good but not the step we all want
Not sure what you're expecting but my guess is we're probably only bringing in 1 transfer, it isn't the easiest thing convincing kids to join a roster that's already pretty stacked.

Reaction Score
I didn't see any mention of John Meeks from Bucknell. Only played 6 games last year for Bucknell.

25.3 PPG, 6.8 RPG, 38% 3PT

I haven't seen him play but the numbers look good and has good size at 6'6" 224.

Reaction Score
Not sure what you're expecting but my guess is we're probably only bringing in 1 transfer, it isn't the easiest thing convincing kids to join a roster that's already pretty stacked.
I think we’re stacked with players who have redundant skill sets. I think we needed a high level lead guard and a high level shooter. Swinging and missing on Kadary and not even wanting Fatts will prove to be a mistake IMO. Again I expect us to be good next season. I just think with a couple of impact additions we could be final 4 good

Curiouser
Reaction Score
It's weird you think we are too stacked at guard now to bring in other players.

Reaction Score
I think we’re stacked with players who have redundant skill sets. I think we needed a high level lead guard and a high level shooter. Swinging and missing on Kadary and not even wanting Fatts will prove to be a mistake IMO. Again I expect us to be good next season. I just think with a couple of impact additions we could be final 4 good
I hear you but Hurley didn't see the fit with Fatts, I wish we got Kadary but still happy he picked the Hall. Our frontcourt is stacked and we don't need anything there, we could be in some trouble at guard if we don't see player improvement but I expect significant jumps from Jackson and Gaffney. Hawkins is a stud and will be hard to keep off the court. Diggins is a natural point guard leader, not sure how ready he'll be right away but he'll make us better. Another guard who can score off the bounce and is good from deep would be a major help along with Polley coming back.

Reaction Score
It’s early April, the roster is stabilized, and they have flexibility to add a few players if they want to. Chalk me up as some one who isn’t all that concerned right now. There are a ton of transfers out there that fit the mold of what this team needs that can add to the existing core of guys. They’ll be fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom