Recruiting review | The Boneyard

Recruiting review

Reaction Score
I know we are not the type of program that gets all the 4*/5* kids like KY, Duke, NC, Kansas, etc. We need complimentary recruits, to fill a roster, which in part is complex, necessary, and does fill a certain need. However, what is problematic, is what these 3* kids have brought to the program. I'll let you decide on a potential answer. Are we just not good enough, and have to settle, or does the focus have to change for the present and future?

These recruiting rankings come from Rivals. The following is a list of all Uconn basketball recruits that were 3* when they signed, beginning with the 2003 class, to the present:

Diarra
Vitale
Lubin transfer
Cassell transfer
Samuel transfer
Brimah
Nolan
Bradley transfer?
Olander
Trice transfer
Okwandu
Haralson transfer
Beverly
Edwards
Eaves transfer
Mandolove
Austrie
Garrison transfer
Kellogg transfer
Thompson transfer

That is a total of 20 kids since 2003. There were 10 or 50% that transferred out. There are 2 that have yet to be determined, Diarra, and Vitale, so in effect, 10 of 18.

The remaining 8 show little if any contribution from:

Nolan
Beverly
Mandelove

That leaves 5 of the 18 which are:

Brimah - contributing career, perhaps disappointing to more than satisfied with his 4 yrs
Olander - a contributor, some issues along the way
Edwards - decent career, contributed
Austrie - contributed, not horrible
Okwandu - not much

Not sure how this can be improved upon, but it does hurt looking at the reality.

Reaction Score
Olander has 2 NCs and was a starter for 1 of them. Chuck was a starter for a NC and has the greatest post game interview in uconn history, and Nolan was a starter on a NC and played some awesome defense

What a bunch of bums

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Olander has 2 NCs and was a starter for 1 of them. Chuck was a starter for a NC and has the greatest post game interview in uconn history, and Nolan was a starter on a NC and played some awesome defense

What a bunch of bums
What? No love for TSam or AB?

Reaction Score

What a bunch of bums

there are a lot of bad players with championships, and a lot of good ones without one, I guess I'm missing the boat, pick any 10 of those players and how many national championships do you win? How many .500 seasons do you have? I'm starting to understand this place, didn't take long. Some are pure isolationists, and disagree because they simply don't extract the body of the post, just a fragment, to spin their own incompetence. I will refrain from commenting on these posters in the future, as they bring nothing to the table.

Reaction Score
there are a lot of bad players with championships, and a lot of good ones without one, I guess I'm missing the boat, pick any 10 of those players and how many national championships do you win? How many .500 seasons do you have? I'm starting to understand this place, didn't take long. Some are pure isolationists, and disagree because they simply don't extract the body of the post, just a fragment, to spin their own incompetence. I will refrain from commenting on these posters in the future, as they bring nothing to the table.
Basketball is a team sport. With rare exceptions (see kemba and bazz) it takes the sum of the parts to create a winning team. No one is arguing that that list is full of world beaters, but a good percentage of them played their role well enough to enhance a group of players to the point where they accomplished some pretty impressive things

Reaction Score
What? No love for TSam or AB?
Damn how could I leave out those 2?! Brimah with the St Joe's 3 pt play and tSam tearing up nova en route to some more hardware in the uconn trophy case

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Funny thing is that I thought your op fit the description of bringing nothing to the table.

Reaction Score
I agree. 4-5 star guys usually perform at a high level. The 3 star and below guys are huge ifs.

Some work out, many don't. The interesting thing is there has only been 1 non top 100 guy to ever average double digits at UConn in the last 25+ years, Edwards on a terrible team.

Thus, the excitement t over Carlton is almost silly. Not even top 200.

I know we are not the type of program that gets all the 4*/5* kids like KY, Duke, NC, Kansas, etc. We need complimentary recruits, to fill a roster, which in part is complex, necessary, and does fill a certain need. However, what is problematic, is what these 3* kids have brought to the program. I'll let you decide on a potential answer. Are we just not good enough, and have to settle, or does the focus have to change for the present and future?

These recruiting rankings come from Rivals. The following is a list of all Uconn basketball recruits that were 3* when they signed, beginning with the 2003 class, to the present:

Diarra
Vitale
Lubin transfer
Cassell transfer
Samuel transfer
Brimah
Nolan
Bradley transfer?
Olander
Trice transfer
Okwandu
Haralson transfer
Beverly
Edwards
Eaves transfer
Mandolove
Austrie
Garrison transfer
Kellogg transfer
Thompson transfer

That is a total of 20 kids since 2003. There were 10 or 50% that transferred out. There are 2 that have yet to be determined, Diarra, and Vitale, so in effect, 10 of 18.

Nolan
Beverly
Mandelove

Brimah - contributing career, perhaps disappointing to more than satisfied with his 4 yrs
Okwandu - not much

Not sure how this can be improved upon, but it does hurt looking at the reality.

Reaction Score

Diarra
Vitale
Lubin transfer
Cassell transfer
Samuel transfer
Brimah
Nolan
Bradley transfer?
Olander
Trice transfer
Okwandu
Haralson transfer
Beverly
Edwards
Eaves transfer
Mandolove
Austrie
Garrison transfer
Kellogg transfer
Thompson transfer

Nolan
Beverly
Mandelove

Okwandu - not much

Forgot kelly

Reaction Score
I agree. 4-5 star guys usually perform at a high level. The 3 star and below guys are huge ifs.

Some work out, many don't. The interesting thing is there has only been 1 non top 100 guy to ever average double digits at UConn in the last 25+ years, Edwards on a terrible team.

Reaction Score
Everyone going bonkers over Harris who is #166, really?
125 composite and 85th on 247 after a big senior year. Very efficient EYBL season last summer. Has the size to play both guard positions. He'd be a very good add.

Reaction Score

There have been a number of UConn players who scored in double digits in the past 25 years that were not top 4 or 5 star recruits in high school:

Doron Sheffer 3x
Rod Sellers
Johnny Selvie 2x
Hasheem Thabeet 2x (wasn't a consensus recruit due to moving to US)
Hilton Armstrong (OK, it was 9.7)
Marcus White (Injured at UConn, but got to double digits at Purdue)
Gavin Edwards
Shonn Miller (grad transfer, but not a 4 or 5*)

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
@Russ, every poster takes their lumps on the BY so no need to get worked up about it. I'm relatively new and it took me over a hundred posts until BigErn threw shade my way. So you've got a ways to go. Fleud is just sparring with you. You can take your ball and go home but I'd suggest you go with ten toes in.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom