Recruiting Problems?? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Recruiting Problems??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Why can't Ollie recruit? How do we get beat out by VCU and UNLV? Its absurd. If we don't get Diamond Stone it looks like recruiting is going to be a problem for a very long time. One top 50 recruit per season won't cut it anymore. UNLV has been gettings MCD's AA's year after year!

Next.........post

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Maybe I'm the crazy one and the people ripping the guy got his post... but I'd be shocked if the op wasn't 100% sarcasm.

Reaction Score
I just don't get how everyone is so confident that we get Stone next week. Everything I've read is trending otherwise.
Really? Not disagreeing with you or inciting a fight, but the majority of stuff I've read the past few days have discussed UConn being in the drivers seat, and simply needing to hold on for the final stretch. Plus, those Crystal Ball guys change their picks at the slightest drop of info; and we still lead by a healthy margin. (Disclaimer i don't put complete trust in the Crystal Ball but it would be illogical to totally dismiss it. They are right ~70% of the time)

Reaction Score
Really? Not disagreeing with you or inciting a fight, but the majority of stuff I've read the past few days have discussed UConn being in the drivers seat, and simply needing to hold on for the final stretch. Plus, those Crystal Ball guys change their picks at the slightest drop of info; and we still lead by a healthy margin. (Disclaimer i don't put complete trust in the Crystal Ball but it would be illogical to totally dismiss it. They are right ~70% of the time)
I'm hoping you're right, but I also put no stock into the crystal ball guys. They have no accountability and have switched their picks minutes before a decision in the past. To me, they're like NFL mock drafts - fun to look at, but I give them no credibility.

Reaction Score
This is a ridiculous post. The recruiting class of Adams, Enoch and likely Stone is one of UConn's best ever.
I am really not sure where you came up with the "likely Stone" but I would say its more like 70/30 split he is going to Wisconsin.

Dynasty

Never not member
Reaction Score
I think the strategy was more troubling than anything else. Losing Ali was a shame and I have to think that was somewhat based on the fact that we had targeted many other players who played the same position, even after he had signed. I also think it was strange to go 100% all in on Mack, when we didn't even offer him until September. We started out way too far behind and were never able to catch up, and I wish that we had expended all the energy on Jones, a guy we were in on very early.

Exactly. KO's recruiting strategy needs improvement. He can't be all over the place in future recruiting classes.

Reaction Score
That's my one complaint in regards to the wings. If everything is on the up and up with Jones, I would've rather the staff just hone in on him instead of dipping out on his recruitment. Going all in on Mack and trying to get him after 2 months of recruiting when you had all the southern schools after him for over a year(except SC) was just crazy to me.

I think the strategy was more troubling than anything else. Losing Ali was a shame and I have to think that was somewhat based on the fact that we had targeted many other players who played the same position, even after he had signed. I also think it was strange to go 100% all in on Mack, when we didn't even offer him until September. We started out way too far behind and were never able to catch up, and I wish that we had expended all the energy on Jones, a guy we were in on very early.

All this said, a Stone commitment makes this class amazing. There will also be plenty of spring options with decommits and late bloomers. I just wish we had wrapped everything up earlier so that the staff could focus on the 2016 class.

Reaction Score
Everything is fine, but at some point KO has to bring warm bodies into the program. Having 12-13 true scholarship players is extremely important to keep improving over the course of a season. It's very difficult when you can't practice against division 1 players.

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
I got 99 problems but a bitch ain't one...recruiting might be?

Reaction Score
That's my one complaint in regards to the wings. If everything is on the up and up with Jones, I would've rather the staff just hone in on him instead of dipping out on his recruitment. Going all in on Mack and trying to get him after 2 months of recruiting when you had all the southern schools after him for over a year(except SC) was just crazy to me.

It seems like we didn't go "all-in" on Mack until the very end. One of Mack's quotes after committing to VCU was that Smart "believed in him" from the start. Clarke also said after his Tenn visit that it was clear that "they (Tenn) really wanted me." This implies that they didn't like that we were recruiting 2 other wings at the same time. There was also rumors on the VCU board at one point that we were asking Mack to hold off on a commitment until Clarke's commitment was made. Kind of connects to Mack's quote a little bit and how all of a sudden we were making up ground in the last week or so.

Reaction Score
Everything is fine, but at some point KO has to bring warm bodies into the program. Having 12-13 true scholarship players is extremely important to keep improving over the course of a season. It's very difficult when you can't practice against division 1 players.

They worked at the full alottment last year, they're short this year but you still have a 2 deep at every position(there's no way you can say there isn't a healthy competition at guard/wing), not really sure where you get the idea that they're not practicing against D1 players.

Reaction Score
It seems like we didn't go "all-in" on Mack until the very end. One of Mack's quotes after committing to VCU was that Smart "believed in him" from the start. Clarke also said after his Tenn visit that it was clear that "they (Tenn) really wanted me." This implies that they didn't like that we were recruiting 2 other wings at the same time. There was also rumors on the VCU board at one point that we were asking Mack to hold off on a commitment until Clarke's commitment was made. Kind of connects to Mack's quote a little bit and how all of a sudden we were making up ground in the last week or so.

The stuff from the VCU fans is nonsense, they were talking as if the staff was putting Mack on the backburner when based on the fact that they dipped out of Jones and Clarke's recruitment its clear that wasn't the case. They were going hard after him right after they offered him but trying to make up ground in 2 months against teams that had been recruiting him for a year was too much ground to make up.

Reaction Score
I think there may be some truth to this. KO seems to be excellent at building relationships, motivation, and getting people to believe in him. He has all the tools to be an excellent recruiter. The only criticism I can think of is that he cast his net too wide by offering too many recruits and should next time concentrate on fewer recruits. But then again this year may be a one-off crazy scenario.

Reaction Score
Bump!

This seems unnecessary (and a little strange). There were legitimate questions about recruiting at one point. Of course some people went off the deep end but this is the Boneyard - it's not going to be long before people are calling Diarra, Gilbert and [I'm drawing a blank on the new kid's name] better than anything Duke or UK has ever pulled in.

Just enjoy it. You're not making the point you think you are and even if you were you look childish.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
This seems unnecessary (and a little strange). There were legitimate questions about recruiting at one point. Of course some people went off the deep end but this is the Boneyard - it's not going to be long before people are calling Diarra, Gilbert and [I'm drawing a blank on the new kid's name] better than anything Duke or UK has ever pulled in.

Just enjoy it. You're not making the point you think you are and even if you were you look childish.

Great voice of reason post man....

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
I got 99 problems but a bitch ain't one...recruiting might be?

If you're having recruiting problems I feel bad for you son, I've got 99 problems but KO ain't one

Reactions: THC
Reaction Score
I think there may be some truth to this. KO seems to be excellent at building relationships, motivation, and getting people to believe in him. He has all the tools to be an excellent recruiter. The only criticism I can think of is that he cast his net too wide by offering too many recruits and should next time concentrate on fewer recruits. But then again this year may be a one-off crazy scenario.
I love this thread. I figure here's a good spot to chime in. Sure doesn't seem that casting a wide net hurt KO in the least. He tossed it out far and wide and has pulled in recruits all spring and summer long. I know I've mentioned my concern about the challenge our conference poses as far as recruiting is concerned, but KO and his staff have shown they've been able to overcome it. In addition to the 3 top tier transfers, he's built one heck of a 2016 class so far. I still would love to see us land Diallo and Gabriel. I think we still have a good shot at Diallo in 2017 and even in 2016 if he reclassifies, though JD seems a lot like Gabriel. I'm greedy. I'd love to have both. Those two on the floor at the same time would be big time match-up challenges for most teams. Place a big strong big between those two and that would be one tough front court on either end of the floor.

I think we have two ships left for 2016. I know we could use a big strong 5 though between Diarra and Enoch, we're probably fine at the 5 in a couple years. As long as you have a bunch of active talented long bigs, you can get away w/out having a big strong 7 footer, though it sure would be nice to have one in 2016 and beyond. A lot can happen between now and then. I'm all for filling those last two ships with the best talent possible and worry about a big later. I'm sure another ship will materialize that we're not aware of and we'll likely be find with who we have. It's not like we had dominating bigs in 2011 & 14 and our interior D was quite stout.

Reaction Score
I love this thread. I figure here's a good spot to chime in. Sure doesn't seem that casting a wide net hurt KO in the least. He tossed it out far and wide and has pulled in recruits all spring and summer long. I know I've mentioned my concern about the challenge our conference poses as far as recruiting is concerned, but KO and his staff have shown they've been able to overcome it. In addition to the 3 top tier transfers, he's built one heck of a 2016 class so far. I still would love to see us land Diallo and Gabriel. I think we still have a good shot at Diallo in 2017 and even in 2016 if he reclassifies, though JD seems a lot like Gabriel. I'm greedy. I'd love to have both. Those two on the floor at the same time would be big time match-up challenges for most teams. Place a big strong big between those two and that would be one tough front court on either end of the floor.

I think we have two ships left for 2016. I know we could use a big strong 5 though between Diarra and Enoch, we're probably fine at the 5 in a couple years. As long as you have a bunch of active talented long bigs, you can get away w/out having a big strong 7 footer, though it sure would be nice to have one in 2016 and beyond. A lot can happen between now and then. I'm all for filling those last two ships with the best talent possible and worry about a big later. I'm sure another ship will materialize that we're not aware of and we'll likely be find with who we have. It's not like we had dominating bigs in 2011 & 14 and our interior D was quite stout.
I would be really surprised if Hamidou Diallo goes somewhere else.

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
Ollie will be cutting down the nets in the near future and someone will post: why can't Ollie recruit? Count on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom