Recruiting Problems?? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Recruiting Problems??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I think getting Juwan Durham was a big win on someone injured now and currently (sort of) under the radar. This guy is a great investment, imo.

Ollie and UConn are still huge names in the sport. I miss you guys in conference. Louisville and UConn were a template on making one another better.

Reaction Score
I miss Louisville as well. It's a shame what happened to the Big East. Louisville, UCONN, Cuse, Pitt, Nova, Gtown, WVU, etc......we were on the verge of sinking Tobacco Road as the center of NCAA basketball.

Reaction Score
I love this thread. I figure here's a good spot to chime in. Sure doesn't seem that casting a wide net hurt KO in the least. He tossed it out far and wide and has pulled in recruits all spring and summer long. I know I've mentioned my concern about the challenge our conference poses as far as recruiting is concerned, but KO and his staff have shown they've been able to overcome it. In addition to the 3 top tier transfers, he's built one heck of a 2016 class so far. I still would love to see us land Diallo and Gabriel. I think we still have a good shot at Diallo in 2017 and even in 2016 if he reclassifies, though JD seems a lot like Gabriel. I'm greedy. I'd love to have both. Those two on the floor at the same time would be big time match-up challenges for most teams. Place a big strong big between those two and that would be one tough front court on either end of the floor.

I think we have two ships left for 2016. I know we could use a big strong 5 though between Diarra and Enoch, we're probably fine at the 5 in a couple years. As long as you have a bunch of active talented long bigs, you can get away w/out having a big strong 7 footer, though it sure would be nice to have one in 2016 and beyond. A lot can happen between now and then. I'm all for filling those last two ships with the best talent possible and worry about a big later. I'm sure another ship will materialize that we're not aware of and we'll likely be find with who we have. It's not like we had dominating bigs in 2011 & 14 and our interior D was quite stout.
Is there any objective data to determine how big a net KO has cast? It seems to me he offered fewer scholarships this year than last year. Again this is just my perception but I wonder if there is an authoritative source to determine if this is this the case.

I checked 247
- It has UCONN offering 24 players in 2016
- Uconn offered 49 players in 2015

This is not perfect because it doesn't tell me what time period they were offered. This is just a discussion not a game of talking trash or one-upmanship. Obviously something changed from last year to this year. I think there is evidence that Ollie choose to focus on a fewer players this year. That maybe the variable that changed from last year to this and led to this season's great success.

Source:
Get rid of spaces
http://connecticut. 247spor ts.com/ Season/ 2016-Basketball/Offers

Dynasty

Never not member
Reaction Score
Is there any objective data to determine how big a net KO has cast? It seems to me he offered fewer scholarships this year than last year. Again this is just my perception but I wonder if there is an authoritative source to determine if this is this the case.

I checked 247

This is not perfect because it doesn't tell me what time period they were offered. This is just a discussion not a game of talking trash or one-upmanship. Obviously something changed from last year to this year. I think there is evidence that Ollie choose to focus on a fewer players this year. That maybe the variable that changed from last year to this and led to this season's great success.

Source:
Get rid of spaces

That offers list isn't 100% accurate. There are a few more offers than that.

Reaction Score

Source:
Get rid of spaces
I'm out then

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score

I checked 247

Source:
Get rid of spaces
Let's hit the points people have discussed in the past impacting recruiting during the time frame you're interested in.
1) AAC. I'd rule this out since this hasn't changed during the time frame!
2) Type of season. If anything you would have expected easier recruiting following an NC versus a season in which the team was one and done in the NIT. So this correlation should be ruled out for the time frame you are discussing. The legacy of success still has to be considered in over all recruiting success but not with regards to the net casting/success ratio time frame you wish to discuss.
3) Patoni tiles: rule this out.
4) Practice Facility: I'd have to consider this. It was still under construction last recruiting cycle. Kids get a different feel when they go through a completed facility (unless they are considering a mechanical engineering degree). So this can account for some of the ability to cast a smaller net.
5) APR. Could significantly impact recruiting if coaches are at a serious contact disadvantage compared to other coaches. Since last season the APR restrictions were in place and not this season I don't think we should rule this factor out as the cause for perceived improvement in recruiting success.
6) Positional playing time. Arguable. On the one hand lots of playing time was available with so many players moving on before last season. On the other hand, as you suggest, the wide net could have turned off recruits because they might have felt KO wasn't primarily focused on them.

In the first recruiting cycle for KO (three season ago) KO made a tremendous effort to demonstrate to Abu he was the primary recruit KO wanted. That didn't change Abu's decision to go to NCS. So unless there was something done underhandedly by Gottfried or some alumnus, there are examples where a smaller net isn't necessarily more effective.
7 KO's ability to close out on recruits. I've stated my position on this before. I don't buy it.

In conclusion you have some plausibility to your argument imo. I still consider the APR and the development of relationships to be the primary if not the exclusive factor in the recent recruiting success versus KO's first two years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom