Recruiting has to get better | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Recruiting has to get better

Reaction Score
Vital gets this year's Amida Brimah award: 40 points against Coppin State followed by 1 point against a real opponent, Duke. CV gets 30 against Boston University and follows with zero against two better opponents in Oregon and Michigan State. Geez. No one expected him to be Mr 30 PPG, but how about 8-12?
If he’s our best 3 point shooter why didn’t we run plays to get him shots at the 3 point line? Every play was a guard driving the lane and flinging it up. Now our bigs did not rebound and putback...anything. I think against inferior competition our bigs can succeed but against better players this is what we’ll see.

Reaction Score
If he’s our best 3 point shooter why didn’t we run plays to get him shots at the 3 point line? Every play was a guard driving the lane and flinging it up. Now our bigs did not rebound and putback...anything. I think against inferior competition our bigs can succeed but against better players this is what we’ll see.

Bigs need to react quicker and better to doubles, Carlton had trouble and the Spartans made it tough in the young guy. Cobb is a better passer and would be a better inside-out big for us for some open looks, the others need to learn where the D is coming from and either make their move or get rid of it faster. It will take time.

Reaction Score
My question mark is whether Ollie's NBA style one on one, guards have the freedom to create individually philosophy can translate at the college level. I'm skeptical for a few reasons - but first and foremost because college kids aren't NBA kids and you need a very specific kind of kid to be able to run in that system. The second thing, is that you have to keep your recruiting at an incredibly high level at the guard position to do that - and expecting Gilberts and Adams type players every year isn't realistic. The third problem is that if you're a big or a scoring wing, i'm not sure how excited i'd be about coming to a program where everything is going to depend on someone else's creativity. The other part of me says that the one and done type kids might see some success here and say - 'hey, this guy is running a system that's going to help me at the next level' and might be tempted. Who knows. I'm more skeptical than I am optimistic, but nowhere near to the degree that i'd dismiss it outright. I'm willing to give it a shot.

This. His offensive system is incredibly frustrating to watch. Maybe it's because we've watched it run to the point of futility without adjustments. I can appreciate his vision, but the lack of adjustments and a back of plan is concerning. It doesn't help that we haven't had the proper personnel to execute his vision, but he should at least have an idea of what kind of adjustment the opposing team is going to make at half time and be ready to counter that. I have to wonder if they hold back certain parts of the playbook until the team can show that they've got a handle on the earlier chapters.

Last edited:

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
My question mark is whether Ollie's NBA style one on one, guards have the freedom to create individually philosophy can translate at the college level. I'm skeptical for a few reasons - but first and foremost because college kids aren't NBA kids and you need a very specific kind of kid to be able to run in that system. The second thing, is that you have to keep your recruiting at an incredibly high level at the guard position to do that - and expecting Gilberts and Adams type players every year isn't realistic. The third problem is that if you're a big or a scoring wing, i'm not sure how excited i'd be about coming to a program where everything is going to depend on someone else's creativity. The other part of me says that the one and done type kids might see some success here and say - 'hey, this guy is running a system that's going to help me at the next level' and might be tempted. Who knows. I'm more skeptical than I am optimistic, but nowhere near to the degree that i'd dismiss it outright. I'm willing to give it a shot.

This. His offensive system is incredibly frustrating to watch. Maybe it's because we've watched it run to the point of futility without adjustments. I can appreciate his vision, but the lack of adjustments and a back of plan is concerning. It doesn't help that we haven't had the proper personnel to execute his vision, but he should at least have an idea of what kind of adjustment the opposing team is going to make at half time and be ready to counter that. I have to wonder if they hold back certain parts of the playbook until the team can show that they've got a handle on the earlier chapters.[/QUOTE]
That would be my take. JC divided the season into thirds.

No matter how experienced his teams were he always insisted on developing defense first. It was his trademark. He knew teams could go cold on offense. Defense, particularly great defense, was far more predictable to be consistent.

With his more experienced teams he’d implement various offensive sets in the first third. Less experienced teams the process started second third. Initially he kept offense sets simple.

KO is following JC’s playbook imo. The strength and experience resides with the guards. As other players develop (hopefully) the coaches will implement other options.

Reaction Score
Explain to me how a kid who can't play more than makes up for losing three highly recruited players and our top incoming recruit.
None of those kids could rebound. They are now rebounding. Wilson is really a top 50, and he hasn't even started yet. Plus, those kids, with the possible exception of Ashton Langford, were pre-madonnas.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom