Recently Watched Movies 2022 | Page 11 | The Boneyard

Recently Watched Movies 2022

temery

What?
Reaction Score
You should be trying to make the platform more interactive for the non boomer posters who don't get intimidated by lots of buttons.

The problem in this case was the addition of one button.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
The House of Gucci. 2021. So, big cast here with Lady Gaga, Adam Driver, Jeremy Irons, Al Pacino and shockingly Jared Leto. They all do a good job, Leto is better than good, he's unrecognizable as Paolo Gucci. I didn't know the story, maybe some do. Irons and Pacino are Gucci brothers Rodolpho and Aldo and own the stock 50-50. It's a somewhat old company that is facing fading relevance, and modern counterfeiting. But really this is about the family and the backstabbing, and Lady Gaga setting her sights on Rodolpho's son Maurizio Gucci (Adam Driver) and reeling him in like a prized tuna. She's sexy, curvy and plays a very long game. In some ways, she plays it too well as you see the whole thing unfold. It's long and maybe could have used some editing, but it isn't tedious. Not amazing, but there are very good performances and lots of nice scenery.

Side note: I don't think I have appreciated how much of a chameleon Jared Leto is. I keep seeing the Morbius trailer and he's fit, athletic, handsome. In Gucci, he's fat, balding and looks 10 years older. Looking at what he's been in, its remarkable how he simply blends in and becomes the character, even Joker where he's the lead. So much so I lose track of the fact that it's him.

The movie is OK, but I got bored with it and didn't finish it. I will watch the end at some point. The cast is amazing, and I think they all do a very good job, but the movie is not enough fun given the subject matter. The story of an aging fashion brand run by two pretentious has-beens, Irons and Pacino, who are not nearly as smart as they think they are, with a next generation (Leto, Driver, Gaga's characters) of back-stabbing, narcissistic incompetents should have just been more fun to watch. The story is ridiculous, and the fact that it is true makes it more ridiculous. It feels like the actors all did their part to make it more entertaining, but the movie is just a collection of chronological scenes that feels a bit like an above average history channel episode.

I will blame this on Ridley Scott. I felt the same way about American Gangster, which I liked, but should have been a better movie. All the Money in the World held together despite major production issues, but there were fewer major roles and Scott had to be more creative because he was filming Christopher Plummer into the movie post-production.

Reaction Score
The movie is OK, but I got bored with it and didn't finish it. I will watch the end at some point. The cast is amazing, and I think they all do a very good job, but the movie is not enough fun given the subject matter. The story of an aging fashion brand run by two pretentious has-beens, Irons and Pacino, who are not nearly as smart as they think they are, with a next generation (Leto, Driver, Gaga's characters) of back-stabbing, narcissistic incompetents should have just been more fun to watch. The story is ridiculous, and the fact that it is true makes it more ridiculous. It feels like the actors all did their part to make it more entertaining, but the movie is just a collection of chronological scenes that feels a bit like an above average history channel episode.

I will blame this on Ridley Scott. I felt the same way about American Gangster, which I liked, but should have been a better movie. All the Money in the World held together despite major production issues, but there were fewer major roles and Scott had to be more creative because he was filming Christopher Plummer into the movie post-production.

It just seems like every Ridley Scott movie is the same movie. He’s a long way from Alien and Bladerunner.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
The Bubble. 2022. Netflix. This is a satire about a group making an action movie (Cliff Beasts 6) during the pandemic. So they are in England, in a "bubble". Directed by Jedd Apatow. Karen Gillan, Leslie Mann (married to Apatow) looking fabulous at 50, Pedro Pascal, David Duchovny, Keegan-Michael Key, Iris Apatow (their daughter), and Peter Serafinowitz. Lots of other big names in cameo roles. I'm a sucker for Karen Gillan, so had to watch. Parts of this were really funny. Parts were stupid. It's one of those things with so many jokes, that some fall flat. Iris Apatow is a gem really, starring as a Tik Tok girl with 100M followers who is cast in hopes that some of them will watch the movie. She has some of the best moments. Is it good? No, of course not, but it's not quite awful either. It's rather like the movie the characters are trying to make in some ways. With this cast, it could have been much better but it's not boring. Somebody had to try to capture the madness of "the bubble".

Reaction Score
The Hot Rock (1972) - This film stars Robert Redford and George Segal, and was directed by Peter Yates, who went on to direct one of my favorite films of the 1970's, "Breaking Away". "The Hot Rock" is a heist movie with comedic elements, with Redford the leader and chief planner of a scheme to steal a gem from a museum. There is also a small but nice supporting role for Zero Mostel, who plays a lawyer who is the father of one of the members of the gang involved in the scheme, but the movie is pretty much carried along by Redford's screen presence. This is a film where nothing seems to go exactly the right way in executing the heist, so the gang is constantly having to come up with something new in order to ultimately achieve their goal. Some pretty wild stuff goes on in this movie in the execution of the scheme. This movie is nothing special, but it is certainly watchable and entertaining.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
The Batman. My least favorite of all Batman movies.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
I'll still check it out eventually, but the trailers I saw for it did absolutely nothing for me. Looked more like a tv show on the CW than a major blockbuster movie.

Reaction Score
What has happened to indie film making? Maybe I'm just on an unlucky streak, but I've seen several recently that were TERRIBLE. "Warning," "Silent Night," and "John and the Hole" were all a complete waste of time. Dull and totally pointless. Who are these writers, directors, producers? Just bad, bad film making. They all had decent casts, but nothing to work with.
How much research do you guys do before you decide to watch something ? I won't even entertain putting something on my watchlist without getting a sense from the IMDB reviews that its worth considering. The only one of those three that would have passed the test is Silent Night, but just barely. The other two get terrible reviews.

Reaction Score
Made a critical mistake in watching Aloha directed by Cameron Crowe. I was suckered in by the impressive cast: Bill Murray, John Krasinski, Bradley Cooper, Rachel McAdams, Emma Stone, Alec Baldwin and Danny McBride among others.

I will be brief. Every Cameron Crowe movie is a derivative of Singles or Jerry McGuire. Which might be his only good movies.

In this case, the man child with the early mid life crisis is Bradley Cooper. Former military with a sketchy ethical past now working for a Billionaire Bezos/Musk kind of guy (Murray). But it just so happens that his ex girlfriend gums up the works and Cooper takes way too long in figuring out he should move on and sleep with Emma Stone.

Murray is wasted, not enough screen time. Alec Baldwin, who is perfectly cast as an angry Type A Air Force General delivers the best one liners and there aren't enough. And he somehow gets through the movie without shooting the director. Danny McBride, also wasted here plays a completely extraneous character. John Krasinski is just eye candy for the ladies. I think McAdams did the movie because she forgot her wallet and needed some lunch money.

This is a movie made for women that is hated by women and made by a dude who probably wishes he was a woman.

I may or may not of written this just to pump up the stats that @Mano produces every year.
Again, IMDB reviews say this is terrible

Reaction Score
I’m here to say that Kirsten Dunst, especially when wet, was clearly the best MJ. I find the Marisa Tomei Aunt May a brilliant turn in the Holland movies (and Avengers). “Aunt Hottie” as Tony Stark said. There was never a good reason a teeneager‘s aunt was in her 60s.

I second the nominations

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
The Batman. 2022. HBOMax. Lots of very split views on this. It's a bit too long and really slowly paced. The pace is intentional. Pattinson is fine. The whole cast is good actually. Colin Farrell is an amazing Penguin. Jeffrey Wright is perfect for Gordon. Zoe Kravitz is a damned good Selina Kyle. Andy Serkis is a good Alfred Pennyworth, if not as good as the guy in Pennyworth. The plot is solid, this isn't the typical DC comic movie with no plot. There's too much fake rain, reminds me of Blade Runner, but no city in America gets that much rain. Wasn't necessary. I'm torn on this movie. It has the least gimmicks, the fewest crazy stunts (one car chase) and Batman has fewer gadgets. As a result it asks the least in suspending disbelief and is the most realistic of the Batman movies. The trade-off is it's less fun. But this Batman drives an early 60's Corvette. His motorcycle looks like it's from the 60s as well. His batmobile looks to me like a hollowed out 1970 Dodge Charger. It's low tech. You get quite a lot of Bruce Wayne's turmoil and the plot ultimately centers on his growth and change of motivations, from revenge and inspiring fear to inspiring hope. I think The Dark Knight is still the best, but this is the most serious and might be second best. However, the pacing means it is quite an investment of time.
  • The Michael Keaton Batman was essentially an MTV music video, it was utterly vapid, but certainly fun. Reflected the era quite well.
  • Christian Bale Batman was serious, dark and violent. But also Hollywood blockbuster level exciting. Loads of action, loads of gadgets and ridiculous tech.
  • Ben Affleck Batman was tied to Superman and the Justice League, so was just different. It's an older Batman who has grown jaded and bitter. Over the top stunts and action.
  • Pattinson is a quiet, brooding Batman, not sure what his role is in the world and frustrated by his inability to impact it or change it in any meaningful ways. A bit of a metaphor for our times.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
All the Old Knives. 2022. Prime and cinemas. Stars Chris Pine and Thandie Newton, with Laurence Fishburn and Jonathan Pryce. It’s a CIA mystery/thriller of sorts. Very much a film that is almost nothing but conversation, no action at all. The stars are CIA agents and lovers, stationed in Vienna. A bad thing happens and the movie basically then unravels their story, including a lot of flashbacks as they recount what happened. It’s not as good, but it reminds me slightly of the first Cohen Brothers movie, Blood Simple. This is a decent movie if you want a slow paced film where the mystery gets peeled away through conversation.
This was pretty good, I liked the puzzle fine. Seemed a little cheap to me but a good watch. In a similar vein but one I liked better is The Outfit. Conversation-driven, all in just a couple of rooms like a play. You know the guy is full of it but I didn't put it all together. Not a big hit I'm thinking, we were the only two in the theater. It's streaming now on Peacock.

Last edited:

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
How much research do you guys do before you decide to watch something ? I won't even entertain putting something on my watchlist without getting a sense from the IMDB reviews that its worth considering. The only one of those three that would have passed the test is Silent Night, but just barely. The other two get terrible reviews.
Sometimes I'll look at reviews, but I don't always agree with public opinion, so I have to take it with a grain of salt. Trailers, cast lists, and plot synopsis can also influence whether or not I'll try something.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
I don't trust critic reviews. Some of what they love is trash. Some of what they hate is good. But audience reviews are somewhat reliable. Still more people who think negatively tend to take the time to "review". True for restaurants, hotels, whatever. So if it's bad reviews across the board I'll probably skip it, unless it has some particular quality that makes me want to see it.

Case in point: The Bubble. Terrible critic reviews, meh audience reviews. But, it's light hearted satire I was in the mood for and Karen Gillan is in it. So, I watched. No regrets, even if it wasn't "good". Sometimes I'm looking for a movie to expand my mind, or the depth of my emotions or whatever. But not always. Fun or funny can be enough.

Reaction Score

I definitely pay attention to reviews and such in deciding which movies to see. I will say that these days I don't pay attention to any one specific critic (20 years or so ago I paid a lot of attention to what Roger Ebert or the reviewer for the Hartford Advocate had to say about a film). Also if certain directors or actors are involved in a movie, that can certainly influence my decision to see a film.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I definitely pay attention to reviews and such in deciding which movies to see. I will say that these days I don't pay attention to any one specific critic (20 years or so ago I paid a lot of attention to what Roger Ebert or the reviewer for the Hartford Advocate had to say about a film). Also if certain directors or actors are involved in a movie, that can certainly influence my decision to see a film.
Back in the day, he was the reviewer I respected most. Wasn't even close. Sad.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I don't trust critic reviews. Some of what they love is trash. Some of what they hate is good. But audience reviews are somewhat reliable. Still more people who think negatively tend to take the time to "review". True for restaurants, hotels, whatever. So if it's bad reviews across the board I'll probably skip it, unless it has some particular quality that makes me want to see it.

Case in point: The Bubble. Terrible critic reviews, meh audience reviews. But, it's light hearted satire I was in the mood for and Karen Gillan is in it. So, I watched. No regrets, even if it wasn't "good". Sometimes I'm looking for a movie to expand my mind, or the depth of my emotions or whatever. But not always. Fun or funny can be enough.

There is so much excellent television that I don’t watch as many movies as I used to.

Reaction Score
Back in the day, he was the reviewer I respected most. Wasn't even close. Sad.

Way back in the day I loved watching Siskel and Ebert. While I always thought quite highly of Ebert's reviews, the quality of the television show and the reviews was never the same after Gene Siskel died.

I am in total agreement with your assessment of the Hartford Advocate movie reviewer. He was the chief reason I picked up that paper every week, he knew how to give you an idea of what a movie was like and how good it was without giving everything away. And yes, sad as well.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
All the Old Knives. 2022. Prime and cinemas. Stars Chris Pine and Thandie Newton, with Laurence Fishburn and Jonathan Pryce. It’s a CIA mystery/thriller of sorts. Very much a film that is almost nothing but conversation, no action at all. The stars are CIA agents and lovers, stationed in Vienna. A bad thing happens and the movie basically then unravels their story, including a lot of flashbacks as they recount what happened. It’s not as good, but it reminds me slightly of the first Cohen Brothers movie, Blood Simple. This is a decent movie if you want a slow paced film where the mystery gets peeled away through conversation.
I was actually enjoying it until the end, which I didn't find believable due to Pine's non-reaction to being poisoned. I am not a Chris Pine fan, but he was OK here until that glass of red.. It was slow, but intelligent. And now you're making me want to watch Blood Simple again. I don't recall all the particulars of that film, but I do recall enjoying Dan Hedaya's role in it.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Wow that’s some stiff competition. Worse than Batman and Robin?

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
I was actually enjoying it until the end, which I didn't find believable due to Pine's non-reaction to being poisoned. I am not a Chris Pine fan, but he was OK here until that glass of red.. It was slow, but intelligent. And now you're making me want to watch Blood Simple again. I don't recall all the particulars of that film, but I do recall enjoying Dan Hedaya's role in it.
Blood Simple was genius. Absolutely brilliant. It's short too, by modern standards so an easy re-watch.

Reaction Score
Sonic 2 was very watchable. I have a 5 year old who loves Sonic. The Sonic series has been pretty strong and Jim Carrey was born for that role.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom