Recently Watched Movies 2022 | Page 10 | The Boneyard

Recently Watched Movies 2022

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Aloha came out in 2015. Literally one of the top 5 pieces of garbage I have ever seen before.
Well, our opinions differ. Not even close to being notable for being an all time clunker in my view.

Reaction Score
Well, our opinions differ. Not even close to being notable for being an all time clunker in my view.

Doesn't get much worse on Rotten Tomatoes.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Well, the people have spoken. I just didn't think it was that bad. I've seen probably 4 movies in the last 2 weeks that were way, way worse. It's like the craft of making movies just completely went out the window during the pandemic or something.

There's gotta be some kind of sliding scale being used here. Like because of the talents of the people involved, more was expected of it. Are B or D grade movies exempt from being considered for all time worst status? I think you could just pick Nicolas Cage movies and come up with an all time bottom 5 films. Or something Bruce Willis attached his name to and made a cameo appearance in.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Well, the people have spoken. I just didn't think it was that bad.
That's fair. I haven't seen this one but I kinda liked Jonah Hex and that had one atrocious reviews.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Spencer Confidential. Netflix. Mark Wahlberg reprises the old TV Spencer for Hire role. Set in Boston of course, where Mark seems to do his best work. It's got some humor, some action, some dirty cops (a lot of dirty cops) on the whole a fun watch. Iliza Shlesinger, who I mostly know for stand-up, is really very good and very funny as Spencer's Ex. Not bad to look at either. Alan Arkin is in it but doesn't do much. Winston Duke is good as Hawk (and looks huge). Post Malone has a small role, and I probably remain one of the few people who has never heard a Post Malone song.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
I just haven't really liked the Tom Holland Spider Man movies. I was fairly skeptical of claims of "No Way Home" being the best Marvel movie yet. I was correct. Too long, movie really dragged during several stretches. Ned is kinda annoying, MJ just doesn't move the needle much, Peter/Spidey is even a little annoying. Flash is definitely annoying. Betty is criminally underused, Angourie Rice is probably the best actor out of all the younger cast members. She got about a minute in this one and isn't even part of the group of high school friends anymore apparently. J.B. Smoove, Hannibal Buress and Martin Starr are kinda like the 3 Stooges, but a movie about them might be more entertaining (as a side note, have Hannibal Buress and Lil Rel Howery ever teamed up?--I could see that being a good duo). When the movie wasn't dragging along, it felt kinda overstuffed. Spidey and Dr. Strange were having a competition to see who could make the dumbest decision with the worst possible impact. While my expectations weren't super high, this was still fairly disappointing.

Okay, here's a question. If Peter Parker is 3 distinctly different people in 3 different dimensions (and so are Uncle Ben and Aunt May and several other characters)...why is J. Jonah Jameson exactly the same in the Tobey Maguire and Tom Holland universe? Painted themselves into a corner with that one I think.

I never cared for Andrew Garfield as Spidey. It was a long time ago, I don't know how well they've aged because I haven't watched them in forever, but I'll take the Tobey Maguire version and his first two are still the best Spiderman flicks (the third was junk).

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
I just haven't really liked the Tom Holland Spider Man movies. I was fairly skeptical of claims of "No Way Home" being the best Marvel movie yet. I was correct. Too long, movie really dragged during several stretches. Ned is kinda annoying, MJ just doesn't move the needle much, Peter/Spidey is even a little annoying. Flash is definitely annoying. Betty is criminally underused, Angourie Rice is probably the best actor out of all the younger cast members. She got about a minute in this one and isn't even part of the group of high school friends anymore apparently. J.B. Smoove, Hannibal Buress and Martin Starr are kinda like the 3 Stooges, but a movie about them might be more entertaining (as a side note, have Hannibal Buress and Lil Rel Howery ever teamed up?--I could see that being a good duo). When the movie wasn't dragging along, it felt kinda overstuffed. Spidey and Dr. Strange were having a competition to see who could make the dumbest decision with the worst possible impact. While my expectations weren't super high, this was still fairly disappointing.

Okay, here's a question. If Peter Parker is 3 distinctly different people in 3 different dimensions (and so are Uncle Ben and Aunt May and several other characters)...why is J. Jonah Jameson exactly the same in the Tobey Maguire and Tom Holland universe? Painted themselves into a corner with that one I think.

I never cared for Andrew Garfield as Spidey. It was a long time ago, I don't know how well they've aged because I haven't watched them in forever, but I'll take the Tobey Maguire version and his first two are still the best Spiderman flicks (the third was junk).
I don‘t agree with lots of that, but I’m here to say that Kirsten Dunst, especially when wet, was clearly the best MJ. I find the Marisa Tomei Aunt May a brilliant turn in the Holland movies (and Avengers). “Aunt Hottie” as Tony Stark said. There was never a good reason a teeneager‘s aunt was in her 60s.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I never cared for Andrew Garfield as Spidey. It was a long time ago, I don't know how well they've aged because I haven't watched them in forever, but I'll take the Tobey Maguire version and his first two are still the best Spiderman flicks (the third was junk
Agree 100%.

Because there are just three alternative multi-verses. There is an infinite number of them. In some J Jonah Jameson may be a different person. In some he may be a woman. And others he may not exist at all. In these three particular multiverses, however, all the Peter parkers are distinctly different individuals and all the J Jonah Jameson‘s are variations on the same individual.

You’re welcome.

Reaction Score

Imagine see Thor: Ragnarok and thinking that No Way Home is the best Marvel flick.

It’s not bad though.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Imagine see Thor: Ragnarok and thinking that No Way Home is the best Marvel flick.

It’s not bad though.
I think it's still Winter Soldier for me.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Agree 100%.

Because there are just three alternative multi-verses. There is an infinite number of them. In some J Jonah Jameson may be a different person. In some he may be a woman. And others he may not exist at all. In these three particular multiverses, however, all the Peter parkers are distinctly different individuals and all the J Jonah Jameson‘s are variations on the same individual.

You’re welcome.
Or, they'd already cast J.K. Simmons in the Marvel version, because he fit so well in the earlier Maguire films, before they knew they were going to do the multiverse/crossover thing.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score

It’s not bad though.
Ragnarok is the funniest for sure. Best is Captain America: Civil War.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Best is Captain America: Civil War.
That's right there w/ Winter Soldier for me. The Russos did a great job with the multiple films they directed.

Reaction Score
Made a critical mistake in watching Aloha directed by Cameron Crowe. I was suckered in by the impressive cast: Bill Murray, John Krasinski, Bradley Cooper, Rachel McAdams, Emma Stone, Alec Baldwin and Danny McBride among others.

I will be brief. Every Cameron Crowe movie is a derivative of Singles or Jerry McGuire. Which might be his only good movies.

In this case, the man child with the early mid life crisis is Bradley Cooper. Former military with a sketchy ethical past now working for a Billionaire Bezos/Musk kind of guy (Murray). But it just so happens that his ex girlfriend gums up the works and Cooper takes way too long in figuring out he should move on and sleep with Emma Stone.

Murray is wasted, not enough screen time. Alec Baldwin, who is perfectly cast as an angry Type A Air Force General delivers the best one liners and there aren't enough. And he somehow gets through the movie without shooting the director. Danny McBride, also wasted here plays a completely extraneous character. John Krasinski is just eye candy for the ladies. I think McAdams did the movie because she forgot her wallet and needed some lunch money.

This is a movie made for women that is hated by women and made by a dude who probably wishes he was a woman.

I may or may not of written this just to pump up the stats that @Mano produces every year.
I'd have liked this if I were allowed to like posts still.

You also forgot about Emma Stone playing an asian character.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
You got your like button privileges revoked? What did you do? :eek:

CL82

Reaction Score
Fantasy Island (2020)

This is a remake of the 70s TV show. Eventually the original show got schlocky, kind of a love boat island format, but if you remember the original pilot, you may remember that it was pretty dark. People got their “fantasies“ but they rarely came out the way they anticipated. That’s the gist of this movie.

Though I typically like Michael Peña as a actor, he doesn’t convey the underlying evil that Ricardo Montalban did in the original 70s pilot as Mr. Roarke. In the movie version, Roarke is given a backstory that in someways makes him a victim of the island as well. It’s an interesting take. Maggie Q does a good job in her role as a guest and looks terrific. Lucy Hale is adequate in her role.

There are a lot of twists and turns in this Blumhouse version. Maybe too many. But it is a solid if not great watch.

Reaction Score
Fantasy Island (2020)

This is a remake of the 70s TV show. Eventually the original show got schlocky, kind of a love boat island format, but if you remember the original pilot, you may remember that it was pretty dark. People got their “fantasies“ but they rarely came out the way they anticipated. That’s the gist of this movie.

Though I typically like Michael Peña as a actor, he doesn’t convey the underlying evil that Ricardo Montalban did in the original 70s pilot as Mr. Roarke. In the movie version, Roarke is given a backstory that in someways makes him a victim of the island as well. It’s an interesting take. Maggie Q does a good job in her role as a guest and looks terrific. Lucy Hale is adequate in her role.

There are a lot of twists and turns in this Blumhouse version. Maybe too many. But it is a solid if not great watch.

If the idea was to create a franchise, it failed. Bad movie, two stars would be generous.

temery

What?
Reaction Score

You also forgot about Emma Stone playing an asian character.

You were probably one of those who down voted dozens of posts from the same person once it became an option.

Be better than that.

CL82

Reaction Score
If the idea was to create a franchise, it failed. Bad movie, two stars would be generous.
I did end up spinning off into a TV series, a second one. It wasn’t great, but I’ve seen far far worse.

Reaction Score
I handed out tomatoes to throw at the guy in the stocks. Didn't think it was fair for one guy to grab the entire basket of tomatoes.

Hand out more tomatoes next time.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom