Rebuilding Genos Legacy | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Rebuilding Genos Legacy

Reaction Score
Geno's legacy, other than the unbelievable record, is his success at placing players in the WNBA. Sue Bird, Maya Moore, DT.....could be considered as replacements if they are interested in coaching,
TonyC, Matt here, we had a nice conversation in the heat at Great River watching the Epson players.

Reaction Score
Geno's legacy, other than the unbelievable record, is his success at placing players in the WNBA. Sue Bird, Maya Moore, DT.....could be considered as replacements if they are interested in coaching,
TonyC, Matt here, we had a nice conversation in the heat at Great River watching the Epson players.
If any of them have successful coaching experience, they could be considered. If they have no coaching experience, they should not be considered. Great players can rarely become great coaches overnight. Name is not enough to succeed.

sun

Reaction Score
If any of them have successful coaching experience, they could be considered. If they have no coaching experience, they should not be considered. Great players can rarely become great coaches overnight. Name is not enough to succeed.
They basically only need to have a desire to become coaches which none of the stars mentioned have shown.
The can start off as assistants to teach, motivate, recruit & scout just like Dawn & all of the rest.
Many coaches are ex-players, some are just more successful coaches than others.
But you have to admit that being a popular & successful player has its advantages if they want to become a high profile coach.
Because schools have large staffs there's plenty of blame to go around when a coach/ or team isn't successful.
Coaches can only do so much to get good players to choose to come to their no name school.
But now with NIL money available anything is possible & coaching can also be more lucrative than playing.
It woould be a blast to see Paige become a coach someday.
She has the mojo to do it.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Is there a reason people aren't mentioning Rizzotti?

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Is there a reason people aren't mentioning Rizzotti?
Look at her three years at George Washington University. 2016 - 2017; 20 - 10. 2017 - 2018; 19 - 13. 2019 - 2020; 10 - 20.

She has not coached college ball since 2020. She is now president of the Connecticut Sun.

Reaction Score
They basically only need to have a desire to become coaches which none of the stars mentioned have shown.
The can start off as assistants to teach, motivate, recruit & scout just like Dawn & all of the rest.
Many coaches are ex-players, some are just more successful coaches than others.
But you have to admit that being a popular & successful player has its advantages if they want to become a high profile coach.
Because schools have large staffs there's plenty of blame to go around when a coach/ or team isn't successful.
Coaches can only do so much to get good players to choose to come to their no name school.
But now with NIL money available anything is possible & coaching can also be more lucrative than playing.
It woould be a blast to see Paige become a coach someday.
She has the mojo to do it.
Oh, I agree. But, I was responding to a post about replacing Geno - which you don't do with someone having no coaching experience Could any of those greats be hired as assistants? Oh yeah.

Reaction Score
Look at her three years at George Washington University. 2016 - 2017; 20 - 10. 2017 - 2018; 19 - 13. 2019 - 2020; 10 - 20.

She has not coached college ball since 2020. She is now president of the Connecticut Sun.
also,
"She previously spent 17 seasons as the head women's basketball coach at the University of Hartford where she led the Hawks to four America East Conference championships and six trips to the NCAA tournament. She was named America East Coach of the Year in 2006, 2007, and 2010.[16] In 2010 Rizzotti guided Hartford to an undefeated regular season in the America East Conference and was one of the 10 finalists up for the Kay Yow Coach of the Year.

Rizzotti served as the head coach of the USA Basketball U18 team, at the 2010 FIBA Americas U18 Championship for Women in June 2010 at the U.S. Olympic Training Center in Colorado Springs CO.[17][18] She previously served as an assistant coach of the U18 team, assisting head coach Doug Bruno in 2006, when the team went 4–0 to win the gold medal.[19]

In 2011, Rizzotti was named USA Basketball National Coach of the Year. She was the head coach for the USA U18 team, which won the gold medal at the 2010 FIBA Americas U18 Championship. She continued as head coach of the U19 team and guided the team to another gold medal at the FIBA U19 World Championship games held in Chile.[20]"

yep I know what she's doing now.

Reaction Score
also,
"She previously spent 17 seasons as the head women's basketball coach at the University of Hartford where she led the Hawks to four America East Conference championships and six trips to the NCAA tournament. She was named America East Coach of the Year in 2006, 2007, and 2010.[16] In 2010 Rizzotti guided Hartford to an undefeated regular season in the America East Conference and was one of the 10 finalists up for the Kay Yow Coach of the Year.

Rizzotti served as the head coach of the USA Basketball U18 team, at the 2010 FIBA Americas U18 Championship for Women in June 2010 at the U.S. Olympic Training Center in Colorado Springs CO.[17][18] She previously served as an assistant coach of the U18 team, assisting head coach Doug Bruno in 2006, when the team went 4–0 to win the gold medal.[19]

In 2011, Rizzotti was named USA Basketball National Coach of the Year. She was the head coach for the USA U18 team, which won the gold medal at the 2010 FIBA Americas U18 Championship. She continued as head coach of the U19 team and guided the team to another gold medal at the FIBA U19 World Championship games held in Chile.[20]"

yep I know what she's doing now.
Yeah, but, can she recruit at a P-whatever level?

sun

Reaction Score
Many people try to discredit Jen's coaching record but they can't take away her overall record of accomplshment as a coach & as a role model.
There is no comparison between coaching George Washington & UConn which always gets brought up by her detractors.
The difference in the level of players & what each program offers is like night & day, & so is the amount of staff & expectations that each school has of its players.
She was a dynamite coach at Hartford & very successful for many years.

I'll bet that Jen will apply when the search for a new coach begins.
She's a well connected leader to bring in other UConn stars to be assistants & ambassadors for the program.
Becoming the new UConn coach will be a job for the most passionate & not for those in it for the fame & fortune.
She probably talks to Geno on a regular basis & knows as much about his future plans as anyone besides Chris Daily.
I'd never count Jen out, she must be close to Storrs for a reason, & she remains involved as a successful Olympic coach for a good reason too.
It shows that her coaching career isn't over.

Last edited:

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
When Geno leaves I feel there needs to be some pieces in place. The coaching staff which I believe is in place now. A foundation of players who know how to implement his system which compliments the coaches. A winning team with recruits in the ready to step in to replace those roster players when they graduate. Recruiting for the future will be big. Understand it takes time to build a program. Any coach coming in will need time to build a program therefore I believe these concepts need to be in place to help the new head coach coming in. By having the coaches in place who can run Genos system and by having the players who know how to run Genos system already in place there is no need to bring in a new coach and new staff. Take what you have tweak it where needed and go with it. Do I feel the new coach needs to bring in their own staff? I would think that could be a disaster. I feel that way because Genos system is in place and it is a proven system. No need to reinvent anything. Thats why I feel having a coaching staff in place and players in place who can execute his system is the way to go.

Reaction Score
I’ve been a Carla Berube fan for a long time and consider her and Shea to be the top two candidates to succeed Geno. Over the past few years, a third candidate arose in Marisa Mosely. For a long time Carla was my first choice but now I’m thinking Shea. Watching and listening to Shea grow into her position as head coach of Vanderbilt has been truly impressive. Though any of the three would certainly be fine with me, my first choice now, would be Shea Ralph! The big question is…would she, or any of them, accept the job? Pretty tough to follow the greatest coach ever!

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
I’ve been a Carla Berube fan for a long time and consider her and Shea to be the top two candidates to succeed Geno. Over the past few years, a third candidate arose in Marisa Mosely. For a long time Carla was my first choice but now I’m thinking Shea. Watching and listening to Shea grow into her position as head coach of Vanderbilt has been truly impressive. Though any of the three would certainly be fine with me, my first choice now, would be Shea Ralph! The big question is…would she, or any of them, accept the job? Pretty tough to follow the greatest coach ever!

I agree with a lot of what you have posted. I would add it would be a very big plus if the next head coach comes from Geno's tree. One who understands and can maintain the culture of excellence that Geno and CD have created. To me that is the key to continued success of the program.

The big question you eluded to is the key. Would any of the three really want to leave their respective programs? I don't think any of us know the answer to that one.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
Carla & Shea have been my two top picks for a long time. Carla has shown an impressive trajectory from Tufts to Princeton. She's also from the northeast, which could play a factor in future jobs, especially if that's important to her. Shea's record at Vanderbilt has been a bit rocky, however with injuries over the past season, I'm not using that as a prediction for the future. Vandy was ranked at the bottom of SEC this year, so I hope they use that as fuel, as I think they are better than that, right @YoDore? The other consideration is that Shea is from NC, and it's possible she wants to stay in the south.

WRT Moseley, she's in the same position as Ralph, with a short runway of HC experience. Time will tell.

Although I do like other UConn alum, IMHO, not sure any of them have the upside that Carla & Shea have, and again, IMHO, I don't think UConn would ever hire an alum with little to no coaching experience, just because they are an alum. The men's side has seen a mix of results from hiring alums - Hardaway @ Memphis, Howard @ Michigan, Ewing @ Georgetown, Scheyer @ Duke, Mullins @ St John, etc.

UConn M&WBB is a huge brand, and that will be of utmost consideration.

sun

Reaction Score
Geno & Chris must have quite a Rolodex filled with WBB contacts from all over the world for scouting purposes that would be impossible to replicate without their assistance.
One thing that most everyone can agree on is that Geno's replacement will become the face of the UConn WBB brand, the most storied team in history.
That person will need to be a public relations expert & able to endure a lot of public scrutiny.
The decision on a long term replacement will be like anticipating the results of voting for a new Pope.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I have a vague recollection of Geno saying he would play no part in choosing his successor. Anybody else remember this?

sun

Reaction Score
I have a vague recollection of Geno saying he would play no part in choosing his successor. Anybody else remember this?
The article also says that, "Last year, Dailey didn’t commit to leaving at the same time as her coaching partner."
Many seem to think that she said that she would leave when Geno does.
Maybe she will or maybe she won't.

Reaction Score
I agree with a lot of what you have posted. I would add it would be a very big plus if the next head coach comes from Geno's tree. One who understands and can maintain the culture of excellence that Geno and CD have created. To me that is the key to continued success of the program.

The big question you eluded to is the key. Would any of the three really want to leave their respective programs? I don't think any of us know the answer to that one.
Although CD & Geno were interviewing for the same job and coming from very different sets of programs as assistants, I'm thinking the three top "contestants": Shea, Carla, & Jen could be an outstanding "Three-headed monster" to succeed the dynamic duo of CD & Geno.

Reaction Score
I am curious whether UConn will continue to receive the same level of financial support if they stop being a dominant program (e.g. chartered flights, ongoing facility maintenance and/or upgrades, coaching & support staff level and salaries)?

Those types of things will be just as important as who the next head coach is.

Will it be the chicken or the egg? Do the results impact the support or will the support impact the results?
Great point. It is going to be interesting to see what develops.

Reaction Score
When he retires, it will be a clean and complete break. No coach can operate with a legend looking over her shoulder (and it's for certain that a woman will replace Coach Geno in the premier women's basketball program in the nation). He will go on to commentate on ESPN or somewhere else. He might publish a book, and go on tour. But for many months, he will not be seen at the basketball facilities at Storrs. That's just the way it has to be.
I agree 100%. I think once Coach G retires, it will be a clean break. He will do stuff for foundations, write books, and we know he is going to be on TV in some capacity. He will have a podcast. I think he will do the same thing Coach K over at Duke did once he retired. When he retired, there was talk of him sticking around as an advisor for Coach Scheyer, but like you mentioned, Coach K did not want to stick around and be a distraction. He knew that Coach Scheyer would be looking over his shoulder and the players would be checking in with him (Coach K). Coach K stayed away from the Duke program for a few months. Coach K is working on some books, podcasting, and doing stuff with his foundation that he started for his mom. Coach G will do the same.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chino323

Top Bottom