Rebuild? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Rebuild?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Funny, I haven't thought about the optics in a long time. How much of that is still a factor? It would be a bad look for sure. But usually, those with the deepest pockets win out in these situations. If big boosters want him gone, he's likely gone.

I wonder if DB would ask for JC's blessing, and if so, would JC give it.

Herbst will have an issue with the legislature.

Those that want to cut funding to UConn will jump up and down even though the state funding is unrelated - it’s not like more than 3% of the public understands that.

Reaction Score
The next coach if KO is fired would be a mid major type coach because of monetary issues. Probably wouldn't have the connections/ track record to recruit near the level of KO

First, If KO gets fired its via donor money. Which means we still have plenty of money to bring in who we want. Secondly, in the last 2 years we have only 1 committed kid over the 150 mark (Akinjo at 97). We are hardly above mid-major status right now for recruitment anyways. Not to mention our guys are getting a bump in these ranking systems with the UConn name when they commit As you can see when they struggle to stand out against Colgate and Monmouth they are probably mid-major recruits anyways.

Again I'm not taking a side quite yet but I could absolutely see a side that believes in and gets new found energy from the mid-major coach bring in his players for his system who they believe he can run better than KO can run his. This year there are plenty of mid-major teams and their coaches with much more optimistic seasons right now with recruiting classes that were as you call it "mid-major" status. What it comes down to is production, plain and simple.

Reaction Score
The next coach if KO is fired would be a mid major type coach because of monetary issues. Probably wouldn't have the connections/ track record to recruit near the level of KO
Hurley has a top 25 recruiting class coming in next year. With our brand and facilities he’ll be more than okay on the recruiting trail.

And yes, I’ve already convinced myself he’s our next coach. I need it to get through the rest of the season.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Herbst will have an issue with the legislature.

Those that want to cut funding to UConn will jump up and down even though the state funding is unrelated - it’s not like more than 3% of the public understands that.

Yeah, I saw you clarified after I posted. I was thinking the optics of firing a beloved former player and hand picked successor to JC. Knife in the back sort of thing. Which I don't care about myself, but would probably be spun as "look UCONN eats its own blah blah blah"

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
KO will have to convince the best of this group to stay at the end of the season. Then he'll have to convince the "committed " 2018 kids to stay committed and after that he'll have to develop what he has. In addition to that, it wouldn't hurt to
Add one quality grad. Transfer big ( heavy emphasis on "quality"). If he can some
How make it to next season without losing much and adding the new kids, we should be better next year. The possibility of these things actually happening would be almost miraculous.
Not crazy about bringing in grad transfers anymore. If you are in rebuild mode all they do is prevent the younger players from gaining needed experience. You need foundation 4 year players and higher level recruits who would be here at least 2 years to build. Grad transfers help when you’re on the cusp of a special season and need a specific player. That’s all.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Yeah, I saw you clarified after I posted. I was thinking the optics of firing a beloved former player and hand picked successor to JC. Knife in the back sort of thing. Which I don't care about myself, but would probably be spun as "look UCONN eats its own blah blah blah"

Most of the national media seems to rightfully think it’s a complete tire fire.

I don’t think we’ll get Sendeked too bad if they make a move.

Reaction Score
I hear you, but quite frankly you can’t let the media narratives determine what decisions you make. If some of these guys were so great making decisions they would be out doing things rather than reporting on what somebody else does.

Good point. Hopefully Whaler is taking notes. That would take time to pull his head out of his a** first though.

Reaction Score
Most of the national media seems to rightfully think it’s a complete tire fire.

I don’t think we’ll get Sendeked too bad if they make a move.
Oh wow, a proper usage of Sendeked. Color me impressed.

Reaction Score
Not crazy about bringing in grad transfers anymore. If you are in rebuild mode all they do is prevent the younger players from gaining needed experience. You need foundation 4 year players and higher level recruits who would be here at least 2 years to build. Grad transfers help when you’re on the cusp of a special season and need a specific player. That’s all.

Kromah would be exhibit A. But your overall point that grad transfers are nothing but a band aid is a very good one. In the grand scheme of things Gibbs and Onuorah have not helped much. I did like the addition of Shonn Miller though. He was a nice player.

Reaction Score
The American Conference didn’t kill recruiting until the recruiting effort started taking escalators and then elevators and then no longer even wanted to do that.

It was obviously a headwind, but the name on the front of the uniform overcame that to some degree....until the name on the front of the uniform was the only thing recruiting for us.

I assume this is before Chill arrived, everything I read about the guy raved about his work ethic and recruiting ability. I like our 2018 class, not great but solid, we just need to keep the momentum going.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
I can already see the ESPN narrative now. UConn fires national champion winning, former alumni head coach, pays out $10M when CT is facing money problems. If UConn hadn't "left" the Big East to pursue football money they wouldn't be in this position, etc. We would be dragged through the mud.

Meanwhile (not apples to apples obviously) but A&M fires Sumlin who was a successful coach and buys him out for over $10M, hires Jimbo for $75M and is lauded for their "commitment to football".

It's such bs. It makes me just hate college sports.

Maybe its less about ESPN amd more about UConn being HORRIFIC at messaging!

Reaction Score
Kromah would be exhibit A. But your overall point that grad transfers are nothing but a band aid is a very good one. In the grand scheme of things Gibbs and Onuorah have not helped much. I did like the addition of Shonn Miller though. He was a nice player.

Kromah filled a specific niche.

Gibbs was a nice player, but horribly mis-cast as a ball-dominant guard. Miller was a stud and under-utilized.

Onuorah might be the worst player to ever get meaningful minutes in the last 25 years, and Anderson might be the worst player to ever play 30 mpg. They were taken because we were desperate, but that's not a defense of KO, actually a harsh condemnation given that it's his fault we had to resort to those guys.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Can anyone provide a single example of a schools in football or basketball that kept a coach to keep his recruiting class and it worked out?

Seton Hall. Kevin Williard had basically handed in his badge he was so fired...look at them now though.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
Miller was our best player. That says a lot about our team talent that a grad transfer can come from outside and become our best player in one season.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Seton Hall. Kevin Williard had basically handed in his badge he was so fired...look at them now though.

Good one. Addazio may get over the hump too.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Maybe its less about ESPN amd more about UConn being HORRIFIC at messaging!

There's no argument from me that UConn has absolutely botched nearly everything along the way, but to me, these two things aren't mutually exclusive.

I don't consiser myself overly sensitive to UConn in the media, i.e. Player X is voted 2nd team all league, not 1st "they don't respect us!" But by and large on the Fiesta Bowl, APR sanctions, conference realignment, etc. We really get taken to task in the news.

Reaction Score
Kromah filled a specific niche.

Gibbs was a nice player, but horribly mis-cast as a ball-dominant guard. Miller was a stud and under-utilized.

Onuorah might be the worst player to ever get meaningful minutes in the last 25 years, and Anderson might be the worst player to ever play 30 mpg. They were taken because we were desperate, but that's not a defense of KO, actually a harsh condemnation given that it's his fault we had to resort to those guys.

I agree with you on all four.

Things have been so unusual since Shabazz left that the roster always winds up being unconventional. I always hope that a Cobb or an Anderson will really be an impact player, but it usually isn't the case. And to leave 2 scholarships unfilled in 16-17 was bizarre, especially in light of the injury histories of guys like Durham and Gilbert. Our recruiting usually looks good on paper, but often the pieces are damaged or don't fit well together.

I truly miss having a relevant team to root for.

Reaction Score
Hurley has a top 25 recruiting class coming in next year. With our brand and facilities he’ll be more than okay on the recruiting trail.

And yes, I’ve already convinced myself he’s our next coach. I need it to get through the rest of the season.
Might be the other Hurley from what I've heard.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I assume this is before Chill arrived, everything I read about the guy raved about his work ethic and recruiting ability. I like our 2018 class, not great but solid, we just need to keep the momentum going.

Raved about Ollie’s work ethic?

As a player? Yep. For sure.

As a recruiter? Nope.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44