OT: - Reason 999 Coach K needs to call it a career... | The Boneyard

OT: Reason 999 Coach K needs to call it a career...

Reaction Score
Mike needs to call it a career and let Jeff Capel or Bobby Hurley have a shot while they're "young"....he's a complete boob when things are not roses & rainbows. Dude get over yourself!

He wasn't as belligerent as the headline portends but he's accomplished all he can at Duke.....call it a career or follow Calhoun's path if you really love coaching. I doubt he'll do that....he's no JC!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Mike needs to call it a career and let Jeff Capel or Bobby Hurley have a shot while they're "young"....he's a complete boob when things are not roses & rainbows. Dude get over yourself!

He wasn't as belligerent as the headline portends but he's accomplished all he can at Duke.....call it a career or follow Calhoun's path if you really love coaching. I doubt he'll do that....he's no JC!

Yeah he didnt exactly "lash out" but his response was pretty whiney. I think you said it best he needs to get over himself.

C

Chief00

Actually, I agree with Coach K. The student reporter apparently did not listen to his first answer and basically repeated the question, he just answered.

Reaction Score
Actually, I agree with Coach K. The student reporter apparently did not listen to his first answer and basically repeated the question, he just answered.
I agree, kinda.

I have no issue with what he said but this is yet another example of this tone and delivery being so off-putting.

I have no idea how this guy connects with his players at all. In a season like this one where the kids see almost no one aside their team, it's extra important for that coach/player connection to become family-like and I just don't see K adding anything to that dynamic at Duke.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

A Calhoun/Coach K DIII championship game would be kind of cool. Calhoun would win, of course.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
This is being way overblown. His response wasn't bad at all. He said they just had a hard fought game, he wants to evaluate this game and now isn't the time to worry abou the next step and compared it to being asked the same question after leaving a tough exam. He finished up with give it time and we'll figure ito out (I hope they don't).
It's 45-50 seconds.

It's actually a pretty boring answer.

Reaction Score
If that's what today's students think is "lashing out" then they are bigger babies than I have ever imagined.
If you have a middle school student in the family, talk to them. Or follow their FB account. Absolutely frightening what their thoughts and concerns are, how they look at themselves and the world. Seriously shocking, people have no idea. Anyone here who likes to jab Millenials will in 10 years be thinking of them as the hard core tough generation.

Last edited:

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I agree, kinda.

I have no issue with what he said but this is yet another example of this tone and delivery being so off-putting.

I have no idea how this guy connects with his players at all. In a season like this one where the kids see almost no one aside their team, it's extra important for that coach/player connection to become family-like and I just don't see K adding anything to that dynamic at Duke.

This is what I noticed as well. He was completely monotone, never changed pitch, volume, inflection, anything.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
If that's what today's students think is "lashing out" then they are bigger babies than I have ever imagined.

It wasn't the Duke student reporter calling it "lashing out" it was the Yahoo sports "reporter"/"journalist". Yahoo isn't exactly known for it's nuanced reporting or columns.

Reaction Score
He is a POS. Always has been.
Was going to post the same thing. He's a whiny little b#tch, always has been when things don't go perfect. Never matured. Had10x the McDonald's AAs up and down the roster and still couldn't beat JC.

Needed the media cover to protect and defend him at every turn.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Yeah he didn't go after the student at all. I will say that his response was very soft, though. "Have some empathy?" You lost a conference game to a good team, you didn't lose the NCAA Championship on a buzzer beater.

I've learned in the last few years that you can judge character and class and how nice someone is based off of how they act when they have some adversity. Coach K and Boeheim have both shown that they're not the same classy guy when things aren't going their way.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Did this guy from the first Deadpool movie remind anyone else of Coach K
1611590518436.png

1611590652503.png

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
If you have a middle school student in the family, talk to them. Or follow their FB account. Absolutely frightening what their thoughts and concerns are, how they look at themselves and the world. Seriously shocking, people have no idea. Anyone here who likes to jab Millenials will in 10 years be thinking of them as the hard core tough generation.

For the record my HS student refers to FB and Instagram as "old people" apps.

Reaction Score
This is a pretty benign controversy.

I was a big Coach K hater until I was about 35. Frankly, I was petty and the problems were with me. Not Coach K. I have let most if not all the pettiness go. College basketball is more enjoyable without my hatred/dislike for Coach K.

The sanctity of College Sports is pretty much a scam. Root for the Huskies or whoever your team is. Anger/hatred/whatever directed at another team is just not worth it. They ain't that bad and your team ain't that good.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
It wasn't the Duke student reporter calling it "lashing out" it was the Yahoo sports "reporter"/"journalist". Yahoo isn't exactly known for it's nuanced reporting or columns.
Exactly. Yahoo turned off comments in their app because more then half of them were crapp!ng all over the Yahoo writers, click bait and stuff. They used to post like two paragraphs of content and call it an article. I would not call their articles anythjng sensational.

Reaction Score
Coach K is such a chode. Like most on the boneyard, he has to make everyone think he's the smartest guy in the room.
What to you mean make people think , I definitely am the smartest in the room. .

My wife’s in the other room so I’m also the only person in the room.

krinklecut

Class of '11
Reaction Score
lol what a horrible analogy. A student pays to attend a university. The university pays a coach. There's actual real world accountability there.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom