Reality, per Geno | The Boneyard

Reality, per Geno

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
“I think some people sometimes get this impression that at UConn we have magic dust and our kids are all perfect players and all great students and they all shoot great and it’s just a matter of how much we’re going to win by,” Auriemma said. “It's taken for granted, I think. When you realize how hard it is, you would appreciate even more what we've done. It’s not as easy as we make it look at times. You're allowed to get beat once in a while. What fun would it be if you won all the time? It would be an exhibition. We could save the plane fare. We could call you up, ask you what you wanted the score to be, and we could stay home. If you show up, you have to be ready to accept losing. We don't lose a lot.”

The best part of the loss, from my view, is that maybe some of our more, um, well, arrogant fans might be a bit more cautious before trashing other programs.

https://news.google.com/articles/CB...ZXc9MSZjYXA9c3dpcGU?hl=en-US&gl=US&ceid=US:en

Reaction Score
the 2012-13 UConn team was way more talented that the current team and had size

Reaction Score
And in the 2012-13 season, UConn lost to Notre Dame three times as well as Baylor but still ended up winning the championship.

And it all clicked in the final; a great game to watch, Stewie's coming out party.

Reaction Score
And it all clicked in the final; a great game to watch, Stewie's coming out party.
ND was the semi-final. The final that season was against Louisville - the game where Doty elbowed Bria Smith and then Reed threw Stef to the floor late in the game and Jude Schimmel proved to us that it is possible to pick up 3 fouls quicker than ONO or Batouly and of course Heather Buck's big senior moment at the end.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Hasn't Geno stated for each of the Post Big 3 seasons that he was surprised by how well the teams performed? Even though we have 2 AAs this season, I am sure that the team has surprised him because he had no idea of how the 2 new starters and the bench were going to perform.
I am waiting for the game where each of the starters play up to their abilities but it probably isn't going to happen, just as it doesn't happen for a lot of teams. But if it does happen, Geno will be surprised for sure.

Oldbones

Hates Surprises
Reaction Score
ND was the semi-final. The final that season was against Louisville - the game where Doty elbowed Bria Smith and then Reed threw Stef to the floor late in the game and Jude Schimmel proved to us that it is possible to pick up 3 fouls quicker than ONO or Batouly and of course Heather Buck's big senior moment at the end.
That wouldn't be the same senior moment that I have so regularly...………………….

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
It's only going to get worse unless we step up our recruiting and stop putting all the eggs in one basket. We can no longer just go after the top players in the class too much competition now days.
Soooo, we should recruit worse players and that is going make us better????

I I think things are going to get real bad around here next year with no incoming front court players to replace our two seniors. We are going to be real small next year . Less height than this year.
We might actually be taller next year (possibly), at least the starting line up.

Trade out Samuelson (6-3) and Collier (6-1) for ONO (6-4) and Camara (6-2)

Reaction Score
Won't Camara be out of eligibility at the end of the season?

Reaction Score

We might actually be taller next year (possibly), at least the starting line up.

Too bad height doesn't do it all. Camara as a starter in place of Collier? Trading nearly 20 points a game for 2 or 3? Come on. Camara can't play 10 minutes without fouling out. If she is healthy, that is.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
“I think some people sometimes get this impression that at UConn we have magic dust and our kids are all perfect players and all great students and they all shoot great and it’s just a matter of how much we’re going to win by,” Auriemma said. “It's taken for granted, I think. When you realize how hard it is, you would appreciate even more what we've done. It’s not as easy as we make it look at times. You're allowed to get beat once in a while. What fun would it be if you won all the time? It would be an exhibition. We could save the plane fare. We could call you up, ask you what you wanted the score to be, and we could stay home. If you show up, you have to be ready to accept losing. We don't lose a lot.”

The best part of the loss, from my view, is that maybe some of our more, um, well, arrogant fans might be a bit more cautious before trashing other programs.

https://news.google.com/articles/CBMikQFodHRwczovL3d3dy5jb3VyYW50LmNvbS9zcG9ydHMvdWNvbm4td29tZW5zLWJhc2tldGJhbGwvaGMtc3AtdWNvbm4td29tZW5zLWJhc2tldGJhbGwtYmF5bG9yLWNvbHVtbi0yMDE5MDEwNC0ycGtocm9oZnd2YXVybHJveHFkdXZ4bzd0ZS1zdG9yeS5odG1s0gHoAWh0dHBzOi8vd3d3LWNvdXJhbnQtY29tLmNkbi5hbXBwcm9qZWN0Lm9yZy92L3Mvd3d3LmNvdXJhbnQuY29tL3Nwb3J0cy91Y29ubi13b21lbnMtYmFza2V0YmFsbC9oYy1zcC11Y29ubi13b21lbnMtYmFza2V0YmFsbC1iYXlsb3ItY29sdW1uLTIwMTkwMTA0LTJwa2hyb2hmd3ZhdXJscm94cWR1dnhvN3RlLXN0b3J5Lmh0bWw_b3V0cHV0VHlwZT1hbXAmYW1wX2pzX3Y9MC4xI3dlYnZpZXc9MSZjYXA9c3dpcGU?hl=en-US&gl=US&ceid=US:en

Where some people are totally unrealistic is thinking that being unbeaten is normal even in an NC year . Baylor deserved to win, but I still like our chances against them on a neutral court. They shot jumpers much better than normal and we were worse. I'm a little disappointed that we didn't make their big kids chase us on defense a little more.

But regardless of how this year turns out, boy do we need some help for next year from some late recruits with some experience, clearly up front and another shooter wouldn't hurt. KLS and NC take a lot of pressure off the others on O. Maybe Griffin will bring more to the table than freshman usually do. ONO has a way to go, at least against better competition. Even with a great supporting cast, a freshman as clearly talented as Williams is a bit up and down, but did show some serious ice water in her veins on the last few minutes last night. Fans of other programs would love to have the kinds of problems we suffer through.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Too bad height doesn't do it all. Camara as a starter in place of Collier? Trading nearly 20 points a game for 2 or 3? Come on. Camara can't play 10 minutes without fouling out. If she is healthy, that is.
Follow along, we were talking about height, not talent.

Reaction Score
Well maybe...I see Camara, witvh a little playing time, scoring in the 10 -15 range and not fouling any more than any othere player. I believe she has the maturity to "get it" regarding fouls and the skill set to really contribute offensively. Has she shown it yet ? No. I think she is putting so much pressure on herself to excel she has become her own worst enemy. Talk to her, coach her and play her. I believe she will respond. (As long as the knee holds up)

Reaction Score

https://news.google.com/articles/CBMikQFodHRwczovL3d3dy5jb3VyYW50LmNvbS9zcG9ydHMvdWNvbm4td29tZW5zLWJhc2tldGJhbGwvaGMtc3AtdWNvbm4td29tZW5zLWJhc2tldGJhbGwtYmF5bG9yLWNvbHVtbi0yMDE5MDEwNC0ycGtocm9oZnd2YXVybHJveHFkdXZ4bzd0ZS1zdG9yeS5odG1s0gHoAWh0dHBzOi8vd3d3LWNvdXJhbnQtY29tLmNkbi5hbXBwcm9qZWN0Lm9yZy92L3Mvd3d3LmNvdXJhbnQuY29tL3Nwb3J0cy91Y29ubi13b21lbnMtYmFza2V0YmFsbC9oYy1zcC11Y29ubi13b21lbnMtYmFza2V0YmFsbC1iYXlsb3ItY29sdW1uLTIwMTkwMTA0LTJwa2hyb2hmd3ZhdXJscm94cWR1dnhvN3RlLXN0b3J5Lmh0bWw_b3V0cHV0VHlwZT1hbXAmYW1wX2pzX3Y9MC4xI3dlYnZpZXc9MSZjYXA9c3dpcGU?hl=en-US&gl=US&ceid=US:en
This needed to be said. On the recent thread " Losing to Baylor might benefit Uconn" I stated that it would benefit the fans far more than it would the team.

Reaction Score

they are taller...................so you like that trade? BTW I believe Ms. Camara has to decide if she wants to go through another brutal basketball season.............she's got many interests outside of basketball so there is no guarantee that she will return...............

Reaction Score

If we don’t win it all I’m sure there’s a reason for Camara to stick around, unless she wants to go pro. I think Irwin or Coombs is the likely 5th starter along with Liv, be right now there wouldn’t be any size off the bench if Irwin starts and Camara decides not to return. I think CD and Williams will be the best back court in the country, and maybe Geno will let Williams take over the offense like Maya did her senior year. I remember a few years back Muffet saying getting Brittany Mallory to stay gor a 5th year was one of her hardest recruiting jobs ever, maybe Geno will be saying the same if Camara comes back.

Reaction Score
If we don’t win it all I’m sure there’s a reason for Camara to stick around, unless she wants to go pro. I think Irwin or Coombs is the likely 5th starter along with Liv, be right now there wouldn’t be any size off the bench if Irwin starts and Camara decides not to return. I think CD and Williams will be the best back court in the country, and maybe Geno will let Williams take over the offense like Maya did her senior year. I remember a few years back Muffet saying getting Brittany Mallory to stay gor a 5th year was one of her hardest recruiting jobs ever, maybe Geno will be saying the same if Camara comes back.

I think the health of her knees will be a major factor............I'm not sure she'll stick around if she can't play up to her abilities...............it's already been a long road.........

Reaction Score

Right Arm!

Reaction Score

I think we need balanced classes. I know what the OP is talking about. Yes we need to recruit top talent that would fit the UConn system but we also need some players in that 15-50 best players in HS to compliment the premium talent.

Reaction Score

I'm not so sure. It certainly hasn't stopped fans of other, less successful program from trashing UConn.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom