Realistic Season Expectations? What Metrics Define Success | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Realistic Season Expectations? What Metrics Define Success

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
What is success; yeah I’ll go with no more than one blowout, beating our FCS opponent handily, four wins and a lot of competitive games played out to the last possession.

Then there will be stage two, in December did we play in a way that produces a net gain in the portal. Did we show enough that to bring more dudes to our program in 2023. We need to show something because right now Mora is getting the honeymoon lift and next off season he will have to sell his actual results and scheme.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Honestly, at this point I just want the first play from scrimmage to not be a busted handoff. And then go from there.
Going to be a two tight end set with play action and a sideline bomb.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
I don't think this will happen, but if we get smacked by Utah St- say 45-0. What will be your reaction to Mora and the season?

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Your're kidding right? It's obviously the coaching. Isn't that what we've all been screaming about for the last decade?

Edsall v2.0 was awful in large part due to his recruiting. There is a massive talent gap between our rosters the last few years and teams 60 through say 100.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
I don't think this will happen, but if we get smacked by Utah St- say 45-0. What will be your reaction to Mora and the season?
I will look at the CCSU game to see how Mora adjusts. A blow out on the road week one could happen, and I wont panic. I will panic if in the second game we don't look totally different against inferior competition with this roster and these new coaches. I plan to put more stock into week 2.

Reaction Score

Getting shutout would be a massive disappointment. We have good talent at the skill positions and a young offensive coordinator with promise. At the very least our QB's should be able to run. Zero points would not be good and like you said doubtful that happens.

Reaction Score
Talk about deja vu. It feels like the same conversation every year. Last year it was adjusting to the heat in Fresno. Today the altitude in Utah? How confident was everyone after getting slapped by Fresno that we would bounce back against Holy Cross? There are bad teams every year in FBS. We are one of those bad teams and have been for a while. Other fans see us on their team's schedule and say "that's a win."

While I agree that the expectations and success criteria should be at least a winning season, the reality is maybe this team is incrementally better. But then again, maybe not - especially against a tougher schedule this year. Love all the stuff Mora has been doing, but I won't believe any of it until I see it on the field. And that is all I am hoping for - something to give me real hope for this program for the future.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Going to be a two tight end set with play action and a sideline bomb.
It that pass actually makes it airborne (nevermind caught) we'll be ahead of last year!

Reaction Score
Then there will be stage two, in December did we play in a way that produces a net gain in the portal. Did we show enough that to bring more dudes to our program in 2023. We need to show something because right now Mora is getting the honeymoon lift and next off season he will have to sell his actual results and scheme.
This is the biggest issue to watch in my opinion. Objectively we all know this team is going to struggle to go .500 next year. Coach Mora is doing and saying all the right things right now which is great but then the season happens. What we absolutely need is for him to still reel in talent even if the team doesn’t do well next year.

My hope is that even if they aren’t good, he can tell a transfer kid “Look at giordine - he transferred here and ended up on an NFL team”. Victories like that would be huge.

Reaction Score
4-8 I would be happy. 6 wins and Mora should be coach of the year. The cupboard is not bare, but the depth is not there, so if injuries become an issue I can see us winning 3 games or less

Reaction Score
I would think we could adjust to 4500 feet quickly. I’ve never noticed much of anything below 8000 feet.
Try running five miles at a 6 minute pace at 4500 ft.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Try running five miles at a 6 minute pace at 4500 ft.
I had assumed that he was joking with his comment. The air is very thin at 4,500 ft. At 8,000 ft you may need an oxygen tank.

Reaction Score
Everyone who watched the game.

But only if you define talent as speed, strength and having football knowledge to play your position well .

Army skill position players were light years better than UConn
Army players tough and smart- That's what you want from West Point cadets

Reaction Score
I had assumed that he was joking with his comment. The air is very thin at 4,500 ft. At 8,000 ft you may need an oxygen tank.
It's not that bad, I lived at 8000 for three years and newcomers would get winded on stairs and have headaches but no one needed oxygen. 4500 feet is lower than Denver.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
It's not that bad, I lived at 8000 for three years and newcomers would get winded on stairs and have headaches but no one needed oxygen. 4500 feet is lower than Denver.
How easily will a team that spent the summer in Storrs Ct adapt to 4,500 ft elevation? The football players will do a lot of running in short bursts, not climbing stairs.

Reaction Score
1. A loss, even a bad one at UState won’t mean much. I sort of wish we opened with Central but such is the life of an Indy. Building as the season progresses will be important, and I think the back end of the schedule is much more manageable than the front, which makes that more feasible.

I was struck by 1 comment by Mora though. He has said a few times that he expects to be better than last year as he has been at other places. This is a guy who has won at a very high level so he knows what he is talking about.

Reaction Score
I would not be surprised if we give up 45 points. We been led to expect that.

I would be upset if we do not reach the end zone. It's way too easy to score in college football to be so inept on offense.

Reaction Score
A successful season is one where you play in a post-season game. Anything less is not a successful season. So what a lot of you guys are proposing is a "shows improvement" season or better yet, a "reasonable expectation" season. It really bothers me when you guys claim 3 or 4 wins is successful. It's not. It only means you didn't suck as bad as last year.

For me this upcoming season reasonable expectations would be better ball movement on offense. Getting the ball out of the backfield a lot faster than in previous years. More sustained drives. A much better third and short percentage. More pressure on the opposing QB. I also reasonably expect at least 4 wins and the reason being that guys are coming in(Portal Power!!) with college ball experience already. You just got a guy, admittedly from community college but that still trumps a kid just out of high school. The guy is a 6'2" 205lb db who's already played at some type of college level. Not a 5'10" 175lb true freshman that still needs to adjust to college life before even thinking about football.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
A successful season is one where you play in a post-season game. Anything less is not a successful season. So what a lot of you guys are proposing is a "shows improvement" season or better yet, a "reasonable expectation" season. It really bothers me when you guys claim 3 or 4 wins is successful. It's not. It only means you didn't suck as bad as last year.

For me this upcoming season reasonable expectations would be better ball movement on offense. Getting the ball out of the backfield a lot faster than in previous years. More sustained drives. A much better third and short percentage. More pressure on the opposing QB. I also reasonably expect at least 4 wins and the reason being that guys are coming in(Portal Power!!) with college ball experience already. You just got a guy, admittedly from community college but that still trumps a kid just out of high school. The guy is a 6'2" 205lb db who's already played at some type of college level. Not a 5'10" 175lb true freshman that still needs to adjust to college life before even thinking about football.
So you are predicting an unsuccessful season?

Reaction Score
There are 5 "must wins"- games that a competent FBS team with full scholarships should win.
CCSU, FIU, Ball State, UMass, Army.

Then there are 4 "might wins" games this team could steal if everything goes right.
Utah State, Cuse, BC, Liberty

Then there are 3 no chance beatdowns, Michigan, Fresno State and NC State.

Success is measured by how many we win from Group 1 and if we can steal one win from Group 2.

Your opinion of the relative opponent strength is not the point so don't bother.
You are smoking some good stuff if you think UConn has 5 must wins on the schedule. I will consider the season a huge success if the team shows improvement each week, limit injuries, and win 2 games.

Reaction Score
If Mora bombs, re-hire Randy. He'd pick up the phone and say yes before you could finish dialing his number. Or maybe try Luke Fickell. As many here have suggested, he's just itching to leave Cincy.

Reaction Score
So you are predicting an unsuccessful season?
I'm not predicting anything. I'm saying based on the upgraded coaching staff(and I believe Mora is much better suited for the head coaching job than Edsall was) and the recruiting so far they should win at least 4, the offense should be able to move the ball more and we should be able to see more pressure on the opposing QB. Does 4 wins amount to a successful season. No. Anything less than a bowl game is not a successful season. Can they get there? Anything is possible but my gut says at least 4 and we'll see what happens from there.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom