Realistic Season Expectations? What Metrics Define Success | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Realistic Season Expectations? What Metrics Define Success

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Lol. A competent FBS team we are not..yet at least.

Could read hundreds of posts since 2010 that read exactly the same.

I'm pretty sure I've posted something similar every year since 2012.

Hoping for 3 wins, means I'm wasting my time following this team. Given the turnover in CFB and the narrow gaps between teams 60 and 130, I don't think it's too much to expect that with a little smarts and the right attitude, a big jump from 1-2 wins is possible regardless of whether or not we have a massive talent upgrade.

I won't be happy with 3 wins. I feel sorry for those with such low expectations or fear of failure.

Reaction Score
Jaundiced eye view. One win in the first half. Two wins in the second half. Could go to four W's total, even 5, but I will stick with 3 as most likely. This could also change if other players come on board that show they are game changfers. Freshmen or transfers who have not yet arrived.

I have no fear of failure. If they fail it won't be because I screwed up.

Reaction Score
Do you have anything better to do than start a pis Sing contest over one of the best pickups Coach Mora has had here? BTW, I said “maybe” and you said “I don’t know”. CA. I saw the kid play in HS at New Canaan, he’s a terrific OL.
I’m not trying to start an argument, I just have my reservations. We can all agree all of the recruits we have had that have come through UConn have played well in high school or else we wouldn’t have recruited them. When it comes to recruiting it’s a hit or miss just because a kid played well in x place in high school does not mean he will do well in college. These kids aren’t competing against kids from their high school anymore but with stellar athletes from different high schools from different states. And sorry to say but there are some kids on the team that played in higher level of competition in high school than some others on our team from powerhouse states who have the advantage coming in because of development and skill. The expectation is for those kids to develop well and see the field early on but that’s not always the case because a kid from a small town with no offers can be better than a kid who had impressive D1 offers from high school. Offer list are impressive but does not always mean that kid will be a definite contributor right away.

Last edited:

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score

Hoping for 3 wins, means I'm wasting my time following this team. Given the turnover in CFB and the narrow gaps between teams 60 and 130, I don't think it's too much to expect that with a little smarts and the right attitude, a big jump from 1-2 wins is possible regardless of whether or not we have a massive talent upgrade.

I won't be happy with 3 wins. I feel sorry for those with such low expectations or fear of failure.

You basically made a list of "wins" based on teams that we would have beaten in 2007 and aren't being that realistic. If the gap between 60 and 130 is so close then why the hell have we won 2 or 3 games every season for the last decade?

Reaction Score
I’m not trying to start an argument, I just have my reservations. We can all agree all of the recruits we have had that have come through UConn have played well in high school or else we wouldn’t have recruited them. When it comes to recruiting it’s a hit or miss just because a kid played well in x place in high school does not mean he will do well in college. These kids aren’t competing against kids from their high school anymore but with stellar athletes from different high schools from different states. And sorry to say but there are some kids on the team that played in higher level of competition in high school than some others on our team from powerhouse states who have the advantage coming in because of development and skill. The expectation is for those kids to develop well and see the field early on but that’s not always the case because a kid from a small town with no offers can be better than a kid who had impressive D1 offers from high school. Offer list are impressive but does not always mean that kid will be a definite contributor right away.
I had my reservations too, when I said “maybe”, but you jumped all over me anyway.

Reaction Score
Didn’t sound like he was starting an argument, just stating his opinion. The fact that Stewart didn’t make the two deep does bring up some questions. Doesn’t mean he won’t be a significant contributor, but it is more than reasonable to have reservations about his impact.
Yes it does. He said “I don’t know about by a lot” and I said “maybe by a lot”. Meaning we both had some reservations and I don’t see the difference.

Reaction Score
Schedule is murderous. Must beat CCSU and Utah State to get out of the box with some confidence, otherwise it’s going to be another slow slide into depression ending in helpless resignation like every other season before.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
Schedule is murderous. Must beat CCSU and Utah State to get out of the box with some confidence, otherwise it’s going to be another slow slide into depression ending in helpless resignation like every other season before.
I am surprised people think UConn will win it's first game under a new head coach with mostly new players including a new quarterback...on the road... against last year's Mountain West champion who went 10-3.

Yes they lost some players...but they have continuity with the same head coach and they are playing at home. If UConn wins that game it will be a big upset.

I am not saying they can't win, I am just saying it's unlikely. And I really hope people aren't disappointed if UConn starts the season out with a loss.

Reaction Score
I am surprised people think UConn will win it's first game under a new head coach with mostly new players including a new quarterback...on the road... against last year's Mountain West champion who went 10-3.

Yes they lost some players...but they have continuity with the same head coach and they are playing at home. If UConn wins that game it will be a big upset.

I am not saying they can't win, I am just saying it's unlikely. And I really hope people aren't disappointed if UConn starts the season out with a loss.
I agree. This is a very tough opening game. I am guessing we will be a 17 point dog.

Reaction Score

You think UConn will lose?

Reaction Score
I must confess I'd be disappointed with 3 wins or less. Not sure how I'd feel about 4. I'd be very happy with 5 or more.
Jim Mora knows how to lead a team. I think we’ll win win 4 or 5, and with luck maybe a couple more. I especially like who we’re playing at home and who we are playing away.

cttxus

The CT-TX-US Connection: Historic, Alive and Well
Reaction Score
FWIW, one thing that's encouraging to me is how many non-frequent UConn Football posters are posting here now (I guess I'm sort of one). Players visit here and I'm sure to have this level of positive fan interest has to be encouraging.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
You basically made a list of "wins" based on teams that we would have beaten in 2007 and aren't being that realistic. If the gap between 60 and 130 is so close then why the hell have we won 2 or 3 games every season for the last decade?
Your're kidding right? It's obviously the coaching. Isn't that what we've all been screaming about for the last decade?

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
You think UConn will lose?
Well....of course we have no idea how this team will play yet.

But like another poster said....UConn will probably be a 15 to 20 point underdog. Yes....I think they will lose. But...I hope they win.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
People are really underestimating how much firepower Utah St lost on the offensive side of the ball. They won’t be close to the team they were last yr
Utah St has been a solid program recently. What concerns me more is that Logan Utah is 4,500 ft above sea level. We can't replicate that elevation and I doubt we'll be able to spend more than a few days there prior to the game.

We will need to rotate in a ton of players throughout the game (as they will get gassed quicker than normal) and I really don't think our depth or cohesiveness will be up to the challenge.

Of course I want to see us win. Hell, in any game we play that they are keeping score (in any sport) I want to end with the better score. I just think we need to be realistic about where we are in relation to some of our opponents. Utah St (and Army, who are far better than Pal claimed on a different post) are at a level we aren't yet able to match.

Reaction Score
Utah St has been a solid program recently. What concerns me more is that Logan Utah is 4,500 ft above sea level. We can't replicate that elevation and I doubt we'll be able to spend more than a few days there prior to the game.

We will need to rotate in a ton of players throughout the game (as they will get gassed quicker than normal) and I really don't think our depth or cohesiveness will be up to the challenge.

Of course I want to see us win. Hell, in any game we play that they are keeping score (in any sport) I want to end with the better score. I just think we need to be realistic about where we are in relation to some of our opponents. Utah St (and Army, who are far better than Pal claimed on a different post) are at a level we aren't yet able to match.

I would think we could adjust to 4500 feet quickly. I’ve never noticed much of anything below 8000 feet.

Reaction Score

Agree 100%. Don’t feel sorry for those with with lower expectations. They call themselves “realists” and see the true picture while we, the hopeful dreamers with an optimistic outlook are setting up themselves for disappointment.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
I must confess I'd be disappointed with 3 wins or less. Not sure how I'd feel about 4. I'd be very happy with 5 or more.
This is pretty much where I am. Like all of us, I have no idea how Jim Mora’s leadership style will translate to wins. He has seemed impressive so far, making smart decisions with apparently boundless energy, but our current personnel is only going to take us so far. What that combination means wins is really anyone’s guess right now.

Reaction Score
The eye test will be big. Just be more competitive. It'd be nice if most games weren't over in the second quarter. Looking at the schedule, I think 3 wins is pretty realistic. More than that would be very encouraging to me. Mostly though, let's just go out there and hang with some teams. Make things interesting at the end with a chance to pull out a win.

Side note: If we start the year off 1-5 but the one win is over Syracuse, I'd be fine with that. :)
Something resembling kind of what we saw in Illinois home game a couple of years ago with capable defense and offense on a consistent basis would be a great start.

Reaction Score
This is pretty much where I am. Like all of us, I have no idea how Jim Mora’s leadership style will translate to wins. He has seemed impressive so far, making smart decisions with apparently boundless energy, but our current personnel is only going to take us so far. What that combination means wins is really anyone’s guess right now.
I think with better coaching UCONN could have won 1 or 2 more games last season. If Coach Mora and staff show they are better coaches I can see stealing a win or 2 this season.

Reaction Score
I want to see them competitive in those mid tier games. BC, Syracuse for example. That will be telling. I expect them to lose but if they could keep it under 3 tds in those games I actually see that as positive progress.

The problem with last season was that not only were they destroyed in some games, they were getting destroyed by 3rd stringers and walk ons in the second halves of some of those games. That was what was most discouraging.

Reaction Score
I want to see them competitive in those mid tier games. BC, Syracuse for example. That will be telling. I expect them to lose but if they could keep it under 3 tds in those games I actually see that as positive progress.

The problem with last season was that not only were they destroyed in some games, they were getting destroyed by 3rd stringers and walk ons in the second halves of some of those games. That was what was most discouraging.
Agreed, no blowouts this season along with 4 wins would be an unqualified success.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom