Realistic Expectations This Season | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Realistic Expectations This Season

wheelerdog

#OneForTheThumb
Reaction Score
I think it's going to take time for these guys to jell. Lots of new faces, guys coming off injuries, no fans, etc.

Making the tourney is a successful season.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
For me as a fan, the minimum goal is ncaa tourney, stretch goal would be elite 8+. Sweet 16 seems like it could be within reach
I think a team with as much talent as we have want to have a goal of playing the second weekend.

UC1995

Back to Basics!
Reaction Score
WE have a really high bar this year, I don't think we have a limit to our potential but with transfers and not really knowing other teams right now I have no idea which matchups would be our biggest headaches that take us out of our game.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
The Dream Season team went from winning the NIT the prior year to making it to the Final 4. So its definitely possible. This team has the right mix of talent, experience, and depth to make a deep run.
It's not just that you got the FF wrong or that you missed the year in-between. It's that the year in-between was so disappointing that if there was a Boneyard then, I swear half the posters would be saying that JC wasn't the guy.

Reaction Score
It's not just that you got the FF wrong or that you missed the year in-between. It's that the year in-between was so disappointing that if there was a Boneyard then, I swear half the posters would be saying that JC wasn't the guy.

I done wrong. :rolleyes:

BUT they did go to the semi-finals of the NIT in 88-89 and had a 18-13 record.

The next season was the Dream Season. Which underscores my point that a team can go from “ok” to great in one season.

So not sorry.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Y'all are going to hate me for saying this but I think our biggest question mark this year is can Bouk live up to the insane amount of hype he's getting. To be clear, I'm on that train and he deserves the hype. But if at the end of this season we look back and say man we really missed and that didn't have anything to do with injuries it will be because Bouk didn't live up to the hype. Kid has a ton of potential but he's going from being just another player on an average team that both showed a ton of promise down the stretch to being mentioned as a possible All American and Lottery pick this year. Again I think it's deserved and most likely Bouk is a star this year but would it really be all that unlikely for a hyped up Sophomore to not reach his full potential as he grows into this being "his team." If we are being fair and honest I think there is as good a chance of him being back next year after a good but not great Sophomore season as there is of him being an unquestioned leader of a young team where he became a star and ends up a lottery pick. Having "lock" expectations of the latter isn't really fair to the kid. Even if he is just 'good' though I still think with all the talent we have this is a borderline second weekend team.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Absolute minimum is a return to the NCAA Tournament. I'll go further and say we win a game.

I honestly don't know enough about the other teams, but I have a hard timing thinking that there are more than a handful of teams with more talent. Of course luck is involved, and leadership, and in a covid season with few or no fans, how do those players react? Does a team like Kansas play as well in AFH as they normally do?

The depth on this team is incredible, and I think that really bodes well for a season where guys might test positive and miss a few games. We can replace anybody on this team except Bouknight without much drop-off. That is valuable. I think Sweet 16 to a possible Elite 8 run is on the table. Beyond that it depends on match-ups and how the chips fall.

ColchVEGAS

Still buckin like five, deuce, four, trey.
Reaction Score
A return to the tournament and sweet 16 appearance. With the depth this team has they for sure can go further than the sweet 16 depending on matchups. I think a lot will come down to the in season progression of Sanogo and Springs up front.

Reaction Score
big east finals- ambitious
semis- i think there’s a very good chance

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I am thinking we could be top 3 in BE and hopefully make it to the Sweet 16.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
This team tics a lot of boxes. I may be feeling some irrational exuberance.

I don't think it's irrational. This does tick off a bunch a boxes without adding in Akok, Adams, Springs or Brown.

Taking Hurley's comments from today nine healthy players who he thinks can contribute- Gaff, Cole, Bouk, Jackson, Martin, Polley, Whaley, Sanogo, Carlton. Out of those 9, Carlton, and maybe Cole are the only ones who can only one position. There's a bunch of versatility, length and athleticism on the wings with Martin, Polley, Jackson and even Whaley.

So, I hoist a cold brew celebrating with you and to you celebrating your exuberance.

Reaction Score
When I coached people would ask me what my expectations were and I would answer by saying I go into every game expecting to win so I guess I expect us to go undefeated. Same with us for this year.

glastonbury50

You Enjoy Myself
Reaction Score
Interesting angle. I’d say JC‘s strength was the latter, but he was no slouch at the former.

I’d be happy with the same from Hurley, but I think he can be expected to absolutely lose his mind at a few points this season because he’s so intense and he may go into overdrive with this many toys. It will be fun to watch. A good problem to have for a change—as long as we see it that way. There will be bumps in the road and our fanbase can be vicious when our expectations are raised; most interesting may be seeing how thick his skin is.
Hurley is extremely intense. I know a Doctor who works with the men's basketball team. He said that DH is the most intense person he's ever met. That's coming from a brain surgeon. If someone will put in the work it's Hurley.

glastonbury50

You Enjoy Myself
Reaction Score
Y'all are going to hate me for saying this but I think our biggest question mark this year is can Bouk live up to the insane amount of hype he's getting.
100% agree. I think he has an amazing year and probably goes first round but a lot of people saying he is easily the best player in the nbe. I hope so but those are high expectations and theyre not guaranteed.

Reaction Score
For me as a fan, the minimum goal is ncaa tourney, stretch goal would be elite 8+. Sweet 16 seems like it could be within reach

Exactly my thinking. The floor is making the tournament. I deeply believe they will.

A rational goal would Sweet 16.

The ceiling is TBD. E8 or FF will be tough given our inexperience in tournament situations. I sense
uniquely special in this group though. Wishing we had fans in the seats bc this team will be unusually high octane.

Reaction Score
First, can we get our season schedule posted!

Second, let's have a season.

Third, lets win it all!

Reaction Score
I can't put a limit on a team that makes it to the dance, especially one like ours with our depth. It's unlikely we win it all but it could happen. More likely sweet 16 imo.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom