Realistic Expectations This Season | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Realistic Expectations This Season

Reaction Score
This team was really close last year... 5 OT games, only won 1. Still went 19-12. Other close games: 3pt L to Indiana, 6pt L to Nova, 4pt L to Houston, 4Pt L to SMU. That’s 8 losses decided by 2 possessions or less.

Reaction Score
Riding our defense all the way to the championship. I think we can confuse, harass, and demoralize with our d and then splash explosive offensive plays.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
This is pretty hard to say. Obviously the tournament is the goal, but nobody has any idea what Hurley can do with this level of talent. We have no idea if he can squeeze the juice out of it or if his forte is getting the best out of lesser talent.

He's never had a team like this so it will be interesting to see how he does.

Reaction Score
Ceiling:
3rd place finish in the BE
BE tourney runner up
Sweet 16

Floor:
5th or 6th place finish in the BE
second round loss in BE tourney (5th seed has first round bye)
9 or 10 seed in ncaa tourney
first round ncaa tourney loss

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Make the tournament. I'll hope we win some games after but nobody on this team has postseason experience so it's a big question mark

Reaction Score
What is everyone's prediction for this upcoming season? Looking through their roster, this has to be the best assembly of talent on the men's side since 2014. As a recreational bettor, 80/1 to win it all seems...off, but curious to hear what other people think.
Realistic? The last couple times we were favored we fell on our faces while the last two times no one expected much we won the whole thing. A title is as possible this season and any. I want #5!!!

Curiouser
Reaction Score
This is pretty hard to say. Obviously the tournament is the goal, but nobody has any idea what Hurley can do with this level of talent. We have no idea if he can squeeze the juice out of it or if his forte is getting the best out of lesser talent.

He's never had a team like this so it will be interesting to see how he does.
Interesting angle. I’d say JC‘s strength was the latter, but he was no slouch at the former.

I’d be happy with the same from Hurley, but I think he can be expected to absolutely lose his mind at a few points this season because he’s so intense and he may go into overdrive with this many toys. It will be fun to watch. A good problem to have for a change—as long as we see it that way. There will be bumps in the road and our fanbase can be vicious when our expectations are raised; most interesting may be seeing how thick his skin is.

Reaction Score
Making it back to the NCAAs has to be the bare minimum realistic expectation; I'd like to see us make it to the second weekend just to have the experience to build on for 2021-22.

I don't think it is realistic to expect us to go from a multi-year absence to running the table.

The Dream Season team went from winning the NIT the prior year to making it to the Final 4. So its definitely possible. This team has the right mix of talent, experience, and depth to make a deep run.

Reaction Score
On one hand I want to be realistic: finish over .500 in conference play, make the Sweet 16, etc.

On the other hand, college basketball has been a disaster for years and there haven't been great teams in a long time. The parity is unreal these days; any team can win it all, including us.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
The Dream Season team went from winning the NIT the prior year to making it to the Final 4. So its definitely possible. This team has the right mix of talent, experience, and depth to make a deep run.
I was there then. Winning the NIT was no small accomplishment. No player on this team has ever played in a single post-season game.

Reaction Score
Would like to see how practice goes first... If ok and no major injuries during the season.. Elite 8 as a launching pad..

Reaction Score
Best case scenario for me is a 4 seed in the tournament, sweet sixteen maybe elite 8. Realistically i think should definitely be a tournament team with a single digit and at least win a game. I’d be slightly disappointed with the realistic scenario I think.

Reaction Score
With an AA guard like Bouknight, and a bevy of options at the other positions, my expectations are getting into the top 25(and staying there), and making the S16. We won't have a Bouknignt for the season after that, so we better make this count.
Andre might be the second coming of Bouknight

Reaction Score
I think there's much more talent on this roster than UConn has had in a while. I know, not exactly a hot take.

My biggest concern with this season is the inexperience of the roster. Not as much in actually playing NCAA basketball (7 players back and Cole and Martin have 2 D1 seasons under their belts), but with everyone playing with each other.

The team has 6 new players who haven't played with the team yet - Cole, Martin, Jackson, Brown, Sanogo and Springs (who at least got to practice for a year with the team).

Bouknight has played 1 season (26 minutes per game (mpg) in 28 games)
Gaffney has played 1 season (19 mpg in 31 games)
Akok has played 1 season (cut short but still 28 mpg in 25 games)

Polley, Carlton and Whaley are seniors and Adams is a junior. No worries about any experience playing together with those guys.

Add to all this that Polley and Akok are coming off major injuries. They should be fine but will it take them a while to get back to normal?

So my main concern is with chemistry and how everything meshes. If everything goes well this team is going to be really good. But we may see some growing pains along the way until everyone gets comfortable in their roles and they learn to play with each other.

Reaction Score
I doubt we're going into any game this year where the other team has somebody better than Bouknight, that's a pretty great place to start. We have serious depth and talent, it's all going to be about establishing the roles and figuring out how to close games out. The tournament and I don't put a ceiling on them.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Just making the Dance would have me dancing
This team will get better as the year progresses
There will be bumps in the road but I see too much talent to foresee any collapse

Reaction Score
Optimistic but realistic: Top 3-4 finish in Big East, win atleast 2 games in the NCAA tournament.
In our first year back in BE: win atleast one each vs old rivals PC, SHU, and Nova (projected top 5) and sweep both Gtown and SJU (bottom 3).

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom