OT: - Realignment? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT: Realignment?

Reaction Score
Having Kansas join the Big East for basketball would be a pipe dream, but I have trouble seeing them going to a basketball-only conference and then joining a different conference (or going independent) for football.

But back to the pipe dream:

Big East West: Kansas, Creighton, Marquette, DePaul, Butler, Xavier (630 miles from Kansas to Xavier)

Big East...East?: Georgetown, Villanova, Seton Hall, St. John's, UConn, Providence (420 miles from Georgetown to Providence).

I mean, those divisions look bellisimo!

Reaction Score
This is like re-arranging the deck chairs on the titanic, but not even doing it, just talking about it with no real intent to move any chairs.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Here’s the quote “Most of those scenarios have involved four superconferences of 16 schools each”

I don't have access to the article but I don't see this stopping with 4 16 school conferences, not by a longshot. In this wild west atmosphere where all that matters is money what's to stop the behemoths from just teaming up and getting rid of all the scraps?

Reaction Score
As I said on the "Conference Realignment Board", I believe the future will look like something akin to the Knight Commission recommendations where the elite football programs form their own football-only entity completely independent of the NCAA.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Houston-BYU-Cincy are the only schools that make real strategic sense.

Disagree - a little.

UCF likely makes the most sense given that the conference has a footprint issue with their upcoming television renegotiation.

I am guessing they take four schools.

UCF, Cincy and BYU would seem to make the most sense, but BYU comes with some issues that they might not want to deal with. Houston might have some political issues…I don’t think the Texas schools want anything to do with them.

So maybe UCF and Cincy are heavy favorites. BYU and Houston are the second rung. USF might be a dark horse if they decide to make a play for Florida by taking both UCF and USF.

Reaction Score
Disagree - a little.

UCF likely makes the most sense given that the conference has a footprint issue with their upcoming television renegotiation.

I am guessing they take four schools.

UCF, Cincy and BYU would seem to make the most sense, but BYU comes with some issues that they might not want to deal with. Houston might have some political issues…I don’t think the Texas schools want anything to do with them.

So maybe UCF and Cincy are heavy favorites. BYU and Houston are the second rung. USF might be a dark horse if they decide to make a play for Florida by taking both UCF and USF.
I'm with you on the BYU thing: in theory a good option, in practice a real PINA.

Cincy makes sense. They give WVU a travel partner while providing recent basketball and football success.

I'm not aware of much with Houston politically, so perhaps you're correct there.

The two directional Florida schools seem like they have been, time and again, schools that will offer great upside and access to Florida's rich recruiting while being in big markets. Yet I don't think they've really panned out that way, and UCF rises and falls with coaches in a way similar to most flash in the pans. They don't bring ratings, they don't seem to help the recruiting, and they'd be off on an island. It overlaps a lot with Houston, in this, except Houston is in the footprint and has longer success in key sports as well as histories with the remaining SWC B12 members.

Maybe they strike into a different direction, though, and pull a surprise candidate near them. Or maybe they go with UCF. That just seems uninspired, uninteresting, and unhelpful in the near and long term.

Reaction Score
We still are on the outside looking in on P5 media rights revenue. Sure the Big East sucks less than the American but we should be scrambling to explore whether there is an opportunity here. Quietly, of course. I’m not sure we are positioned to do so with a interim President.

Minimally AD Dave should be thinking about scheduling opportunities for football.
hopefully this starts a conference domino effect that opens up a spot in either the ACC or Big10 for us.

BoukofJames

“Business. Always business.”
Reaction Score
I’m not a historian on this matter, but folks in The Athletic comment section seem to believe UConn is blackballed from the ACC because of Blumenthal’s lawsuits

Reaction Score
I’m not a historian on this matter, but folks in The Athletic comment section seem to believe UConn is blackballed from the ACC because of Blumenthal’s lawsuits
That was 16 years ago. No one is around who actually was sued or did the suing. Institutional bad bloods ends when the people who got into the tiff leave.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Media: "Boston College, Syracuse, Va Tech and West Virginia are leaving the Big East."

UConn fans: "OH MY GOD WE GOTTA LEAVE THIS RAGING DUMPSTER FIRE OF A CONFERENCE!!!!!"

Media: "UConn is now in the AAC!!"

UConn fans: "YAY!!!"

Media: "Rutgers and Louisville have left the AAC."

UConn fans: "OH MY GOD WE GOTTA LEAVE THIS RAGING DUMPSTER FIRE OF A CONFERENCE!!!!!"

Media: "UConn is joining the New Big East."

UConn fans: "Yay!!"

Media: "Texas and Oklahoma are thinking about joining the SEC."

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Media: "Boston College, Syracuse, Va Tech and West Virginia are leaving the Big East."

Media: "UConn is now in the AAC!!"

UConn fans: "YAY!!!"

Media: "Rutgers and Louisville have left the AAC."

Media: "UConn is joining the New Big East."

UConn fans: "Yay!!"

Media: "Texas and Oklahoma are thinking about joining the SEC."

Wow, you’ve managed to be both factually inaccurate and stunningly unfunny in a single post. Congrats.

Reaction Score
Wow, you’ve managed to be both factually inaccurate and stunningly unfunny in a single post. Congrats.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
Texas will quickly learn that it doesn't have the same leverage anymore.
And they will resent it so much. I think SEC has a $0 exit fee; won’t take long for UT to posture and exit.

Reaction Score
I don't have access to the article but I don't see this stopping with 4 16 school conferences, not by a longshot. In this wild west atmosphere where all that matters is money what's to stop the behemoths from just teaming up and getting rid of all the scraps?

this is my view

It is the Game of Thrones match in the Octagon. For the lucky 8 to 12. Why do 64? When you can reap greater self dealing by eliminating whomever.

CL82

Reaction Score
this is my view

It is the Game of Thrones match in the Octagon. For the lucky 8 to 12. Why do 64? When you can reap greater self dealing by eliminating whomever.
Because you need people to play against to generate wins so that you can have a battle of undefeateds.

Think of them as the extras in Game of Thrones.

CL82

Reaction Score
I have always had a feeling that Clemson would join the SEC.
No more slots unless 20 teams is the end game.

Reaction Score
this is my view

Yep, greed rules everything. The Bama's and OSU's aren't going to want to share the pie with the Vandy's and Rutger's anymore. Supreme Court ruling changed college sports and IMO effectively destroyed college sports. I hope it's just for the time being but they will have more antitrust cases in the future when the biggest schools try and ditch the rest of the schools and they try and ditch all the non-revenue sports and women's sports.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom