Real Look At next season | The Boneyard

Real Look At next season

Reaction Score
1. A banged up Lou who seems to have a penchant for getting injured.
2. A point guard with questionable legs
3. Pheesa a reliable small forward ,but has trouble with the big post players.
4. Meg who will probably be a good 3 but with minimal size and game experience
5. Two soph guards with no game experience
6. Two frosh with potential
7. Batouly , potential rebounder ,no experience
8. Two bench players

Wow ..will this be an interesting season... especially the non league games.
Rebounding and defense will be a challenge. The inability to stop the penetration and 3 pt shooting of quick guards will need to be addressed .

Reaction Score
Rebounding and defense will be a challenge. The inability to stop the penetration and 3 pt shooting of quick guards will need to be addressed .

AZ's decision to go pro is going to have a major impact on next season.........the only good news is that the two freshmen will have to grow up very quickly which I think should be a big positive if not this season then next......

Reaction Score
Sheesh Paisan no attack but really??? Great bullet points but how could you possibly leave out....
1. Currently active volcanoes.
2. Wild fires on the west coast.
3. Will Kim Jong Un start a nuclear war in the middle of basketball season?
4. The state of Connecticut is as close to bankruptcy as it gets.
5. Nation wide heroin epidemic.

I could go on but no need as in Geno & CD I trust. They may not go undefeated or win a NC but then again they may find a way to do both. That's the beauty of the game and why it is played. The guaranteed is they will play hard and as a team unlike many and be a joy to watch.
Come on in off the ledge.....;)

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
2. A point guard with questionable legs
3. Pheesa a reliable small forward ,but has trouble with the big post players.
4. Meg who will probably be a good 3 but with minimal size and game experience
5. Two soph guards with no game experience
6. Two frosh with potential
7. Batouly , potential rebounder ,no experience
8. Two bench players

If you’re this harsh on the Huskies, I’d cringe to read your analysis of the rest of the top 10.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
AZ's decision to go pro is going to have a major impact on next season....the only good news is that the two freshmen will have to grow up very quickly which I think should be a big positive if not this season then next.
The situation was even bleaker 2 seasons ago.

Z’s departure may be a blessing in disguise. While Z had some big games, she never quite developed into the dominant post presence that everyone hoped she would become, and sometimes, in the biggest games, Z’s impact was minimal.

At the same time, with Z in the post, Pheesa was never as comfortable in the offense as she was during her AA sophomore season. I have predicted that Pheesa will have a monster season as the primary focus of UConn’s offense, frequently working a two-man game with Lou at the high post.

The other silver lining to Z moving on is that it will force other Huskies to step up, specifically Touly and/or ONO.

Reaction Score
And no returning All-Americans,oh, wait...
Yes, two returning All-Americans and a top point guard. I think you could put any two Boneyarders on the court with those three and you’d win the AAC and probably make the sweet sixteen. Hopefully, Geno comes up with something better and it should be a fun season.
Paisan mentioned KLS having a “penchant for getting injured.” Somehow she has still managed to play in 104 of the 112 games in her three years.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Z’s departure may be a blessing in disguise. While Z had some big games, she never quite developed into the dominant post presence that everyone hoped she would become, and sometimes, in the biggest games, Z’s impact was minimal.

The other silver lining to Z moving on is that it will force other Huskies to step up, specifically Touly and/or ONO.

She was the difference in both the Texas and Notre Dame wins that came down to the wire. And she was the turning-point factor in the national semi but then wasn't used down the stretch by her coach.

Reaction Score
Every one of your points might be a problem and every fan here of this program and team, in the privacy of their own thoughts has worried about some of these, and maybe ten you didn't mention. So I'm not going to minimize or be sarcastic about your worries.
A good coaching staff figures out adjustments to be made, to work with or around the issues that arise every season. But it's also pretty darn clear that we might well have the greatest coaching staff put together not only in wcbb but amongst the very best in sports. I have no doubts they will have multiple plans and actions. Another very important factor is really good and great players step up when things get rough. I think there's pretty clear evidence of that already in at least three of the players. KLS probably could have had the foot / ankle injury during last season, but what would her team and teammates have looked like without her. She was by many or close to everyone's analysis still maybe amongst the top few players in the country. So if she gets hurt again, I'm sure if there's any possibility of her fighting through you have one of the toughest players, teammates around. Two might be CD who had a somewhat disappointing freshman season. She went home figured it out, busted her butt and became amongst the best point guards in the nation when fully healthy. After that while she was not the same player, she still held the team together. Thirdly, Pheesa two years ago when the Big Three left as a sophomore became a first team AA. Last year as season went along after a less than stellar start (but only in comparison to her play the prior year) came along as the season progressed. Her quiet but strong will is always evident. I assure you that at least a few of the remaining players will struggle at times but also will step up not only in individual moments and situations but in filling important and needed roles. I expect a decent soph jump for MW not the huge one we all hope for. I expect CW especially to be amongst the few freshman who make a real difference throughout the year. I expect Ono to struggle periodically especially early on but her athleticism and skill set and the need for her to be the big that's missing will drive her to have a very solid freshman season.
I will pretty much stop the individual analysis here, not that some of the others, won't play important support roles. I would like to mention one who might surprise many. Kyla Irwin, whose not the quickest or most talented player, is though a very, very smart player and one who knows what's needed and expected of her (within her skill set), has never been afraid on the court even as a freshman.
So for all the legitimate worries, here are some real, good and proven pluses.
Let's see how it plays out!
Bronx23

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
She was the difference in both the Texas and Notre Dame wins that came down to the wire. And she was the turning-point factor in the national semi but then wasn't used down the stretch by her coach.
As I indicated, Z had some big games. But on the other side of the ledger, Z was less than effective in both SC games as well as Louisville, both teams with physical post players.

I would also point out that while Z had a great 1st half in the National semifinal the reason she didn’t play down the stretch was that she was relatively ineffective in the 2nd half as MM made a defensive adjustment to neutralize her.

Reaction Score
As I indicated, Z had some big games. But on the other side of the ledger, Z was less than effective in both SC games as well as Louisville, both teams with physical post players.

I would also point out that while Z had a great 1st half in the National semifinal the reason she didn’t play down the stretch was that she was relatively ineffective in the 2nd half as MM made a defensive adjustment to neutralize her.

Hopefully ONO will be the shot blocking presence that I think she can be, otherwise you will see a lot more exploitation of the lane then we've seen in quite a while......

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
A real look at next season:
  1. Lou returning - 2x all American AND she had successful off-season surgery - we've never seen her at 100%. Watch out! Legit NPOY candidate
  2. Pheesa - smooth as silk forward - All American her sophomore year, started slow last season and finished strong, albeit not an AA. She will be battling Lou for NPOY.
  3. Crystal - one of the best PG's in the nation when healthy. Look for her to be on the short list for the Leiberman award, provided she gets the shin splints under control. A summer of recuperation along with strength conditioning, or whatever is needed, should help.
  4. Walker - showed flashes of excellence punctuated by longer periods of ineffectiveness. Has reportedly been working her ass off this summer so hopefully will have a tremendous sophomore leap.
  5. Williams - not only the #1 player in the nation, but some felt she was #1 the prior year as well (ie. better than Megan and 1 year younger). Wants to be legendary. Should be a huge impact player off the bench, may even start.
  6. Nelson-Ododa - some had her at #1 before her injury. Tall, lanky, smooth, and can already dunk. Doesn't fashion herself as a perimeter player. Might even start. Azura who??
  7. Camara - big question mark - strong, smooth, but has trouble finishing around the basket. Looking forward to a sophomore leap for her (this is only her 2nd year playing full time - and hopefully she starts the season at 100% with no nagging injuries). Might even start...
  8. Coombs reported healed and ready to rumble. Even a moderate sophomore leap would be light years better than her freshman season.
  9. Molly, Kyla and Lexi - Great role players - hopefully all improve, especially Lexi's sophomore leap
Bottom line, it will be a year of lower expectations (Elite 8 should be the expectation - anything past that is slightly over-achieving IMHO).

MainefanSC

golfnut
Reaction Score
Here's hoping all of our opponents have the same expectation for our women as Paisan. I for one agree with Woof and Bronx. Geno and staff seem to excel when given a challenge. Just 2 seasons ago we were supposed to have been beaten time and again, during the regular season. By the time the regular season ended, everyone expected #12. What happened? Geno, CD et al happened. Our women happened. They will open the season ready and prepared. I don't expect perfection but I'm certainly expecting success beyond Paisan's prediction.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Just 2 seasons ago we were supposed to have been beaten time and again, during the regular season. By the time the regular season ended, everyone expected #12. What happened?

Collier and Samuelson became Wade Trophy finalist caliber players and Gabby Williams ascended to national superstar. Are you confident in similar transformations in, say, Walker, Coombs, Dangerfield, and one or both freshmen?

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Bottom line, it will be a year of lower expectations (Elite 8 should be the expectation - anything past that is slightly over-achieving IMHO).

To me if you have 2 legit POY candidates plus one of the top PG in the nation you should be considered a National Championship contender. I think the expectation level should be higher than Elite 8.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Hopefully ONO will be the shot blocking presence that I think she can be, otherwise you will see a lot more exploitation of the lane then we've seen in quite a while.
The only teams currently on the schedule that present a significant matchup problem in the paint are Baylor and, to a lesser degree, ND. If Touly & ONO develop, that changes the calculus considerably.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Collier and Samuelson became Wade Trophy finalist caliber players and Gabby Williams ascended to national superstar. Are you confident in similar transformations in, say, Walker, Coombs, Dangerfield, and one or both freshmen?
We don’t need similar transformations. In case you hadn’t noticed, Collier & Samuelson are still on the team. That means, we don’t need 3 breakout performances like we had 2 seasons ago.

Having said that, I believe Crystal will become an AA this year, MW will make a giant sophomore leap and UConn will get significant contributions from Touly, Mikayla and the two freshmen.

It may not be enough to bring home a 12th banner, but I would never bet against Geno and his staff.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
We don’t need similar transformations. In case you hadn’t noticed, Collier & Samuelson are still on the team. That means, we don’t need 3 breakout performances like we had 2 seasons ago.

It may not be enough to bring home a 12th banner,
but I would never bet against Geno and his staff.

Well that's the question isn't it? There's certainly talent, and they won't lose many games, but are they good enough to win a title? This team will need some breakout performances for that to happen. As I've said before, there are glaring issues with defense and rebounding on paper, and possibly even shooting.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom