Reaction to VCU game | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Reaction to VCU game

Reaction Score
will ferrell snl GIF by Saturday Night Live

But an ugly win is much better than an ugly loss! Kansas just lost to a Dayton team that was 2-3 with losses to UMass Lowell, Lipscom (are they even D1?), and Austin Peay.

Reaction Score
Hard to be too upset, the issues we talked about all offseason were there but we managed to pull out a win. We know what needs to be fixed and luckily it's game 7 of what's hopefully a 35+ game season. I'm not expecting a perfect product in November
Have to find minutes for diggins and Johnson next week against weaker teams so they can be useful the rest of the season.

Reaction Score
AJax may never be a scorer, but he's like if Dennis Rodman were a PG. 14 boards, 4 assists led both teams.
I'm so torn with him. He rises out of the crowd to grab rebounds and makes some very good passes but he gets routinely toasted on defense, doesn't shoot well and commits a lot of careless turnovers.

Reaction Score
No one is content. Some people just look at things in context. And choose not to panic over a 6-1 start with a win over a top 20 team and a close loss to a top 25 team. We have a lot of flaws to correct right now. But it’s November. And with our flaws we’re 6-1

Reaction Score
Need to allocate a lot of practice time to inbounding and press-breaking. Incompetent for this level of basketball.

Reaction Score
Have to find minutes for diggins and Johnson next week against weaker teams so they can be useful the rest of the season.
Disagree there, we don't need to force feed anyone minutes. We're not running out an 11 man rotation in conference play

Reaction Score
Without RJ foget about it, but he was hoping to be fouled in the trap. An ugly experience this game was, and the refs.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
You said happy with the win. If you’re not happy we won the you’re a terrible fan.

Also years of what? 6-1 starts with 2 wins over top 100 teams SO FAR in OCC. What years recently were we doing that?
Of course, we should be happy with the record. But I'm not talking about the record. We haven't fixed any of the issues that we've had for the last few years. I brought this up last year constantly how we'd get down every game and have to battle back from double digits down to win. Or we'd have a lead and piss it away and people had the same response I'm getting now.

Reaction Score
Remember when Hurley said there "was no other team that has a bigger chip on their shoulder this year" (you should- it was said about 5 different times throughout the broadcasts this week by Dykes and Ravech- who is a total d*** btw and shouldn't be calling basketball games). What an absolute joke.

Overrated is an UNDERSTATEMENT. VCU is one of the WORST offensive teams in basketball. Check KENPOM.

There is no one on this team that has basketball IQ. Including the coach. Hurley talks a big game- but backs it up with zero in game coaching ability, zero strategy and zero feel for lineups.

The layups today, the BUTTER FINGERS (how many times did the balls slip out of hands today????) makes it appear that this will be another team with no real reason to believe that this season will be better than the last. I see this as being a common theme with Hurley at the helm until he learns how to coach. Just enough to sniff top 25 every few years....slip out of it within a few weeks....rinse, repeat.

After today and really, this week- there is nothing that proves otherwise...

Reaction Score
Gaffs minutes need to be cutback and Hawkins needs to play more than 13
Sure, Hawkins needs more minutes. Not sure what that has to do with playing Diggins and Johnson though

Reaction Score
Remember when Hurley said there "was no other team that has a bigger chip on their shoulder this year" (you should- it was said about 5 different times throughout the broadcasts this week by Dykes and Ravech- who is a total d*** btw and shouldn't be calling basketball games). What an absolute joke.

Overrated is an UNDERSTATEMENT. VCU is one of the WORST offensive teams in basketball. Check KENPOM.

There is no one on this team that has basketball IQ. Including the coach. Hurley talks a big game- but backs it up with zero in game coaching ability, zero strategy and zero feel for lineups.

The layups today, the BUTTER FINGERS (how many times did the balls slip out of hands today????) makes it appear that this will be another team with no real reason to believe that this season will be better than the last. I see this as being a common theme with Hurley at the helm until he learns how to coach. Just enough to sniff top 25 every few years....slip out of it within a few weeks....rinse, repeat.

After today and really, this week- there is nothing that proves otherwise...
Sometimes I hate this place. I’m out

Reaction Score
Disagree there, we don't need to force feed anyone minutes. We're not running out an 11 man rotation in conference play
I think getting Diggins some time would be good given our lack of handlers. Gaffney has been atrocious. Samson can and should wait

Reaction Score
I say give these boys a couple days off… they looked fatigued but played with heart. Hopefully they can fixed these problems with reps. Now let’s get the hell out of there.

Reaction Score
I think getting Diggins some time would be good given our lack of handlers. Gaffney has been atrocious. Samson can and should wait
I'd like for Diggins to play because we desperately need a backup PG and another ball handler. But it's hard for me to imagine he's ready if Hurley is watching him in practice and he still didn't play these past 3 games

Reaction Score
I think a lot of people need to relax. We just came off of two incredibly physical and emotionally draining games and get stuck with a very tough defensive VCU squad in a consolation game. It's gonna be hard to play well after those first two games, and that much harder against a team that plays like VCU. We beat a very good Auburn team with a top 3 pick and probably should have won against a HOF coach with MSU. We beat that feisty VCU team today, albeit not pretty. But we found a way to win and that is what matters. We probably lose this game last year.

Regarding Hawkins, I'm not sure playing a freshman major minutes who can't dribble in a game where every possession matters is smart. And he pretty much showed that with a few freshman plays. If playing time with him is still an issue at the end of the year, that is the time for this discussion and how that might impact recruiting. Not the second week of the season.

If Diggins was better than Gaffney, he'd be playing. Gaffney has been the same player for 2 years and counting.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
We failed to lose a game that we kinda wanted to lose for 40 minutes before deciding that we might as well just win to avoid a second overtime.

That game was a dumpster fire.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
AJax may never be a scorer, but he's like if Dennis Rodman were a PG. 14 boards, 4 assists led both teams.
Its amazing that he doesn't snag EVERY rebound.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
There are people who here who will say they're happy with the win and are content with how we're playing
I’m happy with the win and have no control with how we did it. Kansas lost to Dayton today. I’d rather be us than them. The good old days before the Internet when a win was actually acceptable.

Reaction Score
There are people who here who will say they're happy with the win and are content with how we're playing
Happy with the win yes. Content with how we are playing no.

This Board drives me crazy sometimes. Everyone needs to chillax a bit. This is game 7 of a long season. It is a a process. It takes time for a team to find it's identity and mesh. Yes we won an ugly game. Yes we did not look good at times and have some things to work on. But we WON. And that's all that matters. Come selection Sunday everyone will forget that this game was ugly and all it will say is quality win vs VCU to enhance our resume.

We learned some things about this team over the last three days, both good and bad. There is certainly room for improvement but overall a fairly successful trip to the Bahamas. Enjoy it!!!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom