Re-Shuffling The Deck At RB | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Re-Shuffling The Deck At RB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Can't stop anyone but I was hoping this wouldn't turn into that other "Lyle" thread. Moving forward!

Reaction Score
I talked to Diaco about this. He slightly misunderstood my question, as I was really moreso just curious about whether we had enough depth or would be seeking a walk-on to avoid blowing a redshirt. With that being said, his comments to me were very close to what Des is saying.

I asked how many RB's they had and he said "five". He did not include Clax. He talked about some positives of each RB, but from my amateur psychology skills, my prediction is that if the season started today...

1.) Marriner
2.) Max
3.) Arkeel
4.) McAllister
5.) Johnson

As many above have said, I don't think listing Arkeel as 3 is really right since its not the role he would play. He'd have his own packages and plays that would highlight his strengths, but I can't imagine that he's being seriously considered as the #1 20 carry TB.

I think Max and Marriner are going to split carries with Max getting most of them in the beginning of the season. I think Marriner emerges as the starter by the middle or the end of the season, he's going to be a really good back, Diaco said he's maybe the strongest player on the team. I also believe one of the three freshmens will get some touches and I think it'll be either Newsome or McAlister. We're not desperate at the RB position to have a freshmen start unless there was some injuries.

Reaction Score
Part of the equation is how do others perform. If Marriner is as good as some people thought, then you don't need to play Newsome or someone else. If Max is playing well, you can redshirt Johnson since they are similar. As I said before I think McAllister might be the most polished and the most ready coming out of a prep program. He faced college recruits ever game. I think there were 2 others on his team. Doesn't mean he will be the best player over his career. Just the most ready to play in 2014.

McAllister might be the best combination of size and speed in the class. Around signing day, someone noted he ran track at Suffield and listed impressive (high 10's ?) 100 meter times from his track meets. One of the things we've really lacked is a running back with speed that keeps defenses honest/scared.

Reaction Score
I think Max and Marriner are going to split carries with Max getting most of them in the beginning of the season. I think Marriner emerges as the starter by the middle or the end of the season, he's going to be a really good back, Diaco said he's maybe the strongest player on the team. I also believe one of the three freshmens will get some touches and I think it'll be either Newsome or McAlister. We're not desperate at the RB position to have a freshmen start unless there was some injuries.

I completely agree with you. One or more will see the field in some capacity. I believe Johnson will RS. McAllister and Newsome have a chance to get some carries. DeLorenzo and Marriner will see the bulk of the work. I really want to see what Marriner can do. I think he could be a real surprise this year.

Reaction Score
Somehow I get the feeling that Diaco and staff will do a much better job identifying the go-to-guys and won't bury talent on the bench. I just feel good about how he's already identified the physical weaknesses in these guys and has challenged them to hit the weights and the books. There's a no nonsense manner in his approach and my sense is he can "will" these guys to perform beyond their skill level. I'm just feeling very optimistic for some reason. I'm no Pollyanna as a rule but I'm becoming more and more convinced that we may just shock the world on the 29th. Call me crazy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom