Re-Shuffling The Deck At RB | The Boneyard

Re-Shuffling The Deck At RB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The loss of McCombs definitely creates a hole at RB but is it a hole we can fill with existing talent or new guys coming in? After Max it would seem to open up an opportunity for Josh Marriner a guy of similar stature though slightly bigger and with good speed. Don't know how it impacts a guy like Clax who I liked during the Spring because he's closer to Max as a tackle to tackle guy.

And whether or not Newsome gets any touches out of the backfield is another open question. I like him as a KR becase of his vision and ability to follow blockers. Maybe also on screens if he gets the timng down or draw plays if he's ready for that.

Who else am I missing?

Reaction Score
The loss of McCombs definitely creates a hole at RB but is it a hole we can fill with existing talent or new guys coming in? After Max it would seem to open up an opportunity for Josh Marriner a guy of similar stature though slightly bigger and with good speed. Don't know how it impacts a guy like Clax who I liked during the Spring because he's closer to Max as a tackle to tackle guy.

And whether or not Newsome gets any touches out of the backfield is another open question. I like him as a KR becase of his vision and ability to follow blockers. Maybe also on screens if he gets the timng down or draw plays if he's ready for that.

Who else am I missing?

Missing??? For starters, you totally underestimate how good Arkeel Newsome is. To say a guy who gained over 10,000 yards (4star recruit) will get no touches and you like him as a KR is a stretch. I too could see him returning some kicks but I also see him with multiple touches at RB. ESPECIALLY with McCombs out.

In addition to Newsome, DeLorenzo and Mariner, we also have Ron Johnson http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=9490442 and Bryce McAllister http://www.hudl.com/athlete/863802/brice-mcallister Judging from the highlight reels, (FLA competition aside) McAllister appears to be a better running back. Johnson's 40 was not that impressive and from what I observed, he looks more like a fullback. Anyway, it appears that UCONN will have numerous options in the backfield in 2014. Here is a link to the stats for the prep school league which includes Cheshire Academy, where McAllister played. He lead the league in rushing and pointshttp://www.maxpreps.com/league/xyOMCWIRBUGg8kRRMzcoLA/standings-colonial.htm

This running back group has some upside potential. The big question is can the line upon the holes?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Max, Marriner, Clax, Ron Johnson, McAllister, and Newsome. There is a good mix of different types of backs there. You have some thumpers (Max, Johnson, Clax) and speedy and shifty change of pace backs (Marriner, McAllister, Newsome). We won't be redshirting all of the RB's this year.

Reaction Score
Clax and Max. It has a ring to it, no?

You could also call them the Baby Bulls backfield (with a tip of the cap to Ernie Koy and Tucker Fredrickson).

In either case, they would be a load to tackle. No fun for defenses.

Reaction Score
By my look: Scholarship tailbacks are: DeLorenzo (RJr), Mariner (RF). Scholarship fullbacks are: Clax (RF), Walsh (So).

Walsh still has a redshirt year available, as will obviously, all incoming backs: (Johnson, McAllister and Newsome)

Got a couple players listed on the roster that aren't scholarship - I think. Contrary to popular opinion, my guess is that the coaching staff is going to try to keep the shirts on the incoming RB class. Those 3 will need to demonstrate something real special that can't be kept off the field to play, or we're going to have to get real deep down the chart for medical reasons. On another note, It's amazing how thin this roster is, in many places, bu it's getting better slowly over the past 2 seasons. Got to wonder when the class of 2015 will start to come together publicly.

For this season, I'm very much looking forward to seeing what #26 can do, and continuing to watch #44 ending up on top of tacklers falling forward.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
It's hard to find a better football name than Jazzmar Clax.

I was scrolling down to post this. You got me this time Jimmy. It can be a decade of everytime Clax is mentioned on the Boneyard 3 posts later is... Jazzmar Clax... that's a great name.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Marriner looked good at the spring game. Adding Newsome to the mix, I like our stable of backs. I'm more concerned with who is going to open up holes for them.

APA

Reaction Score
Missing??? For starters, you totally underestimate how good Arkeel Newsome is. To say a guy who gained over 10,000 yards (4star recruit) will get no touches and you like him as a KR is a stretch. I too could see him returning some kicks but I also see him with multiple touches at RB. ESPECIALLY with McCombs out.

In addition to Newsome, DeLorenzo and Mariner, we also have Ron Johnson http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=9490442 and Bryce McAllister http://www.hudl.com/athlete/863802/brice-mcallister Judging from the highlight reels, (FLA competition aside) McAllister appears to be a better running back. Johnson's 40 was not that impressive and from what I observed, he looks more like a fullback. Anyway, it appears that UCONN will have numerous options in the backfield in 2014. Here is a link to the stats for the prep school league which includes Cheshire Academy, where McAllister played. He lead the league in rushing and pointshttp://www.maxpreps.com/league/xyOMCWIRBUGg8kRRMzcoLA/standings-colonial.htm

This running back group has some upside potential. The big question is can the line upon the holes?

For what it's worth, Scout, Rivals, ESPN and 24/7 all had him rated as 3*, not 4.

Reaction Score
I have seen Newsome play and I'm not underestimating his talent or potential. It's hard to judge as a spectator if those performances can translate immediately at the next level. As a true Frosh there are plenty of things to learn and adjustments to personnel and opponents. I expect him to do great things here at some point but there are hoops to jump through.

Reaction Score
Always gotta be careful with kids who have yet to set foot on campus. You just never know. Does anyone remember the name "Savon Huggins"?

Reaction Score
I can not imagine all of the incoming frosh being RS'd. Before LM's departure we were thin. And I see no reason to keep them bunched together in one class. I think one of them had a good shot of seeing the field this year before the LM episode. I thought it would be Johnson as AN seems to be in the same mold as LM. Now, i think at least 1 will end up playing, perhaps 2.

Reaction Score
Clax and Max. It has a ring to it, no?

You could also call them the Baby Bulls backfield (with a tip of the cap to Ernie Koy and Tucker Fredrickson).

In either case, they would be a load to tackle. No fun for defenses.
Wow you are old. Why don't you bring up Willie Young, Darrell Dess, Homer Jones and Jim Katkavich while you are at it! LOL - I do like Clax and Max but even though it doesn't ryme we are gonna like Clax (or Walsh) and Arkeel better!

Reaction Score
I can not imagine all of the incoming frosh being RS'd. Before LM's departure we were thin. And I see no reason to keep them bunched together in one class. I think one of them had a good shot of seeing the field this year before the LM episode. I thought it would be Johnson as AN seems to be in the same mold as LM. Now, i think at least 1 will end up playing, perhaps 2.

Well, after yesterday, the probability that at least one will not redshirt went way up. You gotta hope that when the coaches have been in touch, and they're asking them if they're going to ready, that they're not blowing steam, because they better be ready!!!

(as ready as a true freshmen coming to campus can be)

Reaction Score
For what it's worth, Scout, Rivals, ESPN and 24/7 all had him rated as 3*, not 4.
I saw that but another service had him as a 4 but I care little about that. He was a Parade All-American. He reminds me of a Floyd Little (Hillhouse), Barry Sanders or Walter Payton (size wise)
These guys were VERY quick and shifty and hard to get a good hit on. Baring injuries of other problems Arkeel will do big things at UCONN.
Connecticut gets zero respect as a football state. Arkeel is the real deal!

Reaction Score
The thing about advancing in levels of football, or anything, is that at a lower level, you are the best on the field. The real deal. When you get to the next level, everybody there is the real deal. You got to go to whole new level, to be the only real deal.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Line play will make the running game this year, almost doesn't matter who's carrying the ball. I felt LM wasn't going to be the feature back this year anyway. BD wasn't going to allow the lack of production that PP did.

Reaction Score
I am sure none of you were there and none of you remember. If you stayed till the end of the Memphis game ( I did) Claxx got some carries. May have been meaningless, but the kid showed me something even though it was 7 carries for 11 yards.

Reaction Score
Max, Marriner, Clax, Ron Johnson, McAllister, and Newsome. There is a good mix of different types of backs there. You have some thumpers (Max, Johnson, Clax) and speedy and shifty change of pace backs (Marriner, McAllister, Newsome). We won't be redshirting all of the RB's this year.

Marriner is a thumper too. I think Marriner is going to be special. That kid does not go down easy, he was dragging tacklers for at least 5 to 10 yards in more than one occasion.

Reaction Score
@desmondconner: UConn Has Options To Fill TB Void Left By McCombs' Exit http://post original url/Vwan4gBOvB

Synopsis:

>>No matter who plays, Diaco wants to see a few things.

"To me it's three things: no negative plays, taking care of the football, and then the yards after contact," Diaco said.

A closer look at the tailbacks:

DeLorenzo, 5-11, 210: Physical thumper; played big in big spots last year. "He's a guy who pounds it in there," Diaco said. "We're excited about Max and the role he's going to play."

Marriner, 5-9, 193: Rushed for 417 yards on 20 carries in a game for Western Branch (Va.) High School. "I think in time Josh Mariner possess some traits that are really exceptional at the position," Diaco said. "Pound for pound he's probably our strongest player on the team, not the strongest lifting weights, but I bet [strength and conditioning coordinator Matt] Balis would say he is our strongest player. He's got great balance and vision. He's one of our hardest workers and he's a real team guy."

Clax, 5-11, 241: Can play both running back positions, but primarily is a fullback. "He has the ability to play tailback and has good enough feet and good enough initial quickness and vision to have a couple of plays. He's not going to run our tailback menu, but there are a couple of plays he does really well at tailback. But like Matt Walsh, he's predominantly a fullback." Walsh, 6-1, 227,was the primary fullback last season, playing in all 12 games. He led Hand to back-to-back titles.

Johnson, 5-11, 212: From Palmetto Ridge High in Naples, Fla.; he opened the recruiting process when coach Charlie Strong left Louisville for Texas. "He's a big-bodied back, hard to tackle, tackle breaker, runs through contact and tackles," Diaco said.

McAllister, 5-11, 195: Rushed for 1,188 yards and scored 19 touchdowns as a senior at Suffield Academy. He led the team to an undefeated season. "Possess a lot of the same traits [as Johnson] but has great hands, a really accomplished guy in the passing game, excellent lateral quickness and vision," Diaco said. "He's more elusive and a bit of a slashing-type player. He's hard to tackle because of his short space quickness and make-you-miss kind of balance."

Newsome, 5-8, 188: The state's career leader in rushing yards (10,672), touchdowns (187), total points (1,162). "Very fast, vertical, north-south runner, a slashing runner but not a lot of wasted movement," Diaco said. "He's always gaining ground and gaining yards down the field. He has good hands and can play that role, too; a guy that can see the crease and hit the crease. He can punish you and go a long way."<<

Take a read of the whole article...

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Max is gonna run for 1,200 yards this year. His style of running + Foley's style of OLine = 1,200+ yards. Take it to the bank, and remember that I told you about it when he does it! :cool:

Reaction Score
Again Diaco shows he's a master at spinning the message he wants out there. A day after not so good news he has Dez show why "we'll be fine" at RB. He's good.

Reaction Score
There is plenty of talent. What is proven time and time again is a guy will emerge and breakout from the others. Newsome and Max would be a good combination, but we really only have one traditional style fullback. Getting a fullback into the mix will be important to bring support to the oline.

Reaction Score
There is plenty of talent. What is proven time and time again is a guy will emerge and breakout from the others. Newsome and Max would be a good combination, but we really only have one traditional style fullback. Getting a fullback into the mix will be important to bring support to the oline.

Jazzmar Clax

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemba123#