Re: Aaliyah Edwards - Am i the only one? | The Boneyard

Re: Aaliyah Edwards - Am i the only one?

Reaction Score
I don't get to see the games live, so I listen to the radio feed and watch the games later (thanks @MJL243!). Every time I see Aaliyah, everything she does seems effortless. She's playing with such confidence, she's a totally different player than last year. I can't even imagine how good she'll be next year.

Reaction Score
Totally agree. The midrange jumpshot and the little fadeaway are excellent additions to her arsenal. She's no longer a one-dimensional post scorer. And I think the confidence she gets from scoring more easily translates into better rebounding and D.

I also loved the transition moment in the second half when she ended up with the ball dribbling up the floor. She hesitated for an instant, glanced about for Nika, and then just kept on going with the ball. Aaliyah running the transition game!

Last edited:

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I don't get to see the games live, so I listen to the radio feed and watch the games later (thanks @MJL243!). Every time I see Aaliyah, everything she does seems effortless. She's playing with such confidence, she's a totally different player than last year. I can't even imagine how good she'll be next year.
You are not the only one...I put Aaliyah on the All American watch weeks ago.
Fancy this. A Ferraro and a Ferrari on the same page. Or Paige. Have to say that Roma is looking mighty fine.

Reaction Score
The way Aaliyah is playing right now and if she maintains that level of play, I say she will finally be a match against Boston. Outside of the rebounding, she is way ahead of Boston in scoring and assists and about even in rebounding. It will be some match-up when the game is played. Because the game is in Dec. Aaliyah has games to get better. Looking forward to the game. GO HUSKIES!!!

Reaction Score
Picture being a WNBA GM, in the draft room. Trying to pick between AE, Haley Jones, and/or Boston.
Remember Cheryl Miller? Sheryl Swoopes? A 6’3” wing player that can do everything.
Is she longer than those other two iconic players?

JordyG

Reaction Score
You don't like the new Roma?

Reaction Score
Aaliyah showing the ability to hit short jumpers really enhances her game. She is going to need that at the next level for sure and it could also be a game changer for us. We may up a better team with a smaller lineup against some teams. Is her recent performance mainly just increased PT? More assurance that she can take chances and make mistakes without being pulled from the game? It would seem that everyone is benefiting from that phenomena. Whatever it is, keep doing it Aaliyah!

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I want to see her against SC, then rate her.
Seriously? So UCONN's gauntlet of death so far hasn't been enough for you? #3 Texas, #9 Iowa and #10 NC State wasn't enough to convince you? Going up against elite post players on each team?

BTW Boston isn't even 3rd team AA at this point. But I'd put Azzi on 1st team and Aaliyah on 2nd team. And so far Nika not only gets a serious look at DPOY, but also at the Lieberman trophy

JordyG

Reaction Score
Great catch JordyG...something tells me I would have been much better off if my family name ended in an "i" instead of an "o". :) lol
The other fellow gave me a thumbs down. It seems he doesn't like the company, he doesn't like me, he hates the new Roma, or any combination of the three.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I agree she is playing at an AA level but the word "effortless" :eek: is the last word I would associate with Aaliyah.

I am glad we seem to be done saying she is playing like her freshman year. She is much better.

Reaction Score
Picture being a WNBA GM, in the draft room. Trying to pick between AE, Haley Jones, and/or Boston.
Remember Cheryl Miller? Sheryl Swoopes? A 6’3” wing player that can do everything.
Except they are seniors and she is a Junior.

Reaction Score
I am not thinking of " next year"!! Now is the moment! Don't forget to
vote for Aaliyah on the web link to HOOPHALLAWARDS!! see the top link
of the BONEYARD home page. Also vote for AZZI for Shooting Guard,
Caroline for Small Forward and DORKA for Center/Post. I suspect
Nika will be added to the POINT GUARD award also when then
reshuffle the deck later ( in January, I believe)

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score

Auriemma knows she can handle it.

"I hope that it just gets better and better and better for her," he said. "… It's a lot. But you're a junior man. You're a junior playing at UConn, you gotta be like a pro. Our juniors and seniors, they gotta play like pros. You know? Nobody gets a nod for showing up at UConn … So, you have to be a tremendous competitor and Aaliyah is right there."

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Aliyah Boston is a senior this year.

Reaction Score
Edwards is just one piece in the UConn engine. A vital piece but unlike past years when UConn tried to match SC's strength and rebounding, this year's Huskies have more assets - speed, defense, 3 point shooting, etc.. With a stronger team around her, Edwards is under less pressure and should do well. Too early to be predicting this game but with Caroline back and Dorka returning, Edwards and UConn are a challenge for any team.

Reaction Score
You already missed some great games and will miss many more great games by that time Feb 5 comes around.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
In addition to the obvious improvement in skills and confidence, what has impressed me the most about Aaliyah is how much smarter she has become as a player. Things like moving screens, which were almost the bane of her game last year, are very limited now. She is averaging almost 3 assists per game this year, mostly from the center position, which is very solid considering the nation's leader is playing the point on her team. Last year she averaged less than 1.3 per game.

She has proven that she can play with fouls, also the sign of a smart player. The change in her from last year has been dramatic in my view and as I stated in a prior post she is the one who is improving the most game to game, not Lou, not Caroline, not Aubrey, but her. 20 points on 62.5% FGA, 13 boards, 6 assists, a block and a steal are some very dominating numbers. The best part is that she is still developing and with her athleticism there is no discernible ceiling. If she gets a baby turn around jumper from in the paint for put backs or post ups and a short pull up J off the bounce, then as we say in Jersey, forget about it.

Reaction Score
The other fellow gave me a thumbs down. It seems he doesn't like the company, he doesn't like me, he hates the new Roma, or any combination of the three.
No, it's that I don't like how everything gets turned around to Paige even when she's not playing. Why can't Aaliyah get her moment in the spotlight without Paige being brought up?

Reaction Score
You’re a poet and you don’t even know it!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom