Re: Aaliyah Edwards - Am i the only one? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Re: Aaliyah Edwards - Am i the only one?

Reaction Score
No, it's that I don't like how everything gets turned around to Paige even when she's not playing. Why can't Aaliyah get her moment in the spotlight without Paige being brought up?
Been saying that for awhile now.

Reaction Score
The way Aaliyah is playing right now and if she maintains that level of play, I say she will finally be a match against Boston. Outside of the rebounding, she is way ahead of Boston in scoring and assists and about even in rebounding. It will be some match-up when the game is played. Because the game is in Dec. Aaliyah has games to get better. Looking forward to the game. GO HUSKIES!!!
Boy did I goof. The SC game is in FEB. That will definitely Aaliyah time to get better and really hone her skills. GO HUSKIES!!!

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
Seriously? So UCONN's gauntlet of death so far hasn't been enough for you? #3 Texas, #9 Iowa and #10 NC State wasn't enough to convince you? Going up against elite post players on each team?

BTW Boston isn't even 3rd team AA at this point. But I'd put Azzi on 1st team and Aaliyah on 2nd team. And so far Nika not only gets a serious look at DPOY, but also at the Lieberman trophy
I wonder WHY SC is ranked #1??

Reaction Score
I've been noting her improvement based on her performance at the Globl Jam this past summer. I'm glad to see to see it translating on the court the way that it is. The work she puts in during the off season both at Storrs and at home, that I've seen when posted on IG is something to see. It's paying off in spades.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
play of the game. period.
rewatch, closely.
every game has a life of its own. into the second half, it became painfully obvious to them that they had no one to match with aaliyah and so they began the baby hacks on her. throwing a bow or such when she was nearby, pushes, various and sundry whacks any time the opportunity came. it gets annoying and sometimes can make the hacked player lose focus, which is the hope. it culminated when aaliyah threw the player to the ground. 'enough! i've had all i can stand, and i can't stand it no more!'
off to the races, game over. that last lame attempt, when the moose just slammed into her and somehow, the refs thought it a foul on aaliyah (lol) was funny cuz it only ramped her desire up a notch. check out that pros narrative (lobo) on aaliyah later in the game when she accurately described aaliyahs effort on a play where she ended up with the board.
max effort. desire. winner. i think the play near the end where she ripped the o board over the head from the defender in front of her (then dishing for the 3 ball), making them whip around and whine to the refs for a foul, stroked them out. no foul, clean pick.
bring on anyone cuz we're frothing at the mouth like a rabid dog. we'll win pretty, or ugly with backbone. don't matter which way.
victory-knock-out-picture-id812704600

mama sez knock u out.

Reaction Score
I recall many of us were giddy watching her her frosh year.
IMO the 2nd half of last year she was terrific.
She had an amazing summer.
Now it looks like as an upperclassman everything is coming together whether she wind sup a/a or not she is playing like one helluva damn good player.

She has given me several "wow" moments this year.
1-- Her quickness at times with the ball in her hands.
2-- I've always bene impressed with her strength and her lateral defensive quickness.
3-- In this game her outside shooting was just "wow."
4-- What an amazing move she made I believe in 1st quarter with the fallaway bank shot.
5-- which someone already alluded; The coast-to-coast-finish-off with a beauty bounce pass.

I feel sorry for any UCONN fan if they can't appreciate the fun it is to watch this development ((in not only Edwards), but just in general watching someone jump in improvement or just play with such high quality rather than just waiting for SC and Stanford.

I'm watching the game as a fan, and she is making me say "wow" at times. She's been absolutely terrific.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
max effort. desire. winner. i think the play near the end where she ripped the o board over the head from the defender in front of her (then dishing for the 3 ball), making them whip around and whine to the refs for a foul, stroked them out. no foul, clean pick.
bring on anyone cuz we're frothing at the mouth like a rabid dog. we'll win pretty, or ugly with backbone. don't matter which way.
victory-knock-out-picture-id812704600

mama sez knock u out.
Both Friede and Lobo said Edwards went "over the back" of the Iowa player. I've watched that play several times on replay and Aaliyah did not commit a foul. The Iowa player was bent over with her arms behind her grabbing for Aaliyah while Aaliyah did the right thing: she grabbed the ball. The Iowa player did not lift her arms to rebound the ball until it was already in Aaliyah's hands. Not a foul.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
No, it's that I don't like how everything gets turned around to Paige even when she's not playing. Why can't Aaliyah get her moment in the spotlight without Paige being brought up?
In actuality it was a pun on page and not some intent to rain flowers down on her, even though she's sidelined. Nothing more. Maybe it would have been better to say "Fancy this. A Ferraro and a Ferrari on the same mule. Or Muhl". Or perhaps "Fancy this. A Ferraro and a Ferrari on the same leeward. Or Edwards". I kinda prefer the latter.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
I recall many of us were giddy watching her her frosh year.
IMO the 2nd half of last year she was terrific.
She had an amazing summer.
Now it looks like as an upperclassman everything is coming together whether she wind sup a/a or not she is playing like one helluva damn good player.

She has given me several "wow" moments this year.
1-- Her quickness at times with the ball in her hands.
2-- I've always bene impressed with her strength and her lateral defensive quickness.
3-- In this game her outside shooting was just "wow."
4-- What an amazing move she made I believe in 1st quarter with the fallaway bank shot.
5-- which someone already alluded; The coast-to-coast-finish-off with a beauty bounce pass.

I feel sorry for any UCONN fan if they can't appreciate the fun it is to watch this development ((in not only Edwards), but just in general watching someone jump in improvement or just play with such high quality rather than just waiting for SC and Stanford.

I'm watching the game as a fan, and she is making me say "wow" at times. She's been absolutely terrific.
she's becoming 'smooove.' always was serious, sincere, studly, slick, and solid, but now she's becoming smoove.
sweet.
the perfect role model for ayanna.
geno coming up with some kind of phenotypical UConn forward created in his lab lately. of course, he learned all this from breanna, and just ran with the concept. smart guy. when dorka returns to her spot nearest the hoop, aaliyah gonna run wild.
garantee.

that play, where it was back and forth in the fourth, when she got the ball at beyond and to the side of the stripe, turned, surveyed the situation at a very important moment, including the distance from her defender and realized 'im open' then nailed the j - 'in ur face!' was wicked cool.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I don't get to see the games live, so I listen to the radio feed and watch the games later (thanks @MJL243!). Every time I see Aaliyah, everything she does seems effortless. She's playing with such confidence, she's a totally different player than last year. I can't even imagine how good she'll be next year.
She played like an All American yesterday, draining 12-14 footers regularly, rebounding, defending, and passing.

Reaction Score
In actuality it was a pun on page and not some intent to rain flowers down on her, even though she's sidelined. Nothing more. Maybe it would have been better to say "Fancy this. A Ferraro and a Ferrari on the same mule. Or Muhl". Or perhaps "Fancy this. A Ferraro and a Ferrari on the same leeward. Or Edwards". I kinda prefer the latter.
I accept this. I also accept that I overreacted a bit. It's just something that been irking me since the preseason.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Both Friede and Lobo said Edwards went "over the back" of the Iowa player. I've watched that play several times on replay and Aaliyah did not commit a foul. The Iowa player was bent over with her arms behind her grabbing for Aaliyah while Aaliyah did the right thing: she grabbed the ball. The Iowa player did not lift her arms to rebound the ball until it was already in Aaliyah's hands. Not a foul.
The ref also told the Iowa HC the same thing if you watch the tape after happened. I think she knew it wasn't but was trying to get the call later in the game. I also think that the refs did a make up call on the charge that AE took late in the game due to not making the correct call earlier when Czinano bowled her over with the shoulder.

Reaction Score
Except they are seniors and she is a Junior.
They both have an extra year of eligibility with Covid so could theoretically comeback. Haley Jones has already said she’s not using her covid year but Boston hasn’t decided yet.

JordyG

Reaction Score
I accept this. I also accept that I overreacted a bit. It's just something that been irking me since the preseason.
Fair enough. I just glad it doesn't mean you hate the new Roma. That would be sacrilegious.

JordyG

Reaction Score
She is now a Fiat (I'm truly sorry, but I couldn't help myself :) )
Or just a little Fiat. I prefer the term sturdy.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Totally agree. The midrange jumpshot and the little fadeaway are excellent additions to her arsenal. She's no longer a one-dimensional post scorer.
I think this video clip is an example of the little fadeaway. It is great! But I really liked the looks on Dorka and Amari's faces as if to say "From where did that move and shot come?" They seemed both pleased and surprised ... as I was!

Reaction Score
It looks to me like Geno or one of the coaches told Aaliyah to watch some tapes of Pheesa in her Jr yr she developed some of the same post moves. Pheesa also in her Sr yr started to shoot from the 3 pt line because when we played team with 6' 5" and up she had trouble working inside. All of that development made her very successful in the WNBA. Aaliyah made the biggest strides of all the UConn players since last year on her post moves , drives to the hoop and her outside shot. Nika and Azzi are both in 2nd but not far behind.

Reaction Score
Pheesa also in her Sr yr started to shoot from the 3 pt line because when we played team with 6' 5" and up she had trouble working inside.
I think the other reason for Aaliyah (and Pheesa) to develop a perimeter shot is to force those bigs to come away from the rim.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom