Ray Allen Was A Pretty Good Player For Us | The Boneyard

Ray Allen Was A Pretty Good Player For Us

Reaction Score
But I don’t remember the acrobatic putbacks and flushes that we’ve seen from Bouknight during Ray’s freshman year Or later. Now he had more talent around him but Bouk’s offensive efficiency is very good. Since Ray had a pretty fair NBA career what might this mean about the next level for him? They are similar in size, same position so I thought a comparison at this stage after 1 year was in order.

Reaction Score
I'm raising a topic based on Ray and Bouk at this early stage of their respective UCONN careers and wondering if Bouk can maybe approach those heights next level. His high flying ability is greater than Ray's with his timed put backs and alleys. Ray stayed 3, but I know it ain't likely for Bouk. We havent had his kind of talent in a long time.

caw

Reaction Score
I'm raising a topic based on Ray and Bouk at this early stage of their respective UCONN careers and wondering if Bouk can maybe approach those heights next level. His high flying ability is greater than Ray's with his timed put backs and alleys. Ray stayed 3, but I know it ain't likely for Bouk. We havent had his kind of talent in a long time.

Ray didn’t have the putback dunks but he got on the break better and those dunks were as athletic as any of Bouks IMO. Especially his 180 reverse jams. I think he drove at the rim better also. Also his dunk on Tracy McGrady in the NBA was amazing. Not to forget his triple? clutch reverse layup against the Lakers in the finals.

I’d say Lamb was a similar talent, watching his NCAA game against SDSU and those two end of game steals, his dunk against Columbia? over that kid and his insane amount of floaters I think though different are similar to Bouks athletic abilities.

That said UConn hasn’t has an NBA level wing of Bouks caliber since Lamb and Bouk could probably end up better because he seems a bit smoother than Lamb.

Reaction Score
Bouknight has as high a ceiling of any player who has played here. I'm not saying he's a hall of famer or anything but the ability is there for basically anything at the next level.

Reaction Score
Ray emphatically dunked on Otis Hill as a freshman. I remember it looked like he was just pulling up for a shot. Sorta floated for a bit.... still looking like he was going to shoot. Then in mid air started to accelerate downward and forward toward the hoop and dunked on overrated Otis Hill

UKemba15

Some flies are too awesome for the wall.
Reaction Score
Bouknight has immense talent there's no doubt. And he may be a great player someday. But I do think people forget how much of a high flier Ray was. He wasn't just a shooter.

The play at 5:30 of this video is a good comp to what Bouk did today. Not quite as bananas, but very similar...maybe that’s the official “championship days are ahead” dunk.

Reaction Score
Two of the most disappointing post season losses for me were rays jr year vs miss state and Donyells missed FTs vs Florida. Loaded teams that should have won the whole thing. George mason hurt a lot too, but for me the other two hurt more.

Separately - how awesome was our fast break in that ray video?

Reaction Score
One of the hardest workers in the Calhoun era, RA returned a consistently better leader and player. If Bouk can attain those features, sky is the limit.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
You need a refresher course in early Ray.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
I think Bouknight can be a perennial all-star in the league, and honestly I think he's got a chance to be one of the best players in the NBA over the next decade. There's no guarantee that happens, but as a college freshman he can do whatever he wants with the ball in his hands. If he was somehow to stick around for his junior year, there's no question he will be a first-team All American and POY candidate. I seriously doubt he's here beyond next season, though, and it wouldn't surprise me if he was an AA next year either.

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
Also we cant just judge by athletic finishes. Otherwise Doug Wrenn would be a Husky of Honor and Andre Jackson will be clearly the best player we've ever had off the bat.

Reaction Score
Ez. Ray was so nasty let’s see what bouk does next year in BE. That dunk yesterday was ridiculous. But ray was super super explosive. Bouk right now reminds me so much of lamb. Ez relaxed sleepy game. So smooth

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Ray didn’t have the putback dunks but he got on the break better and those dunks were as athletic as any of Bouks IMO. Especially his 180 reverse jams. I think he drove at the rim better also. Also his dunk on Tracy McGrady in the NBA was amazing. Not to forget his triple? clutch reverse layup against the Lakers in the finals.

I’d say Lamb was a similar talent, watching his NCAA game against SDSU and those two end of game steals, his dunk against Columbia? over that kid and his insane amount of floaters I think though different are similar to Bouks athletic abilities.

That said UConn hasn’t has an NBA level wing of Bouks caliber since Lamb and Bouk could probably end up better because he seems a bit smoother than Lamb.

I think Bouk is clearly more talented than Jeremy Lamb, and I don't mean that as a knock on Lamb at all. Bouk is a slightly worse shooter, but he can get to the rim pretty much whenever he wants in addition to being a very good spot up shooter and even off the dribble. With his length, defenders have to guess right what he's going to do (catch and shoot, pull-up midrange jumper, or go to the rim) in order to defend him, and even then Bouk wins half the time.

The fact that Hurley found a diamond in the rough like Bouknight in only his 2nd season as our coach is a very, very good sign about his ability to recruit.

Reaction Score
Also we cant just judge by athletic finishes. Otherwise Doug Wrenn would be a Husky of Honor and Andre Jackson will be clearly the best player we've ever had off the bat.

How many athletic highlights did Doug Wrenn have in a UConn uniform? How many has Bouknight already had in his freshman season? Highlights are a habit for Bouknight. That should tell you something.

Reaction Score

Most athletic finishes for now is Stanley and there's a long way to go to find the next one. Maybe it will be Andre, Lord knows I hope so.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Since Ray had a pretty fair NBA career
Pretty fair?? Ray is a hall of famer. Bouknight is not in the same league as Allen. He reminds me more of Lamb, let's not forget how good Lamb was. Lamb was a lottery pick.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom