rating UConn for the big dance | The Boneyard

rating UConn for the big dance

Reaction Score
Arizona just beat Oregon by 15. Granted there were a lot of problems for us when we played, but Oregon made us look bad. Arizona handled them. When I look at Arizona's lineup, I don't see a lot of names I remember as top HS recruits. For a number of teams, like DePaul and Creighton, they seem to play a lot better than the rankings of their recruiting class, which we all seem to obsess over. Maybe it is just because a lot of very good HS players don

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
The Huskies lost Christyn, literally, 15 minutes before the game. Arizona didn’t lose their leading scorer right before they played Oregon, at home no less.

Games don’t exist in a vacuum and the transitive property (I beat you, you beat team A, so I can beat team A) doesn’t work in sports.

Reaction Score
I'd guess, based on the eye test at this moment, that nothing much would change from our last game with Arizona.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Adia Barnes is quickly becoming one of the best coaches in WBB. Her teams are relentless on defense. Last night they held Oregon to 36% shooting and 13% from 3. Sedona Prince, who had a big game against UConn, was a non-factor.

If Barnes can ramp up her recruiting to the next level, AZ will become a fixture in the top-10. With that said, I would love to see a completely healthy UConn team take on the Wildcats again.

Reaction Score
Adia Barnes is quickly becoming one of the best coaches in WBB. Her teams are relentless on defense. Last night they held Oregon to 36% shooting and 13% from 3. Sedona Prince, who had a big game against UConn, was a non-factor.

If Barnes can ramp up her recruiting to the next level, AZ will become a fixture in the top-10. With that said, I would love to see a completely healthy UConn team take on the Wildcats again.
Seems like some of the Boneyard forget that AZ was in the finals last year and last week barely lost to last year's champion, Standford, by a few points. AZ was able to match Cameron Brink's best game ever, 25 points and 15 rebounds, for most of the game. Regarding Dude's comment about Adia Barnes recruiting, she has received commitments from as many HS All Americans as UConn with a diverse class headlined by Maja Nuaji (F), and Paris Clark (G). Their games against Stanford the next few years will be classic.

Reaction Score
They have arrived in my opinion. She is a great coach who gets the most out of her players. Specifically, playing with heart and intensity. They play hard the whole game with no quit in them. I really like how they play. Not a team you want to have to play. I would love to see us get back to this place. Hungry, confident, and relentless.

Reaction Score
The Huskies lost Christyn, literally, 15 minutes before the game. Arizona didn’t lose their leading scorer right before they played Oregon, at home no less.

Games don’t exist in a vacuum and the transitive property (I beat you, you beat team A, so I can beat team A) doesn’t work in sports.
That should be posted under The Boneyard above. Arizona had a combination of offense and defense that Uconn minus CW could not attack. As much as I hated the outcome give Arizona and their coach credit good game plan good execution. ( I can now say that, my emotions have cooled.)

Reaction Score

It’s even more unpredictable than that in UCONN’s case where we have Team A (actual performance) and Team B ( potential performance) that display a significant gap. Should Team A move closer to Team B, and become the team that we expected to see from the getgo, we have a chance to beat anyone in our path.

Reaction Score
Arizona is now a force to be reckoned with! Someone said “relentless”. That is a perfect description of Barnes’ team! Oregon struggled to score 48 points! As for recruiting, she is already getting some very good players, next year she has #9, #21, #31, and #85 already signed and I believe she’s just getting started! She is very supportive of her players and has an “us against the world attitude that attracts a lot of tough, scrappy recruits.

Reaction Score
I'd guess, based on the eye test at this moment, that nothing much would change from our last game with Arizona.
I suggest A LOT has changed for Uconn. The bad, Paige out. The good Caroline stepping up, Muhl sinking more 3's, Edwards handing the post and an occasional 3, Dorka, when well, rebounding, posting 3's, ONO, much more mature, better handling the post, shoot the long shot well. I'd like our chances --especially if CD coached (kidding) Uconn as a team matured this past week. The team we had in the FF (without Paige) could not have come back as this team did.

Reaction Score
Barnes is a great coach of people. She gets her players to buy into the system extremely well, making good players great. If she ever gets top talent watch out.

Reaction Score
Arizona just beat Oregon by 15. Granted there were a lot of problems for us when we played, but Oregon made us look bad. Arizona handled them. When I look at Arizona's lineup, I don't see a lot of names I remember as top HS recruits. For a number of teams, like DePaul and Creighton, they seem to play a lot better than the rankings of their recruiting class, which we all seem to obsess over. Maybe it is just because a lot of very good HS players don
Ralph, if I were you I would stop listening to Ed Norton’s opinions. Plain fact is that with a healthy Paige, a healthy Azzi, a healthy CW, a healthy Ono, a healthy Caroline, a healthy Dorka, a healthy Westbrook, a healthy Aubrey Griffin, and a healthy Edwards, UConn has the most talented team in all of womens college basketball. Injuries happen.

Reaction Score
I think some of the other top teams tell themselves the same thing UConn's fans do, that "we have the most talented team"- but I want to get to the championship game and win it, not just Final Four. Thought we were going to do it with every team since Stewie, and I would tell myself that these other teams that knocked us out played the game of their lives, but I don't know now. Maybe talent levels have really equalized over last few years. I hope UConn will win it again, and man oh man do our chances improve if a healthy Paige returns to game form- and what a shame we don't have Aubrey this year- but South Carolina, Stanford, Arizona too I guess, on paper are as good as us if not even better and deeper too. It won't be easy, I'm not counting UConn out, I like how they are playing and gelling now, and I think tomorrow they lay down the law to Tennessee.

Reaction Score
Arizona roughed us up, banged us around, and the refs allowed it .. when we didn't punch back, game over, simple as that!

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Let me say this. Healthy and up to speed. UConn cant be stopped. We've overcome alot this season and I think we're ready for Tenn. Either way when Paige gets back and shes up to speed we cant be stopped. JMO

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
Ralph, if I were you I would stop listening to Ed Norton’s opinions. Plain fact is that with a healthy Paige, a healthy Azzi, a healthy CW, a healthy Ono, a healthy Caroline, a healthy Dorka, a healthy Westbrook, a healthy Aubrey Griffin, and a healthy Edwards, UConn has the most talented team in all of womens college basketball. Injuries happen.
Forgot A healthy Nika, she was injured, (same injury that shut her down this year) for the Arizona game. Didn't start played 30 minutes injured. Aubrey was played 7 minutes. She hopefully will use this year to develop, A shot, A hsndle, knowledge of the offense.

Reaction Score
Seems like some of the Boneyard forget that AZ was in the finals last year and last week barely lost to last year's champion, Standford, by a few points. AZ was able to match Cameron Brink's best game ever, 25 points and 15 rebounds, for most of the game. Regarding Dude's comment about Adia Barnes recruiting, she has received commitments from as many HS All Americans as UConn with a diverse class headlined by Maja Nuaji (F), and Paris Clark (G). Their games against Stanford the next few years will be classic.
Agree completely...

It is likely AZ will beat Oregon State tomorrow at home, and have the ability to beat Washington State at their place, which would out them as the 3rd seed for the PAC-10 tourney. Should they handle Oregon (likely 2nd seed), they will get another shot at Stanford to take down the defending PAC-10 tourney Champion Cardinal. By March 6th we will know how these scenarios finish...

May be classic this year already!

Reaction Score
This thread is way too early! Why do we have to talk about the tournament? UConn is progressing! No team in this galaxy has the upside of UConn. What if Paige comes back, say 80% (knock on wood) and Azzi starts hitting 5 3's a game and everyone else continues to play well and gel as a group. What are we even talking about?
Can this squad hitting on all cylinders make AZ look silly? I think so, for sure. Bottle up this thread and break it back out after the BE tournament! AZ? AZ? AZ?

Reaction Score
They have arrived in my opinion. She is a great coach who gets the most out of her players. Specifically, playing with heart and intensity. They play hard the whole game with no quit in them. I really like how they play. Not a team you want to have to play. I would love to see us get back to this place. Hungry, confident, and relentless.
Like UCONN was last year too?

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score

Barnes is indeed a rising star in the coaching ranks. If she could get the team trainer to tape her fingers together she will go far! ;)

Reaction Score
Like UCONN was last year too?
If they play defense like they did today, they have a chance. Everyone talks offense, the team's with Stewie would turn games with defense. That will be the key, you need 5 minutes to Seperate, and then you don't leave it to miracles.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom