Raphael "Blaze" Chillious | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Raphael "Blaze" Chillious

Reaction Score
For what it’s worth, my good friend is best friends with Chillious and I got to know him pretty well during his short time at UConn. I consider myself a pretty good judge of character and he always struck me as being above board and doing things the right way. The reason he was able to pull in recruits is because he’s very personable, he listens to what you’re saying and remembers small details. Most of the big recruits he pulled in at Washington because he had already been recruiting guys for 3-4 years before the Dooks and Kentucky’s of the world showed up. For some kids that matters. He cared about building relationships and the programs like UK just don’t do that. They spend very little time recruiting, they just swoop in at the last minute and pick who they need to fill their roster.

All this posturing about he would have taken money if all of these things happened (which didn’t) is ridiculous. That’s like saying as a married man if some hot celebrity hit on me in a bar I would have definitely slept with her. Some guys would, some wouldn’t. You can’t put a hypothetical on character because true character only comes out when you’re put in a position that shows what kind of person you are.

Reaction Score
For what it’s worth, my good friend is best friends with Chillious and I got to know him pretty well during his short time at UConn. I consider myself a pretty good judge of character and he always struck me as being above board and doing things the right way. The reason he was able to pull in recruits is because he’s very personable, he listens to what you’re saying and remembers small details. Most of the big recruits he pulled in at Washington because he had already been recruiting guys for 3-4 years before the Dooks and Kentucky’s of the world showed up. For some kids that matters. He cared about building relationships and the programs like UK just don’t do that. They spend very little time recruiting, they just swoop in at the last minute and pick who they need to fill their roster.

All this posturing about he would have taken money if all of these things happened (which didn’t) is ridiculous. That’s like saying as a married man if some hot celebrity hit on me in a bar I would have definitely slept with her. Some guys would, some wouldn’t. You can’t put a hypothetical on character because true character only comes out when you’re put in a position that shows what kind of person you are.
.....Fultz got 10k to go to Washington and Chillious claimed he was his price recruit......who do you think paid Fultz?......the payment showed up on a ledger.....do you think he was in the room with Dawkins for a spot of tea? Regardless of what happens with Ollie's firing the best thing for UCONN is Chillious is gone. UCONN escaped this scandal by a whisker......I bet the Admin was shaking in its boots when the NCAA told them he met Dawkins in Las Vegas with other coaches who got money....and they had proof he was there.......and promises to help him with all the ammunition he needed to get recruits......if he had such outstanding character why would he go to see Dawkins? He did not have to......he made that decision

Reaction Score
.....Fultz got 10k to go to Washington and Chillious claimed he was his price recruit.who do you think paid Fultz?.the payment showed up on a ledger.....do you think he was in the room with Dawkins for a spot of tea? Regardless of what happens with Ollie's firing the best thing for UCONN is Chillious is gone. UCONN escaped this scandal by a whisker.I bet the Admin was shaking in its boots when the NCAA told them he met Dawkins in Las Vegas with other coaches who got money....and they had proof he was there..and promises to help him with all the ammunition he needed to get recruits.if he had such outstanding character why would he go to see Dawkins? He did not have to.he made that decision

Ok, well I shared my experience and you responded with an opinion from a topic you know nothing about on a guy you’ve never met. You’re right, I’m wrong. Not sure what the point of your post is. If Chillious were guilty of doing anything he would have been indicted in this investigation. The fact that he was brought up and it was specifically stated that he never took $$ speaks against whatever narrative you have in your mind. The college b-ball recruiting world is small and just because someone talked to a guy who was paying people to steer them toward top schools doesn’t mean they’re guilty. If anything, the fact that a Chillious was seen or met with this guy and proven to have not taken $$ speaks more to his character than random fans speculating on what he might have done if given the chance.

C

Chief00

.....Fultz got 10k to go to Washington and Chillious claimed he was his price recruit.who do you think paid Fultz?.the payment showed up on a ledger.....do you think he was in the room with Dawkins for a spot of tea? Regardless of what happens with Ollie's firing the best thing for UCONN is Chillious is gone. UCONN escaped this scandal by a whisker.I bet the Admin was shaking in its boots when the NCAA told them he met Dawkins in Las Vegas with other coaches who got money....and they had proof he was there..and promises to help him with all the ammunition he needed to get recruits.if he had such outstanding character why would he go to see Dawkins? He did not have to.he made that decision
You have the benefit of hindsight on who was engaging in criminal conduct. It’s unclear to Chief if Chill knew it or didn’t know - so he is innocent unless proven otherwise criminally and even on the BY I think you still ideally should have some evidence other than guilt by association.

Reaction Score
This guy is one of the keynote speakers at an event I’m attending in NYC in a couple of weeks.

Wow big opportunity for him. I hope he doesn’t blow it.

Reaction Score
Ok, well I shared my experience and you responded with an opinion from a topic you know nothing about on a guy you’ve never met. You’re right, I’m wrong. Not sure what the point of your post is. If Chillious were guilty of doing anything he would have been indicted in this investigation. The fact that he was brought up and it was specifically stated that he never took $$ speaks against whatever narrative you have in your mind. The college b-ball recruiting world is small and just because someone talked to a guy who was paying people to steer them toward top schools doesn’t mean they’re guilty. If anything, the fact that a Chillious was seen or met with this guy and proven to have not taken $$ speaks more to his character than random fans speculating on what he might have done if given the chance.
I am referring in my post as to what the NCAA would do.....nothing regarding anything criminal.

He was not offered money given the state of UCONN basketball, so only he knows what he would have done if it was offered.

His character was not called into question on that issue. Nor does it support your position.

NCAA investigations are not criminal investigations nor are they looking into whether a crime was committed unless the investigation uncovers one.

So when you connect the dots of what happened in Washington with Fultz, and then the meeting.......the NCAA might just be a little concerned that, from what I understand, was a private meeting in a Las Vegas Hotel with Dawkins and representatives of Addias and not Nike.

He may very well have an explanation, and I understand his purpose of being in Las Vegas was legitimate......but after this trial, the NCAA will have an opportunity to get the entire transcript from the meeting..........and in my opinion, the best possible position for UCONN is that he is no longer employed here.

It may support his character or not........but UCONN does not need to be in any cross hairs of the NCAA again.

Reaction Score
I am referring in my post as to what the NCAA would do.....nothing regarding anything criminal.

He was not offered money given the state of UCONN basketball, so only he knows what he would have done if it was offered.

His character was not called into question on that issue. Nor does it support your position.

NCAA investigations are not criminal investigations nor are they looking into whether a crime was committed unless the investigation uncovers one.

So when you connect the dots of what happened in Washington with Fultz, and then the meeting..the NCAA might just be a little concerned that, from what I understand, was a private meeting in a Las Vegas Hotel with Dawkins and representatives of Addias and not Nike.

He may very well have an explanation, and I understand his purpose of being in Las Vegas was legitimate.but after this trial, the NCAA will have an opportunity to get the entire transcript from the meeting.....and in my opinion, the best possible position for UCONN is that he is no longer employed here.

It may support his character or not...but UCONN does not need to be in any cross hairs of the NCAA again.

“You [would] have the resources and ammunition, if [you] need it,” Dawkins told then UConn assistant Raphael Chillious of how the deal would help him. Chillious got no money, but he pledged his “1000-percent” support to the idea and made it was clear he needed money for recruiting.
“And you know need,” Chillious said, jokingly.

C

Chief00

“You [would] have the resources and ammunition, if [you] need it,” Dawkins told then UConn assistant Raphael Chillious of how the deal would help him. Chillious got no money, but he pledged his “1000-percent” support to the idea and made it was clear he needed money for recruiting.
Is there somewhere one can read the entire transcript not someone’s interpretation of select words. For example, what does “jokingly” mean?

Reaction Score
Didn't realize Chillious had been recorded. Wonder how this might impact the Ollie negotiations.

Reaction Score
Is there somewhere one can read the entire transcript not someone’s interpretation of select words. For example, what does “jokingly” mean?
As stated in previous post.....the feds will not release it to the NCAA until trials are over......just reporters watching the trial.

Reaction Score
Hopefully, no one will take this the wrong way, but are we suppose to believe an assistant coach gets $4,500 then sways one of the top recruits in the country to a sneaker company AND his school AND pockets the remainder?
This trial was not about the recruits.....first trial was and the dollar amount went up to $100,000.00......this trial was about bribing college coaches to steer them to Dawkins......Chilious was apparently interested in recruiting money

pj

Reaction Score
Hopefully, no one will take this the wrong way, but are we suppose to believe an assistant coach gets $4,500 then sways one of the top recruits in the country to a sneaker company AND his school AND pockets the remainder?

If recruits are that cheap, then it's no wonder Calipari and K have sufficient budget room to get them.

If recruits are that cheap, one wonders why Will Wade and Western Kentucky don't get more of them. Coaches get paid several million per year, surely a coach could spare $5k for a 4* recruit. Why even use sneaker money? It would just be one more potential snitch.

Chief, I'm with you. It's not plausible $4.5k is meaningful.

Reaction Score
If recruits are that cheap, then it's no wonder Calipari and K have sufficient budget room to get them.

If recruits are that cheap, one wonders why Will Wade and Western Kentucky don't get more of them. Coaches get paid several million per year, surely a coach could spare $5k for a 4* recruit. Why even use sneaker money? It would just be one more potential snitch.

Chief, I'm with you. It's not plausible $4.5k is meaningful.

you aren't getting it.......the recruits or there friends...get paid separately from what is at issue here.......for example Fultz got 10K....his high school coach got 30K.....

The offer on the table is to pay the assistant coaches to steer the recruit to the adviser and pay the recruits to go to the schools where the coaches have been paid to steer the recruit to that adviser. So yes, Chief is right but neither you nor him seem to understand the entire scheme. The first trial was about payment to recruits etc. This trial is about bribing the assistant coaches.......hence the much lower dollar amount. This money goes to the coach....not the recruit unless the coach decides otherwise,

pj

Reaction Score
you aren't getting it..the recruits or there friends...get paid separately from what is at issue here..for example Fultz got 10K....his high school coach got 30K.....

The offer on the table is to pay the assistant coaches to steer the recruit to the adviser and pay the recruits to go to the schools where the coaches have been paid to steer the recruit to that adviser. So yes, Chief is right but neither you nor him seem to understand the entire scheme. The first trial was about payment to recruits etc. This trial is about bribing the assistant coaches..hence the much lower dollar amount. This money goes to the coach....not the recruit unless the coach decides otherwise,

You're right, I don't get it. These assistants are getting annual salaries of $300k. Is $4k meaningful for them? Especially if it could be illegal? Or an NCAA violation that jeopardizes their ability to stay employed?

Reaction Score
You're right, I don't get it. These assistants are getting annual salaries of $300k. Is $4k meaningful for them? Especially if it could be illegal? Or an NCAA violation that jeopardizes their ability to stay employed?

It's 5k to do something they have likely no opinion on and might even not follow through on and that up to now nobody gave a care about.

It's like if someone gave you 1k to have your significant other go to a certain hairdresser. You want what's best for your SO, and this person is putting their money where there mouth is. Maybe you put in that good word. Neither you nor your SO will likely notice a difference in the cut quality. Maybe in the end you find your integrity and don't even bring it up. Still get to keep the money.

C

Chief00

It's 5k to do something they have likely no opinion on and might even not follow through on and that up to now nobody gave a care about.

It's like if someone gave you 1k to have your significant other go to a certain hairdresser. You want what's best for your SO, and this person is putting their money where there mouth is. Maybe you put in that good word. Neither you nor your SO will likely notice a difference in the cut quality. Maybe in the end you find your integrity and don't even bring it up. Still get to keep the money.
Also trying to understand the crime - I guess it would be stuff such as mail fraud, bank and tax fraud. People get legally paid to influence others all the time - so is it really about the mechanics of how someone is being compensated from an FBI perspective? I understand NCAA association rules are different but breaking those isn’t necessarily a crime.

Reaction Score
Thanks but this dude is pleading guilty to accepting $22,000 not $4,500. I could see how the $22,000 could happen. Gives the recruit or family proxy $10,000 to $15,000 and pockets the rest.

The $4,500 is part of the total $22,000 that he admits too... who knows how much they haven’t connected dots to.

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
Now we know why the athletic dept is losing money...

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom