Randy has become unhinged

Status
Not open for further replies.

Uconnalliance

Please cancel the program all hope is lost
Reaction Score
When was the pic taken ? Michigan game?when he was failing at his dream job

Reaction Score

The same plan is on the table that was presumably on the table between Benedict and Edsall when Edsall was hired. Benedict believed that no one could win with the program that was inherited, and that it would take a full roster of Edsall players -- which in football means 5 classes -- before you could expect to have a competitive program.

Now, you can think that Benedict was wrong in accepting Edsall's time frame and limitations ab initio. Or you can think that it was acceptable for Benedict to sign up for that coming in, but that 6 wins in 3 years is below what even sucking should mean. Both perfectly rational positions and, as I keep saying, I'm not going to waste my time defending the performance of the last three years. But what Benedict is doing is sticking to his plan and, knowing his financial limitations and how hard it would be to get another coach with options to come in and take over an independent UConn (and any other coach would have quit when the conference move was made without being consulted), you are free to not like the plan but please stop pretending that you don't know what it is or that there wasn't one. Edsall was hired to keep his mouth shut on realignment and see if he could rebuild the program in 4 or 5 years. You think he will fail? Absolutely rational conclusion. But don't pretend that Benedict isn't aware of what you are aware and doesn't have a plan that makes sense to him.
can we pin this post to the top of the football board

Reaction Score
The blind loyalty to UConn football over the years has led to the current crisis. Boneyard members and other FB fans need to speak loudly and clearly: UConn needs a nationally respected football program in FBS.
Thanks for enlightening us.

Reaction Score
If the only strategy Randy and Dave could come up with to win a game is to dump everyone -- that is really sad. Diaco was a bad coach but he was able to bring some promising recruits. They were not properly coached.

"Diaco...was able to bring some promising recruits."

Please, please go away. Diaco recruits, all 55 DE/TE hybrids that he brought in, were the worst collection and distribution of talent that any "coach" could feasibly collect given that he could offer them a free college scholarship. With Diaco's many, many deficiencies, his inability to recruit players is by far the most inept.

Reaction Score
i didn’t care for Randy’s style the first time he was here.
His teams lack of explosiveness were a big reason why UConn FB never grabbed the states sports fans like basketball did.
I believe it was there for the asking but that bus has left the station.
However he seems to have a good eye for talent and his player development
seems to be better than his successors. These attributes will return football to at least mediocrity if not respect. That‘s the Randy upside plus works pretty cheap.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
i didn’t care for Randy’s style the first time he was here. His teams lack of explosiveness were a big reason why UConn FB never grabbed the states sports fans like basketball did.
1575994037584.png

Reaction Score
Based on the sketchy whereabouts of the 49 players who've left the program, supposedly for greener pastures or to enter the portal, or to stop playing altogether, I'm inclined to think Edsall does indeed have a plan. And if the coming recruits and new portal/JC additions provide a demonstrable improvement, it will increase attendance, ratify our ability to schedule as an independent, and vindicate Benedict's faith in Edsall turning the program around. Then when Edsall leaves we'll have something real to offer a viable HC replacement, along with a likely larger salary pool to attract better assistants. I’m all in on this 5 year plan scenario. Now give us a workable TV/streaming package and I’ll keep playing the fight song and getting ready for spring practice with hopeful anticipation, which is exactly what all of us should be doing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom