Randy has become unhinged | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Randy has become unhinged

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Husky68 is right on! If UConn coaches/administrators fail at their jobs time to send them packing. Has any reporter asked Randy or Benedict what is football going to do different in 2020 or 2021 so we have a winning season. I bet there is no plan on the table.

The same plan is on the table that was presumably on the table between Benedict and Edsall when Edsall was hired. Benedict believed that no one could win with the program that was inherited, and that it would take a full roster of Edsall players -- which in football means 5 classes -- before you could expect to have a competitive program.

Now, you can think that Benedict was wrong in accepting Edsall's time frame and limitations ab initio. Or you can think that it was acceptable for Benedict to sign up for that coming in, but that 6 wins in 3 years is below what even sucking should mean. Both perfectly rational positions and, as I keep saying, I'm not going to waste my time defending the performance of the last three years. But what Benedict is doing is sticking to his plan and, knowing his financial limitations and how hard it would be to get another coach with options to come in and take over an independent UConn (and any other coach would have quit when the conference move was made without being consulted), you are free to not like the plan but please stop pretending that you don't know what it is or that there wasn't one. Edsall was hired to keep his mouth shut on realignment and see if he could rebuild the program in 4 or 5 years. You think he will fail? Absolutely rational conclusion. But don't pretend that Benedict isn't aware of what you are aware and doesn't have a plan that makes sense to him.

Reaction Score

The same plan is on the table that was presumably on the table between Benedict and Edsall when Edsall was hired. Benedict believed that no one could win with the program that was inherited, and that it would take a full roster of Edsall players -- which in football means 5 classes -- before you could expect to have a competitive program.

Now, you can think that Benedict was wrong in accepting Edsall's time frame and limitations ab initio. Or you can think that it was acceptable for Benedict to sign up for that coming in, but that 6 wins in 3 years is below what even sucking should mean. Both perfectly rational positions and, as I keep saying, I'm not going to waste my time defending the performance of the last three years. But what Benedict is doing is sticking to his plan and, knowing his financial limitations and how hard it would be to get another coach with options to come in and take over an independent UConn (and any other coach would have quit when the conference move was made without being consulted), you are free to not like the plan but please stop pretending that you don't know what it is or that there wasn't one. Edsall was hired to keep his mouth shut on realignment and see if he could rebuild the program in 4 or 5 years. You think he will fail? Absolutely rational conclusion. But don't pretend that Benedict isn't aware of what you are aware and doesn't have a plan that makes sense to him.
Hard to believe there was ever any "plan" -- unless it was a plan that would have UConn winning one or two games a year. There is no rebuilding process in place, either. Winning one or two games a year -- that is a plan to eliminate FBS level football and maybe send UConn to FCS or below. It appears to me the Board of Trustees is protecting Benedict. Perhaps, getting rid of the football team is the real "plan" backed by the board and the current and former governors. I say no to this. UConn Nation should say the same. This month is the time to get a new coach. We need to be at least at a 6 - 6 record each year. I think Steve Addazio could achieve this. Despite the naysayers, as the team improves and gets higher in the rankings, we could become competitive for a Power 5 invite. And next time we can't mess it up.

Reaction Score
Addazio would be able to recruit more effectively than Randy. He would have higher standards for offensive and defensive coordinators. He is respected by CT and Mass. high school coaches and is at least known by high school coaches in Florida, Texas etc. He is also is doing an effective but not perfect job at BC. Edsall was weak at Maryland and his UConn success was a long time ago.

Reaction Score
That actually says it all. That's not a plan, that's a goal. If you bring Dazzler in now, what do you think his plan to get to 6-6 is going to be?
He knows how to coach OL. What he was able to do in bringing back BC's OL was pretty good. He took at least 1 grad transfer in every year for the OL, let the 2 star players redshirt and get stronger and built depth. And he never recruited a QB better than Uconn's QB and still found ways to win half his games. His plan will be the same as he had at BC. He took over a program that was as bad as Uconn. He may not be the answer for Uconn but he knows how to build in a competitive environment. Find someone like him, but RE's plan is not working.

Reaction Score
If the premise is that Edsall’s recruits (albeit better than Diaco’s) are still not good enough how long do we give the next coach (Addazio or whomever) before we show them the door as they try to upgrade the talent that is still lacking if the wins don’t immediately follow the first couple of classes?

Beyond that why would any coach with options, in the midst of this uncertainty take a job that pays head coach+entire staff less than what Rutgers head coach alone makes.

Factor in a fan base that has had a noticeable portion advocating to downgrade or end the program to devote resources to basketball and its hard to envision any established coach making the jump.

That leaves you looking for the diamond in the rough coach, one without significant FBS offers... which sounds ironically like the criticism lobbed at one of last night’s commits.

You give Edsall the year and take the season trying to uncover your diamond in the rough if necessary. Don’t be delusional enough to think there isn’t the possibility or even the likelihood that based on the current level of investment into the program that, that diamond in the rough will be the magic recruiter or have some grand scheme that mitigates the talent disparity. It may come down to it, but the time isn’t now... recurring posts like this crap only continue the negative narrative around the program, deepening the hole and making it that much harder to attract recruits or the next coach.

Reaction Score
If the premise is that Edsall’s recruits (albeit better than Diaco’s) are still not good enough how long do we give the next coach (Addazio or whomever) before we show them the door as they try to upgrade the talent that is still lacking if the wins don’t immediately follow the first couple of classes?

Beyond that why would any coach with options, in the midst of this uncertainty take a job that pays head coach+entire staff less than what Rutgers head coach alone makes.

Factor in a fan base that has had a noticeable portion advocating to downgrade or end the program to devote resources to basketball and its hard to envision any established coach making the jump.

That leaves you looking for the diamond in the rough coach, one without significant FBS offers... which sounds ironically like the criticism lobbed at one of last night’s commits.

You give Edsall the year and take the season trying to uncover your diamond in the rough if necessary. Don’t be delusional enough to think there isn’t the possibility or even the likelihood that based on the current level of investment into the program that, that diamond in the rough will be the magic recruiter or have some grand scheme that mitigates the talent disparity. It may come down to it, but the time isn’t now... recurring posts like this crap only continue the negative narrative around the program, deepening the hole and making it that much harder to attract recruits or the next coach.
If fans do not rise up when the program is heading to a likely demise, then they are not real fans. They are a group blinded by misguided loyalty. If we do nothing, UConn may totally eliminate the FB program.

Reaction Score
. He would have higher standards for offensive and defensive coordinators. .

LMAO. Higher standards for coordinators? You have to hire the best you can given what the position and the salary level will attract. You don't think Edsall wouldn't like to have more money to pay assistants? You think he likes dipping into his own pocket to pay people? How off the wall would one have to be to believe that?

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Addazio would be able to recruit more effectively than Randy. He would have higher standards for offensive and defensive coordinators. He is respected by CT and Mass. high school coaches and is at least known by high school coaches in Florida, Texas etc. He is also is doing an effective but not perfect job at BC. Edsall was weak at Maryland and his UConn success was a long time ago.
If our aspiration is Addazio just shut it down.

Reaction Score
If fans do not rise up when the program is heading to a likely demise, then they are not real fans. They are a group blinded by misguided loyalty. If we do nothing, UConn may totally eliminate the FB program.

I don't disagree with you. I just think that conclusion is justified not by who our head coach is but by the decision to leave the American.

Reaction Score

I think the fans have made it abundantly clear.. the empty seats throughout the Rent demonstrate the problem. You need to win. The question is, what’s quicker winning with whatever Edsall is building or starting over. Right-now that isn’t clear.. give the chance for the first Edsall class to at least be upper-classmen and then make the call.

That’s not blind support.. that’s reality. Venting is good, valid criticism is great. Starting another nonsense post about our ‘unhinged’ coach based on a tweet celebrating a commitment to the program is simply being destructive.

Reaction Score
Husky68 is right on! If UConn coaches/administrators fail at their jobs time to send them packing. Has any reporter asked Randy or Benedict what is football going to do different in 2020 or 2021 so we have a winning season. I bet there is no plan on the table.
True they both need to go. This program hasn't shown any improvement since he took over, His play calling is terrible and predictable. We have become the worse and most boring program in the country. Our athletic director has done a terrible job.

Reaction Score
He knows how to coach OL. What he was able to do in bringing back BC's OL was pretty good. He took at least 1 grad transfer in every year for the OL, let the 2 star players redshirt and get stronger and built depth. And he never recruited a QB better than Uconn's QB and still found ways to win half his games. His plan will be the same as he had at BC. He took over a program that was as bad as Uconn. He may not be the answer for Uconn but he knows how to build in a competitive environment. Find someone like him, but RE's plan is not working.
Not going to argue the facts or debate that UConn has been good. Using Adazzio as a proxy though, what exact concrete way do you get the administration to pony up about 2.5 million more per year for coaching salaries to make this happen (assuming another mil or so for the head coach and a mil or so for these better assistants). My winning Megamillions tomorrow cannot be the only answer...

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
Rising up on the Boneyard is misguided. All you are doing, along with HuskySupporter and UConn68 is repeating the same mantra multiple times per thread that will not get you anywhere. It isn't even good therapy!! IF you want answers, call the school and see if you can talk to Benedict or someone in the athletic department. Tell them you are concerned about football. Come back here and tell us the results.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score

The plan is in front of your face. Turn over the roster with guys who will buy into the Edsall way of doing things in hopes to restore a respectable FB program.

You may look for a higher ceiling, but do the circumstances around the program really support that over the next 3 years?

Program was flat dead when Edsall took over. Disagree with how he handled the roster be inherited if you wish, but we aren't there and it wasn't going to make much of a difference. I can only think of one guy (Donaldson) who probably deserved a better shot to play and that was disproven by the play of the WR's who were put out there.

Reaction Score
The blind loyalty to UConn football over the years has led to the current crisis. Boneyard members and other FB fans need to speak loudly and clearly: UConn needs a nationally respected football program in FBS.
Very well said !

Reaction Score
The plan is in front of your face. Turn over the roster with guys who will buy into the Edsall way of doing things in hopes to restore a respectable FB program.

You may look for a higher ceiling, but do the circumstances around the program really support that over the next 3 years?

Program was flat dead when Edsall took over. Disagree with how he handled the roster be inherited if you wish, but we aren't there and it wasn't going to make much of a difference. I can only think of one guy (Donaldson) who probably deserved a better shot to play and that was disproven by the play of the WR's who were put out there.
Loyal doesnt see the plan. The guy just removed all of BD's players in three years. Would have done it sooner if he wasn't restricted to bringing in 25 players a year. He couldnt do it any faster.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I think Steve Addazio could achieve this. Despite the naysayers, as the team improves and gets higher in the rankings, we could become competitive for a Power 5 invite.
1575926146601.png

Meh. It's better than Randy's career history and if would be a big step forward to be eligible for a bowl 7 of 9 years... but meh.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
The Dazzler won that first year with Al Golden's kids. If you hate our offense now, tell me how well you will like the Power I. That is Addazio's offense.

He is a good OL coach but he isn't coming here. Read quotes about how he goes downfield. Play action pass and throws down the middle to the tight end. He has less imagination than we do.

And remember something, Addazio has had the luck of a down UConn and for the most part Syracuse to deal with. He had the ACC to show recruits. And then he went out and produced .500 years.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Rise up?
Take to the street snowflakes
Lets wear pink helmets
Let's have a sit in at DBs office

Yeah if we don't protest we aren't real fans and we are misguided - says you junior
show us the way being you want to hitch your star to Addazio!!!!

Reaction Score
Loyal doesnt see the plan. The guy just removed all of BD's players in three years. Would have done it sooner if he wasn't restricted to bringing in 25 players a year. He couldnt do it any faster.
If the only strategy Randy and Dave could come up with to win a game is to dump everyone -- that is really sad. Diaco was a bad coach but he was able to bring some promising recruits. They were not properly coached.

Reaction Score
Rise up?
Take to the street snowflakes
Lets wear pink helmets
Let's have a sit in at DBs office

Yeah if we don't protest we aren't real fans and we are misguided - says you junior
show us the way being you want to hitch your star to Addazio!!!!
I'd rather UConn wear pink helmets than none at all. Take a look at this list -- colleges which stopped
playing football. BU, Fairfield and Vermont are all on the list. Let's make sure UConn doesn't get onto it.

Reaction Score
Enough. You made your point that u think the HC should go in about 20 different threads (and usually multiple times in each thread). WE ALL F’g GET IT.

take your big man AD overthrow approach to the admin. My guess is you’d rather yell anonymously on a message board.

oh, and try to stick to facts and please don’t ever tell us disco could recruit. You sound sillier than the guy arguing BC never recruited a qb higher rated than us

Reaction Score
Rising up on the Boneyard is misguided. All you are doing, along with HuskySupporter and UConn68 is repeating the same mantra multiple times per thread that will not get you anywhere. It isn't even good therapy!! IF you want answers, call the school and see if you can talk to Benedict or someone in the athletic department. Tell them you are concerned about football. Come back here and tell us the results.
They don’t care what football fans think. It’s all about the orange ball.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom