Randy Edsall to retire @ end of season | Page 12 | The Boneyard

Randy Edsall to retire @ end of season

Reaction Score
isn't that part of the problem? that UConn admissions won't let them in for the most part?

You also have to be really careful with the JUCO kids. One of Kansas' biggest issues historically is that they've taken a bunch of JUCO kids and as soon as a coach gets fired or a class goes bad, they have like half a roster
Ok maybe not that hard lol but definitely should be more of an option.

Reaction Score
Ok maybe not that hard lol but definitely should be more of an option.
yes we definitely need to use it more than we have, but we shouldn't be hinging our future on it. mostly because we can't.

Reaction Score
Especially since the vultures are probably already contacting our recruits. And there is not going to be a new coach named before the signing period to combat it.
Worse case scenario is UConn’s last game is November 27th — NCAA D1 early signing period starts December 15th.

I see no reason why a new coach couldn’t be named before the final game either. It’s a “retirement”, not a termination.

Reaction Score
how many of these kids did you think were going to stick around after watching us go 0-12, anyway?
A new coach always brings juice and hope. Randy kept just about everyone from Diacos class when he was hired.

As bad as we are, I can't imagine losing to Yale, and Umass and Vanderbilt are also almost equally as bad. There is a chance we have the same 2 or 3 wins we always seem to have

Reaction Score
RE 1.0 had a great eye for talent - both players and coaches.

Really don't know what happened. Did he lose it, or was he not able to make the hires he wanted to make due to financial constraints?
Some of the credit of the success of RE1.0 has to go to the assistant coaches that Edsall hired. Todd Orlando, Rob Ambrose, Joe Morehead, and a few others.

Purple Stein

I like to sim things.
Reaction Score
A new coach always brings juice and hope. Randy kept just about everyone from Diacos class when he was hired.

As bad as we are, I can't imagine losing to Yale, and Umass and Vanderbilt are also almost equally as bad. There is a chance we have the same 2 or 3 wins we always seem to have
Yale is no worse than Holy Cross. We may surprise against Vandy - not sure about UMass.

Somewhere, between those 3 games, there may be a win.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score

You can't imagine losing to Yale.. a day after seeing us lose to Holy Cross?

Reaction Score
Amen to that. Moorhead would be a slam dunk if we can get him.
He's making $900K as OC at Oregon, so double that might do it
if he believes he can turn UConn around and build towards a bigger job........or become Geno and make UConn the bigger job!

Reaction Score
Worse case scenario is UConn’s last game is November 27th — NCAA D1 early signing period starts December 15th.

I see no reason why a new coach couldn’t be named before the final game either. It’s a “retirement”, not a termination.

That's great then my bad. I thought it was in November could have confused it with BB.
Still a problem though in that everyone is getting a head start on them now and minds could be made up by the time we name one. If we are hiring a current HC we would most likely have to wait for their season to play out so as not to disrupt their present programs.

jbdphi

Aussie Aussie Aussie!
Reaction Score
It’s obviously the right move for RE to move on and I think this retirement arrangement also makes sense. I appreciate that those who want to punish him for his stubbornness and inability to field a competitive team, firing him immediately would make them feel better but I think it would be bad overall for the longer term health of the program. This allows RE to keep some dignity while we’re allowed to be very public in our search and make real progress very early. This announcement is probably the best news I’ve heard about UConn football in a very long time (which is sad as hell).

Reaction Score
You can't imagine losing to Yale.. a day after seeing us lose to Holy Cross?

They didn't play last year, will be younger since their seniors are not allowed to come back, and I had a source tell me they just started practicing because of covid. Certainly a winnable game I would think. We are talking the Ivy league here.

Reaction Score
I was never crazy about the idea of bringing HCRE back, but I don't totally blame him for what has happened. If he knew that UConn Athletics was going to dump the football program on the side of the road when they took the turn onto Big East Boulevard, I don't think he would have ever taken the job. I do believe he tried to make the best of a no win situation and I think this is a proper way to deal with his departure. The question at this point is less about who replaces Randy and more about what is the real future of the football program and what kind of commitment the University and UConn Nation will make towards this program.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
Reaction Score

It's possible, but if we're looking at current head coaches whose teams are doing well near the end of the season wouldn't we be prohibited from "tampering" with other schools' employees?

My hope is we go after a successful young head coach (who knows what's entailed in running a program), not a coordinator or someone near retirement. Reasons? Pasqualoni and Diaco. One was out of touch with modern football and the other was simply out of it.

Reaction Score
Hey Guys,

You know, in 1958, the Ford Motor Company spent $2.19B (in 2021 $) on marketing & promotion of a new car model that was supposed to be the "future of the family automobile." It was called the Edsel.

The 1958 recession hurt its chances, but the main reason the Edsel quickly failed to succeed was because people simply thought it "looked funny." By 1960, Ford had pulled the plug on that financial disaster, AND they didn't even wait for the end of their production season to retire the Edsel. They "fired" the car on the spot!

After all UConn has been through with OUR EDSALL, I'm still angry enough to have wanted Benedict to fire Randy yesterday right after that pathetic loss to HC. RE 2.0 football really hurt the school that we love. To me, this Edsel NEVER passed the eye test either, & his brand of football always "looked funny" to me too.

So "allowing" such a terrible, losing coach, who walked out on us so abruptly not that long ago, to further sully the Huskies' sidelines & the lives of these young athletes for a minute more is completely unfathomable to me. It stinks!

Yeah, you can say that Benedict allowed OUR EDSALL to take the high road of end -of-season retirement out with dignity. That was probably because of his performance in transitioning Huskie FB into the FBS football & our subsequent moderate, brief success in RE 1.0. That may be the case.

But many of us DO NOT FEEL that UConn's Edsall should receive ANY dignity or accolades other than a 'boot to the patoot' for his longtime losing performance - across the board. Thanks for screwing up UConn Football, Zit-Hed! Enjoy all that unearned UConn money in retirement, EDSEL!

Father Demo

Reaction Score
Randy Edsall is playing UConn football god. He knows he built this program from the ground up, now it’s his choice to stick around and make sure to destroy as much of it as possible. If he had any dignity he’d walk away today. This is his ego at its finest.
That’s a pretty outlandish statement. He’s not going to intentionally sabotage the program. His ego will want wins.

Reaction Score
Think Tom Herman would come here?
It's a great idea, but wasn't he earning close to 6 million a year at Texas? The tightwads in Connecticut don't understand for excellence you need to pay. Even if we get a decent replacement for Edsall, it will be a fight to get sufficient salary for decent offensive and defensive coordinators. Look at who we got in their now.

Reaction Score
I just don’t get the posters saying Edsall should be replaced by an interim coach. Have those people looked at the coaching staff? Who is even qualified? If there was a strong assistant coach I would go with an interim coach, but I just don’t see that person on the staff.

Benedict needed to allow Edsall to coach the rest of the season to keep managing the team and not let the team totally implode.

Randy retiring is the best outcome for everyone. It gives Benedict months to do a thorough search and Randy’s soft landing exit will be noticed by potential replacements especially after the Ollie firing mess.

Reaction Score
I think this a BS move all around. He and the coaches will not be recruiting at all or if they are with no chance success. Come play for the next guy at UConn. We will let you know who he is sometime.

He should have been fired. The team will be no better with him versus an interim head coach until the end of the year. If DB sacked up and fired him, an interim coach and remain8ng staff would be on an audition And could have had a chance recruiting and build a reason to be retained. The next coach will not be named until the end of their season so that is about 90 days of no recruiting. That is a pretty big hole.

which is exactly why David Benedict may need to name a HC before mid November. WE ... rarely get kids September to mid November. WE are a program that loves to watch kids play their senior year (that is unlike the P5 that is pretty set ... that means we have a fairly open field about some) - particularly about OLine and RB recruits. This is a key 6 weeks and we need to have some ideas come December One.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom