Randy Edsall to retire @ end of season | Page 10 | The Boneyard

Randy Edsall to retire @ end of season

Reaction Score
Probably, but a distnction without a difference. A bit sad, actually. I feel kinda like when Nixon got on the helicopter. He did some really good things but was a total failure in others. The one major difference is that Randy's values are above reproach and Nixon ... well we won't get into politics.
There is no joy in seeing somebody fail. Sadly, he didn’t have the self awareness to change very destructive habits like indulging his ego with intransigence on the dumbest things like sticking with a QB who was failing, sticking with a disaster DC, not hiring a real OC, etc.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Great seeing you again yesterday as well. And outstanding post. Although I'd love to hear more about Lashlee's evaluation of the talent playing a role.
Lashlee’s offense, by design will keep the defense on their heels during possessions where it clicks and waste almost no clock time on possessions where it doesn’t click. At its best it will still have some possessions where it doesn’t click. The defense we had the year Lashlee ran the offense couldn’t stop anyone. The time consumed during the scoring drives we gave up were basically dependent on how much time the opponent wanted to consume. A 19 second three and out after giving up an eight minute scoring drive wouldn’t work. Lashlee realized this so he adjusted to something that would at least kill some clock if it didn’t pile up first downs. Slowing down the offense was a matter of practicality, not a matter of stubborn Edsall winning out.

In a perfect world, Lashlee would have run his offense, it would have been at a minimum somewhat effective and he would have been in line a few years down the road for something better, either here or elsewhere. Our defense wasn’t going to be good enough to allow this for at least a few years so remaining here would have had him withering while running something he didn’t really want to run. His family didn’t like the northeast, our defense prevented him from running the offense he wanted and a southern school (in a very fertile recruiting ground) came calling. It was a very easy decision for him. If we had a defense something close to what we had anywhere from 2003-2015 he would have been able to run his offense full bore and he may well have considered staying.

Reaction Score
It would take far more than a good hire. It also requires a much higher budget for staff and recruiting, and much more flexibility in the academic and integrity qualifications of football players. Not to mention how we recruit as an independent with no chance to play for conference championships and limited access to bowl games.

It's really easy and simplistic to blame "idiots" not as smart as you for bad hires. It's much more difficult to ask whether we can or should expect the Governor to appoint Trustees who are willing to risk us being Baylor in scandals to have Baylor's improvement in football since we beat them home and home. I doubt the state is willing to support that level of relaxed standards.

But yeah, keep beating your chest that if "they" were just better at hiring the right guy we'd be above where we were in 2010.

Sorry to disagree but yes we'd be a lot better off with better coaching hires, and no turning into Baylor (despite your carefully worded warning) is not the most likely alternative to being flexible on a case by case basis.

Adesmar123

Can you say UConn? I knew you could!
Reaction Score
I actually think this would be an attractive job for someone. Team gets media coverage and pays. UConn being a national brand has a huge amount of value.
And they have an ice cream bar!

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Randy Edsall is a football coach who succeeded in his first stint at UConn and failed at Maryland and (having failed astoundingly) his UConn second tenure. LIke most human beings, he has good personal qualities and bad personal qualities. Why some people need to act like he's a cross between Machiavelli and the Devil is beyond my comprehension.

Still the best coach this program has had. It will be hard for some to accept that. He and DB tried to recapture the magic and failed. No real shame in that. Everyone hoped a team full of Edsall recruits, four plus years of reestablishing a winning culture and a year off to build up physically would lead to a competent season. After two games, it's clear that isn't happening. There was nowhere left to go but a season of the fanbase tearing itself apart. This announcement pre-empted all of that. There was really no other option and both sides could see it. Randy wasn't going to survive the zero to two win season that was all but certain and leaving now would set the program back even further.

The staff and players will check out to some unknown extent and many will head for the door. It is what it is. All the program can do is try again to right the ship.

Reaction Score
I'm happy he goes out on his terms. For all warts, you can't take away what he got done here 1st go around. But now, it's time for the program to become all grown up. It's not his "baby" anymore. It's time for UConn football to go out and make its own mark. Independent schedule, TV deal, facilities in place.

Lol at Dan Wolken like balloon knots calling our current situation a failure after 2 games as an independent.

Reaction Score
BL, it was great seeing you yesterday.

I've avoided posting for quite a while (got tired of every post turning into an argument). I also wrote most of this post this morning, before the news of RE's imminent retirement and.

Yes, the football program's trajectory over the past decade is a massive problem. Sadly, until things change at a level far higher than the athletic department, there will never be much to look forward to in terms of sustained success, or even success at all.

For reasons that I've never been able to comprehend, any time that UConn has had aspirations (in any field), it has been met with resistance by people within the school, elected officials, people who had some access to media (before the information age and subsequent social media) and private citizens who didn't mind getting loud while voicing their complaints. The idea of the school having ambitions makes a lot of people uncomfortable. This is what needs to change and until it does change we will be climbing a greased rope when trying to build a football program.

I'd wager heavily that when Jim Calhoun said "it's doable" in response to being questioned about the possibility winning a national championship here, if people actually believed it could be done, they would have sabotaged his career here before it began. Hell, we had to lie about the size of (then yet to be named) Gampel prior to approval.

Yes, we need a change in leadership in the football program but if all we do is hire a new head coach every few years, hoping he can accomplish something we'll never get anywhere. Diaco had to go, he had to go weeks, months before DB pulled the trigger. I'm not sure that anyone who is still allowed unsupervised in public is as detached from reality as Diaco was back then. Benedict unfortunately also has his hands tied at the time he brought RE in. He had extremely limited resources, he needed someone who understood the unique challenges of building a program in the northeast (yes, all programs face challenges, they don't necessarily face the same challenges) and he felt finding someone who had been through it before and had some level of success (something nobody else did here) was at worst a way to stabilize the program. He also placed two young coordinators on the staff (contrary to popular boneyard belief, Crocker was DB's decision, not RE's) to be potential replacements for RE somewhere down the road (for different reasons, neither lasted).

A few things that DB didn't realize:

• How truly depleted (in terms of athleticism) the roster was due to Diaco's recruiting. This played a major role in losing Lashlee (I will address later).
  • The manner (almost identical to his first run here) that RE would manage the rebuild (which I had initially hoped he would accomplish a year or so quicker than the original, but unfortunately appears to be running a couple years longer than that one).
  • The incompatibility of the talent/athleticism of our defensive personnel with the defense Crocker attempted to install.
  • The incompatibility of Lashlee's offense with a defense that couldn't get off the field (Lashlee grudgingly agreed to slowing it down for the sake of the team).
Temple (and Memphis) were able to endure decades of inept football, land a great hire, reach heights they never could have imagined, lose that great hire and then slog, along hoping to one day find their next great hire. We've floundered for a decade (with a minor bowl appearance in that decade) and have been hearing the "we need to drop to FCS" talk for a few years. If our great hire doesn't come soon, those who want football to fail here (and there are far too many that should want success who would greatly prefer failure) will get their wish.

There are things that I really don't get about the current state of the football program. I realize that resources for the football program currently aren't what we'd like (and until the KO settlement happens this won't change) so the idea that we could have landed Joe Moorhead (currently with Oregon) is ridiculous. I do not however understand why we couldn't have landed his protege (Andrew Breiner, arrived at UConn before Moorehead) who currently works for Butch Davis at FIU.

I don't get that we weren't even able to outplay an FCS school in the trenches. Yes, they had a 300lb guard and a 290lb tackle, rarities for their level but even including them, we faced a team who's linemen (offensive and defensive) were 20-30lbs lighter per man and less athletic than what we will normally face. What happened on both lines of scrimmage yesterday baffles me (and it will be much worse against nearly everyone left on our schedule).

I am amazed at how difficult it is for us to find a QB. The kid HC played at QB (true soph from NY State) is better than anyone we've had here in years and bigger than all but Leon on our roster. When he had to come off the field (his helmet came off), the kid they brought in (also a true soph) had more poise than our starting QB.

I don't get how, with two starting LBs who are really 210lb safeties, we didn't have sufficient speed at LB to stop an FCS school.

After what we've seen the past two weeks it would be insane to continue with Jack Zergiotis at QB. One sad reality is (contrary to boneyard opinion), going into this season there was zero reason to believe that he wasn't clearly the best option. Shy some miracle, our answer at QB is/will be during Tyler Phommachanh's redshirt sophomore season (it would be unreasonable to believe he'd be ready earlier) and with what we currently have on the offensive line, he'd get killed before the middle of next year at the earliest.

Our roster is flush with what appears to be a lot of very young talent. Our next head coach should have a good amount to work with. It will be far easier to increase excitement, enthusiasm towards the program thinking the new regime needs year two to be truly competitive than being told the current regime will get there in two more years. I don't believe that this would be anywhere near as impactful on the players as most believe and it will be entirely for those outside of the roster, but the kids who will be returning next season won't be carrying the baggage of RE's first run with the program, his departure after the Fiesta Bowl, the P years, the Diaco years or the first couple of years of RE II.

We need to make a change but it can't merely be change for the sake of change. Hopefully DB has already been working on a list. While I'm sure that he will be able to communicate the 'difficulties' inherent with the job (having experienced them himself), hopefully the hire will understand them well enough prior to facing them that they won't undermine his ability to succeed. I believe DB can also communicate the positives that success here can bring, hopefully the best candidate will have sufficient vision to see this as this is where we will or will not sell the position.

If you want to be angry about the position we are in, be angry with those who were running the school decades ago that felt competing in the Yankee conference offering fewer football scholarships than many schools offered in basketball was acceptable. Be angry with those who were completely dismissive of the idea of moving up to play 'big boy football' for more than a decade after the D1-D1A split and spent the following half decade ignoring the idea. Be angry with those who responded with enmity when the idea of modeling UConn after the University of Michigan was presented (I saw this first hand in the late 1980's). Be angry with the fact that we were basically rudderless for a decade when we were achieving our greatest success (had either a lame duck, interim or looking for greener pastures president), allowing Hathaway to squander a massive amount of perception capital built by head coaches who despised his lack of support and his efforts to claim credit for what was accomplished in spite of him, not because of him.

We can't go part-way, thinking we can try something, if it doesn't work, try something new, ending up on a treadmill similar to the past ten years. We can't do a lazy search (Hathaway hiring P). We can't do a cost-effective retread (RE II) no matter how logical it may appear and we absolutely cannot afford someone with a lot of style but little substance (Diaco), even if he doesn't become completely detached to avoid realizing he is in over his head. Contrary to what the naysayers are preaching, there is enough here for us to be competitive in the not too distant future and, at some point become highly competitive. We will however need more than merely a new coach, we will need to fight (and defeat) those who are against the idea of our competing at this level in football.

everyone should read this!! Thank you.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Not enough people appreciated the job Edsall did in his first tenure and oddly, even in retrospect, some people still don't appreciate how impressive that run was.

I hated how Edsall left, though my interpretation of the why (Hathaway and academic requirements) at least helps to explain the circumstances of his departure.

I was totally on board with bringing him, but I was wrong and it failed miserably.

I'll never forget being at The Rent in 00s and beating West Virginia, Pitt, Rutgers, Syracuse, Louisville, Cincinnati and other now "P5" programs.

It sucks this is a lame duck season just two games in, but this had to be done.

This next hire will be telling as to what UConn's investment and commitment in having a competitive FBS program is.

God help us ending the season with Clemson UCF and Houston.

Reaction Score
Excellent post! It would not surprise me if DB keeping RE until the end of the season and letting him leave with dignity was contingent on starting Steven Krajewski or Micah next week.
It wouldn’t be the first time an Athletic Director told the head coach who would be starting.

Reaction Score
BL, it was great seeing you yesterday.

I've avoided posting for quite a while (got tired of every post turning into an argument). I also wrote most of this post this morning, before the news of RE's imminent retirement and.

Yes, the football program's trajectory over the past decade is a massive problem. Sadly, until things change at a level far higher than the athletic department, there will never be much to look forward to in terms of sustained success, or even success at all.

For reasons that I've never been able to comprehend, any time that UConn has had aspirations (in any field), it has been met with resistance by people within the school, elected officials, people who had some access to media (before the information age and subsequent social media) and private citizens who didn't mind getting loud while voicing their complaints. The idea of the school having ambitions makes a lot of people uncomfortable. This is what needs to change and until it does change we will be climbing a greased rope when trying to build a football program.

I'd wager heavily that when Jim Calhoun said "it's doable" in response to being questioned about the possibility winning a national championship here, if people actually believed it could be done, they would have sabotaged his career here before it began. Hell, we had to lie about the size of (then yet to be named) Gampel prior to approval.

Yes, we need a change in leadership in the football program but if all we do is hire a new head coach every few years, hoping he can accomplish something we'll never get anywhere. Diaco had to go, he had to go weeks, months before DB pulled the trigger. I'm not sure that anyone who is still allowed unsupervised in public is as detached from reality as Diaco was back then. Benedict unfortunately also has his hands tied at the time he brought RE in. He had extremely limited resources, he needed someone who understood the unique challenges of building a program in the northeast (yes, all programs face challenges, they don't necessarily face the same challenges) and he felt finding someone who had been through it before and had some level of success (something nobody else did here) was at worst a way to stabilize the program. He also placed two young coordinators on the staff (contrary to popular boneyard belief, Crocker was DB's decision, not RE's) to be potential replacements for RE somewhere down the road (for different reasons, neither lasted).

A few things that DB didn't realize:

• How truly depleted (in terms of athleticism) the roster was due to Diaco's recruiting. This played a major role in losing Lashlee (I will address later).
  • The manner (almost identical to his first run here) that RE would manage the rebuild (which I had initially hoped he would accomplish a year or so quicker than the original, but unfortunately appears to be running a couple years longer than that one).
  • The incompatibility of the talent/athleticism of our defensive personnel with the defense Crocker attempted to install.
  • The incompatibility of Lashlee's offense with a defense that couldn't get off the field (Lashlee grudgingly agreed to slowing it down for the sake of the team).
Temple (and Memphis) were able to endure decades of inept football, land a great hire, reach heights they never could have imagined, lose that great hire and then slog, along hoping to one day find their next great hire. We've floundered for a decade (with a minor bowl appearance in that decade) and have been hearing the "we need to drop to FCS" talk for a few years. If our great hire doesn't come soon, those who want football to fail here (and there are far too many that should want success who would greatly prefer failure) will get their wish.

There are things that I really don't get about the current state of the football program. I realize that resources for the football program currently aren't what we'd like (and until the KO settlement happens this won't change) so the idea that we could have landed Joe Moorhead (currently with Oregon) is ridiculous. I do not however understand why we couldn't have landed his protege (Andrew Breiner, arrived at UConn before Moorehead) who currently works for Butch Davis at FIU.

I don't get that we weren't even able to outplay an FCS school in the trenches. Yes, they had a 300lb guard and a 290lb tackle, rarities for their level but even including them, we faced a team who's linemen (offensive and defensive) were 20-30lbs lighter per man and less athletic than what we will normally face. What happened on both lines of scrimmage yesterday baffles me (and it will be much worse against nearly everyone left on our schedule).

I am amazed at how difficult it is for us to find a QB. The kid HC played at QB (true soph from NY State) is better than anyone we've had here in years and bigger than all but Leon on our roster. When he had to come off the field (his helmet came off), the kid they brought in (also a true soph) had more poise than our starting QB.

I don't get how, with two starting LBs who are really 210lb safeties, we didn't have sufficient speed at LB to stop an FCS school.

After what we've seen the past two weeks it would be insane to continue with Jack Zergiotis at QB. One sad reality is (contrary to boneyard opinion), going into this season there was zero reason to believe that he wasn't clearly the best option. Shy some miracle, our answer at QB is/will be during Tyler Phommachanh's redshirt sophomore season (it would be unreasonable to believe he'd be ready earlier) and with what we currently have on the offensive line, he'd get killed before the middle of next year at the earliest.

Our roster is flush with what appears to be a lot of very young talent. Our next head coach should have a good amount to work with. It will be far easier to increase excitement, enthusiasm towards the program thinking the new regime needs year two to be truly competitive than being told the current regime will get there in two more years. I don't believe that this would be anywhere near as impactful on the players as most believe and it will be entirely for those outside of the roster, but the kids who will be returning next season won't be carrying the baggage of RE's first run with the program, his departure after the Fiesta Bowl, the P years, the Diaco years or the first couple of years of RE II.

We need to make a change but it can't merely be change for the sake of change. Hopefully DB has already been working on a list. While I'm sure that he will be able to communicate the 'difficulties' inherent with the job (having experienced them himself), hopefully the hire will understand them well enough prior to facing them that they won't undermine his ability to succeed. I believe DB can also communicate the positives that success here can bring, hopefully the best candidate will have sufficient vision to see this as this is where we will or will not sell the position.

If you want to be angry about the position we are in, be angry with those who were running the school decades ago that felt competing in the Yankee conference offering fewer football scholarships than many schools offered in basketball was acceptable. Be angry with those who were completely dismissive of the idea of moving up to play 'big boy football' for more than a decade after the D1-D1A split and spent the following half decade ignoring the idea. Be angry with those who responded with enmity when the idea of modeling UConn after the University of Michigan was presented (I saw this first hand in the late 1980's). Be angry with the fact that we were basically rudderless for a decade when we were achieving our greatest success (had either a lame duck, interim or looking for greener pastures president), allowing Hathaway to squander a massive amount of perception capital built by head coaches who despised his lack of support and his efforts to claim credit for what was accomplished in spite of him, not because of him.

We can't go part-way, thinking we can try something, if it doesn't work, try something new, ending up on a treadmill similar to the past ten years. We can't do a lazy search (Hathaway hiring P). We can't do a cost-effective retread (RE II) no matter how logical it may appear and we absolutely cannot afford someone with a lot of style but little substance (Diaco), even if he doesn't become completely detached to avoid realizing he is in over his head. Contrary to what the naysayers are preaching, there is enough here for us to be competitive in the not too distant future and, at some point become highly competitive. We will however need more than merely a new coach, we will need to fight (and defeat) those who are against the idea of our competing at this level in football.

Great post.

It’s amazing that we won’t spend more on better coordinators and position coaches. That sort of thing pays for itself when the play improves and attendance goes.

College football is about the coaches. The players change but the coaches remain. They recruit and make the game plans.

The last time the team was undeniably good, we had a murderers row of good coaches on the sideline.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom