Randy Edsall to retire @ end of season | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Randy Edsall to retire @ end of season

Reaction Score
Yes. I don't care about their resumes. Edsall is a dinosaur and is killing the program by the day. The first step towards improvement would be to get grandpa out of the program, immediately.
Who would you have named interim? Eddie Allen? Corey?

Reaction Score
If your statement has to clarify that the decision to retire was made by the coach, the decision to retire was not made by the coach.

This was a 100% orchestrated "retirement" by AD Dave. I'm not unhappy with this instead of immediate firing. Regardless of the last four seasons, Randy did make immeasurable contributions to the program over his time and deserves a bit of dignity in going out. This season is a total lost cause anyway and we would not make a permanent new hire now. There's no harm in letting the season play out when the only other option is some random coordinator is acting HC and we go 1-9 at best the rest of the way.
Dignity? I don't know. After the way he left the Fiesta Bowl for MD he used that token.

Reaction Score
Moving on from a coach who has failed this badly and doesn't even have a buyout isn't exactly a tough decision.

I think his hands were tied last coaching search so I don't blame him too much for Edsall, but finding the right coach now is where he proves himself.
He seems to have a lot of connections

Reaction Score
So what’s everyone’s early bets on the next guy. Feeling it’ll be a Connecticut guy who coaches hard. Who fills that mold?

Reaction Score
I think this a BS move all around. He and the coaches will not be recruiting at all or if they are with no chance success. Come play for the next guy at UConn. We will let you know who he is sometime.

He should have been fired. The team will be no better with him versus an interim head coach until the end of the year. If DB sacked up and fired him, an interim coach and remain8ng staff would be on an audition And could have had a chance recruiting and build a reason to be retained. The next coach will not be named until the end of their season so that is about 90 days of no recruiting. That is a pretty big hole.

Reaction Score
Amen to that. Moorhead would be a slam dunk if we can get him.
The more realistic person who was once on our staff would be Todd Orlando, still waiting for his first chance to be a head coach. I doubt we could get Morehead.

But I'm fine getting away from the Edsall tree entirely if I'm the AD. Hire from the outside, and just suggest they give Corey a chance given how well he seems to relate to young men in recruiting.

Reaction Score
The more realistic person who was once on our staff would be Todd Orlando, still waiting for his first chance to be a head coach. I doubt we could get Morehead.

But I'm fine getting away from the Edsall tree entirely if I'm the AD. Hire from the outside, and just suggest they give Corey a chance given how well he seems to relate to young men in recruiting.

I agree that the next coach would be smart to want to keep Corey around.

I too was wondering if Orlovsky might be thinking of Orlando.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
There is no one on the staff to take over. At least Randy can try to hold his creation together for the next guy if he is so inclined. I also suspect you will see a bunch of the old guys stopping in to say goodbye. That might be worth something to the current team.

Maybe this is a way to give Corey a chance to stay on with next staff.

He is the only coach I would want to see held over- if it's possible.

I realize it's beyond awkward to have ex-coach's son on your staff but Corey has been such a clutch recruiter, including many of this upcoming class's top players.

Reaction Score
So what’s everyone’s early bets on the next guy. Feeling it’ll be a Connecticut guy who coaches hard. Who fills that mold?
First call is Bill O'Brien imo. He will decline the offer, and I doubt we could afford him. But he's a NE guy who knows offense and is currently in the Nick Saban rehab program - so an attractive target.

Reaction Score
I agree that the next coach would be smart to want to keep Corey around.

I too was wondering if Orlovsky might be thinking of Orlando.

I like him just I'd really like an offensive coach this time. If you make the right coordinator hires it doesn't really matter, but unless we are going to spend more on the staff its going to be tough.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Need to double their existing financial commitment if we want to be taken seriously. $2M for a HC and $2-$2.5 for an assistant pool

To be serious as a mid-tier FBS team, you need to add $500k-$1M to HC and also to asst coach pool. Good coordinators are $750k each.

Reaction Score
Maybe this is a way to give Corey a chance to stay on with next staff.

He is the only coach I would want to see held over- if it's possible.

I realize it's beyond awkward to have ex-coach's son on your staff but Corey has been such a clutch recruiter, including many of this upcoming class's top players.

No, keeping Corey isn't awkward for the new coach because neither Corey nor HCRE is a threat. HCRE will never coach on a college field again, and Corey is too young and inexperienced to be a threat. The only issue is whether Corey is uncomfortable being there, or if the new guy wants only coaches they have a connection to, but while in some instances having the ex-coach's son on your staff could be uncomfortable, this isn't one of them.

Reaction Score
I like him just I'd really like an offensive coach this time. If you make the right coordinator hires it doesn't really matter, but unless we are going to spend more on the staff its going to be tough.

Rob Ambrose? Everyone used to reject his personality, the guy has been a huge success at Towson.

Edit: not a huge success, but a success. Above .500 with some good years.

Reaction Score
Dan O sending up the bat signal for Joe Moorhead. Program is personal to him. And agree with the personal notion
Dan O didn’t play for morehead, he played for Ambrose. He is partly responsible for RE 2.0 hiring

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Pressure is on DB now to find his replacement. Unless they already know who it will be.
Haven’t read the whole thread yet but it feels like a work to turn the keys over to Corey or Dan-O.

Reaction Score
You are probably right, however I would be somewhat interested to see Spanos take the reigns. Do I think the results would be different? Probably not but you don't know until you try.

I would expect Spanos to change offensive coordinators.
The defense hasn’t looked to good so I can’t really see Spanos taking over

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom