Randy Edsall on State of the Program | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Randy Edsall on State of the Program

Reaction Score
To put the 40 times in perspective, we just signed a high school kid who is 350 lbs and is reported to run it in a time of 4.95 seconds. So apparently, we can't find many people who are AT LEAST 100 POUNDS LIGHTER that can run it 0.3 seconds quicker?!? Astounding...

I would take all recruiting stats, height, weight, strength, and speed with a grain of salt as many of them are fudged. Here are the 247 top rated kids for 2018 by position with 40 yard times from ESPN (these are ESPN tested times not reported on some web site):

QB: 4.78
RB: 4.53
WR: 4.53
TE: 4.76
OT: 5.41
OG: 5.60
OC: 5.23
WDE: 4.66
DT: 4.95
SDE: 4.58
ILB: 4.95
OLB: 4.62
CB: 4.57
S: 4.52
Athlete: 4.76

In other words, a 4.63 40 yard dash is a very fast time and anybody who thinks high school football programs are overflowing with kids that fast is crazy. Remember, most kids should improve speed when they get to college and this is what we see in the NFL combine.

As for Travis Jones, his ESPN tested 40 is 5.65. If he ran a 4.95 40 at 350 pounds, he would have been among the top 5 DTs in the country.

Here are some UConn players:

Kevin Mensah: 4.63
Quayvon Skanes 4.61
Tyler Coyle 4.61
Ja'Kevious Vickers 4.63 (Not sure what his issue was at UConn)
Jay Rose 4.75
Tyler Davis 4.79

A couple of recruits:

Hunter Webb 4.68
Steve Krajewski 4.97

Reaction Score
There was a time when it seemed like more than 50% of the kids listed in skill positions on the recruiting sites listed 4.4 speeds. Obviously that was a lot of bull. That said, we are slow. Especially on defense. Edsall will address that, but it is going to take some time. I have no idea what Diaco was trying to accomplish with his recruiting. Like most of what he did and said it was bizarre.

Reaction Score
I would take all recruiting stats, height, weight, strength, and speed with a grain of salt as many of them are fudged. Here are the 247 top rated kids for 2018 by position with 40 yard times from ESPN (these are ESPN tested times not reported on some web site):

In other words, a 4.63 40 yard dash is a very fast time and anybody who thinks high school football programs are overflowing with kids that fast is crazy. Remember, most kids should improve speed when they get to college and this is what we see in the NFL combine.

As for Travis Jones, his ESPN tested 40 is 5.65. If he ran a 4.95 40 at 350 pounds, he would have been among the top 5 DTs in the country.

Quayvon Skanes 4.61
Tyler Coyle 4.61
Jay Rose 4.75
Tyler Davis 4.79

A couple of recruits:

Hunter Webb 4.68
Steve Krajewski 4.97
Take those times with a grain of salt. Coyle ran a confirmed 10.78 100m which translates to a 4.4x

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score

Quayvon Skanes 4.61
Tyler Coyle 4.61
Jay Rose 4.75
Tyler Davis 4.79

A couple of recruits:

Hunter Webb 4.68
Steve Krajewski 4.97

That may be. But it's not just the sites that are reporting it. I think it was the New Haven Register that wrote a story with Jones running a 5.0 flat. So I actually don't know which to believe. What I do know is that 4.6 is something that we should expect the vast majority of our receivers, db's, and rb's to achieve...

Reaction Score
Take those times with a grain of salt. Coyle ran a confirmed 10.78 100m which translates to a 4.4x

I disagree. The kids are tested by a reputable source and there is some level of consistency. Plus, kids perform differently on different days. Look at Coyle. There is some variability from meet to meet. Also, some races are run with the wind and some are against the wind. Here are his last 5 100 meter times in the 2016 outdoor season:

June 11th: 11.20
June 11th: 11.22
June 6th: 10.92
June 6th: 10.79
June 1st: 10.78

I don't think you can directly translate 100 meter times to 40 yard dashes as shorter and quicker athletes can have fast 40s, but lose to a long strider in the 100 meters. That said, Coyle is fast.

Reaction Score
That may be. But it's not just the sites that are reporting it. I think it was the New Haven Register that wrote a story with Jones running a 5.0 flat. So I actually don't know which to believe. What I do know is that 4.6 is something that we should expect the vast majority of our receivers, db's, and rb's to achieve...

Some of you don't believe the ESPN times. Do you think the NFL draft combine times are accurate? I do.

For DTs over the past 3 years, 59 DTs over 295 lbs have been tested and 10 have had times of 5.00 seconds or less. I'm skeptical that a high school DT at 350 pounds is running a super elite 40 yard dash time.

Reaction Score
Here are the NFL combine stats on the 40 yard dash. These are the elite college football players.

% of players over the past 2 years that posted a 4.63 or better by position:

QB: 6.7%
RB: 82.4%
WR: 84.8%
TE: 27.8% (TE position is changing)
OL: 0%
DE: 7.1%
DT: 0.0%
LB: 20.9%
DB: 91.2%

If UConn can get back to 23+ kids running 4.63 or better, UConn will win.

Reaction Score
I just want to know when and where ESPN (or who on behalf of ESPN - ?Scout?) tested them.
espn is literally the worst recruiting website out there. I don't trust anything they say

Reaction Score
I just want to know when and where ESPN (or who on behalf of ESPN - ?Scout?) tested them.

ESPN uses the Nike Combine results, which are held throughout the country. Kids are measured height, weight, 40 yard dash, 20-yard shuttle, vertical jump, power throw, and SPARQ rating. Not all kids complete all of the tests. And, if a kid doesn't attend, there are no results on their ESPN recruiting profile.

I trust these results more than any other results that I see on line.

Here is the link to the results from the April 3o, 2017 NJ combine and you can find some UConn recruits like Jones, Harris, Lazarus.

Nike Football The Opening

Reaction Score
ESPN uses the Nike Combine results, which are held throughout the country. Kids are measured height, weight, 40 yard dash, 20-yard shuttle, vertical jump, power throw, and SPARQ rating. Not all kids complete all of the tests. And, if a kid doesn't attend, there are no results on their ESPN recruiting profile.

I trust these results more than any other results that I see on line.

Here is the link to the results from the April 3o, 2017 NJ combine and you can find some UConn recruits like Jones, Harris, Lazarus.

Nike Football The Opening

Ok - I would agree if it’s a Nike Combine event w/ in theory, standardized practice. If a particular kid didn’t attend a Nike Combine and went to an Under Armour event instead it’s a different source (but probably as reliable).

Non-designated handheld versus electronic timing has always been an issue.

Uconnalliance

Please cancel the program all hope is lost
Reaction Score
To put the 40 times in perspective, we just signed a high school kid who is 350 lbs and is reported to run it in a time of 4.95 seconds. So apparently, we can't find many people who are AT LEAST 100 POUNDS LIGHTER that can run it 0.3 seconds quicker?!? Astounding...
Is the moon full here on the Yard?

Reaction Score
So let’s guess on the five that could run under 4.64 last spring which is before the new kids came; Maybe
Coyle
Mayala
Skanes
Summers
Bell.

Dixon is under 4.6

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Dixon is under 4.6
Good one, replace Bell with Dixon.

I dont think Junior Joseph was a sub 4.6 guy, more like 4.9. He did fine meeting RBS in the hole head on, but I dont recall him chasing many QBs and RBs from behind. In fact, his in ability to rush the QB was most frustrating given his run defense talents and overall top notch effort.

Reaction Score

To be fair, 4.6 is very fast for a 250 pounder. Jerry Rice ran a 4.6.

Reaction Score
I continue to fail to see the allure of the block C. It's childish, archaic, boring, and doesn't identify the University or the team. It could just as easily be Cincinnati, Clemson, Colorado, or the Chicago Bears for god sake.

No attack "geordi" simply a different opinion...:) To say a block C is childish would be like one would giggle when they see the block M or the block R. Anyone who follows sports know what school it represents. To say it is archaic is silly, it is simply a font, roman numerals are archaic and they have done quite well for the Super Bowl for decades.
The fact is in our D1 early days everyone agreed the only thing we did not have was history. Warde and Susie let NIKE convince them we needed re-branding and it was simply a big money grab / mistake. Our smiling dog was recognized nationwide as was the block C with UConn football, the little history we had.

I personally like the block C and welcome it back. I think the allure for many is that was a symbol of a program on the rise, having better results on the field than we have seen since it was removed. My guess is many think of the C as standing for Comfort...;) We no longer have to worry about zone blocking, fish cakes or what color pants the head coach will be wearing on the field. With that brings Confidence, that our team will be Challenging for Conference Championships.

Reaction Score
No attack "geordi" simply a different opinion...:) To say a block C is childish would be like one would giggle when they see the block M or the block R. Anyone who follows sports know what school it represents. To say it is archaic is silly, it is simply a font, roman numerals are archaic and they have done quite well for the Super Bowl for decades.
The fact is in our D1 early days everyone agreed the only thing we did not have was history. Warde and Susie let NIKE convince them we needed re-branding and it was simply a big money grab / mistake. Our smiling dog was recognized nationwide as was the block C with UConn football, the little history we had.

I personally like the block C and welcome it back. I think the allure for many is that was a symbol of a program on the rise, having better results on the field than we have seen since it was removed. My guess is many think of the C as standing for Comfort...;) We no longer have to worry about zone blocking, fish cakes or what color pants the head coach will be wearing on the field. With that brings Confidence, that our team will be Challenging for Conference Championships.
I personally don't like the block C but I do think they made a mistake changing the husky.

For helmets, I have always been partial to the script "UConn"

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
To be fair, 4.6 is very fast for a 250 pounder. Jerry Rice ran a 4.6.

Granted. When I said at least 100 pounds less, I should have said 130 less or more.

Butt I stand by the statement that the majority of WRs and RBs should make the 4.63 cut...

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
I used to play basketball regularly in Guyer with people from the practice squad to baseball players to football players. Now admittedly, I was one of the fastest people in the gym, but I was still quite surprised to learn how slow the football players were. Most were average speed for the general basketball population, with the exception of DeSean Foxx who was regularly my opposite. But boy were the linebackers in particular slow. I (and a lot of other people) got a serious kick out of leaving supposedly D-1 athletes in the dust. Pasqualoni and Diaco really screwed us.

Reaction Score
I don't think they should put anything on the helmet till they win something meaningful. Let them play in practice uniforms until they earn the respect of the fans and the nation in the form of a bowl invite or a top 25 ranking. Why spend a penny on uniform changes when over half of their home stadium is empty every game? Earn it Huskies!

Reaction Score
I don't think they should put anything on the helmet till they win something meaningful. Let them play in practice uniforms until they earn the respect of the fans and the nation in the form of a bowl invite or a top 25 ranking. Why spend a penny on uniform changes when over half of their home stadium is empty every game? Earn it Huskies!
lolwut

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
I used to play basketball regularly in Guyer with people from the practice squad to baseball players to football players. Now admittedly, I was one of the fastest people in the gym, but I was still quite surprised to learn how slow the football players were. Most were average speed for the general basketball population, with the exception of DeSean Foxx who was regularly my opposite. But boy were the linebackers in particular slow. I (and a lot of other people) got a serious kick out of leaving supposedly D-1 athletes in the dust. Pasqualoni and Diaco really screwed us.

I've heard this too from classmates who I went to school with (graduated 2016). They played a few groups of Diaco guys and said they were not very athletic

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom